Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited by a moderator:
I really really was not expecting those names for the twins, I mean Christian and Isabella have normal names why change it with these two and why all of sudden add mink to the prince's name and ivalo to the princess it sounds weird.

You really think Christian and Isabella are more normal than Vincent and Josephine? Why? They sound all normal to me. And it's a perfect sibling combination: Christian, Isabella, Vincent & Josephine. I have way more problems with the difference between Nikolai (russian), Felix (latin) and Henri (frensh). I understand the difference with Henri in the mix, because he has another mother than his older brothers. But I was always stumbeling a little over the Nikolai-Felix-combination.

I have also always had he same "problem" with Victoria, Carl Philip and Madeleine. The frensh "Madeleine" always stood out in my eyes. Maybe even more because she also has just frensh middle names. And also Carl Philip stood out in a way because of his two names whereas his sisters use just one firstname. But that was always easy to explain with tradition. Carl Gustaf, Carl Philip. I'm still wondering which Carl-name Victoria would choose for her first son and maybe next heir after her. Because I'm sure she will. Maybe Carl Oscar, because a lot of swedish princes had Oscar somewhere in there names. Or Carl Olof? A tradition from her family with the unused first name of her husband? Would be nice.

Anyway, back to the topic. This is no thread about a future Carl Something of Sweden, but about Minik and Ivalo!

I agree with you to a point. Minik takes some getting used to. Maybe because it's very similar to the word "mimic" or "mini" (but hey, at least right now "mini" is a perfect description for the little prince :ROFLMAO:). But Ivalo sounds really nice to me. Maybe because Mary pronounced it so melodic. With a nice touch of an english spoken O at the end whereas she didn't spoke the other three names english (I mean, english still is her native tongue and Josephine, Sophia and Mathilda are very much known in english spoken countries). It was nice to really hear that she is a danish princess these days and not just an "import" from australia. Really, I always read about her being a perfect new dane but it was nice to really see/hear it. Even if it was just by her ponouncing the names of her daughter danish and not english.

Does all of this makes sense? I hope so. It's late here and I'm not sure if I can make myself clear enough in a second language when I'm tired. :whistling:

Oh, I almost forgit to say that I really loved the gesture from Mary and Fred to greenland. And honestly. It could have been worse. No offence to all danish users but QM's greenlandish name is way more confusing, because with this special letter in the beginning I never know how to pronounce this name. Minik and Ivalo are way easier to understand.

Last edited:
Vincent and Josephine are old French names, quite normal, don't forget their grand-father is French ! They do not sound strange for anyone French speaking...

They stole my idea! I'm expecting and, if it's a girl, she's going to be Josephine. I can't fault them for good taste! :)

Another beautiful gallery with the official photos and some close up of the little babies Vincent & Josephine

Se Frederik og Marys egne billeder | Starlounge

What gorgeous photos for the family album. Thanks for putting up the link. I still say I like Mary's headpeace - I guess it could be an "heirloom" which represents all three christenings ! I think I remember (could be wrong) that Mary designed it herself. Am sure I read it somewhere in an article when Christian was christened.

As an addendum: Does anyone have a photo of Mary wearing her blue dress without holding a baby :)

Last edited:
They didn't wore the same kind of gown. Prince Vincent wore the traditional gown & Princess Josephine wore a gown that the Queen had found when she was going through some stuff on Amalienborg. Apparently Queen Ingrid recieved it as a present when Margrethe was going to be christened, but they never used it.

I actually think that the name Ivalo is quite beautiful, I love it's uniqueness. I still have to get used to Vincent though, I see it's beauty (well actually, when I look at the name, I think of the TV show Judging Amy where Amy's brother is called Vincent), but I just don't think it fits when you say "Prince Vincent".

Thank you so much for that information. It is nice Josephine got a historical gown although I would have preferred two new ones for the twins so they could be matching. Just my preference though.

I have seen Judging Amy so I get you reference:flowers:. I agree with the whole "Prince Vincent" thing. The way it sounds is quite odd together. I do however love Alexander and Minik. So I would have liked Alexander Minik Frederick Vincent. Not my kids though.

As for the official pictures..this may belong in the fashion thread but I thought Marie looked off since she changed her dress from the christening. I do like how they released the individual twin with their godparents and then the group shots.

Little Princess Josephine looks very much like her older brother Prince Christian in the close ups though I'd guess they will all look pretty similar. There seems to be a "family look" for all four children.

I don't know who Baroness Helle(?) is but she and Caroline H. were immaculately dressed! The lady in the short purple mini-dress with the black fingerless lace gloves from the Madonna "Lucky Star" video should be ashamed. Oh, and the dusty pink cloche hat is Phillip Traecy.
:easterbunny:

I don't know who Baroness Helle(?) is but she and Caroline H. were immaculately dressed! The lady in the short purple mini-dress with the black fingerless lace gloves from the Madonna "Lucky Star" video should be ashamed. Oh, and the dusty pink cloche hat is Phillip Traecy.
:easterbunny:
They are Mary's friends and Caroline is also her lady in waiting

Why have Princes Henrik, Joachim, Nikolai and Felix gone by boat?

Isabella is like a little Tigger bouncing about the place.

Well...That is how I got my nickname as Tigger, so you never know. :D

Okay, On topic...

I like the names, so I guess I'm in the minority. Then again, I've always liked Vincent, so there is that. :)

W/The Stanley Cup Playoffs on and me trying to plan two separate trips/booking rooms w/in the next month, I was so busy the last couple of days, I forgot the Christening was yesterday. :eek:

Love the pictures that I have seen so far and Isabella was just too cute for words.

Did I read right that HM did the needlework on those chairs the little ones were sitting in? She's such a multi talented lady if that's true.

Vincent and Josephine ... They do not sound strange for anyone French speaking...
Or anyone German speaking.
This really seems to be a language/pronounciation barrier thing. It was quite interesting to read the comments and then look where the commentator comes from. Portugese speakers seem to dislike both names, English speakers seem to have a problem with Vincent ....

Loved watching the christening on the computer- we are lucky to be able to do so.
Mary looked gorgeous ,as did the kids- so cute... Do we know what dress Princess Isabella was wearing- was it by a Danish designer? thanks :)

Why is Caroline Herring in the picture? Is she a godmother?

Beautiful children, all four of them, but the names of the twins are horrible, especially as they are twins, I wish they had gone for CP Mary's mother's name Henrietta, I don't like it but it is better than Josephine. Of course all apologies to the Josephines on the forum, but it is my own opinion of the name, and I bet a lot of you wouldn't like my real name. I was really hoping for Margaret in the Danish form for the girl and perhaps Henry for the boy, but then they are the parents and they like these names and that is what is important.

Oh, I almost forgit to say that I really loved the gesture from Mary and Fred to greenland. And honestly. It could have been worse. No offence to all danish users but QM's greenlandish name is way more confusing, because with this special letter in the beginning I never know how to pronounce this name. Minik and Ivalo are way easier to understand.
It´s not greenlandish, but from the Faroese (from the Faroe Islands) :flowers:

Thank you so much for that information. It is nice Josephine got a historical gown although I would have preferred two new ones for the twins so they could be matching. Just my preference though.
You can read more the christening gown here: TRH The Crown Prince Couple - The Christening Robe

As for the official pictures..this may belong in the fashion thread but I thought Marie looked off since she changed her dress from the christening.
She didn´t change, she just took off her coat :flowers:

I'm a bit disappointed in the choice of names (especially Vincent) but as someone else has said, they're not my children!

Mary's blue dress was attractive, but I don't care for that cream headgear or fascinator.

I thought Marie looked much better than Mary, really lovely.

So did Baroness Helle.

Everyone else was just passable, nothing special.
Here is a pic x 3
Marys genbrug - Royalt - SE og HØR

:previous:It has definitely been flattened out each time! I never really looked at how much more 'up' it was for the first christening.

English speakers seem to have a problem with Vincent ....

It's true, I don't care for the name very much :D

Alexander would have been, impo, a nicer name for the wee Prince.

Josephine (articulated with a soft 'J') is quite pretty. A lovely choice of name.

Last edited:
This really seems to be a language/pronounciation barrier thing. It was quite interesting to read the comments and then look where the commentator comes from. Portugese speakers seem to dislike both names, English speakers seem to have a problem with Vincent ....
Yes it does. Wonder what these threads would have looked like if the Internet had been available when QM christened her second son Joachim;) Now that was a name people had an opinion about! But of course we saw loads of little Joachims in the following years.

Personally, I love their choice of Vincent! It sounds beautiful in Danish IMO. I knew the name from the late bishop of Funen - Vincent Lind - a very distinguished looking man with a great name.
I'm personally happy that the CP couple did not choose Alexander as the first name - way too many Alexanders in DK.
I have noticed all the US/UK transformations of the name Vincent to Vinny etc. But Danes do not abbreviate names in the same way that eg. Americans do. He will be called Vincent - not Vinny or whatever

Is Josephine not an uncommon or unheard of name in royalty?

Vincent happens to be my confirmation name :whistling:

Is Josephine not an uncommon or unheard of name in royalty?

Vincent happens to be my confirmation name :whistling:

Josephine is common in royalty as most the times that I have seen as a middle name. But that with being said think of Grand duchess Josphine-Charlotte of Luxomberg, formerly princess of Belgium

That's what I realised too. Vincent seems to be a complete no-go, while Alexander (a really boring name IMO) is voted the better choice. Why is that? That really interests me. Is Vincent oldfashioned in english speaking countries? Just like a lot of the users (not just here but all over the internet) think Josephine is? In Germany both names are modern again. Especially Josephine but Vincent is coming back too. Just take a look at german name forums.

Or is it just the Vince/Vinnie thing? That's absolutely no argument against Vincent. He wouldn't be called Vince/Vinnie in Denmark. Just like Josephine wouldn't be called Jo/Joey/Josie or Isabella wouldn't be called Isa or Bella (at least I have never seen a newspaper use a shortform for Isabella. And don't forget Christian or Frederik or Joachim. I never ever saw or heard any newspaper call them Chris, Fred or Jo (or the Queen Maggie). If ever, they would have other short forms. Sweden is a very good example. Victoria is Vickan over there and not Vicky. And Madeleines friend Louise is Lussan and not Lou. And don't forget that not everyone is a fan of short forms. In english speaking countries short forms are very common and loved but in other countries they're not. Denmark seems to be such a country. Again, this is just plain interest and not me trying to start an argument. ;) It would be nice to get an answer.

Ah! Thanks for correcting me. You know, I already was wondering why they just honored Greenland and not also the Faroer Islands. Now it makes sense. They didn't need to because the family already had. :flowers: But nevertheless, it is a confusing name. I never know how to pronounce it. Is there a name website or a video from QM christning somewhere where I can hear it?

Last edited:

You can read more the christening gown here: TRH The Crown Prince Couple - The Christening Robe

She didn´t change, she just took off her coat :flowers:

Her name is Icelandic and not from the faroe islands. Iceland was still a part of Denmark in 1940.

And you can listen to the pronounciaton here http://da.forvo.com/word/margrethe_alexandrine_þórhildur_ingrid/

just hit the arrow button

And some more info http://www.nordicnames.de/wiki/Þórhildur

Last edited:
Her name is Icelandic and not from the faroe islands. Iceland was still a part of Denmark in 1940.
Hmm, I´ve always heard it was from the Faroe Islands, but I stand corrected :flowers:

an incredible she has a shape, you can not say she has 4 kids!:flowers:

As a woman who has gone through five pregnancies, I don't find it difficult to be in shape. Just don't eat too much, breastfeeding will be helpful to lose some more extra-kilos as well. As to Mary of Denmark, she looks prematurely aged but she was ravishingly dressed at the baptism.

Back
Top Bottom