Christening of Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine: April 14, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
same her. so far members seemed to prefer Josefine over Vincent, but I don't.
Makes me remember Josefa (the Brazilian version of the name) which here is an old fashion name, not in a good way, more in a Gertrude kind of way.
I believe I prefer Vincent more because I 've always like the name Vince.

Just for clarification the brazilan version of the name isn't Josefa but Josefina.

fairy tale said:
I am also not too fond of Vincent but I love Josephine.
In the name guessing thread nobody even mentioned Vincent during 1448 posts ;)

Did anyone guess Josephine?

Tatiana is lovely ahs always, and there as a women in a blue dress that looks just like Eva Longoria...she is just besides Caroline...
Mary is lovely has ussualy but not a big fan of the dress...And Icould't see a picture of letizia yet...quit a bit surprise about Filipe beeing a goodparent to me I think is just one more name because a royal goodparet doens't mean anything...Have you seen Princess Victoria with little Christan yet?? I haven't:whistling:

Prince Henrik is steering the boat! Nikolai and Felix look so smart. Just as princes should be

Did anyone guess Josefine?

Many people guessed Josephine/Josefine. It was one of the most-guessed names.

Regarding the christening gowns - was a replicia made and which baby which gown

biboquinhas said:
...Have you seen Princess Victoria with little Christan yet?? I haven't:whistling:

At her wedding she was very interactive with her Godchildren, especially during the rehersals......Prince Christian for sure

THe plan is to ferry people around in the waterways around Amalienborg while the official photos are being taken.

Thank you - I don't understand any Danish so had no idea why they were doing it.

Prince Henrik, Prince Joachim and Princes Nikolai and Felix have just went back to Amalienborg. Can we expect anything else on the live link?

Vincent - Total surprise, but I like it.
Frederik - Not much surprise there.
Minik - Total surprise. Nice with a greenlandish connection, but apparently it means earwax or congealed fat..?
Alexander - Not a big surprise either. I love it.

Josephine - Was one of the names I had considered. Like it.
Sophia - Sofia was one of my guesses. Love it.
Ivalo - Big surprise. Apparently mean sinew..?
Mathilda - Matilda was one of my guesses. Love it.

The military march they're playning right now was the hymn of the Armed Forces Movement that started the portuguese revolution in 1974

Prince Henrik, Prince Joachim and Princes Nikolai and Felix have just went back to Amalienborg. Can we expect anything else on the live link?

Only the guests walking from Amaliehaven to Amalienborg - and clips of what went on at the church and when they posed outside Amalienborg.

Links from about the greenlandic names:

Minik
Minik (Minik)
Girls and boys name originally from Avanersuaq/Thule. The name has since spread to the rest of Greenland.

Meaning: Samuel Kleinschmidt defines the word minik in his Greenlandic dictionary (Den grønlandske ordbog fra 1871 p. 211), that minik is "1) Blubber, which has become a viscous glue-like substance (of which a thin layer has been exposed to the action of the air, fex. outside, or on the rim of, a blubber vessel); 2) earwax.)"

According to Jonathan Petersen’s ’ordbogêraĸ’ from 1951 p. 101 the word minik means ’hardened layer of fat’.

Kleinschmidt's next entry is: 'minippaa or minitserpaa, pastes the seams of the boat with minik.'

The name Minik might derive from these definitions. A significant portion of Greenlandic names have their origin from the daily life, some of them dealing with the household and its tools, as well as hunting life and its equipment. Minik might belong to this category, however a mainstream interpretation is Kleinscmidt's no. 2 definition.

Minik might also belong under the cathegory of babbling names, which is quite common in Greenlandic names. Minik could derive from the diminutive ending –mineq (inumineq: little piece of man fex.), with the ending remaining. (It would be the same as the German diminutive in Gretchen, where the name Gretel has been omitted in favor of -chen.) Several diminutive endings have found their way into the approved names list, names such as: -nguujuk, -nguaq, -kuluk, which all bear the meaning´dear little one’. Due to cooing with babies and constant use, consonants often weaken. A good example is the girls' name Natuk, which is believed to be a babbling form of inequnartoq (cute and sweet), with the following process: unoqunartoq -> uukunattuk -> nattuk -> natuk). Thus mineq can become minik.

The name is short and easy to pronounce, and this might be the reason why it is so popular. Also the fact that several books were published about the controversy concerning the boy Minik, who in 1897 was brought with his family to New York by Robert E. Peary, might have had an impact on the popularity of the name. According to statistics, only a handful of people (10 persons) bore the name Minik in the 50s, 60s and the 70s. But after the books were published, there was a marked increase of boys being named Minik, 57 persons in the 80s and 84 persons during the 90s.

Number of name bearers: Minik 152 (72 in DK), totalling 224, of which only 4 were girls.

and

Ivalo
The CPC has chosen the old spelling for Ivalo :)
Ivalu (Ivalo)
Girls name originally from the Thule region.

Meaning: sinew.

Number of bearers: Ivalu 128. Ivalo 103.

Well, it was lovely sharing this with all of you! This has been my first time watching something live on the other side of the world on my new computer, and trying to comment on it in real time!

Vincent, don't really like it.
Josephine however, is beautiful.

And the two names are really ugly for Portuguese speakers!
I have to agree with you, com certeza que sim sao horriveis mesmo!:flowers:

And who where the godfathers please?

Where is Victoria??

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont like the name Vincent, but I loveeee the name Josephine!

I must say that I love the prince and princess' names... They are all very unique and it seems that Mary and Frederik love to give their children names that people least expect. Josephine is my fav though because that was my great great grandmother's name and is on my list for when I have children

I would love to see a picture of the Queen and Prince Henrik with all of their grandchildren

Agan theCrown Picely couple creaed a surprise with the names of their twin. Vincnt is nice but I fin Josephin too oldfshioned.

I like Mary's dress but why did she wear the same headpiece again?

Back
Top Bottom