Christening of Prince Christian: January 21, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a christening thread, not a Political Science 101 thread so I have deleted the few posts discussing why Americans don't curtsey. Let's try to be a little more civil when referring to each other's opinions because some people curtsey and some people bow while others do neither.

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Ok then....thanks Mandy..Obviously hit a nerve, anyway... back to the real point of discussion.

HRH the Princess Benedikte looked lovely aswell I thought, and Princess Alexandra of Berleberg...gorgeous!

"MII"

Please start another thread if you wish to discuss curtseying because as of now it is off-topic and all off-topic posts will be deleted. This thread is reserved for the christening of Prince Christian of Denmark.

Mandy
Royal Forums Administrator

I think CP Mary looked so serene and just beautiful in her outfit. Princess Alexandra was so chic in hers.

I watched the baptism from start to finish....this family exudes class...they have truly become my favorites..

A shame the world spends so much time on the British Royal Family...they could learn a thing a two from the Danish Royal Family about how to mix the common with the right amount of royal touch and NEVER come up wrong doing it.

The love between these two people for each other and for that baby is so evident...so true...I truly hope that bond lasts a lifetime.

Prince Christian is a lucky baby to have two parents so much in love and so doting on him..

I don`t know if this has been posted before, but M-M dress was not black. It was in fact aubergine.

must say wasnt to keen on MM outfit , but I so loved Mary jacket.

Wasn´t Amber Petty at the christening?
Odd, at first many people guessed that she would be a godmother... but instead Mary choose her other ausralian friend (Hamid??) Also a good choice but I would have guess for Amber

Yennie said:
Wasn´t Amber Petty at the christening?
Odd, at first many people guessed that she would be a godmother... but instead Mary choose her other ausralian friend (Hamid??) Also a good choice but I would have guess for Amber

yes, Amber was at the christening. she wore a yellow dress with quite a hideous hat (all big & round, but not that pretty) ;)

a few more from cover.es
th_2f7ef_CAE30PMF.jpg

Nikolai & Felix with Joachim or Alexandra

(the last one is from hola... and it shows Alex's fine legs..

Last edited by a moderator:
I Simply can get over how sweet Christian is and how Lovly Mary was (headpiece and skirt included) :) and I Did not recognize Theodora at first wow shes pretty and Marys sister Jane oh my goodness

purple_platinum said:
yes, Amber was at the christening. she wore a yellow dress with quite a hideous hat (all big & round, but not that pretty) ;)
Ah, I see... wasnt there any photos of her? Or was it just me who didn´t recognice her :)

edit: I found an answer :)

In sharp contrast to the royal wedding - when images of Amber were splashed around the world - there appeared to not even be one photograph which captured her attendance, official or otherwise, at the christening ceremony

http://feeds.denmarknews.net/?rid=0d0c4a31992d4dc5&cat=361525af21fa2cde&f=1

Last edited:
sesa said:
I'm very afraid of what she would have looked like had she slapped some makeup on!!!:eek:
Then her face would match the casserolle on her head.

Princess Benedikte was one who managed to use different colours together in a stunning outfit. I think she had purple nylon stockings ?? It would have looked silly on many people, but with Benedikte's grey colours she pulled it off.

Everyone has been talking about Mary, but what about Fred? It appeared his jacket was too small to be closed properly. One of several photos can be seen in platinum purple´s post #504. Picking up sloppy habits from his father?

Mm

MM's outfit may have been aubergine but it was hideous, IMO.

It didn't fit her properly, it was quite bulky and looked like she bought it at Sears or something, jacket wasn't tailored quite right...

Lady Marmalade said:
I think CP Mary looked so serene and just beautiful in her outfit. Princess Alexandra was so chic in hers..
I totally agree.

*Mary's outfit: gracious, beautiful, and unpredictable. Liked the blue of the jacket.
*Alexandra's: I'd already seen the outfit on pictures, but an amazing coat/dress, bar the fur, of which I'm not a big fan.

But, at the same time, watching especially Mary's outfit, I couldn't help but think: "COLD COLD COLD"!!

How is it <possible> she didn't come down with an instant cold in that horrible horrible weather? Yes, the snow gave the day a real Hans Christian Andersen feel, which was nice for us watchers. But for the participants??

My theory of why little Christian (cute little thing, and a total mix of his granddad Henrik and Mary!) was crying, was because he was COLD!

And MAry and Alexandra didn't even seem to be wearing panty hoses/stockings!! Just looking at them made me reach for scarves, gloves, hot chocolate...

Someone was saying they had to <walk> from the palace to the chapel. Is this true? Did Mary have to walk with her naked (so it looked) legs and brave the minus 10 weather? I hope it's not true and they were dropped off in front of the door by a limo.

Vivian Leigh = inspiration?

Isn't there a still pic from Gone with the Wind when Scarlett puts her green Paris hat (the one Rhett schlepped through the blockade for her) on -- Mary looks just like her. Maybe her inspiration for her flower cap?

http://www.dycks.com/vivienleigh/gallery/gwtw/oscar1.htm

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/1337/Mptv/1337/1112_0143.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Leigh,%20Vivien

CP Mary has always reminded me, too, of Vivian Leigh; her millinery for the christening just reinforced that.

It wasnt really that cold for Mary. The car drove them right up to the church and they had about a 20 second walk until they got to the church. It wasnt that bad.

Im Very Surprise That Infanta Leonor Christening Was Not As Grand As This One....

For Anyone Out There That Can Answer My Question: In What Language Was The Ceramony Done Was It In French Or Danish?

Karina the Great said:
Im Very Surprise That Infanta Leonor Christening Was Not As Grand As This One....

For Anyone Out There That Can Answer My Question: In What Language Was The Ceramony Done Was It In French Or Danish?

Danish.

I think Mary looked quite beautiful. I don't think you could call her a classic beauty, but I think she shone that day, even if her outfit wasn't as spectacular as it could have been.

Mette Marit is such an attractive woman. I really wish she had more fashion sense. When she chooses the right outfit, she looks so good.

Karina the Great said:

Danish.

And Infanta Leonor is only the heiress so long as she is the only child of the Crown Prince of Spain. If they have a son (and they are certainly planning on having more children), then he will be the heir and not Leonor. I think it's sad, but it's Spain's business. This is probably the reason for Infanta Leonor's baptism being not as grand (although I think it was still beautiful).

I think someone in the Spanish forums said that the Spanish christenings are traditionally private and more low-key. The Spanish service was not televised. But the Danish christenings usually are televised.

I don't think it has anything to do with Leonor's status as heiress.

I think that is not the reason for a 'smaller' baptism in Spain. Each RF has its own customs, and the catholic ones seem to regard christenings simply as a private event, which leads to them baptising the child among only family and friends (remember the belgian baptisms!). The northern monarchies tend to consider it more public, as an introduction of their child to the nation, so to speak.

I had a strong feeling Haakon and Victoria would be chosen as godparents. I thought it might be Haakon because Fred was his best man, or whatever it is called in Norway, in 2002. And Victoria is practically a standard choice for many of the modern royal christenings. Besides, with these two, the little "kingaroo" will have two future monarchs for godparents. I wasn't expecting Mette Marit to also be a godparent, but that's nice that she was selected too.

Joachim, I expected that one, but I do wish Albert of Monaco had been in his place. I guess the Grimaldis don't rank high enough, or maybe it's because they are Catholic....

I did think that a sibling of Mary would be among the godparents, so Jane is no surprise here.

i don't think a christening missing all big royals and televised a national broadcast would considered a shame. as Marengo stated, each RF has its own custom. Leonor's christening is similar to Emmanuel of Belgium's christening, a more intimate ceremony. Princess Elisabeth is the Belgian heir but her christening is considered more private than Ingrid Alexandra or Catharina-Amalia... i like each christening with its own custom and dissimilarity, and that what makes each one unique..

oh well, here're some photos unposted that i found at polfoto & diezminutos :

I love the first pic where mary is playing with the baby and the baby smiling away! That's very sweet.

I think each royal family has it's own rules and customs. Each have their own style of doing things and in honesty cannot be compared to another. Each royal family is also restricted by their different govt style. I just enjoying seeing the different customs and style of each royal family. Makes it all very interesting.

CasiraghiTrio said:
Joachim, I expected that one, but I do wish Albert of Monaco had been in his place. I guess the Grimaldis don't rank high enough, or maybe it's because they are Catholic....

I do not think they would have chosen Albert...he is not a good example especially that he has a child outside marriage. Plus, the Grimaldi family is bit dysfunctional IMO...

the Grimaldis are not that close to the other royal families in Europe maybe because of their lifestyle, they are invited to the state acts like weddings and funerals but are not in christenings or other events

Marengo said:
I think that is not the reason for a 'smaller' baptism in Spain. Each RF has its own customs, and the catholic ones seem to regard christenings simply as a private event, which leads to them baptising the child among only family and friends (remember the belgian baptisms!). The northern monarchies tend to consider it more public, as an introduction of their child to the nation, so to speak.
In addition to that, in both Norway and Denmark the monarch is the head of church, and a state church at that. It was commented that having the royals go through with these rituals in such public view, reminded the public that these religious rituals exist also for them, like baptisms, confirmations and weddings.

It was also said that since the Danish national football team failed to qualify for the World Championships this summer, and the national handball team failed to place for medal in the World Championships last December, the royal house and the heir to the throne's birth and christenings is a way to bring Danes together as a nation.

norwegianne said:
It was also said that since the Danish national football team failed to qualify for the World Championships this summer, and the national handball team failed to place for medal in the World Championships last December, the royal house and the heir to the throne's birth and christenings is a way to bring Danes together as a nation.
LOL - I like this explanation:) - though I find it hard to believe that Queen Margrethe has connected these things (but following this line of thinking, Sverre Magnus' christening in March has to be really spectacular to make up for the disappointment at last December's women handball World Championship ;) ).
Well, the men's handball European Championship starts soon - hope they'll do something for national unity this time!

UserDane said:
LOL - I like this explanation:) - though I find it hard to believe that Queen Margrethe has connected these things (but following this line of thinking, Sverre Magnus' christening in March has to be really spectacular to make up for the disappointment at last December's women handball World Championship ;) )!
Yes Sverre Magnus christening better be a 3 day gala occation to make up for that fiasko:p

I dont think Christians christening would have been any different had the handball women won a gold medal, I cant see Margrethe giving a fig about that either.

Back
Top Bottom