Christening of Prince Christian: January 21, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alexandria said:
Thank you everybody for the many wonderful pictures of baby Christian's christening! :)

I am going to go out on a limb (and am anticipating tomatoes or eggs being thrown at me for this) and say that I liked Mary's headpiece. The colour could've been blue or white/cream, but there was a classic, nostalgic sixties look to it that I thought complimented Mary's hairstyle very well. And it didn't cover her face so that we could get a really good look of how lovingly she looked at her son and how she doted on him.

Well I won't be throwing anything at you- :D I agree with you. I really LOVED her hairpiece. It was very 50's and a classic look and her hair was lovely up as she has a lovely long neck and a great face . She really looked radiant and I loved what she was wearing. I wouldn't have wanted her to wear something dark and heavy as she really stood out. I find Black too much for a christening or wedding.People should wear bright happy colors .
Christian is just an angel and so cute- wanted to grab those cheeks as a few guests did. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
several more photos of the lovely christening from vg, expressen, terra & ekstrabladet

more from expressen, aftenposten, & vg

btw, where is Prince Richard, husband of Princess Benedikte? also Princess Nathalie, and Prince Philippos?

more from DPA

the guests, from DPA

I love Prince Christian! He and Infanta Leonor will make quite a match! And Princess Mary looked fantastic with the choice of outfit. What bothered me the most is the headpiece.. I don't think she looked good on those.. But overall, both mother and son are BEAUTIFUL..

Hello everyone

I am new here and this is my first post. First of all, thank you for sharing these great pictures....such a beautiful and loving family! The little prince has grown so much, he's becoming more and more adorable! The only thing I didn't like about the ceremony was the fact that Fred cried again!! Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with grown men crying or showing emotions but when you are the future king/head of state, it makes the person look "weak" and more so in Fred's case because he's got what I would call a "baby face" (hence why he's younge looking than Joachim even though he's the older of the two), it just makes him come across more like a "boy" than a "man"!!

Great that all european princesses who gave birth recently were there,Mathilde was stunning,lacks only princess Letizia,but I think even,there wasn not anybody who represented the spanish royal house.

After looking at these close-ups of Prince Christian, I have to say he looks so cute and innocent. I know all babies are innocent, but he just looks so pure, like he doesn't have one bad bone in his body. Can we say he'll be a future heartbreaker? :p

http://img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=02500147jh.jpg
(^one of the cutest pictures of him so far IMO)

Last edited:
Hello sweetness.... glad another one made a debut post here.. once again, a fitting occassion. yup, frederik has always have that baby face and once again he proved to be an emotional man..

Hello salome.... yes, almost all the european princess who gave birth came along, but it's not only Letizia who didn't attend, but Maxima as well...

more photos from the reception (from seegerpress)

Was there any point in the ceremony where Frederick got to hold Christian? The only time I've seen Frederick touch Christian during the ceremony was when he was trying to put the bonnet back on. :D There were plenty of loving looks but I would have loved some pics of Frederick holding Christian.

Photos from ANP
#1: Prince Christian was trying to remove his bonnet

Danish prince in line christened

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/01/22/denmark.royal.ap/index.html?section=cnn_latest

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) -- The baby prince in line to be the future king of Denmark was baptized at a Copenhagen chapel packed with royals, government officials and other dignitaries.

The 3-month-old son of Denmark's Crown Prince Frederik and Australian-born Crown Princess Mary was christened Christian Valdemar Henri John by the Lutheran bishop of the Danish capital.

Some 300 guests and the eight godparents, including the heirs to the thrones of Norway and Sweden, attended the ceremony at the neoclassical Christiansborg Palace Chapel in the heart of the snow-covered city.

The name Christian came as no surprise. Denmark has a four-century-old tradition of alternating between Christian and Frederik as names of Danish kings.

Mary's outfit is very elegant and color perfectly matches her complextion and hair. Flowers in her hair look very feminine.
She seems to have wonderful contact with her baby.:)

King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, Princess Benedikte, and Prince Philippe & Princess Mathilde

Thanks everyone for the lovely pictures and articles as well. What a beautiful and emotional Christening! I was a bit teary watching the whole event.
I like Mary's outfit and floral hairpiece- reminds me of the 60s. She looked wonderful and radiant like bringing spring to winter with her colours choice. Frederik looked so happy and extremely caring and loving.
And Prince Christian is growing so big and is so adorable- feel like pinching those cheeks. That smile of his is a killer! :)

Last edited:
Lady Bluffton said:
One other thing...not to criticize, but was it just me or was Mary's hairstyle asymmetrical? Seemed like one side of the bun was larger than the other -- planned? Was it designed to balance out the flower cap? Daring, but symmetry would have been more chic.

Just looking at HRH, it is easy to see that this hairstyle was indeed planned.

I doubt that her hair stylist would have let her attend without her hair being what they agreed.

"MII"

In general, most guests looked very nice. Mary's hat is ugly and the dress is nice. The baby is cuter and heavier now.

Theodora has a nice style, just like her mother. i wish Vic would change her hairstyle ever now and then.

Looking at the pics and the official guestlist, I notice that Ruth of Rosenberg was missing. Can anyone confirm as to whether she attended?

Thanks,

Sean

rere said:
In general, most guests looked very nice. Mary's hat is ugly and the dress is nice. The baby is cuter and heavier now.

Theodora has a nice style, just like her mother. i wish Vic would change her hairstyle ever now and then.

Agreed. I thought everyone looked nice, too, but hated Mary's headgear. Reminds me of some kind of odd looking showercap. Although I think Anne Marie usually has awful style, she did look good today.

Sean.~ said:
Looking at the pics and the official guestlist, I notice that Ruth of Rosenberg was missing. Can anyone confirm as to whether she attended?

Thanks,

Sean

Well, she's not on the guest list, and I didn't see her on tv. There aren't all that many Rosenborgs on the guestlist, is there? The Queen's first cousin aside, I counted three, Valdemar, Karin and Marina.

i believe someone in earlier post ask where Princess Alexandra is seated... well, after much zooming, i can say she sat 2 rows behind king constantine & queen anne-marie's row on the right (can be seen from this photo)...

the 1st row, can be seen here, consists of King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, Princess Benedikte, Crown Prince Philippe & Crown Princessss Mathilde of Belgium

2nd row : Crown Princessss Marie-Chantal, Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume of Luxembourg, Prince Gustav of Berleburg, Princess Alexia of Greece & Carlos Morales, Prince Nikolaos of Greece, ?

and 3rd row : Princess Theodora of Greece, Princess Elisabeth, Princess Alexandra, Princess Alexandra of Berleburg & Count Jefferson, Princess Martha Louise & Ari Behn

is that correct?

I watched the Baptism at Tv: little Prince Christian is very lovely, I like Princess Mary's hairstyle!!! :)
Thanks for the pictures :p

Official Photos from bunte (thanks to Gillian who posted the link)

mc45mx.jpg

mc4pyw.jpg

mc4q42.jpg

Various pictures of prince Christian and his mommy (from Isifa):

Does anyone know the history of the beautiful blue brooch Mary was wearing?

Is this a royal family heirloom, or a new gift from Frederick?

Queen Kell said:
Does anyone know the history of the beautiful blue brooch Mary was wearing?

Is this a royal family heirloom, or a new gift from Frederick?

you can read about it at the jewlley forum in the mary thread

Beautiful photo Crown Princess Mary and baby crown Prince Christian. It is photo Carl Johan and Gunilla Bernadotte. They is visit to Denmark royal family.Count Carl Johan is last siblings to Queen Ingrid of Denmark. Count Carl Johan and Countess Gunilla Bernadotte visit to Denmark and see baby his sisters-great grandchildren Christian.

Count Carl Johan is 89 year and his wife Gunnila Bernadotte is 82 year. Carl Johan born 1916 in oct and 90th birthday 2006.He is uncle to Queen Margrethe.

Quick posts for the morning :)
My favorite photo of the lot is this one, Prince Christian smiling at mom:
http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=7cw01l7e10im.jpg

I have a question too, anyone has information on the Baptismal Fountain used for the event? When Leonor was baptised the fountain used had a lot of history behind it so I guess the Danish Royals' fountain must be really important too.

I also found this information in Google on the tradition of Baptisms in general for the Royal Forum members interested in the origin of this Chistian religion tradition:
Baptisteries This article is reprinted from Victor Schultze, "Baptistery," from the New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, Volume I (1952). This text is in the public domain.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures. I live in Canada and missed watching the ceremony but it looked wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom