Annual Holiday to Verbier, Switzerland: 2002-2015, 2017, 2018, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the pics and links.

Always on a winner when we see this lovely family, the children are happy, healthy and really are caring of each other and they certainly enjoy the outdoors.

I love the last two photos, Isabella is so full of life and Josephine so sweet . Christian has grown so tall, love his outfit and Vincent is as cute and sweet as his twin. Also love the family shots previously posted, such a good looking group.

Gallery from Australien media:
The Danish Royal Family annual ski trip : Woman's Day

These photo sessions are a good idea and does that the family now have the rest of their holiday for themselves. Everyone gets what they wish. I wish F&M and children a pleasant family time in the snow and sun :flowers:

Now family and I will go for our winther holiday. Wuhu.

Last edited:
Gallery from Australien media:
The Danish Royal Family annual ski trip : Woman's Day

These photo sessions are a good idea and does that the family now have the rest of their holiday for themselves. Everyone gets what they wish. I wish F&M and children a pleasant family time in the snow and sun :flowers:

Now family and I will go for our winther holiday. Wuhu.

I agree that this is a good way which makes photographers happy and for the family to have a few days without being chased or bothered by them.
Do we know when they arrived to Verbier?

:previous: A good guess is two days ago (Saturday 7th) Christian and Isabella had their last schoolday at 6th Friday. They will probably return the coming Saturday, so they can be home to the school start. And Mary will leave for a working trip abroad Sunday.

BB has created one more video :flowers:
VIDEO: Kronprinsparrets prinser og prinsesser på vild kælketur | Billed Bladet

And here's a beautiful picture of the two sisters in the landscape :wub:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net...=b9014926eeeb9f31ab79b9a133425f92&oe=5550EF92

And a gallery from Kongehuset.dk
http://kongehuset.dk/Menu/foto--video/kronprinsparret-pa-vinterferie-med-bornene-3

Last edited:
Princess Mary has such a lovely skin, I wonder what she wears to have this perfect skin. I like Princess Mary However I found Mary sometimes more interested in looking good to the public, the way she walks, the way she moves her hair, the way she smiles and speaks... in other words she pretends to be normal, she acts like a normal person but it's only act for the cameras....

thanks everyone for the lovely pictures! I cant choose my favorite.
I dont know how Mary "acts" like she is normal? she looks pretty normal to me,
Like any mom cleaning her son's face
http://i57.tinypic.com/24gvk0h.jpg
and then another son's sock
http://i.imgur.com/iRXxNnJ.jpg?1
Frederik too
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Danish+Royal+Family+Hold+Annual+Skiing+Photocall+hP5Yw2RTI7Cx.jpg

;)

Its lovely to see how the siblings interact, that happiness is something you can clearly see
Love this of the two brothers
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Danish+Royal+Family+Hold+Annual+Skiing+Photocall+igzvQQLzI6jx.jpg
the two sisters
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net...=bfd34345331871a485b15f4a912b50cf&oe=554E6D8A

Frederik and Mary
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Feb2015/PPE15020811.jpg

ok this one is my favorite :p;)
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Danish+Royal+Family+Hold+Annual+Skiing+Photocall+Vqy4-dX2nNpx.jpg

some great gifs of all the actions from tumblr royalwatcher
The Royal Watcher
The Royal Watcher

People see what they want to see. If the goal is to see Mary as "acting normal" then that is what will be seen. IMO the ultimate proof of what Mary is like as a person are how her husband and children behave with others and around each other. In that light, she's succeed well especially for someone in her position. Her children seem well-adjusted, genuinely happy and close to each other and their parents. If that is an "act" those children deserve acting awards.

One of the things I like about Mary is that she has always approached her role as crown princess professionally. If that means, she's aware that photographers are always around looking for a bad photo or a behavior slip (...she never gives them a reason for bad press which must be a relief for QMII) then so be it.

Last edited:
They seem to be a beautiful happy family. Siblings all get along well and seem happy to be with each other playing in the snow. Mary and Fred seem to be loving parents and happy with each other. That is not something children just "put on" for a camera. Shame all families aren't that way with each other.

The Verbier holidays always show how relaxed and normal the family are with each other. I have never seen any acting by any of the family. Mary doesn't need to act. She stands up straight and still when the photographers ask for it so they can get the pic and everyone can get on with having fun. I don't call that acting.

Princess Mary has such a lovely skin, I wonder what she wears to have this perfect skin. I like Princess Mary However I found Mary sometimes more interested in looking good to the public, the way she walks, the way she moves her hair, the way she smiles and speaks... in other words she pretends to be normal, she acts like a normal person but it's only act for the cameras....

Oh dear because she walks like a lady speaks well and smiles it's acting?? As for moving her hair i think there is another princess that does that way better and she's Not acting either.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

A huge big thanks for all the pictures and videos posted - the quality is of a very high standard and it is really great to see the bright winter-wear and sunny smiles against the white snow.
What is particularly good is the fact that everyone was happy and relaxed and gave an opportunity for ordinary folks to see the family interact in a natural way, rather than it being a stilted photo session with nervous faces and a clear desire for the photographers to hurry up and finish. This is where I think the Danish royal family have always been aware of the historical significance of photographs and video footage that future generations can look back on in years to come rather than see it as just the press wanting to get a quick photo or two of them.
That picture of Christian skidding at speed on his sled with all the snow spraying up will become a classic shot of him I think.

That picture of Christian skidding at speed on his sled with all the snow spraying up will become a classic shot of him I think.

I was thinking the same thing. :flowers: He was being the daredevil and was clearly too old (physically big - methinks they were on the 'kiddie' slope for the under 5 :p) for what they were doing but he 'pressed the pedal to the metal' anyway. Fun to watch.

Last edited:
The Danish Royal Family Hold Annual Skiing Photocall In Verbier - Pictures - Zimbio
This is one of my favorite pictures, Christian is such an amazing young man, what a great big brother. I LOVE this family and I also love that they equally expose all the children to the press, that don't just focus on the next heir. As always Bella personality is the best!!!:wub::heart:

I agree Christian is an amazing young man, it is easy to forget that he is only nine years old, but then again all the children are smart, happy and confident as are their parents. Always love to see the action shots of the children, as we then see their personalities, and as someone else said beats the stiff, stand still photos that we see so many of.

Some many lovely photos thanks to all for posting and Muhler for the details.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who posted the photos and videos. :flowers: I love how "normal" and down to earth the Danish CP family seem to be, and I don't think Mary seems like she's acting just for the cameras.

Love the photos of the children sledging, and the clip of Isabella and Josephine cheering as they went on their sledge is adorable. Shortly after Vincent said "I'm smiling" in the video (thank you Muhler for the translations), he stopped smiling and then Mary got him to smile again, which I thought was super cute.

All the children seem to be very lively, energetic and outgoing (particularly Isabella IMO). I love Isabella's nickname for Vincent - I seem to remember Vincer was mentioned in another post here a while ago, but that might just be me imagining things. Since Isabella is Bella, Vincent (now we know) is Vincer and Josephine is Fine; do we know if Christian has a nickname? Christian as a name seems a little harder to nickname than his siblings' names, but I was wondering.

Thank you to everyone who posted the photos and videos. :flowers: I love how "normal" and down to earth the Danish CP family seem to be, and I don't think Mary seems like she's acting just for the cameras.

Love the photos of the children sledging, and the clip of Isabella and Josephine cheering as they went on their sledge is adorable. Shortly after Vincent said "I'm smiling" in the video (thank you Muhler for the translations), he stopped smiling and then Mary got him to smile again, which I thought was super cute.

All the children seem to be very lively, energetic and outgoing (particularly Isabella IMO). I love Isabella's nickname for Vincent - I seem to remember Vincer was mentioned in another post here a while ago, but that might just be me. Since Isabella is Bella, Vincent (now we know) is Vincer and Josephine is Fine; do we know if Christian has a nickname? Christian as a name seems a little harder to nickname than his siblings' names, but I was wondering.

A common nickname for Christian in Danish would be Chrisser.

All the children seem to be very lively, energetic and outgoing (particularly Isabella IMO). I love Isabella's nickname for Vincent - I seem to remember Vincer was mentioned in another post here a while ago, but that might just be me imagining things. Since Isabella is Bella, Vincent (now we know) is Vincer and Josephine is Fine; do we know if Christian has a nickname? Christian as a name seems a little harder to nickname than his siblings' names, but I was wondering.

It was in the Greenland tour that we saw Vincent being called Vincer by his siblings and parents :flowers:

One more cute pic of Josephine giving her mom a hug
http://herognu.dk/upload/fixed/643/405/her-og-nu/2015/6/søndag/verbier.jpg

and this one of Frederik with his four "ducklings" right behind him
http://svenskdam.se/files/2015/02/mary-frederik-ibl-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The name Christian is indeed a little harder to nickname. But if it would be Chris or Chrisser (as Muhler mentioned) but I still haven't heard the family use at nickname instead of 'Christian'. But Frederik and Mary calls him 'Skat' (meaning treasure) which is the most common nickname you call your children (and spouses) in Denmark.

I look so much forward to this family photo opportunity every year and it's one of my absolute favorite times with Frederik, Mary and children. So many precious pictures and I wonder if they sometimes maybe contacts the photo agencies for some of the pictures?

I mean these ones (just to pick a few) are really beautiful pictures which I myself would love to have of my children :)
http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe...nprinsparret-pa-vinterferie-med-bornene-2.img
http://resize-parismatch.ladmedia.f...-FR/Christian-a-Verbier-le-8-fevrier-2015.jpg
http://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.ne...ht=470&Width=625&AllowUpSizing=False&Mode=max

Last edited:
Trivia from an article in Billed Bladet #07, 2005.
Written by our man on the slopes, Henrik Salling.

Joachim and our Marie's photoshoot is not covered this week, presumably because BB's deadline is Tuesday noon.
But M&F and family gets a massive coverage instead!

The photoshoot took place at the children's slop Les Esserts in Verbier.
The family arrived, pulled out various sleighs and what not and posed for group photo before the children were let loose.
Inspired by his older brother, Vincent decided he could ride on his own and for that he got a high-five by dad and a: "That's cool".
Josephine was more careful, or perhaps more, clever because she went for a ride first with mother. Complete with a knitted cap on her head, but that was soon discarded it seems... None of her siblings wore such a headgear so why should she, I guess. (*)
Then it was time for a ride with dad, followed by a ride with big-sis and both girls squealing with delight. No ride with big-bro it seems, but perhaps he was simply busy being the older brother?

This year all four ski and Mary said: "The little ones begin to get a feeling for skiing. They are so glad and courageous. And the weather is perfect". (I think the spot where J&M are skiing is higher up, because there seems to be more fresh snow and the weather is more unpredictable, judging from the shoots over the years).
The whole show lasted half an hour when dad said that it was time to go. But Bella managed to charm dad into having one more go: "Oooh... We'll have just one more ride... dad...".

Mary wore sunglasses by Chanel.

If you think you can handle more pics from Verbier, you'll find them here somewhere: https://app.box.com/s/z2gbcgmp0rns7psz7yay2u45ctvwn391

And here are two overviews over Verbier: https://app.box.com/s/05ueukq9jxlx7nee593i
https://app.box.com/s/xxqynrso9c8th3jbz325

(*) This is more a question for English speakers and UK residents in particular. The Danish word for a knitted cap is "hue" or in Jutlandic dialect "lue". Is there a similar word in English dialects for such a headgear? Considering the contacts across the North Sea over the centuries.
We incidentally have several words for cap:
Hue = knitted cap.
Kasket = cap worn by officers or baseball caps.
Alpehue/baret = beret or the larger beret worn the in Alps.
Elefanthue = balaclava.

-----------------------

ADDED: BB has compiled a gallery of Mary on skis: http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/danmark/gallery-galleri-kronprinsesse-marys-ski-mode#slide-0

Last edited:
:previous:thanks Muhler
It was a nice photo shoot. The kids look happy and healthy. What more could one ask?
Im sure Isabella can charm Frederik into anything ;)

thank you for the overview map.
For the knitted cap that Josephine wore I call it a beanie hat or just a beanie. I wear a similar one for the freezing Southern California winters we get :p
:flowers:

Im guessing the family flies back to DK this weekend? School starts Monday Im guessing. I wonder If Mary will fly out to Ethiopia on Sunday or?

Im sure we will get a lot of coverage of J&M next week. From the videos it looks like both answered more questions

Trivia from an article in Billed Bladet #07, 2005.
Written by our man on the slopes, Henrik Salling.
….
(*) This is more a question for English speakers and UK residents in particular. The Danish word for a knitted cap is "hue" or in Jutlandic dialect "lue". Is there a similar word in English dialects for such a headgear? Considering the contacts across the North Sea over the centuries.
We incidentally have several words for cap:
Hue = knitted cap.
Kasket = cap worn by officers or baseball caps.
Alpehue/baret = beret or the larger beret worn the in Alps.
Elefanthue = balaclava.

-----------------------

ADDED: BB has compiled a gallery of Mary on skis: GALLERI: Kronprinsesse Marys ski-mode | Billed Bladet

Although I have learned to distrust the difference between Danish spelling and pronunciation, I believe that there is no better english equivalent for your 'hue' than 'hat'. There is a Dutch/German word 'hoed'/'Hut' that is, of of course, very close to the Danish. There is a word for the pomponned headgear in Canada that, I believe, is unique to our country 'toque', pronounced 'touk'
here is a link to an image of said 'hue'!
http://viewthevibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/olympic-toque.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the US, they are called 'stocking caps' or 'toboggans.' I grew up in an area with a large Amish population, and they speak Pennsylvania Deutsch, a German dialect. In that language it is called a 'tsipple-kop.' The topknot, fringe, ball, or whatever, is the 'tsipple.' Pennsylvania Deutsch is a very phonetic language, so it's spelled just like it's pronounced.

In the US, they are called 'stocking caps' or 'toboggans.' I grew up in an area with a large Amish population, and they speak Pennsylvania Deutsch, a German dialect. In that language it is called a 'tsipple-kop.' The topknot, fringe, ball, or whatever, is the 'tsipple.' Pennsylvania Deutsch is a very phonetic language, so it's spelled just like it's pronounced.

And is Canada its a toque.

Although I have learned to distrust the difference between Danish spelling and pronunciation, I believe that there is no better english equivalent for your 'hue' than 'hat'. There is a Dutch/German word 'hoed'/'Hut' that is, of of course, very close to the Danish. There is a word for the pomponned headgear in Canada that, I believe, is unique to our country 'toque', pronounced 'touk'
here is a link to an image of said 'hue'!
http://viewthevibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/olympic-toque.jpg

Thanks Tundra, Midwestmom & Gerry. :)

That's what we would call a "hue" or to be even more specific a "tophue". They've been very popular here since the age of Moses.
Hat is the same in English as in Danish.
I ask, partly because it's interesting but also because I'm surprised at how many words Danish and Norwegian have in common with English and Scottish dialects. Something Mary having relatives in Scotland must have noticed too from time to time.
The headgear for fishermen sou'west (I think it's spelled) is practically identical to the Danish "sydvest" in in dialect pronounced almost the same way.

Last edited:

That's what we would call a "hue" or to be even more specific a "tophue". They've been very popular here since the age of Moses.
I ask, partly because it's interesting but also because I'm surprised at how many words Danish and Norwegian have in common with English and Scottish dialects. Something Mary having relatives in Scotland must have noticed too from time to time.
The headgear for fishermen sou'west (I think it's spelled) is practically identical to the Danish "sydvest" in in dialect pronounced almost the same way.

yes, the sou'wester is common to both our languages, that share similar linguistic roots. :flowers:

Since joining this forum, I've also become aware of the similarities between German and Danish. Germany and Denmark are neighbors, so I suppose it's natural that there is some 'crossover.' I've read that one of the reasons Princess (now Countess) Alexandra learned Danish so quickly is that she already spoke fluent German.

Back
Top Bottom