Annual Holiday to Verbier, Switzerland: 2002-2015, 2017, 2018, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great to see Fred and Mary enjoy a little hug in the snow. They have often been cuddly in the cold in the past. Makes you feel warm & cosy to see pictures of them behaving this way. Thanks for the pics sofajr.

I know, for that reason I hung up.
where they would be twins?

It's always better to add dates in such cases - to avoid too much confusion..;)

I think the pics have been included in one of the old links, but some of them
are already broken..

So their Verbier holiday has started. Do we know if the kids are with them?

What a beautiful area of Switzerland, I wish them much fresh snow for the holiday!

The same jacket and ski helmet from last year...but she still looks wonderful with a ski helmet...and that is difficult!!!

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #06, 2012.
Mary festede videre i Alperne - Mary continued partying in the Alps.
Written by our Alpine reporter Ulrik Ulriksen.

After recoveing a bit on Sunday and having QMII over to say hi, M&F and some of their freinds went to Verbier in Switzerland on Monday. Adults only. (*)

All of them stayed in the same chalet. M&F and around 20 friends.

Shortly after arriving Frederik went out to rent some skis for him and Mary's sister Jane. And they went skiing together for a couple of hours before returning to the chalet.

The temperature was minus fifteen C.

Our reporter waited for them outside the chalet, but there is no mentioning about how long this mini-holiday lasted.

The friends were:
Jane, of course.
Anne-Sophie and Jacob Reese.
Caroline and Michael Ahlefeldt.
Nina Wedell-Wedellsborg.
Peter Aandal.
Helle Reedtz-Thott, for whom this ski-stuff was a pretty novel experience.
Amber Petty.

(*) The winter holiday is usually in week #8.

Last edited:
Amber is with them? She should have come for her birthday and them stays for this winter holiday... I guess she cannot ski has Mary's sister...I think Prince Christian should have classes so I guess he is not there...although I found a bit strange that they travel without their children....:whistling:

Am I the only one who sees the irony in the fact that in the week in which there's been a high profile debate on how little Frederik works, he's off on a luxury Swiss ski holiday? And only 2 months since he was last on holiday?

Maybe it's just me.

EIIR said:
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the fact that in the week in which there's been a high profile debate on how little Frederik works, he's off on a luxury Swiss ski holiday? And only 2 months since he was last on holiday?

Maybe it's just me.

Where was he two months ago? And this is an annual holiday usually taken to celebrate Mary's birthday. There haven't been that many complaints about the location or timing of the holiday beforehand, actually possibly none at all. I could imagine this holiday being book on a year to year basis with the odd change in date.
Also - this isn't the only royal family who take holidays. Didn't the Norwegian family take months off last year?

Where was he two months ago? And this is an annual holiday usually taken to celebrate Mary's birthday. There haven't been that many complaints about the location or timing of the holiday beforehand, actually possibly none at all. I could imagine this holiday being book on a year to year basis with the odd change in date.
Also - this isn't the only royal family who take holidays. Didn't the Norwegian family take months off last year?

He was in Tasmania.

I fail to see EIIR's irony. He was in Australia anyway in an official capacity and he squeezed in some time off with the family in those parts.

Anyway, it's only a month ago we were off for christmas here in Denmark - and next week is off for a lot of people too. Why this is so "ironic" when it comes to the CP couple I don't comprehend.

So yeah, I guess it's just EIIR.

(*) The winter holiday is usually in week #10.

Is it? Where I live, week 7 is the 'official' winter holiday weeks for schools; some schools have week 8, but it's my impression that it's mostly week 7 here at Zealand.

He was in Tasmania.

I fail to see EIIR's irony. He was in Australia anyway in an official capacity and he squeezed in some time off with the family in those parts.

Anyway, it's only a month ago we were off for christmas here in Denmark - and next week is off for a lot of people too. Why this is so "ironic" when it comes to the CP couple I don't comprehend.

So yeah, I guess it's just EIIR.

Why are people off next week as well? Is it a holiday in Denmark?

Not to be funny (and I apologize if this question was asked and answered as I am sure it has) but how many weeks do Danes typically get for vacation? In the States if you work at a company from 1 to 5 years you get 2 weeks of vacation, pass the five year mark you would get three weeks, and than around year 8 to 10 you might get four. But you might also have a couple of floating holidays that you can use as well. And a lot of people might make a three day weekend (Presidents Day is a holiday) into a four day weekend. It varies from company to company.

Last edited:
nwinther said:
He was in Tasmania.

I thought it was Tasmania, but EIIR said he was on holiday, when Australia was both a family vacation and a working visit. I too fail to see the irony, perhaps it would be an irony the tabloids with no story to tell would run.

Maybe it's just me.

Nope. You're not the only one. But a number of people here always find a way to justify this.

There is always an excuse to justify this man's laziness and so long as that happens nothing will change.

Is it? Where I live, week 7 is the 'official' winter holiday weeks for schools; some schools have week 8, but it's my impression that it's mostly week 7 here at Zealand.

Correction, here it's week #8.
Not that it makes much difference for us poor parents. We'll be walking the hamster-wheel that week as well.

I don't know why I wrote week #10. :ermm:

Nope. You're not the only one. But a number of people here always find a way to justify this.

There is always an excuse to justify this man's laziness and so long as that happens nothing will change.
Nothing will change until Danes will notice the problem. More and more publicists write about Frederik's laziness, overspending of DRF but public doesn't care. For me it's strange, but I'm living in country with different system and it could be a reason. I just can't imagine how much critic Frederik would receive if he would be part of British RF, people are paying and require and press shows much more dirty side of royals.

:previous: I thank most Danes would prefere the DRF to live without the attention and not least the methods of the British press, thank you!

Apart from that I think the BRF have often been treated unfairly and considering the debate on the forum in regards to William's work and suitabillity, he is getting some heat as well.

As Nwinther pointed out Frederik and Mary took a week off at the end of their Australia (and for Frederik Vietnam) tour, which was pretty hectic.
Not to mention that the gossip press would have a field day if Frederik "snubbed" Mary's family.

I admittedly sometime get irritated at Frederik and sometimes feel a distinct urge to slap him in the back of the head, but that is not the same as wanting to get rid of him.
Being critical is not the same as disliking or wanting to abolish something.

Let's keep the perspective, shall we? The DRF is not in danger and should it be abolished it won't be because one member may be lazy or not.
It would take something a little more serious than that.

Why are people off next week as well? Is it a holiday in Denmark?

Not to be funny (and I apologize if this question was asked and answered as I am sure it has) but how many weeks do Danes typically get for vacation? In the States if you work at a company from 1 to 5 years you get 2 weeks of vacation, pass the five year mark you would get three weeks, and than around year 8 to 10 you might get four. But you might also have a couple of floating holidays that you can use as well. And a lot of people might make a three day weekend (Presidents Day is a holiday) into a four day weekend. It varies from company to company.

Five weeks of annual holiday and depending on the agreement there may be with your union, you get additional five days at disposal, after a certain period of employment. (Nine months IRRC).

Children used to have seven weeks of summer holiday.
The seventh week was moved to February instead and depending on the school that is in week #7 or 8. (Some even have week #6).
That means children have six weeks of summer holiday, plus one week in February and one week in week #42. And depending on the calendar a little more than a week of Christmas holiday. - And then there are a couple of days in connection with Easter and such in the Spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 5 weeks is pretty much standard minimum on the continent. I have a friend in Belgium who is a pharmaceutical executive who now gets 14 weeks vacation.

This picture looks exactly like the one from last year. Also the previous one of Fred and Mary walking with skis - looks like last years pic.

This picture looks exactly like the one from last year. Also the previous one of Fred and Mary walking with skis - looks like last years pic.

That's because it is. The caption says it's from 2011.

Back
Top Bottom