A Thread about Frederik and Mary's Marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lena

Heir Apparent
City
Mandø
Country
Denmark
Hard to believe, that we already talk about 3 years. I remember, that it was a very hot day and that I ran home, because I had a date, that I couldn´t skip (I´ve tried though ;) ) And what should I say, it was a beautiful wedding. My favourite after the one of Mette Marit and Haakon.

But honestly...after 3 years I´m thinking, that some bubbles have bursted. I´ve checked in connection with the lovely pics of Victoria and Frederik (and their interaction...) pics of the past year showing Mary and Frederik together. Firstly most pics were from photoshootings...they aren´t many duties sharing and secondly the body language was mostly cold seeming.

But then again...they aren´t "new" to each other anymore...so less of an excitement factor, two under two are probably stressful, and things might seem less passionate, because they have put on a show so much in the beginning (kissing, the 2 Steens doing lots of lifestyle shootings...) AND of course I´m an old heretic...and go back to my dungeon :angel:

Lena said:
Hard to believe, that we already talk about 3 years. I remember, that it was a very hot day and that I ran home, because I had a date, that I couldn´t skip (I´ve tried though ;) ) And what should I say, it was a beautiful wedding. My favourite after the one of Mette Marit and Haakon.

But honestly...after 3 years I´m thinking, that some bubbles have bursted. I´ve checked in connection with the lovely pics of Victoria and Frederik (and their interaction...) pics of the past year showing Mary and Frederik together. Firstly most pics were from photoshootings...they aren´t many duties sharing and secondly the body language was mostly cold seeming.

But then again...they aren´t "new" to each other anymore...so less of an excitement factor, two under two are probably stressful, and things might seem less passionate, because they have put on a show so much in the beginning (kissing, the 2 Steens doing lots of lifestyle shootings...) AND of course I´m an old heretic...and go back to my dungeon :angel:

Well Lena, I agree with you. I don't think things are so rosy with this couple anymore.

Once you've been married a while, things do calm down, and you find other things, like children and such, that you have to deal with. But it doesn't mean they aren't like that in private. They may just have gotten more reserved about their feelings in public.

The excitement in the relationship is different. First it was exciting because there's a "we're a couple against the world" mentality but now after two kids they can't afford to be selfish as a couple as they once were allowed to be. Fred and Mary both seemed happy enough at the Norwegian celebrations earlier this year.

Anyways, congratulations to them both!

acdc1 said:
Once you've been married a while, things do calm down, and you find other things, like children and such, that you have to deal with. But it doesn't mean they aren't like that in private. They may just have gotten more reserved about their feelings in public.

That's certainly possible, of course. I'm just saying what I sense from various photos of late as well as the distinct lack of public appearances together.

Tinika said:
That's certainly possible, of course. I'm just saying what I sense from various photos of late as well as the distinct lack of public appearances together.
I think because Frederik and Mary are patrons of different organizations, they simply attend different functions. I also think that Mary, being the independent type of person, doesn't need Frederik to hold her hand every time she performs an official duty.

Mandy said:
I think because Frederik and Mary are patrons of different organizations, they simply attend different functions. I also think that Mary, being the independent type of person, doesn't need Frederik to hold her hand every time she performs an official duty.

Well, but here we have the question of the egg and the chicken. What was there first?
They could have chosen more patronages together or more innaugurations together. Well, maybe my view would change a little, when the children would be a little older, when there would be maybe again something like the HCA year and when they then would travel again more together. Trips like the one of Mette Marit and Haakon to South Korea for example.

And actually I wasn´t talking so much about kissing and holding hands...but more about the unconscious things...body language during ordinary duties or photoshootings etc. With Victoria he didn´t hold hands either and though things seemed so different :wub:
Well, but I´m no profiler or psychologist and know of course, that one can´t prove such observations with "facts". Different ppl, different views...just the old game :D

Lena said:
And actually I wasn´t talking so much about kissing and holding hands...but more about the unconscious things...body language during ordinary duties or photoshootings etc. With Victoria he didn´t hold hands either and though things seemed so different :wub:

When Frederick took Mary home from hospital their body language told about love and happiness. But it's true: they are now four in the marriage....

With two children in three years they seem to be getting along to me.

Lena said:

Interesting observation. Made me actually go through the Sweden-Denmark state visit thread pictures, which I hadn't done. You're right that Victoria and Fred, on those pictures, almost sometimes seem like a couple. A couple of <good old friends>, that is, if you look closer. They both (Fred and Victoria) are looking like they're trying a bit too hard for me to believe they'd really really be that interested in one another without the cameras there. Although I couldn't help being a bit, annoyed? at Victoria's all-out charm offensive, even wearing a dress with a lower-than-necessary decollete. Couldn't help thinking what Mary would be thinking...even on the occasion of the official photo of everyone together, the one occasion of the state visit Mary attended, Fred couldn't keep his hands off of Victoria one pic seemed to show! Kind of annoying of Fred.

As for Fred & Mary, it's a bit unfair to say things have cooled.
True, nothing like two little demanding, needy kids keeping their parents awake at night to put a damper on any romantic relationship.
And true too, if you compare pictures of Felipe and Letizia, those two also just had another baby, yet look into each others eyes as if they're discovering the other for the first time, so in love do they seem.

But does that mean things are going downhill for Fred and Mary? I don't think we can deduce that at all. I do think that having a young family is something new for them and takes adjustment. The other thing is perhaps that it's not been that easy maybe for Mary to be a new mom in a new(ish) society, while being in the spotlight. If there was ever a time to give Mary a break, it may well be now.

Are some forgetting that Frederik and Victoria are infact 1st cousins twice removed? I hardly think any romantic link between the two would have ever been encouraged. They are family and as family I'm sure they enjoy one anothers company very much :)

Last edited:
Although I couldn't help being a bit, annoyed? at Victoria's all-out charm offensive, even wearing a dress with a lower-than-necessary decollete.
Victoria finally dressed amazingly and really wowed me. She usually takes a fair amount of criticism for her way of dressing and is usually overshadowed by her sister but on this State visit there was a sparkle there. She looked amazing.

I personally don't think she showed off anything that Mary hasn't showed off before. She has been a royal her whole life and I am sure she is aware of how much décolleté she can show.

As well Victoria is going to be Queen of Sweden someday and doesn't need to marry Fred to become one as Mary did. I think they have a close relationship as a lot of cousins do. Good friends nothing more. This jealousy thing makes no sense.

I for one am certain that there is no untoward relationship between Frederick and Victoria. I also feel fairly strongly that this is a marriage that is made to last. And I also believe that they are happy. They do have a newborn as well as a toddler at home, and that would try even a saints patience I am sure. Which eventually might very well lead to minor tension in the household, and given that one's spouse is generally the only person in the house capable of intellgent conversation, that person generally receives the brunt of the other persons stress.

And royal or not, they go through the typical emotions that new parents always do.

Mary and Frederik resemble any other married couple imo. Why should they be expected to display a somewhat 'forced' show of intimate affection? Just to subside tabloid curiosity? They have nothing to prove to anyone as it stands, and I for one don't doubt their love :flowers:

Madame Royale said:
Mary and Frederik resemble any other married couple imo. Why should they be expected to display a somewhat 'forced' show of intimate affection? Just to subside tabloid curiosity? They have nothing to prove to anyone as it stands, and I for one don't doubt their love :flowers:
Good point - and anyhow, <if> they were having a bad time, giving the media a show of affection would indeed prove nothing! Btw I didn't try to say I think there's something between Victoria and Fred, they seem like old friends (which they are).

princess olga said:
Btw I didn't try to say I think there's something between Victoria and Fred, they seem like old friends (which they are).

My response was not directed to you, princess olga. If it were I would have quoted you.

I agree with your observations.

Last edited:
Lena said:

I noticed the Frederick/Victoria dynamic too, but really, Victoria never looked that good before. That blue dress with the low neckline made her look amazingly sexy, and not in a bad way, either! I think it's just one of those awkward moments when a husband has to pair off with some fabulous woman for some reason (best man at a wedding, contestant on Dancing with the Stars, whatever) just at the time when his wife is pregnant or just had a baby and is not looking her best.

But I have to say, lately I've been wondering about the pictures of Frederick and Mary, but I don't know why. And then I read Lena's comment and it kind of clicked.

I never really followed Victoria before, and the pictures of her from the state visit surprised me. Not so much the formal events, where she looked great, but the daytime visits she made with Frederick. She kind of exudes happiness and charisma, which is something I just don't see from Mary, even on her best days. Maybe what appeared to be a dynamic between Frederick and Victoria was actually just the difference between Victoria and Mary.

good, I guess it's safe to post about it now:D I noticed a bit too, didn't wanna start.
And yes, they have been friends for a while too, but I watched videos+pics, I meight be a bit:bang: if I were Mary.
:lol:

I'm sure they are happy! I actually think that there is something to be said about familiarity, and being completely comfortable with each other as a couple, after the honeymoon period is over. You can be independent as individuals, and still have love and respect for each other. Taking care of the family and being with the children are great joy, especially at that age. Happiness stems from knowing you've made the right choice, and even when things get thought, the memories of why you came together in the first place will see you through. Yes, the excitement may be over, but it can be replaced with something even stronger imo. I hope that was not too cheesy.

Anyhow, I hope they had a wonderful anniversary with their two lovely children.

Fred and Victoria have great chemistry, but that's because they are related, have known each other most of their lives and share a predestined future. I get along great with guy friends I have, some of whom have girlfriends, but that doesn't mean they feel for me something they don't feel or no longer feel for their S.O.'s. A man and a woman can be friends and have it be just that.

Fred and Mary are fine. They have two beautiful children to raise and a bright future ahead of them.

Chimene said:
I'm sure they are happy! I actually think that there is something to be said about familiarity, and being completely comfortable with each other as a couple, after the honeymoon period is over. You can be independent as individuals, and still have love and respect for each other. Taking care of the family and being with the children are great joy, especially at that age. Happiness stems from knowing you've made the right choice, and even when things get thought, the memories of why you came together in the first place will see you through. Yes, the excitement may be over, but it can be replaced with something even stronger imo.

Beautifully put, Chimene.

You are so right Chimene. One can only judge by the photos that are posted and they look very happy. Stolen glances, leaning into one another, slight touch of back and so forth. They are comfortable to let each one do his/her own thing thats why they do many solo engagements. Also, M&F have been together longer than the 3 years that they are married.

Stellad

Madame Royale said:
Are some forgetting that Frederik and Victoria are infact 1st cousins twice removed? I hardly think any romantic link between the two would have ever been encouraged. They are family and as family I'm sure they enjoy one anothers company very much :)

I believe any romance between them would have been very much encouraged as it would have given Denmark another Swedish princess as queen and would have given Victoria's brother the chance to become king after all - just as his parents had wished.

As this did not happen, I believe there never was any kind of romantic feeling between them. ;)

please where are those famous photos of victoria and fred that everyone talk about so much? I see them cold with each other... Please, could you post them again?
Thanks!

They look happy, well at least in pictures. I don’t read body language. But we have to remember, in marriage there aren’t always happy times, couples have arguments, share their happiness and sorrow, and sometimes spend more times with the children & vise versa, what’s a marriage without that. Maybe some pictures body language isn’t as how it used to be but that could be because of a misunderstanding between the couple or it could be just the picture timing captured.

But aren’t three years of marriage & two children telling you something?:) I mean, if they weren’t happy or couldn’t go through it, I don’t think they’d have the second child so soon after Christian. I see more children in the future & I hope to see this marriage last.

Jo of Palatine said:
I believe any romance between them would have been very much encouraged as it would have given Denmark another Swedish princess as queen and would have given Victoria's brother the chance to become king after all - just as his parents had wished.

I disagree. Inter-familial relations amongst royals (which is what it would be) has become somewhat of a 'sore point' when reflecting social mood and scientific research.

I can almost certainly say that had Fred and Vic entertained the thought of marriage, a great number of peoples would have made way for the nearest hurl bucket. Myself included :dizzy:

Last edited:
I believe that their way of living is so intense and so differente from day to day life, life's routine is so intense and I think this could be a good thing for their marriage!!!They don't have money problems, they can get to travel a lot, they have lots of different houses, they have two beautiful and healthly kids!All good things, and I think at this stage that is enough for them!

Last edited:
Lena said:
On what pictures is their body language mostly cold seeming, I wonder.
On the last ones with their children or when they were leaving the hospital?
The Easter pictures? The pictures from the Norwegian birthday celebrations?
The Australian holiday pictures? Or the pictures of their trips to Brussels, St.Petersburg or Bornholm?
IMO there are actually a lot of pictures showing their good relationship during the past year.

Moreover Frederik seems as happy as a lark since he is married to Mary.
Constantly smiling from one ear to the other.
Would he look as happy if he had spent the last 3 years - and not just 3 days - with Victoria?
I doubt it (since I believe Victoria is quite a bossy woman).:lol:

And I don't see any love or sexual attraction between those two in the pictures taken during the state visit.
In my eyes the pictures simply show a complicity between two persons who are somehow sitting in the same boat.
(Btw, have you ever seen pictures of Frederik and Victoria during the opening of the Oresundbridge in 2000.
That's what I would call cold body language.)

I agree though that Mary and Frederik should do more together, not because I think there is something wrong,
but simply because I like them very much as a couple.
They never did a lot of work together in Denmark, so actually nothing has changed in that respect.
But they did more and longer official trips together in the beginning.
And that's what I miss a bit.

princess olga said:
And true too, if you compare pictures of Felipe and Letizia, those two also just had another baby, yet look into each others eyes as if they're discovering the other for the first time, so in love do they seem.
Could you give a picture, please?
I really would like to see that look in their eyes.
They hardly looked at each other when they left the hospital
(because they were both engaged with their children)
and they also don't look at each other on the official pictures.
So, where do they "look into each others eyes as if they're discovering
the other for the first time, so in love do they seem".
And I don't remember any other occasion where we have seen them since they "just had another baby".

IMO Mary and Frederik were actually glowing from happiness
when they left the hospital with their child.
I could definitely see a lot of love there.
Things may be less romantic nowadays but this goes for the Spanish couple as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom