The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Fred and Victoria have great chemistry, but that's because they are related, have known each other most of their lives and share a predestined future. I get along great with guy friends I have, some of whom have girlfriends, but that doesn't mean they feel for me something they don't feel or no longer feel for their S.O.'s. A man and a woman can be friends and have it be just that.

Fred and Mary are fine. They have two beautiful children to raise and a bright future ahead of them.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene
I'm sure they are happy! I actually think that there is something to be said about familiarity, and being completely comfortable with each other as a couple, after the honeymoon period is over. You can be independent as individuals, and still have love and respect for each other. Taking care of the family and being with the children are great joy, especially at that age. Happiness stems from knowing you've made the right choice, and even when things get thought, the memories of why you came together in the first place will see you through. Yes, the excitement may be over, but it can be replaced with something even stronger imo.
Beautifully put, Chimene.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Courtier

You are so right Chimene. One can only judge by the photos that are posted and they look very happy. Stolen glances, leaning into one another, slight touch of back and so forth. They are comfortable to let each one do his/her own thing thats why they do many solo engagements. Also, M&F have been together longer than the 3 years that they are married.

Stellad
Old 05-16-2007, 03:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale
Are some forgetting that Frederik and Victoria are infact 1st cousins twice removed? I hardly think any romantic link between the two would have ever been encouraged. They are family and as family I'm sure they enjoy one anothers company very much
I believe any romance between them would have been very much encouraged as it would have given Denmark another Swedish princess as queen and would have given Victoria's brother the chance to become king after all - just as his parents had wished.

As this did not happen, I believe there never was any kind of romantic feeling between them.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Gentry

please where are those famous photos of victoria and fred that everyone talk about so much? I see them cold with each other... Please, could you post them again?
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

They look happy, well at least in pictures. I don’t read body language. But we have to remember, in marriage there aren’t always happy times, couples have arguments, share their happiness and sorrow, and sometimes spend more times with the children & vise versa, what’s a marriage without that. Maybe some pictures body language isn’t as how it used to be but that could be because of a misunderstanding between the couple or it could be just the picture timing captured.

But aren’t three years of marriage & two children telling you something? I mean, if they weren’t happy or couldn’t go through it, I don’t think they’d have the second child so soon after Christian. I see more children in the future & I hope to see this marriage last.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I believe any romance between them would have been very much encouraged as it would have given Denmark another Swedish princess as queen and would have given Victoria's brother the chance to become king after all - just as his parents had wished.
I disagree. Inter-familial relations amongst royals (which is what it would be) has become somewhat of a 'sore point' when reflecting social mood and scientific research.

I can almost certainly say that had Fred and Vic entertained the thought of marriage, a great number of peoples would have made way for the nearest hurl bucket. Myself included
Old 05-16-2007, 04:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I believe that their way of living is so intense and so differente from day to day life, life's routine is so intense and I think this could be a good thing for their marriage!!!They don't have money problems, they can get to travel a lot, they have lots of different houses, they have two beautiful and healthly kids!All good things, and I think at this stage that is enough for them!
Old 05-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
But honestly...after 3 years I´m thinking, that some bubbles have bursted. I´ve checked in connection with the lovely pics of Victoria and Frederik (and their interaction...) pics of the past year showing Mary and Frederik together. Firstly most pics were from photoshootings...they aren´t many duties sharing and secondly the body language was mostly cold seeming.
On what pictures is their body language mostly cold seeming, I wonder.
On the last ones with their children or when they were leaving the hospital?
The Easter pictures? The pictures from the Norwegian birthday celebrations?
The Australian holiday pictures? Or the pictures of their trips to Brussels, St.Petersburg or Bornholm?
IMO there are actually a lot of pictures showing their good relationship during the past year.

Moreover Frederik seems as happy as a lark since he is married to Mary.
Constantly smiling from one ear to the other.
Would he look as happy if he had spent the last 3 years - and not just 3 days - with Victoria?
I doubt it (since I believe Victoria is quite a bossy woman).

And I don't see any love or sexual attraction between those two in the pictures taken during the state visit.
In my eyes the pictures simply show a complicity between two persons who are somehow sitting in the same boat.
(Btw, have you ever seen pictures of Frederik and Victoria during the opening of the Oresundbridge in 2000.
That's what I would call cold body language.)

I agree though that Mary and Frederik should do more together, not because I think there is something wrong,
but simply because I like them very much as a couple.
They never did a lot of work together in Denmark, so actually nothing has changed in that respect.
But they did more and longer official trips together in the beginning.
And that's what I miss a bit.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
And true too, if you compare pictures of Felipe and Letizia, those two also just had another baby, yet look into each others eyes as if they're discovering the other for the first time, so in love do they seem.
Could you give a picture, please?
I really would like to see that look in their eyes.
They hardly looked at each other when they left the hospital
(because they were both engaged with their children)
and they also don't look at each other on the official pictures.
So, where do they "look into each others eyes as if they're discovering
the other for the first time, so in love do they seem".
And I don't remember any other occasion where we have seen them since they "just had another baby".

IMO Mary and Frederik were actually glowing from happiness
when they left the hospital with their child.
I could definitely see a lot of love there.
Things may be less romantic nowadays but this goes for the Spanish couple as well.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think we can only suppose on these things
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

If your judging from one or two pictures than I guess thats unfair. Mary just had her second child, she wasnt supposed to be out for the Swedish state visit but she did, she is still nursing & could be very tired. Cant we all wish for happieness for the couple instead of saying theyre not in love, etc.. I dont think we would be too happy if people would talk about our marriage like that
Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda
On what pictures is their body language mostly cold seeming, I wonder.
On the last ones with their children or when they were leaving the hospital?
The Easter pictures? The pictures from the Norwegian birthday celebrations?
The Australian holiday pictures? Or the pictures of their trips to Brussels, St.Petersburg or Bornholm?
IMO there are actually a lot of pictures showing their good relationship during the past year.

Moreover Frederik seems as happy as a lark since he is married to Mary.
Constantly smiling from one ear to the other.
Would he look as happy if he had spent the last 3 years - and not just 3 days - with Victoria?
I doubt it (since I believe Victoria is quite a bossy woman).

And I don't see any love or sexual attraction between those two in the pictures taken during the state visit.
In my eyes the pictures simply show a complicity between two persons who are somehow sitting in the same boat.
(Btw, have you ever seen pictures of Frederik and Victoria during the opening of the Oresundbridge in 2000.
That's what I would call cold body language.)

I agree though that Mary and Frederik should do more together, not because I think there is something wrong,
but simply because I like them very much as a couple.
They never did a lot of work together in Denmark, so actually nothing has changed in that respect.
But they did more and longer official trips together in the beginning.
And that's what I miss a bit.
Well, believe me, that I´ve checked some more than 5 pics or so
Mary and Frederik are for me "event ppl"...like these women and men, who always want to marry for the wedding itself. Yes, they looked happy at the little princess´presentation. And who wouldn´t...healthy sweet baby girl and all...what more can one hope for. But to me it seemed like two happy ppl...but not like two ppl happy with each other. The same at Christian´s first day at the Kiga.
In big moments they seem thrilled by the attention and play the show. No warmth, no closeness, no deep looks. At more ordinary things, there is even not the show. It´s simply not like Haakon and Mette Marit. With them there seems to be so much warmth, and deep respect for each other, they seem to have fun together.
But with Mary and Frederik, I simply can´t see that. And what should I do? I´ve no reason to like or dislike them. None of them has ever done anything bad or good to me. It´s simply a feeling. But if you have some "Mary&Frederik sugar brain washing powder", it´s most welcome.

Two kids are for me in this position no proof for anything. It´s their main task to get a heir and a spare...and some couples like the distraction by a kid.
And of course one can also make love without love. They wouldn´t be the first ones. Weeellll, I though have to say, that I don´t think, there is no love, it´s just, that it seems less to me and not as deep and profound and full of respect as the one of Haakon&MM or Philippe&Mathilde.

SE og HØR DK also sees, what me and many others have seen.
And Fred´s hand on the Swedish Madame´s apple butt was also interesting. At least Victoria wasn´t "bossy" enough to slap this cheeky guy
..::: SE og HØR | www.seoghoer.dk :::..

And yes, I´ve seen pics of the opening of the bridge in 1999. Apart from Victoria stepping on his toe , it seemed like a warm and funny moment. Both seemed a little nervous...a little intimidated by the big historical moment. And Victoria was in the whole year of 1999 somehow quite thoughtful seeming. She had a lot to deal & work with in between 1997 and 2000. And seemed less self confident than these days. But the job with the bridge, she didn´t bad. You should have seen her at the baptism of Constantine Alexios some months earlier...
Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

lena that is your opinion you do not know them do you?
i get your point but give them a break too.
victoria can not be with frederik i wish people saying
this , she is the swedish crownprincess and she as a boyfriend as well
frederik and victoria friend's and cousin's as well, frederik love 's is
wife . because he doe's not hold her hand all the time doe's not say he
doe'snt love her,god sake's leave them a lone.know one know's what
their do behind close door's their mite hold hands and do what very married couple do, i will not here but think you can guess. and play with their children
as well. i feel that some people can get over the fact frederik is happy
and in love with a australian girl, know i will be shot down fro saying all
this but i had it with people all say's giving mary and frederik a hard time
about nothing, so what she was not had the swedish visit god she just had
baby.if i have up set anyone please tell me , i am i mite down these's day's
my father as cancer again for the third time., i am sorry to up set anyone here.
billie-jo
Old 05-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Aristocracy

I think that you are totally right Billie-Jo. They do not always want (and they do not always have) to show their love for one another in public. When they go out of the Chancellery or even their private appartments at Amalienborg, they become public figures. Like you said Billie-Jo, behind doors they are different people.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Could you give a picture, please?

http://images2.image-data.com/images...7/24117011.jpg

that's one very recent one from right before Sofia's birth.
Many man y m ore like this one, you're welcome to check the particular threads!

But as I said before, these kinds of gestures don't necessarily prove anything one way or the other. Just like the absence doesn't prove anything either. That doesn 't mean that Lena doesn't have a point! Sometimes people can pick up certain things that other's for whatever reason cannot. Is all I'm saying.

Quote:
I could definitely see a lot of love there.
Who says I disagree that there <wouldn't> be any love between the two?
Quote:
Things may be less romantic nowadays but this goes for the Spanish couple as well.
I do get the sense though, rightly or wrongly, that Felipe and Letizia win some points here on the romantic front, but my sense actually here is that that may well have to do something with the difficult time they've recently been through, who is to say?

Anyhow, I don't mean to turn this into a contest because again, why on the planet wouldn't Fred and Mary have a stellar union going? They seem to share a lot of interests.

And if they're currently a bit tired because of their young growing family, that's totally understandable.

I don't however think that the body language between Fred and his 'cousin' Victoria is necessarily cold. And yes, I remember those pictures from that bridge from way back when. I also remember thinking even then that the two seemed a nice, well, dare I say it, couple! Nothing wrong with that either.

I also cannot help being on some level interested that oftentimes in recent years, Victoria looked like a school teacher on official outings, and repeatedly wearing the same old boring stuff. While for this visit, she goes all out on both appearance and charm. No wonder the Danish press for example picks up on that! No wonder Fred looks elevated - is he also a bit wee relieved to be gone even for a day from the duties of the kids and the eye of his great, but, dare I say it, seemingly-controlling, wife?

But again that doesn't mean that there's anything brewing and for the record, I personally would give Mary more points on the beauty front than Victoria any day, sorry Vikkan!
Old 05-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Nobility

What struck me in the pictures of Frederick and Victoria was how often he was leaning into her, or over her, or his body was overlapping hers. One picture that comes to mind is the arrival group photo where he is standing between Victoria and Mary, but closer to Victoria, and Mary looks kind of forlorn.

Also, someone referred to Victoria's clothing as bridal in nature. I agree that the outfits struck me as the sort one might wear as a going away outfit after a wedding. She dressed much more formally even for the daytime events than Mary does.

I don't think this means anything for a minute, and I really hope Mary doesn't read this thread because for the first time I feel kind of bad for her.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltywatcher
What struck me in the pictures of Frederick and Victoria was how often he was leaning into her, or over her, or his body was overlapping hers.
I noticed that too but here's my take on it: it made it seem like he's trying way way too hard to make a concerted effort. What I mean is: the forcedness of his gestures made me think he was just trying to please a visiting acquintance. IF he'd been privately interested, shall we say, he'd have been behaving quite differently, more laid-back, more, well, Fred. Here he was looking more like he was <acting>!

As for the clothes of Victoria, you're hitting the nail on the head. The otherwise quite school-teacher-ish looking Swedish princess really made an effort this time. Maybe it was out of sheer politeness to a court that has some very stylish memebers (ok at least one! Mary!).

But for some reason the coquettishness of Victoria irritated me this time, maybe she's just a flirt. I remember reading on this forum on Fred and Mary's wedding thread, that Victoria, at Fred's wedding, when she spotted Felipe of Spain, was really touchy feely with him until she noticed the stare of Felipe's bride to be!

I'm thinking maybe the following is the case: pre-all these crown princesses, before they took center stage, there was at least half a decade where Victoria would be the only cute princess around all these then equally-single, second-cousin princes such as Fred and Felipe. Victoria's just used to behaving a certain way towards them, a leftover of those days? I'm thinking there was something immature about her, definitely compared to the sophistication of someone like Mary.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Gentry

why is it always in our nature to think about the negative.. does it really matter if he was leaning more towards victoria in those pictures? he's got eyes for mary only and everyone else is just puppets..
Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga

I'm thinking maybe the following is the case: pre-all these crown princesses, before they took center stage, there was at least half a decade where Victoria would be the only cute princess around all these then equally-single, second-cousin princes such as Fred and Felipe. Victoria's just used to behaving a certain way towards them, a leftover of those days? I'm thinking there was something immature about her, definitely compared to the sophistication of someone like Mary.
This may be possible, but I think Victoria is just an out-going, flirty type of person. We all have somebody in our life like that- we just learn to deal with them. I also think Victoria just loves Frederik as a cousin or friend, someone to have fun with. And he and she would never do anything to hurt Mary or the two babies.