The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Serene Highness

She doesnīt look like a woman with sense of humor, she has that arrogant look, always.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
it's quite an old picture and i don't think it should cause anger or disgust among the DRF's followers. it's obviously meant to cause no harm and as a "funny" intent rather than as an unrespectful one. the DRF did not release any statements expressing their discomfort with it during the time it appeared, so i guess they just took it as what it is: a simple painting.
They are pretty much used to satirical depictions of themselves There is a very old time-honoured tradition in Denmark to make special summer revues several places in the country and the royal family are sure to appear each time; a few Danish actors have made their fame mostly from their ability to portray the family - prince Henrik's girth, Frederik's love of speed, and our non-stop smoking queen in particular one of the 'queen Margrethe' actors is married to the queen's hairdresser and the couple is often invited to events at Amalienborg, so no hard feelings. I think the royal family is hard to shake with a bit of satirical wit

Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 AM
Royal Highness

Personally, I think the artist has a warped mind. I don't find the painting insulting or funny. I don't think an artist's work can reflect good or bad on the artist's subject, but it can reflect good or bad on the artist.

I took a few art classes in college. The main thing I learned is that art is in the eye of the beholder. Every piece of my art that I liked, the teacher hated, and every piece the teacher liked, I hated. But I had to do it the teacher's way to get the passing grade.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I understand the artist's point of view, and the humor behind it, but I think that this painting is ugly. The image of Frederik scratching himself is just icky. There is a way to be satirical without being vulgar, but the artist failed to paint the image without vulgarity.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Nobility

the painted said ""I think Mary being Australian, she might have a bit of an ocker sense of humour, she might appreciate it."
sorry i don't think that they wll appreciated ! she didn't appreciate as how come with the couple !
a low class !
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl View Post
I understand the artist's point of view, and the humor behind it, but I think that this painting is ugly. The image of Frederik scratching himself is just icky. There is a way to be satirical without being vulgar, but the artist failed to paint the image without vulgarity.
I to do understand the artist's point of view, and love the humor behind in it. It is funny.

But i wouldn't have the painting hanging in my living. It is simply ugly. The motives isn't. But the painting is.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

I donīt find the humour in it...but itīs just my opinion
Old 01-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Courtier

Perhaps this discussion can be added to the old one instead of a new thread about it.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree with you, sgl.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
She doesnīt look like a woman with sense of humor, she has that arrogant look, always.
You've clearly not seen, or have chosen to dismiss, the near hundreds of photo's of her smiling or laughing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimae View Post
the painted said ""I think Mary being Australian, she might have a bit of an ocker sense of humour, she might appreciate it."
sorry i don't think that they wll appreciated ! she didn't appreciate as how come with the couple !
a low class !
Undoubtedly, Mary having lived the greater part of her life thus far as an Australian would certainly better appreciate the humour behind it, than those who, like yourself, are not Australian.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 01-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Nobility

I see nothing funny in this portrait.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

That's how I feel as well. Satire is one thing; plain vulgarity is something else. Actually, I don't find it to be satirical at all. Satire requires wit, and I see no wit here...just cheap sensationalism.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4phage View Post
Lol. Maybe it is :P

It's all good though, you Aussies do have a great sense of humour. All my Aussie friends find this portrait funny, and all my Canadian friends don't get the humour in it. Lol.
I don't find it funny either, and I'm an American.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

As this portrait is old, and has already been discussed to great extent when it first appeared last year, this thread will be closed. If you wish to read previous comments about this portrait, please see one of the older 'General News' threads.

JessRulz
Danish Forum Moderator