A Prince is Born: October 15, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that they should still change the succession laws though it would not be out into effect with Mary and Fredrick's children (though, God forbid something were to happen and the heir becomes one of Mary and Fredrick's later children). They could change the laws now so that when it's time for Prince (insert name) gets married and has children of his own, that they wouldn't have to worry about succession and gender because the his first-born would automatically be heir. Save him the trouble later on in life.

Australian media reports are saying that Her Royal Highness is expected to leave hospital today with the baby prince. However, It has been decided that there shall be no public introduction for the baby for the next couple of days yet.

"MII"

eireann said:
I´m fascinated by this Scandinavian tradition of not naming children until their christening...one question, what do they call their children until the name is announced??

The child already has its name, but it isn't spoken outside the family because there is the belief that the devil might hear the name and corrupt/hurt the baby before it gets to be baptized.

Finn Bjorn (L) from the Royal Danish Court recieves presents from the public on behalf of Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik Sunday 16 October 2005 at Amalienborg Castle in Copenhagen. All day yesterday and today presents has been pouring in to congratulate the Crown Prince and the Crown Princess with their newborn Prince. The Crown Princess delivered her first child at 1.57 am local time Saturday 15 October at Copenhagen University Hospital. The baby weighed 3,500 grams and was 51 centimetres long. EPA/LINDA HENRIKSEN

Attachments

• epaphotos442738.jpg
    epaphotos442738.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 174
I think it looks totally ridiculous that they ask how big the baby was and instead of saying the actual measurement, they show it with their hands like a fish. It is kind of silly. Is this a danish tradition?

A wee bit harsh. It's just a fun gesture for a proud new father to make. I think a lot of new daddys in every culture make this gesture to show people how big their new little one is.

Roxsteve said:
I think it looks totally ridiculous that they ask how big the baby was and instead of saying the actual measurement, they show it with their hands like a fish. It is kind of silly. Is this a danish tradition?

If it was a Danish tradition, no doubt you have casued offene by such a remark.

Memory lane revisited when the Prince Consort did the same thing when Frederik (and Joachim?) were born. And the measurement had already been released in the press release posted on their Royal Highnesses official website. 51 cm.

"MII"

SpiffyBallerina said:
The child already has its name, but it isn't spoken outside the family because there is the belief that the devil might hear the name and corrupt/hurt the baby before it gets to be baptized.

Royal or not. Danish or not. That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Thanks for the laugh; I needed it:rolleyes: .

There is nothing but guys in that family. I really hope the rest of their children are girls.

Royal or not. Danish or not. That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Thanks for the laugh; I needed it.

So many people are making fun of the Danish way. There is nothing wrong with tradition and superstition. I actually like waiting until the christining. It keeps people waiting and gives more reasons to celebrate. No reason to put your child at risk even if it is a superstition. I rather like it.

Athena said:
Royal or not. Danish or not. That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Thanks for the laugh; I needed it:rolleyes: .

What a pathetic thing to say...

You may not agree with, or understand Danish traditions but to be so utterly tactless and ignorant are most repulsive traits for any indavidual to possess.

"MII"

Last edited:
Athena said:

Most people don't consider their faith stupid. It's fine to not believe the same thing, but mocking other cultures and religious traditions is in bad form.

Roxsteve said:

No its not just a Danish tradition. Our family did it too and we're Americans.

As far as not giving the name out until the christening, that used to be a lot more widespread across different cultures than it is now. People didn't traditionally pick out baby names until after a baby was born and the christenings were a lot sooner - like 3 days after birth or something. So the poor parents just had time to pick out a name before they ran off to the church to get the baby baptized. Before the advent of TV and the internet, it didn't matter that the name was not released until the christening. Most people would find out the name first by the christening regardless of whether the parents published it in advance. News was not instantaneous.

With the little prince, it seems to make less sense, he seems bound to be a Christian and the mass media has made his birth wide known within minutes of it happening. It seems a nice tradition, though; I hope they don't wait too long for the christening.

semisquare said:
are there any pic of the little prince or is it to soon?

No pictures at the moment, and most likely not for a few days.

I think we need to calm ourselves here. Please consider this to be a warning, which will not be repeated.

Last edited by a moderator:
pdas1201 placed a warning in this thread which has been ignored. I would hate to close this thread because a few members need to argue. Let's not spoil it for everyone. I have deleted all the nasty posts. Now, let's back off, take a deep breath and get back on track.

Our topic is A Prince is Born - October 15, 2005.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Mandy
Danish Forum Moderator

Non-update!

Live cross to the Copenhagen hospital on the Sydney prime time television news just now to tell us...
...there's nothing to report.

Warren said:
Live cross to the Copenhagen hospital on the Sydney prime time television news just now to tell us...
...there's nothing to report.
Seems to be a lot of that going on.

I read somewhere Denmark's Heir are always called Frederik or Christian. One year it's Frederik, the other year it's Christian. This would mean Mary's and Frederik's child will be called Christian. Don't know if the information is totally reliable though

Yes, I already saw that. Mary is going to regret the moment she ever said her home was going to be a nanny-free zone. It was just too unrealistic.

kate2 said:
I read somewhere Denmark's Heir are always called Frederik or Christian. One year it's Frederik, the other year it's Christian. This would mean Mary's and Frederik's child will be called Christian. Don't know if the information is totally reliable though

Yeah, its pretty reliable but Mary and Fred can buck tradition and choose a different name.

I hope not, I like the name Christian and it appears according to a www.BT.dk poll that 74% of Danes want him to be named Christian. So it will be interesting to see what they do.

ysbel said:
Yes, I already saw that. Mary is going to regret the moment she ever said her home was going to be a nanny-free zone. It was just too unrealistic.

She might be referring to the circumstance when she and Fred were at home. It is understandable that if Prince Frederik missed to be with his parents during his childhood, he and his wife, wishes to raise their child themselves. Everyone tries not to make the same "mistakes" they consider their parents did...
I believe Fred and Mary will be a great, funny and loving parents to this litle Prince and brothers and sisters to follow... And to build this kind of relationship they have to be in a distance ""within an arm's length"":) !
Regards,
mtbcm

Out of topic: There is a pic of Prince Charles I can not forget. He was about 3/4 years old and his mum, the Queen, was returning from being a long time away, and when his mum approached him he greated her "Welcome home, Your Highness!" and gave his tiny hand to salute her formally. And she accepted this cumpliment. How far were them from eachother :eek: ?!

Last edited:
carlota said:
great to see they are leaving today (and in just an hour!)! can't wait to see photos of the baby...

any ideas about when the christening may be? hat's the protocol with royal christening with dates?

i think in 1-2 months

Congratulations to the Royal Couple. They must be very proud!

I've read that Christian is the favourite name becuase of tradition but I'm just wondering what the protocol surrounding the name is? I haven't read the entire thread so if it's a repeated question, then apologies.

Will the baby have more visitors? Not a lot of his family seems to have visited him, only his grandparents. In Belgium, both maternal and paternal grandparents paid Emmanuel and Mathilde a visit, and so did Princess Astrid with her husband and youngest daughter and Mathilde's sister Elisabeth.

There didn't seem to be a visit from Joachim or Alexandra, Nikolai or Felix. Benedikte was in Brazil, but what about her children visiting their cousin and his newborn son?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom