A Prince is Born: October 15, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like with most things it is fine to have pets around children, as long as you don;t leave them alone.

At this stage, I would be more concerned if Mary had a cat. I have cats and love them dearly but you have to be so careful as cats like warm, snug places and have been known to get in the cot/pram with the baby and that is obviously very dangerous.

Apart from things like that it is wonderful to grow up with animals, I can't imagine not having a pet in my life.

cass09 said:
I'd say the colour of the baby's skin was probably due to it being a little jaundiced. This is quite common in newborns, especially around the 3rd to 4th day, and it is more common in breastfed babies.
I have a question too; what does it mean to be jaundiced? Does that mean a little bit tired or something?

I can imagine a newborn being tired (I don';t know if that's what the word means or not) -- after all, it's not just the mommy doing all the work to get him here:p

Lady Marmalade said:
I did not say they all end happily. I applied the quote from Charles and Diana's wedding to Frederik and Mary.

No where do I say ALL fairytales end happily.;)

As we have seen many have ended with divorce, death, and remarriage.

i am saying that charles and diana can still be considered a fairytale. Happy ending or not.

suturegeisha said:
You did not just do a Punnett square! :p :p :p

Heheheh, oh, yes, I did! :p I love Punnett Squares. Let's learn more about genetics...:D

Oh! What a beautiful baby! Been away a couple of days, so I missed the pictures. Thanks to all who posted them!

Lillia said:
I have a question too; what does it mean to be jaundiced? Does that mean a little bit tired or something?

I can imagine a newborn being tired (I don';t know if that's what the word means or not) -- after all, it's not just the mommy doing all the work to get him here:p

It refers to his colour. Jaundiced babies usually have a yellowish tinge to their skin. It disappears after a few days/weeks...I don't actually know.

moosey60 said:
It refers to his colour. Jaundiced babies usually have a yellowish tinge to their skin. It disappears after a few days/weeks...I don't actually know.

thank you moosey60.

but even if it does disappear, why would it happen anyway?:p

The body produces bilirubin in response to newborns high red blood cell count. The baby's liver can not process it quickly enough so for few days the skins turns slight yellow. A normal process in most new borns.

Finally pictures :D .I haven't been here for a while, so...is the baby named yet?....And why is he most likely named Christian? :confused:

grevinnan said:
The body produces bilirubin in response to newborns high red blood cell count. The baby's liver can not process it quickly enough so for few days the skins turns slight yellow. A normal process in most new borns.

thank you for explaining that. grevinnan

so now I learnt some thing new today:)

runaway princess said:
Finally pictures :D .I haven't been here for a while, so...is the baby named yet?....And why is he most likely named Christian? :confused:

Glad to see so many new faces here! Yes the baby is adorable!

In case you missed it, he's most likely going to be named Christian because the Danish kings alternate between Frederik and Christian. Christian IX, the first king of the present family had a son Frederik VIII. Fred's son was Christian X and Christian X's son was Frederik IX. The present Queen Margrethe is the eldest daughter of that Frederik IX. When she gave birth to Crown Prince Frederik she asked her father if she could name her baby Frederik so that they could even up the Frederiks with the Christians. He said yes so Crown Prince Frederik will reign as Frederik X. That's why we think his son will be named Christian and reign as Christian XI.

runaway princess said:

Blast, I shouldn't be awake at this hour...but I'll answer it anyways...or attempt to:

The Danish royal family has a tradition of naming their heirs Frederik or Christian (or at least as a middle name, i.e. Nikolai William Alexander FREDERIK and Felix Henrik Valdemar CHRISTIAN) as the traditional kingly names are Frederik and Christian. They usually alternate between King Frederik and Christian. And since Frederik will be King Frederik (hopefully), this baby should be Prince Christian. But I don't think he HAS to have Christian as a first name. It just very likely if not positively will be one of his middle names.

Last edited:
SpiffyBallerina said:
Haha. Last night on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" tv show, there was a short video and the host said that all the new Danish prince needed to know was "To thine own self be true...and your girlfriend Ophelia is psychooooo." It was soooo funny.

I saw this and I started to jump up and down. I couldn't contain myself. It was so cool that they showed them.

"I don't think germs is an issue with dogs and cats although it can be with other humans. If a dog gets a cold, a baby can't catch it because its not the human version of the disease. But coming into contact with a human with a cold provides a real risk that the baby could come down with the cold."

I was thinking more of the fur and dirt on it. But then I'm sure a Royal dog will be kept in the best condition, so itprobably won't be a problem.
Thanks to everybody who provided an explanation for the naming of the baby.

Genevieve said:
Will the baby have more visitors? Not a lot of his family seems to have visited him, only his grandparents. In Belgium, both maternal and paternal grandparents paid Emmanuel and Mathilde a visit, and so did Princess Astrid with her husband and youngest daughter and Mathilde's sister Elisabeth.

There didn't seem to be a visit from Joachim or Alexandra, Nikolai or Felix. Benedikte was in Brazil, but what about her children visiting their cousin and his newborn son?
In this week's edition of Billedbladet, it was said that Alexandra, Felix and Nikolai are currently on vacation in Greece, in a house owned by her family, but that Joachim called her about the birth. They're planning on visiting as soon as they get home from vacation. (It's fall vacation in Denmark at the moment.)

thats amazing, it would be better if these companies give this sort of stuff to the poverty stricken people in 3rd world countries rather than a wealthy prince. NOt that Prince Christian(?) doesnt deserve the best!

Im just saying it would be nice if these companies could 'bend over backwards' giving these things to people who need it is all.

Australian said:
thats amazing, it would be better if these companies give this sort of stuff to the poverty stricken people in 3rd world countries rather than a wealthy prince. NOt that Prince Christian(?) doesnt deserve the best!

Im just saying it would be nice if these companies could 'bend over backwards' giving these things to people who need it is all.

they wont , its free advertising if the Prince ( baby that is) is seen
in one of there prams etc!! ........then people will wont to copy !
its all about how to make more money !!

sm1939 said:
they wont , its free advertising if the Prince ( baby that is) is seen
in one of there prams etc!! ........then people will wont to copy !
its all about how to make more money !!

yes of course i understand that, its just the concept gets me, anyway i guess if I was a manufacturer I would do the same thing.

Australian said:
yes of course i understand that, its just the concept gets me, anyway i guess if I was a manufacturer I would do the same thing.

I know what you mean some times life just isnt fair!

I feel the same; it´s just such an imbalance, giving gifts to the prince, who doesn´t need them, and millions of poor children who could be made so happy from a tiny gift.
Well, what Fred and Mary can do is to donate the toys to a children´s hospital or orphanage. That´s the least they can do.

Xandra said:
I feel the same; it´s just such an imbalance, giving gifts to the prince, who doesn´t need them, and millions of poor children who could be made so happy from a tiny gift.
Well, what Fred and Mary can do is to donate the toys to a children´s hospital or orphanage. That´s the least they can do.

That would be nice, even ideal. But they might think it would look rude if they give presents that they were presented with, to others. I think if these companies give under-priveldged people the presents, its a good way to celebrate the birth of the prince and lets everybody share in the the advantages. Afterall, isnt a monarchy about its people?

Australian said:
That would be nice, even ideal. But they might think it would look rude if they give presents that they were presented with, to others. I think if these companies give under-priveldged people the presents, its a good way to celebrate the birth of the prince and lets everybody share in the the advantages. Afterall, isnt a monarchy about its people?

I so llike that idea, :) !

I heard that a lot of the gifts that they royal couple gets, they give to charity...of course not the 'official' gifts like the ones from the companies, but little gifts from you and me for example...I'm not sure how valid this is though!

"Well, what Fred and Mary can do is to donate the toys to a children´s hospital or orphanage. That´s the least they can do."
That would probably be the most appropriate course of action not to mention the most compassionate.
After all do they really want their son to be a walking billboard for Mammas and Papas (or it's Danish equivalent).

I think it's crazy that so many of both of their families (Fred and Mary) haven't yet seen the baby. I know a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that their familes are spread across the globe but I'd imagine that when I have my first child, I will want everyone to come and see the new little bundle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom