A Prince is Born: October 15, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
norwegianne said:
Everybody is entitled to voice their opinion, as long as it is done politely, whether it be a negative or a positive one. That is what creates discussion.

:confused: Thanks Anne for checking in but I guess we have different opinions of what is polite. :confused:

Meanwhile back to Mary! :D

I think this is an article from Berlingske Tidende is about what they are going to do with the Tasmanian devils.

http://www.berlingske.dk/nyprins/artikel:aid=643906:fid=100100830/

Now I understand the exuberance but why would anyone think that the parents of a newborn would want some Tasmanian devils in their house???

I'd say the colour of the baby's skin was probably due to it being a little jaundiced. This is quite common in newborns, especially around the 3rd to 4th day, and it is more common in breastfed babies.

Re;

I think that Prince Christian (IMHO it's safe to call him that!) does look jaundiced as Cass09 said - I was jaundiced at birth but it doesn't last very long apparantly.

They really do make a wonderful family. He's bound to be gorgeous with such stunning parents.

It's not for the Crown Princes house but for Copenhagen zoo, as I've heard on the net.

ysbel said:
:confused: Thanks Anne for checking in but I guess we have different opinions of what is polite. :confused:

Meanwhile back to Mary! :D

I think this is an article from Berlingske Tidende is about what they are going to do with the Tasmanian devils.

http://www.berlingske.dk/nyprins/artikel:aid=643906:fid=100100830/

Now I understand the exuberance but why would anyone think that the parents of a newborn would want some Tasmanian devils in their house???

cristine said:
It's not for the Crown Princes house but for Copenhagen zoo, as I've heard on the net.

I'm glad they're going to keep the Tasmanian devils at the zoo instead of at the palace. I don't think poor Ziggy would be too happy having to share his house with Tasmanian devils!

And imagine what the devils could do with the poor dog! :D

irishchic5 said:
I'm glad they're going to keep the Tasmanian devils at the zoo instead of at the palace. I don't think poor Ziggy would be too happy having to share his house with Tasmanian devils!

I actually thought that Mary was quite exuberant when they got home. Did you notice how she was trying to pet Ziggy and then caught up to Frederick and threw her arm around his shoulder? I thought that was pretty cool and showed just how happy she seemed. I was also quite impressed that she got so dressed up when leaving the hospital. Never givin birth myself, but uggghhh, pantyhose? I'm afraid I would have opted for granny panties and sweatpants! You go girl! She looked gorgeous!

Yeah i definately agree! When she threw her arm around Fred, it looked as if she was so happy. They looked like a normal warm family when i saw that.

They just look really happy!
and its so nice to see !

Thanks for all the photos, videos, and articles. The little Prince is quite a cutie. The couple looks elated, proud, and overjoyed with their new son. :)

Mary looks so fit and fantastic for a woman who gave birth a few days ago. Perhaps it is a natural "high". I thought it was soooo cute how Ziggy ran up to her and she bent down to greet him. Perhaps Ziggy has missed his mistress for the days she was away. I also think it was a nice gesture for the couple to go down and greet the people at Fredensborg.

That being said, I must admit that I thought Frederik was just being "proud" when he said he contributed to the labour a great deal, but it seems Mary agreed when she said that she "couldn't have done it without him". So that validates Frederik's statement.:p

I wish all the best for this family:)

what video? the only one I see I couldnt open up!!
its sounds really good!

Last edited:
Lady Cathrine Rose said:
I actually thought that Mary was quite exuberant when they got home.

She's probably glad to get away from hospital food! Yuck! :D Ziggy looked happy to see them.

Haha. Last night on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" tv show, there was a short video and the host said that all the new Danish prince needed to know was "To thine own self be true...and your girlfriend Ophelia is psychooooo." It was soooo funny.

SpiffyBallerina said:
Haha. Last night on Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" tv show, there was a short video and the host said that all the new Danish prince needed to know was "To thine own self be true...and your girlfriend Ophelia is psychooooo." It was soooo funny.
Not without reason I'm nicknaming him "Hamlet."

Alot of lovely photos! I'm not so sure of having the dog around when there's now a newborn in the family. Let's hope he's kept away from the baby.

Little_star said:
Alot of lovely photos! I'm not so sure of having the dog around when there's now a newborn in the family. Let's hope he's kept away from the baby.

There is nothing wrong with having a dog around a newborn as long as the dog has a good temperament and is not left alone with the child. When I was a baby my parents had a German Shepherd. In fact, I learned how to walk by holding on to him. He was as gentle as a lamb.

"There is nothing wrong with having a dog around a newborn as long as the dog has a good temperament and is not left alone with the child. "

I hadn't even considerd the temperament, although surely that's something that can never be predicted? I was thinking more from a cleanliness/hygiene aspect, as well as all the possible germs a child could be exposed to.

Little_star said:
I hadn't even considerd the temperament, although surely that's something that can never be predicted? I was thinking more from a cleanliness/hygiene aspect, as well as all the possible germs a child could be exposed to.

Well temperament is important although the main reason I heard for keeping young children away from dogs and cats is to wait until the babies know not to pull puppy's tail. :)

I don't think germs is an issue with dogs and cats although it can be with other humans. If a dog gets a cold, a baby can't catch it because its not the human version of the disease. But coming into contact with a human with a cold provides a real risk that the baby could come down with the cold.

My parents had some cats when I was born, (and when I was young), and my mother was paranoid with keeping them away from me.
Apparently cats carry something called toxoplasmosis that can cause the baby to become ill if the baby is exposed to the cat.
But if the cat is kept indoors and the parents make sure the areas in which the baby lives are kept clean (if the cat also shares the space), there shouldn't be a problem.
I don't think there are any cleanliness problems with dogs (at least not any out of the ordinary), the only issue would be the temperament.
But, as the royal couple only have a dog (to the best of my knowledge) who seems to have a friendly temperament, there shouldn't be a problem for the baby.

Last edited:
Layla1971 said:
My parents had some cats when I was born, (and when I was young), and my mother was paranoid with keeping them away from me.
Apparently cats carry something called toxoplasmosis that can cause the baby to become ill if the baby is exposed to the cat.
But if the cat is kept indoors and the parents make sure the areas in which the baby lives are kept clean (if the cat also shares the space), there shouldn't be a problem.
I don't think there are any cleanliness problems with dogs (at least not any out of the ordinary), the only issue would be the temperament.
But, as the royal couple only have a dog (to the best of my knowledge) who seems to have a friendly temperament, there shouldn't be a problem for the baby.

Hi Layla, I think I know what you are talking about. Pregnant women cannot handle cat litter because of the danger of toxoplasmosis but I haven't heard the danger exists with the cat itself? :confused:

ysbel said:
Hi Layla, I think I know what you are talking about. Pregnant women cannot handle cat litter because of the danger of toxoplasmosis but I haven't heard the danger exists with the cat itself? :confused:

Apparently the cat can carry the germs on it's coat or fur (whichever word you use in France?), and if the baby pets the cat the germs can get on the baby's mouth or hands, and be transferred that way.
It is right about pregnant women, but also for newborns, and toddlers.

KikkiB said:
And another thing I've noticed, as grand-pa Donaldson told the press about that Scottish tradition dubbing an unchristened child "bairn". It shows, in my opinion, a conncetion between the Scottish dialects and the Nordic languages (at least Norwegian), because child in Norwegian is spelled "barn". Just observing...

It's the same in Danish ;) child = barn.

norwegianne said:
No names have been released yet. Christian seems to be an obvious choice, but no names have been released, as far as I can see at least.

If we're going to judge by Nikolai and Felix, who seem to be the most likely to compare with, the names weren't released until the Christening: Nikolai's christening was roughly two months after his birth, and Felix' also, though it was only a month with Frederik and Joachim.

Many people think that he will be baptized very soon. Reason: The dress the baby is going to fit is 100 years old and is a very small size so they have to hurry before he grows out of it :p

Little_star said:

Actually, recent studies have shown that being exposed to a pet early in life can help to prevent a child from developing allergies later in life. Plus, they're great friends to grow up with.

betina said:
Many people think that he will be baptized very soon. Reason: The dress the baby is going to fit is 100 years old and is a very small size so they have to hurry before he grows out of it :p

Do you think they'll wait until after Christmas to baptize him, just so the baptism isn't overshadowed by the holidays? I'd hate to have to wait until January!

irishchic5 said:
Do you think they'll wait until after Christmas to baptize him, just so the baptism isn't overshadowed by the holidays? I'd hate to have to wait until January!

Many thinks it will be in the start of December

irishchic5 said:
Actually, recent studies have shown that being exposed to a pet early in life can help to prevent a child from developing allergies later in life. Plus, they're great friends to grow up with.

Dunno about that... I grew up with cats, but now I'm allergic to them :(

Dianedk said:
Dunno about that... I grew up with cats, but now I'm allergic to them :(

I grew up with dogs but i am also allergic

Thanks everyone for all the pictures, the articles and the comments. A special thanks to Kil (I'm sure it must have been a long wait) for the lovely pictures of the couple and the little prince. I think that Frederik, Mary and the little prince look like a happy, normal family with their first newborn.

betina said:
Many thinks it will be in the start of December

That's too far off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom