A Prince is Born: October 15, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The baby is adorable! I learned in biology that everything that involves your eyes comes through your mother. Let's see if it's true with this baby or whether my teacher lied to me :D.

Joachim visited the new parents in the Hospital. I don't know about Alexandra & her children or any other royals tho. There are pictures a few pages back of Joachim coming out of the hospital. I don't know about Mary's siblings....I'm assuming they are all living in Australia so they probably have not visited yet. I'm sure some people were waiting to visit the new baby when they got home from the hospital.

Genevieve said:
Will the baby have more visitors? Not a lot of his family seems to have visited him, only his grandparents. In Belgium, both maternal and paternal grandparents paid Emmanuel and Mathilde a visit, and so did Princess Astrid with her husband and youngest daughter and Mathilde's sister Elisabeth.

There didn't seem to be a visit from Joachim or Alexandra, Nikolai or Felix. Benedikte was in Brazil, but what about her children visiting their cousin and his newborn son?

soCal girl said:
The baby is adorable! I learned in biology that everything that involves your eyes comes through your mother. Let's see if it's true with this baby or whether my teacher lied to me :D.

It depends on the genotypes...Brown is the dominant allele, blue is recessive.

Hehe, if we do a punnet square:
B=brown b=blue

Frederik has blue, he must be homozygous recessive for him to show blue eyes: he is bb
Mary: Depends...if everyone in her family has brown eyes, then she is most likely BB (homozygous dominant), but it also possible her mom or dad were heterozygous...so she could be Bb, potentially (which is what Alexandra has to be seeing as Nikolai and Felix both have blue eyes).

bb x Bb
B b
b Bb bb
b Bb bb

Sooooo, we can see that 50% of their kiddies will have blue eyes, and 50% will have brown eyes (obviously not that perfect in real life.)

If Mary is BB, then:

bb x BB
B B
b Bb Bb
b Bb Bb

100% brown

-------------

Did Mary's mom have blue eyes? Does Mary's Dad have blue eyes? If either of them did, then Mary is Bb for sure and the baby might have blue eyes...but if Mary's genotype is homozygous dominant, then the baby HAS to have brown eyes.
--------------

Hehe, a little biology lesson.
-------

He's a very cute baby regardless of eye colour. He looks like a little old man. So small! I hope they don't name him Christian. Christian should be one of his middle names, but he should have a name that fits him, and it'd be nice if it fit with his cousins' names, Nikolai and Felix which sound more modern than "Christian" or "Frederik"...at least to me.

Last edited:
Congratulations dear Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary upon the blessed arriva of your bunde of Joy.:) Mabrook: Arabik for Congratulations!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a question, but has anyone noticed how Princess Mary lacks a lot of charisma?? She lacks the enthusiasm and warmth Princess Diana exuded and I find it hard to believe that she stood out in the crowd at the Slip Inn, Sydney.

not that pretty

:)
mirsada said:
CP Mary looks gorgeous having just given birth. He is adorable and I'm jealous.
Not sure......there have been prettier princesses than her.....by far!

Denmark's Australian-born Crown Princess Mary is carried by her mother Henrietta Clark Donaldson in this 1972 file photo. From Reuters

Attachments

• r1539370520.jpg
    r1539370520.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 395
Princess Joanna said:
Just a question, but has anyone noticed how Princess Mary lacks a lot of charisma?? She lacks the enthusiasm and warmth Princess Diana exuded and I find it hard to believe that she stood out in the crowd at the Slip Inn, Sydney.

No I havent notice that Princess Mary lacks charisma, and Im glad she isnt like Princess Diana , ( there is only one Diana) Mary is her own person who is doing just fine , and as they say " Love is in the eye of the beholder":)

Last edited:
eireann said:
I´m fascinated by this Scandinavian tradition of not naming children until their christening...one question, what do they call their children until the name is announced??

When the mother-to-be goes into the hospital to give birth to a baby, she has to write down in her baby-clinic card some girl's and boy's name for the coming baby. That is because of the emergency babtism, if they see the baby is dying just after the birth. Emergency babtism is of course very, very seldom, but it has to be done sometimes, when the situation according the baby's healt is very serious. Anyway in Finland it is done so and I think it is the same in the other Nordic countries, too. Normally the baby is baptized, when it is about three months and until that the baby doesn't have any official name.

The best to the new prince and his family. I'm sure Mary and Frederik will be great parents and I look forward to the christening :) :) :)

eireann said:
I´m fascinated by this Scandinavian tradition of not naming children until their christening...one question, what do they call their children until the name is announced??

And I am fascinated by the tradition to give the baby a name just after it has born! Very curious. When I lived in Germany in 70s, I noticed that they gave names to babys just after birth and I was very surprised. I had never even heard of that way to give names.

Roxsteve said:
I think it looks totally ridiculous that they ask how big the baby was and instead of saying the actual measurement, they show it with their hands like a fish. It is kind of silly. Is this a danish tradition?

Just as SpiffyBallerina said it's just a fun gesture for a proud father to make. I know art least king Konstantin did show with hands, how big girl princess Alexia was, when she was born. I have a picture of it somewhere. And it really is very nice gesture, I think.

Athena said:
Royal or not. Danish or not. That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Thanks for the laugh; I needed it:rolleyes: .

Why do you think it is dumb? Every country has it's own laws. In the Nordic countries we do not have the law to name a baby just after the birth and that't that! There is nothing ridiculous in that, or anyway I don't see the funny side in the situation ...

I must say that for such a tiny tot, the little prince sure is popular in this forum not strange at all though, cute as he is:D Just noticed that this thread has 26 pages :eek: :D :eek: quite a lot for a fellow which is less than a week old!

And another thing I've noticed, as grand-pa Donaldson told the press about that Scottish tradition dubbing an unchristened child "bairn". It shows, in my opinion, a conncetion between the Scottish dialects and the Nordic languages (at least Norwegian), because child in Norwegian is spelled "barn". Just observing...

What a wonderful little family they are, they looked like such a warm and loving little unit on these pictures. Crown Princess Mary looks great so soon after giving birth, and the little one is very cute!

I'm looking forward to the christening and the announcement of the name, it will all be very interesting to follow.

Thanks to everyone for the pictures!

KikkiB said:
And another thing I've noticed, as grand-pa Donaldson told the press about that Scottish tradition dubbing an unchristened child "bairn". It shows, in my opinion, a conncetion between the Scottish dialects and the Nordic languages (at least Norwegian), because child in Norwegian is spelled "barn". Just observing...
A very interesting observation Kiki, it really does show the connection between our languages. Barn is also child in Swedish.

As a recent mom myself, I can imagine what CP Mary feels:very happy and totally fulfilled. God Bless the New Prince and his parents.

I think you mean that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Mary may be her 'own person' but she tries too hard to act 'royal'. Lets face facts she is a commoner and not born into royalty so therefore she must remember her ancestry. I find a natural exhuberance a far greater virtue than a cold and forced personality.

moosey60 said:
It depends on the genotypes...Brown is the dominant allele, blue is recessive.
Thank you Moosey60! Very interesting. I can remember all that from the school and at time I, too, found it interesting

Princess Joanna said:
I think you mean that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Mary may be her 'own person' but she tries too hard to act 'royal'. Lets face facts she is a commoner and not born into royalty so therefore she must remember her ancestry. I find a natural exhuberance a far greater virtue than a cold and forced personality.

sorry was meant to say beauty instead of love !
cant see it myself ,"mary trying hard to act 'royal'"
Just see her doing her job, and a good job she is doing too!

take another look at her coming out of the hosptial with her baby
does she look like a cold and forced personality??:) dont think so, but I suppose everyone has there own opinion ,

Last edited:
I wonder why some people spend most of their time here making mean-sprited comments about royals they don't like. I come here for enjoyment and to spend time posting on royals I like. There are royals I don't like but I don't spend time on their threads.

I happen to like Mary and think she looks so happy with the birth of her new child so I prefer to spend my time here. I wish others would do the same. Life is too short making mean comments about people you don't like.

I totally agree with you Ysbel.

ysbel said:
I wonder why some people spend most of their time here making mean-sprited comments about royals they don't like. I come here for enjoyment and to spend time posting on royals I like. There are royals I don't like but I don't spend time on their threads.

I happen to like Mary and think she looks so happy with the birth of her new child so I prefer to spend my time here. I wish others would do the same. Life is too short making mean comments about people you don't like.

Wonderfully expressed ysbel.

"MII"

I'm just going to add some more about the eye color and then I promise I'll get back on the original subject! The stuff that are taught in schools about genetics etc. are mostly wrong. Eye color is dependant on several things like what genes you inherit and what genes are active. Also mutations in the genes may affect it. For more interesting info, read here.

And back to the subject!! Many people here in Finland wonder about the baby's skin color and claim he looks tanned. I don't see it but then again, babies in my family, in my husband's family and even in my sister's husband's family tend to have a yellowish/olive skin color. I'm not just talking about the common yellowing that happens to babies often although that too is fairly common in my family.
I believe the little prince is just a bit yellow.

Everybody is entitled to voice their opinion, as long as it is done politely, whether it be a negative or a positive one. That is what creates discussion.

The pictures are wonderful and the baby is adorable. It's lovely to see a couple so happy and united. And it was funny to see Fred carrying the baby. He didn't seem used to it :p
And Mary has showed women don't need to gain a lot of weight to have a healthy baby. Some women I know get a lot of weight during the pregnancy and after the delivery, never loses the extra weight.

the baby is so cute, the color of the baby skin is cause the baby was born 2 weeks earlier and his skin has matured but it will change in due time, my aunty is a doctor and she told me the reson why the baby has a yellow glow to him. But Mary looks so beautiful. Fredy is a proud daddy, now he will look forward in teaching him things as he grows older.

They are saying his name will be Prins Christian to follow in tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom