A Prince is Born: October 15, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tricia said:
I am hoping his name isn't Christian. Give him a different first name, like Valdemar...Valdemar Frederik Henrik John. BT has the names Christian Frederik Henrik John, by the way.
Valdemar is one of Felix' names, though, when you're giving out four names, you can't be too picky... ;)

If we're going for old Danish regal names in addition to some of the more traditional names: I kind of like Gorm, and Harald. It would be nice if Mary and Frederik didn't go the route everybody expects them to go with the names - like Alexandra and Joachim did, and Margrethe and Henrik did with Joachim. Little "Hamlet" (I'm calling him that until we get a name ;)) has to have some traditional names, but there are no laws stating that they have to name him after grandparents (in this case Henrik and John).

Personally I think it might be nice to just use Henrik, as it can be both for Frederik's father and Mary's mother...

tricia said:
I am hoping his name isn't Christian. Give him a different first name, like Valdemar...Valdemar Frederik Henrik John. BT has the names Christian Frederik Henrik John, by the way.

I agree with you...it is not that i don't like the name Christian but Mary&Fred can change the name.I like Valdemar :)
-Valdemar Frederik Henrik John
-Valdemar Christian Henrik John

soCal girl said:
I know Alexandra and Joachim are divorced but she is still in some sense part of the family. Does anybody know whether she'll visit Mary in the hospital or will she when Mary's released? Since Nikolai and Felix have a new cousin now...:D

I am sure that Alex will visit, if she hasn't done so already. She may wait until Monday or until the baby is brought home. I am sure that she and Joachim are excited for their sons to meet their new cousin.

caroline mathilda said:
This is sort of like the fish story: "The fish I caught was THIS big!"

CM

LOL caroline mathilda!

Well I admit to having a fondness for the name Christian. My cousin was named that when it wasn't known in the family at all. My uncles made fun of it but now all the girls love his name. They go "Oh Chr-i-i-i-s-ti-a-a-a-n-n" and bat their eyelashes. :D It may be common in the DRF but its not common in general and it hasn't been used in the family for 60 years so I think its about time to pull it out again.

Plus I want to hear all the future princesses go "Oh Chr-i-i-i-s-ti-a-a-a-n-n" :D

iowabelle said:
Valdemar sounds too much like Harry Potter, don't you think?

Christian's a good name.

Valdemar is an old king name in Denmark. We had Valdemar the Great, Valdemar the victorious and so on.
So its a very royal name in Denmark

ysbel said:
LOL caroline mathilda!

Well I admit to having a fondness for the name Christian. My cousin was named that when it wasn't known in the family at all. My uncles made fun of it but now all the girls love his name. They go "Oh Chr-i-i-i-s-ti-a-a-a-n-n" and bat their eyelashes. :D It may be common in the DRF but its not common in general and it hasn't been used in the family for 60 years so I think its about time to pull it out again.

Plus I want to hear all the future princesses go "Oh Chr-i-i-i-s-ti-a-a-a-n-n" :D

Christian or Kristian is a very commmon name in Denmark

I hope its Christian (if not, oh well)

I like Christian Andre Henrik John.

We shall see...

"MII"

I hope for 'Christian Frederik Henrik John', it sounds very regal and yet modern.

Congratulations Mary and Fred!

Welcome Little Prince!

Sorry guys, there's a great pic of Mary and her baby but I can't upload it for some reason. :(

ysbel said:
Sorry guys, there's a great pic of Mary and her baby but I can't upload it for some reason. :(
the photo on bt.dk isn´t of Mary´s baby. Its a old photo from a few months ago

Congratulations to both Frederick and Mary and the people of Denmark on the birth of the new heir.

Congratulations to Mary and frederik and the gandparents and the people of Denmark
for the newborn little prince!

Congratulations to Frederik and Mary! And I was right: it's a boy! I'm so anxious to see the little baby face! Oh, and we have to wait for so much time to know the name! It's unfair!

When it comes down to it...it doesn't matter what WE think his names should be, does it? I just hope they do get a say, since he is their child. They shouldn't go with a certain name just because Queen Margrethe says so, or because it would follow tradition.

Congratulations to both Mary and Fred and both their families as well!!
I've been fascinated with them for a while now, they were married the week before I was and I thought that was so great!

It's amazing to think about everything that rides on the shoulders of this tiny little baby already. There will be many obstacles ahead, no doubt, but we wish them the best!!!!

ysbel said:
I guess the men in the family think their duty is to measure the little prince. These are all from TV2.

Have you noticed how much the little one has grown over the past day? :D

From left to right: papa Kronprins Frederik, uncle Prins Joachim, and grandpa Prins Henrik.
I think Prince Freds estimation over his babys length is much more realistic and believable than that of Prince Joachim and Henrik^s..

Do we know when they will leave the hospital?

Frederik looks like he's describing a fish..."I caught one THIS BIG!" :)

I have a question, there was all this talk of changing the law to allow a female to ascend to the throne-doesnt Denmark presently have a queen? then how come the law needs to change? And if the current law only allows males to ascend the thorone, then how come they currently have a queen and not a king?

cd_1 said:
I have a question, there was all this talk of changing the law to allow a female to ascend to the throne-doesnt Denmark presently have a queen? then how come the law needs to change? And if the current law only allows males to ascend the thorone, then how come they currently have a queen and not a king?
The current law was altered in 1953, to allow women to ascend to the throne, as King Frederik and Queen Ingrid only had girls. However, seeing as it was 1953 - it was only altered to the point that if Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie would have gotten a brother after the change - he would have been king instead of Margrethe being Queen. I believe it is the same pattern that they have in the United Kingdom, without being 100% sure. Females have a right to the throne - but males go before females in the line, as other siblings go before younger.

The current line to the Danish throne is:
Crown Prince Frederik
Prince "Hamlet."/Christian or whatever they'll name him.
Prince Joachim
Prince Nikolai
Prince Felix
Princess Benedikte
Princess Elisabeth (Daughter of Prince Knud, King Frederik's younger brother, who was the first heir to the thone until 1953)

It should be the first born child, NOT JUST the first born male.

norwegianne said:
The current law was altered in 1953, to allow women to ascend to the throne, as King Frederik and Queen Ingrid only had girls. However, seeing as it was 1953 - it was only altered to the point that if Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie would have gotten a brother after the change - he would have been king instead of Margrethe being Queen. I believe it is the same pattern that they have in the United Kingdom, without being 100% sure. Females have a right to the throne - but males go before females in the line, as other siblings go before younger.

The current line to the Danish throne is:
Crown Prince Frederik
Prince "Hamlet."/Christian or whatever they'll name him.
Prince Joachim
Prince Nikolai
Prince Felix
Princess Benedikte
Princess Elisabeth (Daughter of Prince Knud, King Frederik's younger brother, who was the first heir to the thone until 1953)

Elisabeth was not the first heir until 1953 that was her brother Ingolf

betina said:
Elisabeth was not the first heir until 1953 that was her brother Ingolf
No, it was Elisabeth's father, Prince Knud, who was the first heir until 1953, which my sentence said, albeit perhaps a bit clumsily. Ingolf had the place that the current newborn prince has.

I´m fascinated by this Scandinavian tradition of not naming children until their christening...one question, what do they call their children until the name is announced??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom