Zara Phillips & Mike Tindall's Wedding: July 30, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I came across this picture on my twitter, and found the facial expressions to be rather amusing. Would love to know what was going on.
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/12...514BC31830DF6079BB955B86D68E338F4EDFF322DFCA5

Kate spots the photographer Chris Jackson of Getty Images and points it out to William. (Chris admitted to it himself on Twitter). Not given official access to the church, the media hired a cafe opposite the church and were presumably snapping away from the balcony.

I should say Chris Jackson isn't new to WK. He took the exclusive "official Canada tour" photo (the ones of them in navy) of the couple and was also the only photographer on the tarmac as they departed LA.

Somehow Zara did not look like the daughter of the Princess Royal but like a "mere" Miss Phillips. Which is what I personally like in her and her approach to the wedding. Her dress suited her and her husband, IMHO, it was a dress for a normal girl who wanted to be princess for a day while Catherine back in april wore a dress for a future princess and queen.

This is the most hideous gown I've seen in quite a while, when someone in royal circles marry. I'm sorry, but it looks cheap and made in a hurry this dress. Didn't they have enough fabric, and had to sew on a piece of another fabric at the bottom?

My opinion lies somewhere in between these two. I'm not familiar with Zara's personal style, but the fact she chose a low-key look thrills me. But her dress looks a cheap knock-off of Kate's...and that the dressmaker had no money to buy lace and so tossed on tulle instead for the back and sleeves. And, yet, somehow, the dress charms me. It's completely, utterly bland but she's so radiant that one forgets about the dress.

That said, I do like the back of the gown and the contrast of the tiara (which seems "practical" rather than "romantic") to the softness of the gown.

Zara is not taking her husbands name. When she fills out form she will be Zara Phillips.

Lovely Bride, was surprised there were no sleeves on the wedding gown, very pleased she wore a Tiara, love diamond headpieces on a Bride.:)
Happiness to them both.:)
HM Queen - elegant as always.:)
Loved Kate, she fits right in.:)
Loved Sophie, Outfit perfect - she will be known for those Hats she wears, & for pulling it off and still looking elegant.:)
Bea & Eugenie, much better dressed than the last wedding.:)
Eugenie looks like she is dressing as a 40 year old IMO.:whistling:
Mother of the Bride, looks like Princess Anne with a brighter skirt!!! :)
Camilla, looked more relaxed at this one, interesting head piece.:)

Does anyone know why Andrew Parker-Bowles was there?:whistling:

Was he at Wills & Kate's Wedding?

And who were the Flower Girls? (sad not to see Lady Louise):sad:

I would guess because he is one of Zara's godfathers and a lifelong friend of Princess Anne's. It would be for a similar reason that Mrs Jackie Stewart who is one of her godmothers was invited with her husbandm of course.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsa...ementofthechristeningofLadyLouiseWindsor.aspx

Zara Phillips (b. 15 May 1981) was christened Zara Anne Elizabeth on 27 July 1981 in the Private Chapel, Windsor Castle, by the Dean of Windsor, the Rt Rev. Michael Mann.

Her godparents were: her uncle the Duke of York; the Countess of Lichfield; Mrs Jackie Stewart; Colonel Andrew Parker- Bowles; and Mr Hugh Thomas.

Last edited:
Does anyone know who the blonde haired lady in blue is who was in the car with Princess Anne and Tim Laurence? Is she the second wife of Mark Phillips?

But her dress looks a cheap knock-off of Kate's...

Except that it's completely different! They're both big white dresses, but that's the end of the similarities, as far as I can see.

I love the structural front seaming and the dropped waist. I thought it was lovely. I'm a fan of sleeves on wedding dresses, but at least her shoulders were covered. The veil was over the top and looked out of control, but the tiara was amazing to see. I thought she did a good job!

Does anyone know who the blonde haired lady in blue is who was in the car with Princess Anne and Tim Laurence? Is she the second wife of Mark Phillips?

Yes, that was Sandy Pflueger Phillips.

As he is one of Zara's godfathers would be the reason why. The same with Mrs Jackie Stewart who is one of her godmothers.

Announcement of the christening of Lady Louise Windsor

Zara Phillips (b. 15 May 1981) was christened Zara Anne Elizabeth on 27 July 1981 in the Private Chapel, Windsor Castle, by the Dean of Windsor, the Rt Rev. Michael Mann.

Her godparents were: her uncle the Duke of York; the Countess of Lichfield; Mrs Jackie Stewart; Colonel Andrew Parker- Bowles; and Mr Hugh Thomas.

Didn't Andrew P-B date Princess Anne early on? Obviously they have remained close over the years. I see him in the background at so many of these events.

Was the best man in some kind of brawl? One picture from Getty showed him with cuts and bruises above and below his left eye.

I think I read he fell off his moped in France last week. The scabs looks disgusting but at least he's okay.

Here's my two cents on the wedding:
  • Beatrice and Eugenie looked like they swapped the outfits they wore to William & Catherine's wedding. I know they're not the same outfits, but all I could think of when I saw B was the turquoise disaster E wore to The Wedding. And the fact that they were designed by the Queen's personal couturier Angela Kelly does not reflect well on Miss Kelly.
  • Mother of the Bride Princess Anne - She had a real shot at making some best-dressed lists here until she added the jacket. Do we know if this is a new outfit or recycled? At least she saved it by adding nude heels and clutch. I have a hunch there are some dyed-to-match heels lurking in a wardrobe somewhere. The jacket is the only negative here.
  • Countess Sophie is best dressed. I love that she's stepping up her game so as to not fall into the same category as the Queen and Camilla. Sophie is perfection all around here!
  • Camilla - I'm curious about what is nesting in her coiffure, and where are the shoes that go with this outfit? Seriously, she didn't need to jump on the nude pump bandwagon (unless it was specified on the wedding invite dresscode) if she had shoes that looked better with this outfit.
  • Zara looks radiantly beautiful! The only thing I didn't like about her dress was the tulle shoulder straps. I'm sure the church mandated "shoulders covered" but I think they distract from the line of the dress. I love that is was an 'off the rack' dress instead of custom made, in keeping with the economy, etc. The Meander Tiara looks wonderful on her and I hope it becomes "hers" someday. I could never picture Zara in a tiara but this one works on her. And I love that there's serious family history with it.
Which leads me to my parting question: (well, actually my mother's question which I wasn't able to answer)
Did any of the Queen's children - and specifically Prince Charles & Princess Anne - ever meet or get to know their paternal grandmother Princess Alice?

P.S. I don't think it's appropriate to wear white to another woman's wedding - it's disrespectful. I also cannot get on board with wearing black to weddings. My grandmothers and mother were sticklers for etiquette and wearing black to a wedding because it means you disapprove of the union. Heck, I was even called out on the "carpet" in the vestibule of a church the minute I arrived because my dress was the same color as the bridesmaid dresses. How was I supposed to know that?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Emeralds and Opals
Photo from Getty Images

Katherine looks a bit tense in this picture and less smiley today than she normally does.

The photo leads me to think that she might be preparing to enter the car. Mind you, her hat has added about 10 inches in height to her head. She could be reminding herself not to knock her hat off of her head while entering the car. I am tired of these flying saucer hats.

Are there any more pics of the back of Zara's dress? I'd like to see more of the detail.

I would assume that they did, because Princess Alice lived in Buckingham Palace from 1967 to 1969, after the fall of the monarchy in Greece until her death.

Which leads me to my parting question: (well, actually my mother's question which I wasn't able to answer)
Did any of the Queen's children - and specifically Prince Charles & Princess Anne - ever meet or get to know their paternal grandmother Princess Alice?

I so agree about the over-the-top look of these hats. I guess I'm just not fascinated by fascinators; give me the traditional toppers.
Yeah I find I don't care for most of the hats now.I remember some of that hat's Diana would wear as opposed to the hats wearing her!

Maybe it's the Lady Gaga influance?What would fit in at one of her concerts looks overwhelming at these royal events and gatherings.

My husband walked into the room when Zara emerged from the kirk and said (I must stess that he is not interested in these things generally) "Oh, she looks really fat!". Having seen pics of Zara on the "Britannia" the night before that is clearly not the case . I don't think her arms are great but I do think that her wedding gown, veil, indeed that whole ensemble did not do her any favours at all. On a different note, how lovely was Sophie's hair? She and Kate's hats were so similair but Sophie really knew how to were it with effect.

Is he astigmatic? Or perhaps just not used to women who are more athletic - as Zara is certainly not fat, but has more than the minimum amount of muscle on her frame (which is good for health and for sports). Both Zara and her husband look athletically capable, not frail.

Will we know any details from the reception at Holyrood(i.e. flavour(s) of the wedding cake and the menu)?

:flowers:

Having read everyone's views here I will add my two cents worth:

Zara - loved the dress as it was just so much like I would expect Zara to wear - something no one else would expect. At first I thought she should have had more coverage over the top but then I had another couple of looks and it comes across as a lovely dress and it suits her. The bouquet was also a great one and so typical of royal bouquets with the all white and I am sure there will be the traditional myrtle that has been in the British royal bouquets since 1840 (Kate had some in her bouquet as well). The tiara was a wonderful choice and a great acknowledgement of her grandfather and his influence in her, and her mother's lives. Having actually seen this tiara in 2002 when it was on display at the Victoria and Albert museum as part of the Golden Jubilee displays and it is delicate looking.

The Queen - a usual straightforward single colour ensemble - it looks like the Queen's standard wedding 'uniform'. She does tend to wear the same style in just different colours to these sorts of events.

Camilla - another 'uniform' outfit - she also wears this style to weddings and similar events so nothing surprising here and I loved her hat as again it is the style she wears a lot of the time - and it is her style - distinctive and could even be named 'the Camilla look'

Catherine - bland as usual and the hat designed to be over the top and to guarantee that she gets more exposure than she should on this day (e.g. CNN have just done a 30 sec talk over a series of photos from the wedding - two images of Zara and Mike and then about 10 of Kate) - a smaller hat would have been more appropriate - I can't think of anything she has worn that says 'wow' - they are all bland but that suits her blandness and her husband as well

Beatrice - got it right - not surprising seeing as it was designed by Angela Kelly who dresses the Queen - evidence that the Queen herself possibly has taken a hand in the clothing choices of her granddaughters - maybe after William's wedding Andrew asked for help for his daughters from within his family rather than leaving the guidance to be coming from their mother (although I liked Beatrice outfit at William's wedding if you remove the hat) - loved the colour, the hat was more appropriate for this occasion - top marks from me

Eugenie - another improvement since April and I loved the bow - on a 21 year old - but if she tried it in 10 years it would be awful - suited the occasion and her age and again from Angela Kelly - her choice of colour though could have been better - both girls look best in solid colours rather than blends

Sophie - good as usual - but I wasn't all that fussed with the back - would rate her as making a solid effort this year - she looked good because she is so comfortable in her own skin and her position

Anne - well she was Anne - skirt looked good but that top - if anyone hadn't known who the mother-of-the-bride was they wouldn't guess it from that mishmash of clothes. She can look so good - but again in solid colours - two weddings this year and two huge misses for Anne and unfortunately one of these weddings was her own daughters

Autumn - got it right as the sister-in-law of the bride - looked good and happy and comfortable - loved the colour as well

The bridesmaids and Matron of honour looked a bit washed out but they always do a royal weddings with the colour being white. Why they don't put some colour in them I don't know - but no doubt we will have to wait until Beatrice gets married to see some chance of a bit of colour on bridesmaids but... The actual design for the little girls was fine but for Stephanie and the Matron of Honour I think they should have been longer - they all looked like 'little girl' dresses.

The blokes - ok they were all wearing the same basic suit design - pleasant to look at of course.

Mike - couldn't stop smiling - and his nose is so distinctive - I hope he has a good World Cup but not win it (go Wallabies) but he can be on the loosing side in the final (unlike 2003 when he was on the winning side and won himself a bride)

Philip - gee he looks good for 90

Charles - again looking good - he simply seems to be getting younger these days

William and Harry - happy and ok looking - need to do a double take if William isn't with Kate to check it isn't Edward - he is looking a lot older than 29 - looking closer to 40 than 30 (as does his wife actually) - Harry looked like he wanted to break into some sort of larrikanism but couldn't with the minister looking on

Andrew - so pleased to hear the cheers when he got out of the car - looks like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders - his trip to Canada and giving up Trade role have taken years off him and made him look happy - unlike April

Edward - as usual looks good - and as a happy husband why shouldn't he?

Peter and Tim - hardly noticed them

Mark Philips - nice to see him and he looked good - but his looks have deserted him a bit over the years - he looked so much like the proud father of course and it was also good to see him with Anne at the end - well he was with Mike's mother and Anne with Mike's father but the four of them together seemed comfortable together.

I don't have much to add...I feel the same way about most of the guests. The Queen, Camilla and Kate seem to have a style that they rarely deviate from. On the Queen and Camilla this is fine, but I find it bland on Kate, because she's so much younger. However...I don't think she wore the hat to draw attention to herself. (I liked the hat, btw - the rest of the outfit was unexciting.) Kate could wear black every day, and news anchors would still call attention to her and Prince William. (To be fair, having seen William on two separate occasions in Ottawa, he does stand out in a crowd - because he's noticeably taller than everyone else!) As for Catherine, she will be the focus of attention for the next little while, no matter what she wears, and there's not much she can do about it.

I really liked Beatrice's dress, especially the bright colour. This is probably because I'm a more creative person myself, but I like the way she makes creative choices with fashion. Her clothes haven't always looked good, but they're always interesting, and lately she seems to be combining creativity with style.

I'm not totally sure if Zara's dress was the right type for her figure - she has a very athletic build - but I liked the billowy effect of the veil and the full skirt. It was very bride-like (for lack of a better description). Also, she and Mike looked so happy, that's all that really matters. :flowers:

P.S. I don't think it's appropriate to wear white to another woman's wedding - it's disrespectful. I also cannot get on board with wearing black to weddings. My grandmothers and mother were sticklers for etiquette and wearing black to a wedding because it means you disapprove of the union. Heck, I was even called out on the "carpet" in the vestibule of a church the minute I arrived because my dress was the same color as the bridesmaid dresses. How was I supposed to know that?!

It may be because I am am unabashed fan of Lady Sarah Chatto's chic and incredibly tasteful understated style, but I believe she pulls off the white at a wedding and makes it acceptable. It's very clear that with her age, station and taste level she is not competing with the bride. The color choice seems simply festive and "on theme". I feel like an exception can be made for "women of a certain age".

Oddly, I felt that Kate who is in the bride's age group, with her off white coat and over-sized satellite dish, was close to being inappropriate. Then again she could wear a burlap sack and we would still be gawking!

They did do so both before and after she came to live at BP although Edward and Andrew had a greater chance as they weren't at boarding school when she lived with them.

There was a story I read once where Edward would spend some time with her every day when they were in London.

I think the bride looked dazzling! I LOVED the dress. Definitely to my tastes ~ very feminine and whimsical. I also loved the veil, which I think gave the whole ensemble a very flattering ethereal look. And the bouquet was perfect! She looked fabulous, healthy and quite relaxed, actually.

Congratulations to the couple and may they have many, many, many years of happiness!

Zara and Mike are a lovely couple, I especially like Mike, he seems so genuine and friendly.
Zara´s dress was one of the ugliest wedding dresses I have ever seen a royal bride wear. It looked cheap, there was nothing that was right in it and it didn´t suit Zara at all. The tiara suited her though. The bridal bouquet is too much like a funeral bouquet to me. I liked the wedding photo, it was something different.
The queen looked great as always, Camilla´s hat was hideous. Anne´s jacket was so awful that I don´t have words for it. Catherine looked appropriate but boring and she has too much eye-liner. Bea and Eugenie are loyal to their style. Bea looked quite nice, Eugenie not so nice. The best dressed was the duchess of Wessex.
HQ photos:
Boda de Zara Phillips y Mike Tindall: Galería en Bekia

Last edited:
What a greta day for the family, everybody looked really happy especially the groom & bride.

Zara's dress was a big disappointment, it was quite unflattering and very boring. The cut and style did nothing to her body, the shoulder straps were a big mistake as they didn't suit her arms. The veil looked really messy to me and it wasn't placed nicely on Zara's head.

My husband walked into the room when Zara emerged from the kirk and said (I must stess that he is not interested in these things generally) "Oh, she looks really fat!". Having seen pics of Zara on the "Britannia" the night before that is clearly not the case . I don't think her arms are great but I do think that her wedding gown, veil, indeed that whole ensemble did not do her any favours at all. On a different note, how lovely was Sophie's hair? She and Kate's hats were so similair but Sophie really knew how to were it with effect.

Honestly speaking - I also noticed the difference between the pre-wedding party and the actual wedding outfit. Somehow I think I expected something less standard..... One thought which came to my mind when I saw her (and pls don't shout at me for that) - she looked like she is expecting....

He's Zara's godfather.
Yes he was there. He's pretty much at all the big events.
Matron of Honour was - Dolly Maude.
Bridesmaids were - Stephanie Phillips, Nell Maude, Jaz Jocelyn, Hope Balshaw.

It's faux pas because white is reserved only for the bride.
Louise was already a flower girl this year, at William's wedding; once is enough.

Last edited:
Louise was already a flower girl this year, at William's wedding; once is enough.

White at a wedding for the bride depends on the culture. Increasingly I see people wearing white to weddings so it seems that the tradition is changing.

White is clearly not reserved for the bride as for two british weddings this year we've seen the bridesmaids and flowergirls in white.

Also, who are to determine if "once is enough"? Rather rude of you.

Back
Top Bottom