Zara Phillips & Mike Tindall's Wedding: July 30, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zara looked really nice. Not very special but she looked very sweet. SHe has a beautiful skin! I also like the bouquet. I am not a fan of all-white usually but this one is a topper imo.
I don't know anything about her groom but to me he looks a bit like a criminal...although I must say he looked very happy.

Sophie Wessex looked very very nice. What has happened to her? Found another stylist? She could look really matronly. But she looks amazing now. I am jealous.. how does she manage to stay so young looking. She has hardly any lines in her face. She is not a type for botox I think.

I love the outfit of Beatrice. Nice color and I think the skirt was good. Espcially because she has lost weight. I thougth I liked Eugenia's outfit... but had not seen the back of it. That bow is not a good idea. Both girls have actually very sweet faces.

Catherine.. CAN SOMEONE IN GREAT-BRITAIN TELL HER TO STOP USING EYE-LINER??
This is NOT!!!!! nice. Her face looks really harsh ( is that correct english) she looks older her eyes look smaller... bleeeeeh. Its the first thing you see.
By the way also the York girls and Sophie are using to much eyeliner.

No Brawl

Someone asked a few pages back if the best man had been in a brawl before the wedding because he had a black eye and bruised face. No, as has been widely reported, he was in a motor accident last week and thankfully survived.

Zara looked really nice. Not very special but she looked very sweet. SHe has a beautiful skin! I also like the bouquet. I am not a fan of all-white usually but this one is a topper imo.
I don't know anything about her groom but to me he looks a bit like a criminal...although I must say he looked very happy.

Sophie Wessex looked very very nice. What has happened to her? Found another stylist? She could look really matronly. But she looks amazing now. I am jealous.. how does she manage to stay so young looking. She has hardly any lines in her face. She is not a type for botox I think.

I love the outfit of Beatrice. Nice color and I think the skirt was good. Espcially because she has lost weight. I thougth I liked Eugenia's outfit... but had not seen the back of it. That bow is not a good idea. Both girls have actually very sweet faces.

Catherine.. CAN SOMEONE IN GREAT-BRITAIN TELL HER TO STOP USING EYE-LINER??
This is NOT!!!!! nice. Her face looks really harsh ( is that correct english) she looks older her eyes look smaller... bleeeeeh. Its the first thing you see.
By the way also the York girls and Sophie are using to much eyeliner.

No, I don't think she will stop using eyeliner, nor do I think she should. She's been wearing it for years, obviously feels comfortable with it and I think it suits her. As far as I know, we have never seen her without eyeliner so we cannot know for real how that would look (unless my memory escapes me at the moment).

Of course people can dislike it, but I think they'd better get used to it...

My husband walked into the room when Zara emerged from the kirk and said (I must stess that he is not interested in these things generally) "Oh, she looks really fat!". Having seen pics of Zara on the "Britannia" the night before that is clearly not the case . I don't think her arms are great but I do think that her wedding gown, veil, indeed that whole ensemble did not do her any favours at all. On a different note, how lovely was Sophie's hair? She and Kate's hats were so similair but Sophie really knew how to were it with effect.

For some reason I thought she was going to change her name because,Zara Tindall sounds nice!

In correct English form she would actually be Mrs. Mike Tindall (only Mrs. Zara Tindall in case of a divorce).

In that respect, Autumn Phillips is not correct either - in correct form she is Mrs. Peter Phillips. And yes, I used the first name in one of my posts so I was not using the correct usage :p

The official photo was taken in the ruins of the mediaeval Holyrood Abbey, which is right beside the Palace of Holyrood House. All very historic - and different!

I am glad that (apart from the page boy) only the Scottish men wore kilts (Sir Jackie Stewart and Scottish rugby player Rory Lawson). I think it would have been seen locally as insulting and 'mickey taking' if all Mike's English rugby player friends appeared in kilts. :)

I wish they viewed the wedding of tv because i would really wanted to see it

All of you saying Zara is too athletic for a 'girly' look - if you can't look girly on your wedding day when can you? I know lots of girls, several of whom play ladies rugby for goodness sake, who love nothing more than looking as girly as possible on special occasions.

Zara looks very happy which, let's face it is the most important thing.

I think the same. Just because a woman is athletic doesn't mean that she can't be feminine and dainty too. I liked her dress except for the bottom. Anyway, it is her wedding day and if she likes/loves the dress, that is all that matters.

I wish Zara and Mike all the best and I hope they have a long and very happy marriage.

I thought Zara looked absolutely stunning and I adored her gown and veil. Her entire "look" was pure elegance and the newlywed couple just radiated happiness.

I'll be unpopular and post that I prefer Zara's gown to Kate's by a wide margin, although I do realise it would not have worked as well in Westminster Abbey and Zara did not have many of the considerations that Kate had to keep in mind.

On a side note, too many of the guests' hats looked like satellites! I wish there would be a return to more traditional millinery.

The Countess of Wessex stood out as the most elegant member of the BRF, IMO and I also thought HM looked especially lovely today.

There just seems to be joy radiating from this event and I'm almost sorry they were not allowed to sell photos as did Peter and Autumn Phillips. But that's just my curiosity speaking and I actually think that restriction ensured the event stayed very classy.

I wish many years of happiness to Mike and Zara!

I think Zara looked lovely. I didn't notice the arms until I read it on here, and then looked at the close up photos. The only thing I didn't particularly like was the hem on her gown. I think the Greek tiara really suits her style, looks great on Zara. I think Mike looks great.
I really dislike Anne's outfit - what was she thinking! She always seems to go wrong when wearing prints. I wish she would wear her hair differently too, she has had that style forever, and I think she would look younger and much better with something that suited her more.
Autumn was too plain looking in my opinion, and the hat too big for her. A patterned or embroided jacket would have looked lovely.
Lady Sarah has made a big faux pau in wearing that white outfit, that is a big no no in New Zealand at weddings. A small amount of white in an outfit would be acceptable, but what she is wearing is most definitely not!
Sophie looks beautiful, she really is looking much nicer these days. I did read somewhere that she had gotten a stylist in - that would be the best thing she has done!
I liked Catherine's outfit, I think she could have gone a little lighter on the eyeliner. I would have liked to see something other than nude shoes too.
Beatrice's choice of colour is lovely, and suits her, but I don't like the flower applique on the skirt/dress. A bit over the top for my liking.
I'm not a fan of the Queen's outfit, although the colour is nice on her. I always think she looks the same every time I see her - I think it's because she always sticks to the same style dress and jacket.
I agree with whomever said Eugeine's outfit was too tight, otherwise a nice choice for her.
Camilla looks nice, but I'm not a fan of the head piece. I think Charles looks good in his lighter coloured suit too, it really suits him rather than the darker colours.

Last edited:
I really liked the relaxed nature of this occasion and the kirk was such a suitable venue for it. It looked like a really happy event for everyone involved, and I like the couple's attitude of we're in love, let's get married, have fun and get back to our business on Monday. I can only imagine the kind of "knees-up" reception going on at Holyrood House after the Queen and older royals have departed.

- I'm going to rush out and buy some nude stillettos.

I've seen the nude heel trend for 3 years now but I've never seen so many ladies wear them at one function! Even Her Majesty wore nude shoes but it's not just the royal ladies, the guests did as well. Didn't see any Christian L. red soles though.

This is the most hideous gown I've seen in quite a while, when someone in royal circles marry. I'm sorry, but it looks cheap and made in a hurry this dress. Didn't they have enough fabric, and had to sew on a piece of another fabric at the bottom?

Well she never really came off as a woman with a sense of fashion, so wearing a dreadful dress like this on her wedding day doesn't really surprise me.

The woman is pretty though, but this dress doesn't do anything for her. It actually makes her look fat, and she is not fat. She has got good skin and come across as a radiant and strong woman.

The flowers vere ok, but the frosty look on some of them would have been better for a bride in winter than in mid summer.

When thinking about it, I had a night gown once that looked similar to this. Some shiny fabric at the bottom, and see through straps over the shoulders.

Well it is just a dress. :flowers:

She's not a model or an actress. She's a trained and toned athlete. This is what her arms look like- why should she have to hide them?

I agree. I think it is sad the way that some people are not just being critical of her dress, but of Zara's body as well. Maybe it would be better if she looked anorexic--then she wouldn't look "fat" at all. She just looks like a real woman instead of anorexic. Unfortunately, that looks "fat" to some people because we've gotten use to women looking anorexic.

In correct English form she would actually be Mrs. Mike Tindall (only Mrs. Zara Tindall in case of a divorce).

In that respect, Autumn Phillips is not correct either - in correct form she is Mrs. Peter Phillips. And yes, I used the first name in one of my posts so I was not using the correct usage :p

Is this correct- I mean, if she filled out her name on a form, would she write Mrs. Michael Tindall? She might be Mrs. Michael Tindall for the purposes of invitations, etc., but her name would be Mrs. Zara Tindall, I believe.

Maybe it was the designer's idea of embellishment to have a hem that was of another material than the rest of the gown, but I'd have preferred to see a scalloped edging rather than that distracting shiny fabric. It doesn't look good at all and that connecting seam also looks unfinished.

I've seen the nude heel trend for 3 years now but I've never seen so many ladies wear them at one function! Even Her Majesty wore nude shoes but it's not just the royal ladies, the guests did as well. Didn't see any Christian L. red soles though.

I somewhat long for the trend when ladies wore accessories matching the color of their outfits, or at least in a complementary color. The style seems to veer away from that. Case in point: I'd have liked to see Princess Anne in accessories matching the color of her dress rather than the nude color. It looked too bland against the richness of her dress and seemed out of balance, IMO.

Having read everyone's views here I will add my two cents worth:

Zara - loved the dress as it was just so much like I would expect Zara to wear - something no one else would expect. At first I thought she should have had more coverage over the top but then I had another couple of looks and it comes across as a lovely dress and it suits her. The bouquet was also a great one and so typical of royal bouquets with the all white and I am sure there will be the traditional myrtle that has been in the British royal bouquets since 1840 (Kate had some in her bouquet as well). The tiara was a wonderful choice and a great acknowledgement of her grandfather and his influence in her, and her mother's lives. Having actually seen this tiara in 2002 when it was on display at the Victoria and Albert museum as part of the Golden Jubilee displays and it is delicate looking.

The Queen - a usual straightforward single colour ensemble - it looks like the Queen's standard wedding 'uniform'. She does tend to wear the same style in just different colours to these sorts of events.

Camilla - another 'uniform' outfit - she also wears this style to weddings and similar events so nothing surprising here and I loved her hat as again it is the style she wears a lot of the time - and it is her style - distinctive and could even be named 'the Camilla look'

Catherine - bland as usual and the hat designed to be over the top and to guarantee that she gets more exposure than she should on this day (e.g. CNN have just done a 30 sec talk over a series of photos from the wedding - two images of Zara and Mike and then about 10 of Kate) - a smaller hat would have been more appropriate - I can't think of anything she has worn that says 'wow' - they are all bland but that suits her blandness and her husband as well

Beatrice - got it right - not surprising seeing as it was designed by Angela Kelly who dresses the Queen - evidence that the Queen herself possibly has taken a hand in the clothing choices of her granddaughters - maybe after William's wedding Andrew asked for help for his daughters from within his family rather than leaving the guidance to be coming from their mother (although I liked Beatrice outfit at William's wedding if you remove the hat) - loved the colour, the hat was more appropriate for this occasion - top marks from me

Eugenie - another improvement since April and I loved the bow - on a 21 year old - but if she tried it in 10 years it would be awful - suited the occasion and her age and again from Angela Kelly - her choice of colour though could have been better - both girls look best in solid colours rather than blends

Sophie - good as usual - but I wasn't all that fussed with the back - would rate her as making a solid effort this year - she looked good because she is so comfortable in her own skin and her position

Anne - well she was Anne - skirt looked good but that top - if anyone hadn't known who the mother-of-the-bride was they wouldn't guess it from that mishmash of clothes. She can look so good - but again in solid colours - two weddings this year and two huge misses for Anne and unfortunately one of these weddings was her own daughters

Autumn - got it right as the sister-in-law of the bride - looked good and happy and comfortable - loved the colour as well

The bridesmaids and Matron of honour looked a bit washed out but they always do a royal weddings with the colour being white. Why they don't put some colour in them I don't know - but no doubt we will have to wait until Beatrice gets married to see some chance of a bit of colour on bridesmaids but... The actual design for the little girls was fine but for Stephanie and the Matron of Honour I think they should have been longer - they all looked like 'little girl' dresses.

The blokes - ok they were all wearing the same basic suit design - pleasant to look at of course.

Mike - couldn't stop smiling - and his nose is so distinctive - I hope he has a good World Cup but not win it (go Wallabies) but he can be on the loosing side in the final (unlike 2003 when he was on the winning side and won himself a bride)

Philip - gee he looks good for 90

Charles - again looking good - he simply seems to be getting younger these days

William and Harry - happy and ok looking - need to do a double take if William isn't with Kate to check it isn't Edward - he is looking a lot older than 29 - looking closer to 40 than 30 (as does his wife actually) - Harry looked like he wanted to break into some sort of larrikanism but couldn't with the minister looking on

Andrew - so pleased to hear the cheers when he got out of the car - looks like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders - his trip to Canada and giving up Trade role have taken years off him and made him look happy - unlike April

Edward - as usual looks good - and as a happy husband why shouldn't he?

Peter and Tim - hardly noticed them

Mark Philips - nice to see him and he looked good - but his looks have deserted him a bit over the years - he looked so much like the proud father of course and it was also good to see him with Anne at the end - well he was with Mike's mother and Anne with Mike's father but the four of them together seemed comfortable together.

Is this correct- I mean, if she filled out her name on a form, would she write Mrs. Michael Tindall? She might be Mrs. Michael Tindall for the purposes of invitations, etc., but her name would be Mrs. Zara Tindall, I believe.

When she fills in a form they usually have sections for 'title' - Mrs, 'first name' Zara 'surname' Tindall and then previous name - Phillips.

Her official name now is Mrs Micheal Tindall but most people will call her Mrs Zara Tindall because they don't know or want to know the difference in the formal use of names and what they indicate - fine.

Professionally, like a lot of women, she will continue to be known as Zara Phillips.

Next year at Ascot her name badge is likely to be Mrs Michael Tindall and any reference to her in the Court Circular will also be Mrs Michael Tindall - just as Autumn is Mrs Peter Phillips on the royal website etc.

Congratulations to Zara and Mike!!

They looked radiant and so happy today. May they know every happiness in the years to come. :eek:)

I'm on the fence about the Dress. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just doesn't seem to suit Zara all that well. The fact the veil wore her instead of Zara wearing the veil did not help. If the veil had been attached to the back of the tiara, such as w/Kate and other Royal brides, I think the veil would have been far more flattering.

I would have loved to have seen her w/the Fringe, just to keep the Tradition going, but the Meander really did suit and look lovely on Zara.

What I'm still amazed by is how good the York girls looked today. I mean...Were those the same two walking fashion disasters that were at William and Kate's Wedding!?! Beatrice in particular and if I was her, I'd get a formal gown in that colour. It looked beyond amazing on her. I really liked Eugenie too, until I saw the back of the jacket. Still...She's one of the few people in the Public Eye that I've seen look good in deep browns and even w/that unfortunate back, it's still a step up from the last couple of years. For the first time though, the front of the jacket looked good and it's about darned time!!

Thought both Kate and Sophie looked lovely, as did the Queen. HM should wear peach more often. It really brings out the best in her.

What was Anne thinking w/that jacket? Yuck!! Pity, because what was visible of the actual dress looked nice, but that thing she wrapped herself in... :eek:/

Not to mention Camilla's hat/headpiece. It literally looks like five or six birds landed on the framework and then exploded!! Yikes!!

It looks that everyone had a lovely day, but especially the Stars of the Day. Which is as it should be.

Once again, Congratulations to Zara and Mike!!! :eek:)

Zara - loved the dress as it was just so much like I would expect Zara to wear - something no one else would expect... The tiara was a wonderful choice and a great acknowledgement of her grandfather and his influence in her, and her mother's lives.

Catherine - bland as usual and the hat designed to be over the top and to guarantee that she gets more exposure than she should on this day (e.g. CNN have just done a 30 sec talk over a series of photos from the wedding - two images of Zara and Mike and then about 10 of Kate) - a smaller hat would have been more appropriate - I can't think of anything she has worn that says 'wow' - they are all bland but that suits her blandness and her husband as well

Beatrice - got it right

Mike - couldn't stop smiling - and his nose is so distinctive - I hope he has a good World Cup...

William and Harry - happy and ok looking - need to do a double take if William isn't with Kate to check it isn't Edward - he is looking a lot older than 29 - looking closer to 40 than 30 (as does his wife actually) - Harry looked like he wanted to break into some sort of larrikanism but couldn't with the minister looking on

Mark Philips - nice to see him and he looked good - but his looks have deserted him a bit over the years - he looked so much like the proud father of course and it was also good to see him with Anne at the end - well he was with Mike's mother and Anne with Mike's father but the four of them together seemed comfortable together.

:previous: Completely agree with everything said here (especially the notes about Will and Kate :whistling:)

I agree. I think it is sad the way that some people are not just being critical of her dress, but of Zara's body as well. Maybe it would be better if she looked anorexic--then she wouldn't look "fat" at all. She just looks like a real woman instead of anorexic. Unfortunately, that looks "fat" to some people because we've gotten use to women looking anorexic.

Hmmm, that's an interesting comment given the high numbers of obese people in the States and I understand even in the UK. I don't like "anorexic" but at the same time that label is thrown out way too freqently at young women who happen to be slender (and very healthy) and that's not right. Zara's arms are much like mine were at that age (along with the "sturdy" legs.) The only time my arms and legs looked decent was during a time I was going through some emotional turmoil ... unfortunately the rest of me looked like s**t. :lol:

ETA ... gee, wish I could look as bland as Catherine. :)

Last edited:
Zara's dress is a bit too long; it folds over at some points. I don't dislike it but it isn't anything special, either.

And why did someone not tell Mike Tindall to avoid filling his pockets with stuff that would ruin the line of his suit? It looks awful!

Beatrice's outfit was bright but much too busy.
Eugenie, as usual, looked stuffed into her outfit! Why doesn't she buy clothers a size larger? It would help a lot!
Catherine and Sophie looked nice, but have looked better. Camilla was a bit much!

The Queen always looks attractively dressed, but Anne- that jacket was not becoming, to say the least.

Zara - loved the dress as it was just so much like I would expect Zara to wear - something no one else would expect. At first I thought she should have had more coverage over the top but then I had another couple of looks and it comes across as a lovely dress and it suits her. The bouquet was also a great one and so typical of royal bouquets with the all white and I am sure there will be the traditional myrtle that has been in the British royal bouquets since 1840 (Kate had some in her bouquet as well). The tiara was a wonderful choice and a great acknowledgement of her grandfather and his influence in her, and her mother's lives. Having actually seen this tiara in 2002 when it was on display at the Victoria and Albert museum as part of the Golden Jubilee displays and it is delicate looking.

The Queen - a usual straightforward single colour ensemble - it looks like the Queen's standard wedding 'uniform'. She does tend to wear the same style in just different colours to these sorts of events.

Camilla - another 'uniform' outfit - she also wears this style to weddings and similar events so nothing surprising here and I loved her hat as again it is the style she wears a lot of the time - and it is her style - distinctive and could even be named 'the Camilla look'

Beatrice - got it right - not surprising seeing as it was designed by Angela Kelly who dresses the Queen - evidence that the Queen herself possibly has taken a hand in the clothing choices of her granddaughters - maybe after William's wedding Andrew asked for help for his daughters from within his family rather than leaving the guidance to be coming from their mother (although I liked Beatrice outfit at William's wedding if you remove the hat) - loved the colour, the hat was more appropriate for this occasion - top marks from me

Eugenie - another improvement since April and I loved the bow - on a 21 year old - but if she tried it in 10 years it would be awful - suited the occasion and her age and again from Angela Kelly - her choice of colour though could have been better - both girls look best in solid colours rather than blends

Sophie - good as usual - but I wasn't all that fussed with the back - would rate her as making a solid effort this year - she looked good because she is so comfortable in her own skin and her position

Anne - well she was Anne - skirt looked good but that top - if anyone hadn't known who the mother-of-the-bride was they wouldn't guess it from that mishmash of clothes. She can look so good - but again in solid colours - two weddings this year and two huge misses for Anne and unfortunately one of these weddings was her own daughters

Autumn - got it right as the sister-in-law of the bride - looked good and happy and comfortable - loved the colour as well

The bridesmaids and Matron of honour looked a bit washed out but they always do a royal weddings with the colour being white. Why they don't put some colour in them I don't know - but no doubt we will have to wait until Beatrice gets married to see some chance of a bit of colour on bridesmaids but... The actual design for the little girls was fine but for Stephanie and the Matron of Honour I think they should have been longer - they all looked like 'little girl' dresses.

The blokes - ok they were all wearing the same basic suit design - pleasant to look at of course.

Mike - couldn't stop smiling - and his nose is so distinctive - I hope he has a good World Cup but not win it (go Wallabies) but he can be on the loosing side in the final (unlike 2003 when he was on the winning side and won himself a bride)

Philip - gee he looks good for 90

Charles - again looking good - he simply seems to be getting younger these days

Andrew - so pleased to hear the cheers when he got out of the car - looks like the weight of the world has been lifted from his shoulders - his trip to Canada and giving up Trade role have taken years off him and made him look happy - unlike April

Edward - as usual looks good - and as a happy husband why shouldn't he?

William and Catherine blendness should fit well with the rest of the family.
HM herself is not someone I would call flavourish :cool:

Zara's dress is okay, it looks very off the rack, doesn't look custom at all. I think Eugenie was one of the best dressed guests, And that ridiculous guest with the huge orange hat shouldn't of even been invited! There were times when people knew how to dress when attending weddings, unfortunately those times have passed and we see everyone looking ridiculous!

Congratulations to Zara and Mike :flowers:

What a positively beaming couple, and what nice Wedding pictures :)

I wasn't expecting Zara to keep her Maiden name. It makes sense, given her sporting career, but I didn't think it was a very "Royal" thing to do. I guess I was wrong :lol: Good on her for doing what is probably a Royal first.

Back
Top Bottom