The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Well, we definitely all agree about Zara's gown.

No we don't - some people liked it and some loathed it - hardly agreement.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 PM
Heir Apparent

True, but I was actually referring to the other posters with whom I was chatting where we were sharing common opinions. I'll make sure I'll cite them in my post under similar circumstances next time.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Gentry

OK, one thing I haven't seen addressed here is what was hanging on Zara's ears? Looks like Duchess of Cambridge earrings to me....something borrowed perhaps?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarch View Post
OK, one thing I haven't seen addressed here is what was hanging on Zara's ears? Looks like Duchess of Cambridge earrings to me....something borrowed perhaps?
There is a photo further up in the thread showing Anne wearing them when she was younger
Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Hm interesting no sign of the Cambridges this morning. I wonder if they stayed longer then everyone else at the house.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I understand what you meant, Fascinator. Zara did indeed look beautiful and luminous, and no one wants to risk a possible fashion fiasco on their special day even if they're normally imaginative or avant garde in their choices. So, indeed, she did make a good selection. By flair, I was referring to lace or maybe needlework on the dress. But that wasn't her choice; what she did choose emulated her lifestyle and outlook. In the end, nothing could be more important than witnessing her joy and happiness on her wedding day. While the gown might not have been up to many expectations, in the end all that matters is a loving and successful marriage which hopefully Zara and Mike will have. By the look of this couple, it looks like they will.
Why it is assumed so often on this forum that if one dislikes a gown that one must dislike it because it's not cutting edge? That is not always the case, and it's ridiculous to say so. I like Zara's gown, but not on her. It makes her waist look fat and her arms lumpy. It doesn't suit her figure at all. On another bride, it would look elegant, on her it looks matronly.

Have you ever seen "Say Yes to the Dress"? Most the wedding gowns on there are...typical, usual, not statements...but the bride makes the bland, boring dress stand out, become dramatic and amazing, by how well it fits her body type. (Of course, there are brides who get the best of both worlds: the dress that not only suits one's body type but is also a haute couture type gown, but those brides are few and far between.)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Aristocracy

Thanks.
So the Silver Stick in waiting is a body guard to the Queen, I hope he is not too old for the job

I think its funny that the Queens daughter-in-law's ex-husband is so close to the Queen that he probably see's more of her than Camilla!
(due to schedules I mean)

*But its nice to hear he is so well positioned, the Man deserves to be respected IMO
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordeliaFitzgerald View Post
Why it is assumed so often on this forum that if one dislikes a gown that one must dislike it because it's not cutting edge?
I wonder, do you sleep with your boxing gloves on?

If there is a false choice (flattering vs. avant garde) in her posting, it came from me. Baroness was just responding to something I had written:
Yes, the dress could have been more flattering, but I still think she looked absolutely beautiful. In a choice between something avant garde and imaginative vs. a dress that is unquestionably pretty, I think she made the right choice from the moment she picked a designer. She was relaxed and happy and I think that is infinitely more important than making a fashion statement.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Aristocracy

I`m glad for zara and mike...i always think that are a good couple and zara is beautiful!!

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...09453614_n.jpg
Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Hm interesting no sign of the Cambridges this morning. I wonder if they stayed longer then everyone else at the house.
or left earlier ...
Old 08-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarch View Post

My understanding it that the tiara is the something borrowed - from her mother.

The tiara was Princess Alice's wedding gift to the Queen in 1947 and the Queen gave it to Anne in 1972 who lent it to Zara for her wedding.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
or left earlier ...
true true they could have left the Queen's official residence(assuming that's where they were staying) very early in the morning before papz were camped out, since William needs to get back for work.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 AM
Nobility

Wow I just got through reading most of the thread and to me Zara is and has always been beautiful. I really liked this grandiose occasion where I got to see the ethereal. To me Zara is truly royal from my observations and I like her spirit that seems to carry no nonsense and loyalty in appearances. I liked her smile and how her hair, the tiara, and veil added to what is a great wedding ensemble. I loved it and them.

They are married!! That's great! I feel happiness for Mike, Zara and family. Mark Phillips and Princess Anne must be proud. I'm happy for them.

Everyone was attired nicely. Those hats were ethereal and otherworldly. I liked Queen Elizabeth's garment the most. I'm a fan of her choice of wardrobe. She looks great about always and doesn't disappoint. Camilla also looked really nice. The most handsome man was Harry. He is looking more like a real Prince Charming. I hope fun was had by all. May Zara understand that she is a wonder by circumstance and that her blood carry onwards towards regality, loyalty and possibly/hopefully the Olympics. I find her to be favorable in my heart. Bless you your majesty and Cheeeeers!!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall's Wedding: The Bride and Attendants
Old 08-01-2011, 03:46 AM
Courtier

Zara did indeed look lovely. Her hair was beautifully done and the Greek Meander tiara was a complimentary and elegant choice. It looked lovely with the veil. However, the wedding gown was a huge let down. The bodice made her look plump and the gown was badly made. Hardly designer quality at all. However Zara and Mike do make a wonderful couple. Congratulations to them both.

Princess Anne looked lovely, however the collar on her blouse was too large to be elegant, especially from the rear. HM was absolutely beautiful in her shade of pale salmon pink, along with Kate in champagne and Sophie in beige. These were by far the best dressed women. Camilla looked totally aweful. The hat was so unflattering and over the top as usual (like something from a "drag" show) and the "chunky" necklace was not even suitable. All I can say is "poor Charles".
Old 08-01-2011, 04:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Small correction - Stephanie is Zara's half-sister not step-sister.

They have the same father - Mark - but different mothers.
To me, they both mean the same thing, because i've never been told there's a difference.

Wedding belles? Liz Jones on the style hits... and misses | Mail Online
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
To me, they both mean the same thing, because i've never been told there's a difference.

Wedding belles? Liz Jones on the style hits... and misses | Mail Online

A step sibling is where two people with existing children marry so their children become step siblings - e.g. William and Harry are stepbrothers to Camilla's two children, Tom and Laura.

A half sibling is where children have one common parent and one not common parent e.g. Zara and Peter are Stephanie's half-siblings as they all have Mark as a father but different mothers. All three of these people have another half-sister in NZ - Mark's illegitimate daughter, Felicity that he and they have never seen.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to wish them lots of happiness!!!! I'm not too keen on Zara's choices, I thought she would look absolutely ravishing, to my disappointment. Both the wedding dress and the ugly Greek tiara let me down.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm not into tiaras, but the Greek Meander tiara looked just right for Zara to wear.
She did it justice.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Majesty

Regardless of the look of the tiara - and it is gorgeous (it was on display in 2002 at the V&A as part of their display of tiaras as part of the Queen's Jubilee celebrations and I saw it then) it also has personal meaning for Zara.

It was a wedding present to The Queen from her mother-in-law and then the Queen gave that tiara to Anne in 1972 - so Anne got her grandmother's tiara and has loaned it to Zara - a lovely family piece.

Tags
mike tindall, wedding, zara phillips