The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britters View Post
I did indeed mean kilt. I was updating from my phone. OOPS!!
I'm almost disappointed! I was having an amazing vision of Charles arriving dressed in bedlinen...which would have gone well with his sister's bedjacket!

Actually, I think Anne's rather oddly shaped jacket would have looked ok if she'd balanced it with a proper Mother of the Bride HAT instead of that very small fascinator. She wore some nice hats at Royal Ascot this year, so why go all hat-phobic now, on her daughter's wedding day!?

Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Probably because the Royals don't want to look like royals - at an event where most of the guests are not Royals.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Commoner

But for most Mothers of the Bride, their daughters' wedding is the day when they CAN look royal, whether they are or not. The MotB is usually the most splendidly dressed, second only to the bride - I know that's not Anne's style, but I find it hard to imagine she was consciously trying to downplay the 'royal' look - bit pointless if she was, with the rest of the family going overboard on mad millinery!
I just think that outfit would have worked a lot better with a proper hat - the jacket would have looked less overpowering.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath View Post
But for most Mothers of the Bride, their daughters' wedding is the day when they CAN look royal, whether they are or not. The MotB is usually the most splendidly dressed, second only to the bride - I know that's not Anne's style, but I find it hard to imagine she was consciously trying to downplay the 'royal' look - bit pointless if she was, with the rest of the family going overboard on mad millinery!
I just think that outfit would have worked a lot better with a proper hat - the jacket would have looked less overpowering.
I definitely agree with everything you've said! It would also be nice if Anne started experimenting with a new hairstyle, but that might be too much change for her.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Not rude, because there are many other young girls in Zara and Mike's circle of relatives and friends, who would dream to fill this honour.
It's good that their chance has come.
Rude to me.
The only other girls other than Louise, in the relative section, would be the two Taylor girls - who Zara clearly doesn't know very well as their mother wasn't even at the wedding. I was quite dissapointed that 'family' wasn't really represented in the bridal party.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Gentry

I wish Anne would give it up and realize that prints just don't work for something like this. The closest you can get is a subtle brocade or patterned weave, I think. Her purple print outfit at the Cambridges' wedding in April was hideous, too.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Well I think its nice that Stephanie was a bridesmaid in both of her siblings weddings.

I must admit that I am perplexed by the suggestion that Catherine was "courting" attention, worn a different (cause wearing an outfit that is five years old is not low key enough) or she should have gone in the side door or not attended the wedding as if she wasn't a member of the family so not steal Zara's thunder. Trust me...if Catherine didn't show up or did the side door number....people would be talking about that...who does she think she is.....the weddings isn't about her, etc. Which goes to show once again, that some people can't win no matter what they do.

Zara was the star of the show not doubt about that. The US print press that talked about the wedding led off with Zara Phillips, Queen's Granddaughter Weds, it wasn't about Catherine.

I loved Zara's makeup and tiara...the dress was okay...I think the straps could have used a bit more fabric....but I liked the look she was going for. The veil was beautiful.

I didn't care for Anne's jacket, but I liked the skirt. I also thought everyone else looked lovely. A bit surprised not to see the Linley's and thought it was a shame that Lady Sarah Chatto's children weren't a part of the ceremony. It would be a fitting tradition....Anne was bridesmaid to Margaret.....Sarah was a bridesmaid to Anne....and Zara was a bridesmaid to Sarah. Oh well

Old 07-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Heir Apparent

It seems Catherine just can't win; she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't, as the saying goes.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:34 AM
Administrator

A quick article about the history of the tiara worn by Zara.

----------------------------

Zara kept up the wedding tradition of having something borrowed by earing a spectacular diamond tiara that has been passed down through four generations of the Royal Family - and was last worn by her mother two months ago.
The bride's short silk veil was set off by the Meander tiara, once owned by Prince Philip's mother and loaned to Zara by Princess Anne, who wore it in May for a state banquet at Buckingham Palace to welcome President Obama and his wife Michele.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Commoner

More pictures.

Pictures - The wedding of Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall - National British Royal Family | Examiner.com
Old 07-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Gentry

What a wonderful couple... they just radiate happiness. There is a beautiful photo of Zara sitting in the car after the wedding on the Daily Mail website and she looks amazing. The tiara in paticular is stunning on her.

Now......I have to say what a lot of others have said. I did not like the dress at all. There was absolutely no wow factor to it. She needed something more elegant and COVERED, and the hem for want of a better word at the end was awful.. looked like shiny glossy cheap material.

Somewhere out there in the blue yonder, there exists a shop that no one else in the world knows about or has ever visited. A shop whose location is so secret, it would take Dan Brown and the best cryptographers in the world to code break the location. It is there ..... that Anne buys her outfits....!!!! The End.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

White at a wedding for the bride depends on the culture. Increasingly I see people wearing white to weddings so it seems that the tradition is changing.
True but I like the other poster still find white to a wedding a faux paus and against the etiquette of the event.....

That being said Lady Chatto did look nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

White is clearly not reserved for the bride as for two british weddings this year we've seen the bridesmaids and flowergirls in white.
if it's the brides decision for wedding party members to wear white find but etiquette dictates no white for guests but as had been pointed out many no longer follow this...plus in US at least you rarely see bridesmaid/flower girls in white...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-after.html

Zara looks lovely here and a nice wedding shot too!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Rude to me.
The only other girls other than Louise, in the relative section, would be the two Taylor girls - who Zara clearly doesn't know very well as their mother wasn't even at the wedding. I was quite dissapointed that 'family' wasn't really represented in the bridal party.
But there are cousins of Mike, cousins of Zara from her father's side, goddaughters, daughters of friends....plenty possibilities.
When Netty Leistra describes this wedding on her site (Netty's Royalty Page) we will know who these girls were.
I said nothing offensive to you personally; I just expressed my opinion.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Serene Highness

My first impression yesterday of Zara's dress was that it was really plain, but in recent pictures I have seen with better lighting, I think its very pretty and suited well for her. I can't picture her in anything too fussy. And I guess as long as she was happy with it, thats all that matters.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Garnett View Post
Somewhere out there in the blue yonder, there exists a shop that no one else in the world knows about or has ever visited. A shop whose location is so secret, it would take Dan Brown and the best cryptographers in the world to code break the location. It is there ..... that Anne buys her outfits....!!!! The End.

( Personally I find Anne's fashion choices!? to be somewhat endearing.
One news item described Anne's jacket as looking vintage... and then added that, knowing Anne, it very well may have been vintage!)
Old 07-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Royal Highness

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...vory-silk.html

The way the dress is described here makes it sound lovlier then it is IMO but the real funny thing is, was it dress code everyone had to wear nude shoes? I adore and love nude shoes (they're my obsession) but wow! almost every guest ( or at least the ones featured here) :)
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyals View Post
Kate spots the photographer Chris Jackson of Getty Images and points it out to William. (Chris admitted to it himself on Twitter). Not given official access to the church, the media hired a cafe opposite the church and were presumably snapping away from the balcony.

I should say Chris Jackson isn't new to WK. He took the exclusive "official Canada tour" photo (the ones of them in navy) of the couple and was also the only photographer on the tarmac as they departed LA.
Thank you . Makes sense of course.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
if it's the brides decision for wedding party members to wear white find but etiquette dictates no white for guests but as had been pointed out many no longer follow this...plus in US at least you rarely see bridesmaid/flower girls in white...
My comment, was that white is not just for the bride. Even if it's the choice of the bride to put in her bridal party in white, that still means white is not 'reserved' for the bride. I think it's a greater faux pas to wear black to a wedding than white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
But there are cousins of Mike, cousins of Zara from her father's side, goddaughters, daughters of friends....plenty possibilities.
When Netty Leistra describes this wedding on her site (Netty's Royalty Page) we will know who these girls were.
I said nothing offensive to you personally; I just expressed my opinion.
I know who the members of the bridal party were thank you;

Bridesmaid - Stephanie Phillips (stepsister), Nell Maude (daughter of the moh), Jaz Jocelyn (haven't the foggiest), Hope Balshaw (daughter of the best man).
Page boy - Ted Maude (son of the moh).

There were no cousins of Mike in the party, nor cousins of Zara's from her fathers side. It was just sons and daughter of relatives. Which is clearly what Zara wanted to disassociate herself as far away from royalty as possible.

I'll repeat, I was sorry to see the lack of family in the bridal party.
Oh and that site you linked, gives no information about Zara's wedding, just simply the date.
Your opinion, to me, was rude. End of.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Royal Highness

Round up of the guests-

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/...s-and.html?m=1
Old 07-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I do agree with the "Most in Need of Rule breaking".

Tags
mike tindall, wedding, zara phillips