The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember this wedding well. Even then it didn't feel like a romance or a true love match. But for over the top, magnificent regal spectacle the Wales wedding could not be matched.

Diana was magic. She wasn't the most beautiful woman, the most brilliant...but there was something about her that one struggles to convey now to those who weren't there. She had IT, period. Watching old video of the way this product of hundreds of years of English aristocracy could connect with everyone on their own level is just amazing.

She and Charles were not meant to be, but at their best they were a very good team when they needed to be.

I remember this wedding well. Even then it didn't feel like a romance or a true love match. But for over the top, magnificent regal spectacle the Wales wedding could not be matched.

Diana was magic. She wasn't the most beautiful woman, the most brilliant...but there was something about her that one struggles to convey now to those who weren't there. She had IT, period. Watching old video of the way this product of hundreds of years of English aristocracy could connect with everyone on their own level is just amazing.

She and Charles were not meant to be, but at their best they were a very good team when they needed to be.

Thank you! You summed up what I was trying to say!

:previous: Well, of course he must have loved her as the mothet of his children and as a ex wife but he was and always will be in love with Camilla.

You know, for many of us, our interest in the Royals began w/that magical day 33 years ago today. We are more than well aware of what happened afterwards, but that day was so full of hope, magic and happiness. We choose to remember and celebrate that.

We get your feelings on the subject. Now kindly give it a rest.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Very well put, indeed :flowers:

I agree, Moonmaiden. As time went on, I became more cynical about the lady. But as they say, a cynic is a disappointed idealist. She did seem ideal.

Diana was magic. She wasn't the most beautiful woman, the most brilliant...but there was something about her that one struggles to convey now to those who weren't there. She had IT, period.

Mermaid, I know exactly what you mean. I am a "disappointed idealist" about lots of people as well.

But all I have to do is go to youtube and watch her, and once again I am struck by the Diana effect. She was really amazing. There are several Royal ladies today who I think are fantastic, but it's just not the same. I miss her!:sad:

I have read that at the Prince's office there still is a portrait of Diana and still every day a fresh rose is laid before it. I believe it was in Dimbleby's book or in that one about Highgrove.

I thought the marriage was doomed from the start.
Didn't bother to watch the wedding.

I was never caught up in the Di-mania.

Never liked the woman and thought she wasn't good enough for Charles so IMO the wedding was just a waste of broadcast time.

For me, it's all those things, Mermaid, and always the little girl in me loves the fairytale part. It just looked such a fairytale, even though I know it wasn't. Diana, especially, in my little girl's mind, was the fairytale Princess on that day. I still love to look at photos, or watch my mom's video of it now and then, to feel that " here is the stuff of which fairytales are made."
I still adore Diana, but now I have to say for me the true fairytale couple is William and Kate. They are real people too, which I love, but they have true love like in fairytales.
I was thinking about this, if this was a book, it would be like this, Fairytale romance and Wedding, Prince Takes a lover, Princess and Prince Suffer, Princess Great humanitarian, End of Marriage, Princess Dies. What kind of story is that? What would have been the ending- in particular, for the princess? What was the point of it even happening? So Diana could change the world? William and Harry? But I am glad it happened.

@ Blog Real- I wonder how he thinks of it too? The wedding I mean. Not at all? Or how I hope he thinks of it, as Osipi said, all the good times. As she said, part of love is letting go.

Lol, I think the idea is to not get caught up in fairy tales but to realize that whether royal or not, marriages aren't perfect and they have to be worked at. I always wish couples the best and pray for them.

Charles & Diana's marriage was made into a fairy tale by the people and I think that was the wrong thing to do from the beginning. They loved each other but it just didn't work out. I enjoyed their team work though and the love they shared gave us William & Harry. I think Charles & Diana would've gone on to do some great things had they stayed together. With Charles's Princes Trust and Diana's work with cancer, landmines, aids and other causes, they would've provided one powerful couple in the "Firm."

You know, for many of us, our interest in the Royals began w/that magical day 33 years ago today. We are more than well aware of what happened afterwards, but that day was so full of hope, magic and happiness. We choose to remember and celebrate that.

I was just aswering, there is not need to be so agrressive! Beside I shared my view of th wedding too!

Exactly. ITA

I was just aswering, there is not need to be so agrressive! Beside I shared my view of th wedding too!

One of the most aggressive posters on this site telling anyone else not to be aggressive towards him is just...Well...Hmmm...

ROTFLOL!!!

Thanks for the badly needed belly laugh, even though that was not your intent. :D :D :D

I thought the marriage was doomed from the start.
Didn't bother to watch the wedding.

I was never caught up in the Di-mania.

Never liked the woman and thought she wasn't good enough for Charles so IMO the wedding was just a waste of broadcast time.

I, too, thought the marriage was doomed, but I did watch the wedding. In fact I recorded it, though goodness knows what state the videotape is in now! It's probably rotted away, much like the marriage, though I suspect it lasted considerably longer than the marriage. I recorded it because I had been interested in Charles and his family all my life, and the wedding was a piece of Royal history. I recorded Andrew and Fergie's wedding, too, and Diana's funeral.

I was never caught up in Di-mania either but it wasn't that I didn't think she was good enough for Charles. On paper she was perfect for him. In those early days I don't think I had come to actively dislike her yet; I just didn't warm to her. She looked and seemed silly to me, and I didn't think Charles would be happy with a silly young thing like that.

One of the most aggressive posters on this site telling anyone else not to be aggressive towards him is just...Well...Hmmm...

ROTFLOL!!!

Thanks for the badly needed belly laugh, even though that was not your intent. :D :D :D

:ohmy: What? Am I the most aggressive poster on this site?:ohmy: I didn't understan the belly thing:ermm:

That is the most surprising thing in the whole Charles & Diana match indeed. On paper perfect (both blue blood, etc.) but the ages, characters and interests could not be more different than between these two. Earlier girlfriends as Davina Sheffield, Lady Jane Wellesley and Lady Sarah Spencer (!) seemed so much more a match.

That is the most surprising thing in the whole Charles & Diana match indeed. On paper perfect (both blue blood, etc.) but the ages, characters and interests could not be more different than between these two. Earlier girlfriends as Davina Sheffield, Lady Jane Wellesley and Lady Sarah Spencer (!) seemed so much more a match.

That's the way I saw it, too. And it seems we were right, which is a shame, really. I sincerely wish we had been wrong, and that Charles and Diana had been able to make it work. The way it turned out didn't do the Royal Family or the institution of the monarchy any good, and the fallout is still causing damage because I think that William was scarred by what happened because of the way his mother involved the children in her battles and I think that the consequences of those decisions on her part have yet to be fully realised.

That's the way I saw it, too. And it seems we were right, which is a shame, really. I sincerely wish we had been wrong, and that Charles and Diana had been able to make it work. The way it turned out didn't do the Royal Family or the institution of the monarchy any good, and the fallout is still causing damage because I think that William was scarred by what happened because of the way his mother involved the children in her battles and I think that the consequences of those decisions on her part have yet to be fully realised.

I just posted because I wanted to remember Charles & Diana's wedding that took place 33 years ago.

I think the conversation is about to get out of hand now because I see the blame game a starting and on a unfair path. Yes, it's sad that the marriage didn't work out and both parties were hurt and did unfair things. The monarchy's image was hit pretty hard but they've been through a lot worse and stood the test of time. Also, the monarchy and it's members has never been perfect and a great deal of the royals (both past and present) have done some terrible things that would have you running out the door screaming and crying to the Tower of London.

Yes, Charles & Diana's troubles played out in the modern media of the day but the did things they did was pretty much very small potatoes compared to the royals of the past. That family and many other royal families has always had some sort of drama going on.

Last edited:

Mermaid, I know exactly what you mean. I am a "disappointed idealist" about lots of people as well.

But all I have to do is go to youtube and watch her, and once again I am struck by the Diana effect. She was really amazing. There are several Royal ladies today who I think are fantastic, but it's just not the same. I miss her!:sad:

I have read that at the Prince's office there still is a portrait of Diana and still every day a fresh rose is laid before it. I believe it was in Dimbleby's book or in that one about Highgrove.
Heck I wasn't even born yet, and that wedding is what sparked my interest!
@ Moonmaiden- I miss her too!
@ Duc- I hadn't read that! If that's true, that is really sweet!

Yeah, I heard that Charles still have portraits of Diana up in his homes and I know for certain that he wore his wedding band from his marriage to Diana all the way up until he became officially engaged to Camilla. There's pictures of that, BTW. That love and affection never died.

^ Really? I must have missed that. Could you post a picture of him wearing the band from his first marriage after the divorce, because i dont remember this at all? Thanks! I also have a hard time believing he has a fresh rose laid before her portrait.

^ Really? I must have missed that. Could you post a picture of him wearing the band from his first marriage after the divorce, because i dont remember this at all? Thanks! I also have a hard time believing he has a fresh rose laid before her portrait.

Pictures: Charles's Wedding Band- 2004
BRITAIN'S PRINCE CHARLES WAVES AS HE ARRIVES AT MADRID'S TORREJON AIRBASE FOR SPANISH ROYAL WEDDING - DWF15-726695 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

BRITAIN'S PRINCE CHARLES WAVES AS HE ARRIVES AT THE HEREFORD HAVEN BREAST CANCER CENTRE IN HEREFORD - DWF15-532484 - Rights Managed - Stock Photo - Corbis

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...rs-food-importers-at-the-news-photo/158086337

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...and-the-sultan-of-brunei-news-photo/158082850

I thought everyone knew that Charles made sure to wear his wedding band from his first marriage to Diana just behind his signet ring until he announced his engagement to Camilla and then he took his band off.

Last edited:
I thought everyone knew that Charles made sure to wear his wedding band from his first marriage to Diana just behind his signet ring until he announced his engagement to Camilla and then he took his band off.

I distinctly remember hearing quite a few times that he did wear his wedding band by his signet ring until his engagement to Camilla too.

Thanks for posting the pictures Dman. The two rings are very easy to see in them.

Now... the portrait and the rose thing I find a bit over the top and would really doubt the credibility of that report. Perhaps there was a portrait of her elsewhere where the boys would have lived with Charles though. I very much doubt that Charles would do any less than be supportive for his sons and and that he would encourage fond memories of their mother.

I distinctly remember hearing quite a few times that he did wear his wedding band by his signet ring until his engagement to Camilla too.

Thanks for posting the pictures Dman. The two rings are very easy to see in them.

Now... the portrait and the rose thing I find a bit over the top and would really doubt the credibility of that report. Perhaps there was a portrait of her elsewhere where the boys would have lived with Charles though. I very much doubt that Charles would do any less than be supportive for his sons and and that he would encourage fond memories of their mother.

Yeah, now he wears his wedding band from his marriage to Camilla behind his signet ring. I just thought it was nice and tribute to Diana that despite everything and even her death, he never went without his band until he officially moved on.

. . . . .
@ Duc- I hadn't read that! If that's true, that is really sweet!
Wow, OTT doesn't begin to cover it! Fresh roses? I think someone was writing yet another fairytale. That there are portraits of Diana around the various residences is not surprising as she was his wife and the mother of his children. To create fantasies about little "altar's" is really tipping into the twilight zone. :wacko:

It may be OTT, but it it is still sweet IMO.
I doubt it is. I had read that Charles kept no photos of Diana in his home after the divorce- I don't believe that because of W and H.

It may be OTT, but it it is still sweet IMO.
I doubt it is. I had read that Charles kept no photos of Diana in his home after the divorce- I don't believe that because of W and H.

I DO believe that because of W and H. The whole period must have been hell for everyone. If the Prince of Wales needs a portrait of Diana, he can always go to the National Portrait Gallery. In the meantime, I am sure her sons have their own personal portraits of their mother tucked safely away inside their hearts, minds and apartments.:flowers:

I think when people say that there are pictures of Diana in Charles's homes. It may be of her/him and the boys together. Charles commissioned a portrait of Diana in her wedding dress. I'm sure there family pictures up at home. William and Harry has said they all talk about her all of the time too.

Last edited:
That makes sense. And we know we can trust W and H.

I'd be surprised if the Prince of Wales had pictures of Diana in his homes, immediately after the divorce. How many divorcees [no matter how saintly] want images of the ex hanging around [particularly after an EXTREMELY acrimonious split ?]. No doubt the children had her image around in their own rooms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom