The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The train was too long- and the gown cost 10,000 pounds I think in those days-It was a romatic gown for royalty and Diana had the charm to pull it off. It was not well thought out- and later Diana thought out everything- concerning her clothes.
The only thing I disagreed with was the veil hiding her face.No Bride should cover her face ever.
I knew from day one that the marriage was doomed.I just had a presentiment.

I totally disagree with you, Jaya. The train had to be long because anything much shorter would have been dwarfed by the vastness of St Paul's Cathedral. Diana was only 20 when she got married, wasn't she? Therefore the dress had to be romantic enough to appeal to her and yet grand enough to be part of history. The idea behind the veil over the bride's face was to hide her from any evil spirits and/or ex-lovers. After the signing of the registers, Diana's face veil had to be cut off.

As for saying that the marriage was doomed from the start, perhaps such a verdict would only be partly fair as, of course, they had high hopes for their marriage and there were moments of great tenderness and joy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The blusher was very popular during the 80s, maybe because of Diana as her gown definitely set the trend for big, puffy gowns for the rest of the decade. Of course, Diana's gown was made from the finest silks and heirloom lace. Compared to the wedding cake creations the rest of the world had to wear, her gown was exquisitely suited for her image, her personality and her venue. Diana's blusher was probably too opaque and thick in its material, so you couldn't see her face. But I still like a blusher on a bride sometimes (Princess Grace pulled it off well); it gives her an air of mystery.

The first time I saw a bride without a veil was at a royal wedding, I think most British Brides or at least the recent ones wore veils to cover their faces. I think it's nice to walk down the aisle with the face covered but to then pull it back during the vows, but as it was a royal wedding Diana couldn't just pull it back because it would cover the tiara so she had to wait until they got into the deans aisle to get it off. Know I saw an interview somewhere with the Emanuel's where Elizabeth says they didn't cut it off but they made it to it could just be taken off, hmmm I guess I have to look for that video...

I think then you should not say the nose ring is hideous in a Hindu marriage as it is to me anyway- as the veil covering the face reminds me of the Sharia law and I as a feminist dislike it- As for Grace I have no idea what she was thinking and did not like her veiled face- nor did I like Diana's- I think Noor had a healthy approach along with Farah Diba.Letizia in more recent history.In a church and when one enters to marry there are no evil spirits unless invoked. There is a superstition that says as long as the bride's train is her troubles will be- and certainly I am starting to think that Diana had plenty of those-. But if you all liked and still like it fabulous!

I had a veil covering my face for my first and my second weddings, and I was glad for it. Somehow it concealed my face a little during the vows, and when my new husband lifted it to kiss me it was magic!

The blusher was very popular during the 80s, maybe because of Diana as her gown definitely set the trend for big, puffy gowns for the rest of the decade. Of course, Diana's gown was made from the finest silks and heirloom lace. Compared to the wedding cake creations the rest of the world had to wear, her gown was exquisitely suited for her image, her personality and her venue. Diana's blusher was probably too opaque and thick in its material, so you couldn't see her face. But I still like a blusher on a bride sometimes (Princess Grace pulled it off well); it gives her an air of mystery.

It was just the way the blusher was gathered to fit onto the tiara that gave it an impression of being opaque. If you were to have the blusher too transparent, you might as well not bother with it at all.

The first time I saw a bride without a veil was at a royal wedding, I think most British Brides or at least the recent ones wore veils to cover their faces. I think it's nice to walk down the aisle with the face covered but to then pull it back during the vows, but as it was a royal wedding Diana couldn't just pull it back because it would cover the tiara so she had to wait until they got into the deans aisle to get it off. Know I saw an interview somewhere with the Emanuel's where Elizabeth says they didn't cut it off but they made it to it could just be taken off, hmmm I guess I have to look for that video...

I liked it more how Sarah and Sophie had done it. They had the Veil simple over the tiara (which in Sarah's case was covered by a wreath of flowers) and had the Veil thrown back when signing the register and so nothing had to cut out of the Veil.

I liked it more how Sarah and Sophie had done it. They had the Veil simple over the tiara (which in Sarah's case was covered by a wreath of flowers) and had the Veil thrown back when signing the register and so nothing had to cut out of the Veil.

As you can see here Sarah didn't have the veil over her head flower thingy, and here you see that her veil wasn't covering the tiara, leading one to believe it was either cut or take off during the signing of the registers.:flowers:

The Archbishop of Canterbury captured it perfectly with the opening of his remarks during the ceremony when he said "This is the stuff of which fairy tales are made".

Youtube has the entire wedding in eight 10-minute sections beginning with Diana's arrival and procession. arrival and the procession.

Sadly, this was a fairy tale that wouldn't end happily ever after, and it's not hard to see why. Mind you, Diana looked absolutely stunning on her wedding day.

I remember Andrew & Sarah's (I would have been 11 years old) more than Charles & Diana's (I would've been 6 years old). It's possible my mom woke us up to watch it - at least she claims she did.

I woke up early and saw both weddings of Princess Diana and Ferge. I'm a year younger than Diana and 3 years younger than Ferge.

Sadly I didn't get to see either one cause I wasn't born yet but they're two of my favorite royal weddings ever and I'm prob in the minority who actually still likes Diana's dress very much.

I liked both wedding dresses of Princess Diana and Ferge. What I didn't like was the train (much too long). If my memories is correct about 3 or 4 girls and women in the bridal party had to make sure that this train wasn't step on or messed up.

It WAS very 80's. They used to do that sort of thing like Elvis' death. Remember that?
Last time they ran footage all the time was Princess Diana's death. Russo pulled an all nighter on that one.

Dear Russo, do you forget the unending footage of Michael Jackson's death. Enough to drive yoy to tylenol and merlot. (Yes, I am chuckling).

Dear Russo, do you forget the unending footage of Michael Jackson's death. Enough to drive yoy to tylenol and merlot. (Yes, I am chuckling).
How could I have forgotten! *Russo slaps hand to forehead! Gives self headache and runs off to get Tylenol and Merlot* :wine:

:D

Was there a pre-wedding ball/dinner? And are there some pictures available?
I read somewhere that there was a black tie event the night before the wedding, but I'm not sure... Can anyone confirm?
Thank you!

I agree that Diana's dress was the worst of all.Those puffy sleeves and long train were terrible. IMO But the tiara looked lovely and regal.

Thank you for those links. As for Diana's dress in my opinion and I know a few people here feel the same I felt that it was appropriate for the time period but by our standards now it just looks dreadful, though there are also people who didn't like it from the start which is okay cause everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

At the time of the wedding, Diana's dress was beautiful I thought at the time. My sister didn't like it and I was horrified. Many years later I can say that I'm not that wild about the gown, yes, the sleeves are atrocious. In 1981 Diana was 19-20 yr. old and she was the fairy tale princess so a fairy tale dress was in order for her. It was indeed appropriate for the times.

Making of a wedding dress, i'm in awe! My angel wore the most fabulous n' dreamy wedding dress i've seen in my entire life..luv it to the extreme..i was 6 when they got married n' now this topic brought back so many beautiful memories. Diana, she'll always be the one n' only Rose of England!

I think the dress is very pretty, although when I have an actual ceremony (I had a civil wedding) I want to wear a strapless dress I think.

Did any othr royals come to this wedding such as Queen Sofia or King Albert of Beligum

Most of the European Royals attended except the King and Queen of Spain due to the fact that Charles and Diana were going to visit Gilbraltar on their honeymoon which has been a sore point between England and Spain for many years. I don't think any of the Lichtenstein Royals attended, but I can't be sure. If someone else can add to my info, please feel free and correct me if I'm wrong.:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom