The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think, I missed this picture here:

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

It's the official group photograph of the entire family with other royal guests. Does someone have this picture in a better quality maybe? :flowers:
I only ask because I find it very hard to identify someone in this picture.

The guests on this picture (you can also read it below the picture in the link...): The Royal Wedding Group in the Throne Room at Buckingham Palace on 29th July 1981 with the bride and groom, TRH The Prince and The Princess of Wales, in the centre. Front row (left to right) Mr Edward van Cutsem, The Earl of Ulster, Miss Catherine Cameron, Miss Clementine Hambro, Miss Sarah-Jane Gaselee, Lord Nicholas Windsor. Second row (left to right) King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia of Sweden, King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of Belgium, HRH The Princess Margaret, HRH The Princess Anne, HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother, HM The Queen, Miss India Hicks, Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, The Hon Mrs Frances Shand Kydd, The Earl Spencer, Lady Sarah McCorquodale, Mr Neil McCorquodale, Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands, Lady Helen Windsor, Grand Duke Jean and Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg. Third Row (left to right) Prince Henrik of Denmark, Queen Margrethe of Denmark, King Olav of Norway, Mr James Ogilvy and Miss Marina Ogilvy, Captain Mark Phillips, The Hon Angus Ogilvy, HRH Princess Alexandra, HRH The Prince Andrew, Viscount Linley, The Duchess of Gloucester, HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, HRH The Duke of Gloucester, HRH The Prince Edward, HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, HRH The Princess of Wales, HRH The Duke of Kent (behind Lady Fermoy), The Earl of St Andrews (behind HRH The Prince of Wales), HRH The Duchess of Kent, Lady Jane Fellowes, (behind her, Viscount Althorp), Mr Robert Fellowes, HRH Prince Michael of Kent, HRH Princess Michael of Kent, Princess Grace of Monaco, Prince Albert, hereditary Prince of Monaco, (immediately below him, Prince Claus of the Netherlands, Princess Gina and Prince Franz Josef of Liechtenstein.

What an amazing gathering of dignitaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
The first picture where I can see Princess Michael of Kent. Are there no good pictures of her from the wedding? Anyone?

Yes Diana's dress was a monstrosity. It was absolutely hideous and crushed so badly - as anyone who knew anything about material and coaches would have known it would do.

Well wasn't her dress a good representation of the 80's? I thought it was pretty but I wouldn't wear it. And don't we expect such grand dresses from the women who marry into royal families?

It was the 80s personified, yes. Over the top, frilly, full of flounces and fabric. I wouldn't wear it either since I'm much more of a classical lines kind of gal, but I thought it looked good on her at the time that she wore it. If a bride this year wore a dress that looked exactly like that one, it would look horrible because that style is no longer en vogue. I do think a different fabric should have been used or at least a different mode of transportation because it did get crushed and wrinkled....but you can't always plan for/avoid those things.

It definately fit the time and it had such a fairytale princess look to it, so it fit the expectations of the time as well. I remember that photo of Diana swathed in all of the material from her veil and she had such a dreamy look to her.
I don't think Chelsy would wear such a gown. I can't picture her in something like that. In fact I think both William and Harry's brides would stay away from wearing anything that looked like Diana's dress just to avoid the comparisons.

Yes, definitely. Other than the wrinkling, which wasn't so noticeable later in the morning, the dress was perfect for the time and the occasion. Diana was very feminine in her wardrobe, and the wedding dress was consistent with that. Plus it had historical significance, with the nods to Queen Victoria's dress and the use of Queen Mary's lace.:flowers:

I remember seeing Diana's wedding dress many many years ago when it was on display. I remember thinking that had I been standing outside a bridal shop and glanced in and saw this on display, I would not have given it a second look, in fact I would have thought it was nothing at all to write home about, when seeing it up close. On the day itself, I am afraid I did not like it at all on her. For a girl who on virtually every occasion after that day appeared immaculately dressed, to me, her wedding day was her one big disaster. The dress was a huge mass of creases, and over the top frills and bows and her hair was hanging lank and ... well.... it looked like it needed a wash, thats the only way to put it.

Ironically enough Sarah Ferguson seemed to do it in reverse to Diana. On her wedding day she looked absolutely stunning, one of the nicest royal wedding dresses I have ever seen and she just looked a million dollars from head to toe. Sadly ... each and every single day after that.....she looked like something the cat dragged in.

I think Kate Middleton, (should the day ever come !!) will look amazing, she has that willowy figure and good height to carry off anything.

The article didn't have anything new about the wedding dress. The only thing it didn't say was the Diana, Princess of Wales years later thought the dress was over the top.
She would have like a more sophisticated look and not so girlish.:flowers:

Yes but that was 1981, wasn't it? She was only 20 when she got married and in the early 1980s, big frills were in fashion.

The designers had to take into account who was going to wear that dress and where.

My very first post here after 6 years of being a member. :)

Just wanted to say that Princess Diana's wedding is one of my most fondest memories of childhood ~ me & my elder sister stayed up all night & day watching it on our family's television set that magical summer of 1981 ~ I was 14 yrs. old at the time, my big sister 18. And the magic hasn't left either one of us 19 yrs. later.

It truly was a fairytale come to life! The moment, the young blushing virginal bride, the fairytale dress, the magical Cinderella coach, the crowd, the opulence, the grandeur. There will never be another moment like that in my lifetime, unfortunately, though I wish with all my heart it will happen again. *crossing fingers*

Princess Diana's wedding is truly what dreams are made of...

This might be a weird question and not really related to the wedding but I noticed from the menu that they had supreme de volaille Princesse de Galles which was chicken breast stuffed with lamb mousse. Just wondering I'd never even heard of lamb mousse let alone what it looks like so I was wondering is it common to have lamb mousse in Britain or is it something the royals have cause I've never seen it on a menu here. I tried looking it up but almost nothing came up.

This might be a weird question and not really related to the wedding but I noticed from the menu that they had supreme de volaille Princesse de Galles which was chicken breast stuffed with lamb mousse. Just wondering I'd never even heard of lamb mousse let alone what it looks like so I was wondering is it common to have lamb mousse in Britain or is it something the royals have cause I've never seen it on a menu here. I tried looking it up but almost nothing came up.

Actually, it's a good question and wedding food is very much related to weddings! Personally, I've never heard of lamb mousse before and it's certainly something i would have thought would be common here in Britain. It does sound as if it's more of a French cuisine dish. I do like salmon mousse wrapped in smoked slamon, but mousses made from meat do indeed sound vile.

I've heard of Lamb Mousse, but it doesn't look particularly appetising. Plus I didn't think matching white meat with red meat, even if it was in a mousse together.
Well royals do things differently.

Re Diana's dress

the Emanuel's said themselves that they had practiced getting Diana into the coach wearing a toile, or mock up of the finished thing, but they failed to take into account the fact that her father was such a big man. I believed they were horrified when she steped out of the coach at St Pauls and saw how much the dress had creased.:)

Yes, that was a pity about all those creases but luckily they dropped out fairly quickly. The Emanuels also thought that, strangely, the dress's imperfections made it all the more beautiful.

Just watched the whole footage of the wedding a week before its 29th anniversary. It brought back some wonderful memories of watching it with my mum when I was 7.

I remember watching it. It was my wedding i actually saw, ever. When my king married Silvia i slept according to my parents. In one of the preweddingshows for Victoria they showed a documentury about the wedding and the cermony. I feel ashamed to admitt that i thought it was hillarious when the priest said that they should be fatefull to eachother. But as i watched the photos i also see something else. Diana looked in love, Charles didnt.

Do You Remember

hope this in the right spot.

for those of us that remember, it was 29 years ago today that charles and diana married. although it didn't turn out so great....i still remember waking up to watch it and how stunning she looked. it was so very "80's".

I got up early (1:00am here on the West Coast of Canada) with my mother and my grandmother, who was visiting. We sat in our pyjamas, drinking tea and eating cream cake with fruit we had prepared the day before. Right before Diana went into St. Paul's Cathedral, my grandmother ran and got 3 of my mother's fancy hats (that she wore to weddings etc.), exclaiming that we could not attend this wedding without putting on a hat!

While we all criticize Diana's dress and call it a meringue now, I remember at the time how breathtakingly romantic and lovely we thought it was. She was this beautiful English girl next door who had captured the heart of a prince- or so we thought. Her dress really played up the romanticism of the story and I remember how completely enchanted we were with her. The Archbishop of Canterbury captured it perfectly with the opening of his remarks during the ceremony when he said "This is the stuff of which fairy tales are made".

Youtube has the entire wedding in eight 10-minute sections beginning with Diana's arrival and procession. arrival and the procession.

Thanks to all for the pictures and videos. Lord, it does seem like the wedding took place just a few days ago instead of 29 yrs. ago.

Back
Top Bottom