The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Look how young everyone looks! Is that the Duchess of Gloucester next to Princess Alice. Princess Anne...playing with the horses of course :)

Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Nobility

Yes, Anne can't resist, despite being all dolled up! And that is Birgitte.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Nobility

In retrospect, Diana's silk "poofy" dream of a dress helped to camoflauge her anorexia. Knowing what we know now, I look at the wedding with a great deal of pathos.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I realise the time period. But I remember my grandmother saying that when Diana stepped out of the carriage , she said, "Well I'm sure she's a nice girl but her dress is creased to buggery and back". I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.
I didn't think her dress was beautiful, although it wasn't ugly either-but I did think it was a) perfect for the wedding she had-anything simpler, and Diana would have been lost in that huge cathedral, and something simpler would have been decidedly less suited to the television broadcast-and b) Diana's gown was a perfect example of the 1980's. It helped to kick off that whole "big gown" trend-which, thankfully, didn't last forever. :)

I also thought the Spencer tiara was perfect for a wedding, with the heart, flowers, and scroll motif. Perfect.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 PM

Princess Diana wedding dress

Hello,

I am curious about a quote attributed to Princess Diana about her wedding dress. In her biography was she quoted as saying: "please let the dress shrink." ?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

The actual quote attributed to Diana about her wedding dress was her saying near the end of her life, when it came to choose the dresses for the Christie's auction:
'I hope that the moths have reduced its volume'.
I assume that it's safe to say that this came from a woman both sadder and wiser regarding both her fashion sense and, sadly, life in general, looking back at her wedding day.
But it also shows her great sense of humor.
BTW, this should really be shifted to the respective thread as suggested before.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:08 PM
Nobility

The dress in its masses wasn't pretty, but the lady inside pulled it off. The Emmanuels really didn't design alot of outfits for Diana after THAT dress. I'm sure they imagined Diana would have used them quite a bit. I wonder if the sketchy outcome of the dress had something to do with it. I mean the fabric creased badly. How could they not have tested that beforehand.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I was at Barnes and Noble recently and came across the book that the Emmanuels wrote about the creation of the dress. It was interesting to flip through, although most of the photos were ones I had seen before. It did have photos of the crew that made the dress, embroidered it, etc. I was thinking about buying the book for my collection, at some point. Has anyone else seen the book?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Nobility

Charles is very hannsssummm!!! *handsome
Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo's Girl
The dress in its masses wasn't pretty, but the lady inside pulled it off. The Emmanuels really didn't design alot of outfits for Diana after THAT dress. I'm sure they imagined Diana would have used them quite a bit. I wonder if the sketchy outcome of the dress had something to do with it. I mean the fabric creased badly. How could they not have tested that beforehand.
I was 11 at the time of Diana's wedding and I thought the dress was exactly what a fairy tale wedding needed. The dimension of the dress really did work for the size of St. Paul's, Diana was tall enough to pull it off, and it really was a design of its time. Look back at some of the royal brides through the 20's and 30's...their dresses reflected the style of the time. Today, the whole bridal fashion industry has undergone a bit of a revolution thanks a great deal to designers like Vera Wang. They realize that not every bride is 19 and marrying in a cathedral with a figure like a model...they make dresses now that are more reflective of the styles real women wear (for the most part). Diana's style evolved over the years as she really matured into the woman she wanted to become.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:28 PM

i just love Diana's wedding gown,i wish to find my man and have the same gown for my wedding :)
just wish me luck
Old 02-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

The engagement interview, hosted at Youtube:

And video of the wedding:
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Nobility

Thanks much for the links to YouTube.

What struck me from the engagement interview was that neither one could name more than two common interests. Very interesting to see that in light of hindsight.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for posting all those pics. What strikes me, in looking at them, is that Diana almost never took a bad picture. In fact, in my opinion, the worst (and they aren't bad or anything) pictures of her are the formal portraits. Candid shots of her are almost 100% wonderful!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Those photos are really nice. It kinda makes you feel sad when you see them but it still very nice. Thanks gfg02.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonaster
I absolutely adore the picture of Diana turning around on the steps and the wind is blowing her veil. Beautiful picture, probably my favorite along with the one of her talking to the little bridesmaid before the wedding.
My two favorites too!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy
i just love Diana's wedding gown,i wish to find my man and have the same gown for my wedding :)
just wish me luck
ha ha ha I agree with you, i want the same gown for my own wedding!
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 04-03-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue
i have a question--
she walked into church with the tiara on her veil
and she walked out with the veil pulled back but the tiara still is seen.
i wouldve thought once she pulled back the veil, the tiara wouldve been covered. how did they fix that???
Her tiara was actually sitting on her head uncovered by veiling on her walk up the isle. As far as I remember it, the couple layers of sequinned face-veil she wore for the ceremony was pinned to the front of the tiara. After the signing of the registry, Diana emerged with her face uncovered, the layers having been removed "behind the scenes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop
They did a similar trick with Sarah as I believe she entered the church with a flower tiara and left with a real one. tadam tadam a flower girl became a real princess.
The flowers actually were there to cover the tiara. When she, too, emerged from signing the registry, the flowers had been removed (she was "deflowered" ) and she was officially a duchess in her sparkly tiara.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Courtier

I don't think this video from YouTube has been posted before...It's Diana on the carriage, getting out of it, her entrance in the Abbey, then walking down the aisle.