The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
I still think that it was a shame the marriage did not last. I think it was a wonderful wedding for Diana and Charles just a pitty ther was a "snake" in the middel.
What was the reason to keep being married since someone proved to love and want to marry the snake (i do not adopt the characterisation) and the other being miserable because of that?
If Diana hadn't been killed, I think that it was the most wise thing to do in order to be both happy

Old 02-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
Diana's dress was hideous. Creases everywhere, huge and meringue like. It was just a ball of silk and chiffon trundling up the aisle.
Beatrix - you seem to forget that it was the 80s and according to 80s standards it was a beautiful dress that started trends all over the world. Mind you that:
  • She could have used a better coloring such as a less creamy ivory for her dress in order to better suit her magnificent complexion.
  • She could have had a much much better hairdo. Good grief we were in the 80s the paradise of bouffant and gel and.... Nobody but a real tiara with diamonds on a boring regular schoolgirl hairdo! She was marrying the Prince of Wales! If she could afford that long a train than she could have had a better hairstylist!

Old 02-25-2006, 07:24 PM
Courtier

Question

I think another thing about the dress was that it had to be in proportion to the setting at St Paul's. The wedding was a grand occasion in a huge building and the gown had to be "over the top" in such a setting. I actually think the Emanuels were going for another Grace Kelly look and may have overshot it a bit. Diana would have probably looked great in a potato sack but when seen from 2006 the gown does look somewhat unflattering. I think the ivory color was actually a better choice than regular white.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:18 AM
Courtier

Nice to see that even priceless princesses' dresses sometimes don't age that well.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:32 AM
Royal Highness

The 80's was a fashion period many of us wish to forget. Diana's dress....well as grand and magnificent it was back then, now it's just eeek! The lace and the material were absolutely lovely but the whole look, the poof; it just wasn't right. The sleeves and the puffy dress made Diana look like she was five times her weight. Her face and tiara were very beautiful and in the end she was still a beautiful bride, regardless of the outcome of her marriage.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Beatrix - you seem to forget that it was the 80s and according to 80s standards it was a beautiful dress that started trends all over the world.
I realise the time period. But I remember my grandmother saying that when Diana stepped out of the carriage , she said, "Well I'm sure she's a nice girl but her dress is creased to buggery and back". I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Courtier

Thanks everyone, it is nice to hear peoples opinions.

I know Diana's train was a whooping 25 feet long! I am not sure how to convert that into metres.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita
I know Diana's train was a whooping 25 feet long! I am not sure how to convert that into metres.
I always wondered how she walked in that dress. It was so big! How could you measure your steps with a poof in front and behind you? If she took one step back, she could have tripped on her train. I would have been a nervous wreck just thinking about that. I think recent bridal dresses (royal and not) just make more functional sense.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:32 AM
Commoner

25 feet are 7,62meters. It was a realy long train.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
How could you measure your steps with a poof in front and behind you?
Trust me dear, it's easy when you know how.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger
25 feet are 7,62meters. It was a realy long train.
really long train! she look really precfect, I love her dress and duchess of york's dress.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 02-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Gentry

i have a question--
she walked into church with the tiara on her veil
and she walked out with the veil pulled back but the tiara still is seen.
i wouldve thought once she pulled back the veil, the tiara wouldve been covered. how did they fix that???
Old 02-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.
You can be so right. Yes we all wanted to find it beautiful. It was my very 1st royal wedding and actually the only one I watched on TV. It was supposed to be a fairy tale and we wanted to see a fairy tale.

For too many years after that many brides were stuck with Diana's style for their wedding dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenue
i have a question--
she walked into church with the tiara on her veil
and she walked out with the veil pulled back but the tiara still is seen.
i wouldve thought once she pulled back the veil, the tiara wouldve been covered. how did they fix that???
When they signed the papers some ladies took care of that - making sure the beautiful tiara was not covered and perfectly seen.

They did a similar trick with Sarah as I believe she entered the church with a flower tiara and left with a real one. tadam tadam a flower girl became a real princess.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Nobility

When it came to the veil, I have read that Barbara Daly, who did Diana's makeup, actually cut out a part of the veil so not to disturb the tiara.

I cannot believe it has been 25yrs since their engagement day, and that William will be 24 years old this year!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I realise the time period. But I remember my grandmother saying that when Diana stepped out of the carriage , she said, "Well I'm sure she's a nice girl but her dress is creased to buggery and back". I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.
I agree. I have read several opinions of the dress published right after the wedding condemning it as being hideous.

I believe there was wide spread concensus at the time that sarah ferguson's dress was better.

I do think this dress probably was more in line with 80s fashion. we would definitely never see diana in this dress had she and charles married 20 years later. she would probably wear something much more streamlined like mathilde or mary.

but beauty is beauty and it does not change with time.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Nobility

Didn't E. Emanuel say in an interview that Diana's dress was actually based on a sample they already had in their salon? When I look at the photos from 11/18/82, (the event at Hampton Court for Queen Beatrix's visit, where Diana has on the orange sash and sapphire brooch) Diana's white organza dress looks very similar to her wedding gown. I wonder if that is an Emanuel (or someone else, maybe Belleville Sassoon?).
Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 AM

Can't believe she's not with us anymore. How beautiful did she look on her wedding day? God these pictures are making me cry.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jean
Didn't E. Emanuel say in an interview that Diana's dress was actually based on a sample they already had in their salon? When I look at the photos from 11/18/82, (the event at Hampton Court for Queen Beatrix's visit, where Diana has on the orange sash and sapphire brooch, post 16 in Diana's Jewellery first thread) Diana's white organza dress looks very similar to her wedding gown. I wonder if that is an Emanuel (or someone else, maybe Belleville Sassoon?).
I'm going to answer my own question. Suzy Menkes said D "sent to a dressmaker for an ice-blue chiffon dress..." on that occasion in Nov. 1982. Maybe it was an Emanuel or a Bellville Sassoon, but it does greatly resemble her wedding gown style.

I would still love to see one of the samples the Emanuels would have had in their shop in the spring of 1981...or maybe some magazine advertising or news coverage of their collection from the time.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Serene Highness

Looks like there will be a documentary out this year about the making of the wedding dress.

http://www.elizabethemanuel.co.uk/html/news_ebay.html
Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Nobility

Diana is my fairytale bride for all time. Yes, the dress was poufy and grand but the lady inside reigned on that day.