The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tiger said:
25 feet are 7,62meters. It was a realy long train.
really long train! she look really precfect, I love her dress and duchess of york's dress.

i have a question--
she walked into church with the tiara on her veil
and she walked out with the veil pulled back but the tiara still is seen.
i wouldve thought once she pulled back the veil, the tiara wouldve been covered. how did they fix that???

BeatrixFan said:
I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.

You can be so right. Yes we all wanted to find it beautiful. It was my very 1st royal wedding and actually the only one I watched on TV. It was supposed to be a fairy tale and we wanted to see a fairy tale.

For too many years after that many brides were stuck with Diana's style for their wedding dress.

ingenue said:
i have a question--
i wouldve thought once she pulled back the veil, the tiara wouldve been covered. how did they fix that???

When they signed the papers some ladies took care of that - making sure the beautiful tiara was not covered and perfectly seen.

They did a similar trick with Sarah as I believe she entered the church with a flower tiara and left with a real one. tadam tadam a flower girl became a real princess.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it came to the veil, I have read that Barbara Daly, who did Diana's makeup, actually cut out a part of the veil so not to disturb the tiara.

I cannot believe it has been 25yrs since their engagement day, and that William will be 24 years old this year!

BeatrixFan said:
I realise the time period. But I remember my grandmother saying that when Diana stepped out of the carriage , she said, "Well I'm sure she's a nice girl but her dress is creased to buggery and back". I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.

I agree. I have read several opinions of the dress published right after the wedding condemning it as being hideous.

I believe there was wide spread concensus at the time that sarah ferguson's dress was better.

I do think this dress probably was more in line with 80s fashion. we would definitely never see diana in this dress had she and charles married 20 years later. she would probably wear something much more streamlined like mathilde or mary.

but beauty is beauty and it does not change with time.

Didn't E. Emanuel say in an interview that Diana's dress was actually based on a sample they already had in their salon? When I look at the photos from 11/18/82, (the event at Hampton Court for Queen Beatrix's visit, where Diana has on the orange sash and sapphire brooch) Diana's white organza dress looks very similar to her wedding gown. I wonder if that is an Emanuel (or someone else, maybe Belleville Sassoon?).

Can't believe she's not with us anymore. How beautiful did she look on her wedding day? God these pictures are making me cry.

Lady Jean said:
Didn't E. Emanuel say in an interview that Diana's dress was actually based on a sample they already had in their salon? When I look at the photos from 11/18/82, (the event at Hampton Court for Queen Beatrix's visit, where Diana has on the orange sash and sapphire brooch, post 16 in Diana's Jewellery first thread) Diana's white organza dress looks very similar to her wedding gown. I wonder if that is an Emanuel (or someone else, maybe Belleville Sassoon?).

I'm going to answer my own question. Suzy Menkes said D "sent to a dressmaker for an ice-blue chiffon dress..." on that occasion in Nov. 1982. Maybe it was an Emanuel or a Bellville Sassoon, but it does greatly resemble her wedding gown style.

I would still love to see one of the samples the Emanuels would have had in their shop in the spring of 1981...or maybe some magazine advertising or news coverage of their collection from the time.

Last edited:
Diana is my fairytale bride for all time. Yes, the dress was poufy and grand but the lady inside reigned on that day.

Look how young everyone looks! Is that the Duchess of Gloucester next to Princess Alice. Princess Anne...playing with the horses of course :)

Yes, Anne can't resist, despite being all dolled up! And that is Birgitte.

In retrospect, Diana's silk "poofy" dream of a dress helped to camoflauge her anorexia. Knowing what we know now, I look at the wedding with a great deal of pathos.

BeatrixFan said:
I realise the time period. But I remember my grandmother saying that when Diana stepped out of the carriage , she said, "Well I'm sure she's a nice girl but her dress is creased to buggery and back". I think people found the dress beautiful because they were determined to find it beautiful whether it was ugly or not.
I didn't think her dress was beautiful, although it wasn't ugly either-but I did think it was a) perfect for the wedding she had-anything simpler, and Diana would have been lost in that huge cathedral, and something simpler would have been decidedly less suited to the television broadcast-and b) Diana's gown was a perfect example of the 1980's. It helped to kick off that whole "big gown" trend-which, thankfully, didn't last forever. :)

I also thought the Spencer tiara was perfect for a wedding, with the heart, flowers, and scroll motif. Perfect.

Princess Diana wedding dress

Hello,

I am curious about a quote attributed to Princess Diana about her wedding dress. In her biography was she quoted as saying: "please let the dress shrink." ?

The actual quote attributed to Diana about her wedding dress was her saying near the end of her life, when it came to choose the dresses for the Christie's auction:
'I hope that the moths have reduced its volume'.
I assume that it's safe to say that this came from a woman both sadder and wiser regarding both her fashion sense and, sadly, life in general, looking back at her wedding day.
But it also shows her great sense of humor.
BTW, this should really be shifted to the respective thread as suggested before.

The dress in its masses wasn't pretty, but the lady inside pulled it off. The Emmanuels really didn't design alot of outfits for Diana after THAT dress. I'm sure they imagined Diana would have used them quite a bit. I wonder if the sketchy outcome of the dress had something to do with it. I mean the fabric creased badly. How could they not have tested that beforehand.

I was at Barnes and Noble recently and came across the book that the Emmanuels wrote about the creation of the dress. It was interesting to flip through, although most of the photos were ones I had seen before. It did have photos of the crew that made the dress, embroidered it, etc. I was thinking about buying the book for my collection, at some point. Has anyone else seen the book?

Christo's Girl said:
The dress in its masses wasn't pretty, but the lady inside pulled it off. The Emmanuels really didn't design alot of outfits for Diana after THAT dress. I'm sure they imagined Diana would have used them quite a bit. I wonder if the sketchy outcome of the dress had something to do with it. I mean the fabric creased badly. How could they not have tested that beforehand.

I was 11 at the time of Diana's wedding and I thought the dress was exactly what a fairy tale wedding needed. The dimension of the dress really did work for the size of St. Paul's, Diana was tall enough to pull it off, and it really was a design of its time. Look back at some of the royal brides through the 20's and 30's...their dresses reflected the style of the time. Today, the whole bridal fashion industry has undergone a bit of a revolution thanks a great deal to designers like Vera Wang. They realize that not every bride is 19 and marrying in a cathedral with a figure like a model...they make dresses now that are more reflective of the styles real women wear (for the most part). Diana's style evolved over the years as she really matured into the woman she wanted to become.

i just love Diana's wedding gown,i wish to find my man and have the same gown for my wedding :)
just wish me luck :lol:

Thanks much for the links to YouTube.

What struck me from the engagement interview was that neither one could name more than two common interests. Very interesting to see that in light of hindsight.

Thanks for posting all those pics. What strikes me, in looking at them, is that Diana almost never took a bad picture. In fact, in my opinion, the worst (and they aren't bad or anything) pictures of her are the formal portraits. Candid shots of her are almost 100% wonderful!

Those photos are really nice. It kinda makes you feel sad when you see them but it still very nice. Thanks gfg02.

londonaster said:
I absolutely adore the picture of Diana turning around on the steps and the wind is blowing her veil. Beautiful picture, probably my favorite along with the one of her talking to the little bridesmaid before the wedding.
My two favorites too!

joy said:
i just love Diana's wedding gown,i wish to find my man and have the same gown for my wedding :)
just wish me luck :lol:

ha ha ha I agree with you, i want the same gown for my own wedding!

ingenue said:
i have a question--

Her tiara was actually sitting on her head uncovered by veiling on her walk up the isle. As far as I remember it, the couple layers of sequinned face-veil she wore for the ceremony was pinned to the front of the tiara. After the signing of the registry, Diana emerged with her face uncovered, the layers having been removed "behind the scenes".

Princess BellyFlop said:
They did a similar trick with Sarah as I believe she entered the church with a flower tiara and left with a real one. tadam tadam a flower girl became a real princess.

The flowers actually were there to cover the tiara. When she, too, emerged from signing the registry, the flowers had been removed (she was "deflowered" ;) ) and she was officially a duchess in her sparkly tiara.

Back
Top Bottom