The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-31-2018, 08:45 PM
Majesty

The 1980s wasn't the 18th century, or even the 19th. The Queen would be the only person powerful enough to order that proof of virginity be supplied for Charles's bride and I'm absolutely certain she didn't.

Books about Charles and Diana often state that any woman Charles married 'had' to be a virgin, in order to partly explain why Diana was chosen. There was no such condition. It had just been a suggestion of Lord Mountbatten's to prevent any ex lovers selling salacious stories to the tabloids.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:17 AM
Courtier

The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The 1980s wasn't the 18th century, or even the 19th. The Queen would be the only person powerful enough to order that proof of virginity be supplied for Charles's bride and I'm absolutely certain she didn't.

Books about Charles and Diana often state that any woman Charles married 'had' to be a virgin, in order to partly explain why Diana was chosen. There was no such condition. It had just been a suggestion of Lord Mountbatten's to prevent any ex lovers selling salacious stories to the tabloids.

I looked it up; virginity doesn’t exist and is merely a social concept, though highly revered in some countries/cultures. And I was mistaken, Uncle Dickie only suggested Charles marry a virgin; I didn’t know it was to prevent any previous ex-lovers from spilling stories to the press.

The Queen was a virgin on her wedding day; was it required back then?

Old 11-01-2018, 03:23 AM
Majesty

I don't think the Queen was brought up with the idea that sex before marriage was normal. Girls weren't encouraged to indulge in that sort of behaviour. Plus, Elizabeth had loved Philip since she was 13, and no they weren't lovers before marriage.

Some people did have premarital sex in the 1940s (and previously) but there was always a risk of pregnancy in those pre-pill days. The contraception then simply wasn't very foolproof.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Personally, I believe that the "requirement" of a bride for Charles has been misread and misinterpreted by many in various sources. We know that Camilla was deemed as not being "marriage material" for the reason being that she had a past. If one was to do a background check of the young Diana, it would have been pretty hard to find something that pointed to Diana "having a past" as she had not seriously dated anyone before getting involved with Charles.

Its very possible that the "having a past" has been misinterpreted by some as "not being a virgin". As Diana really had no past serious involvement in a relationship, it was then assumed she was a virgin.

A royal bride needing to be a virgin is a thing of the past and really has been for quite a while. Without the benefits of birth control back then, things were done to ensure that any issue from the marriage was rightfully begotten on the right side of the blanket in order to be in the line of succession.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~