The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-11-2017, 11:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
An historic moment indeed and one in which everyone concerned was highly delighted and looking forward with such hope for the future, I'm sure. A full meeting of the Privy Council by the look of it. Thanks for posting this, Dman.
You're welcome. It's my first time seeing this picture. The Wales wedding was very historic indeed. I can only imagine how big Prince George's future wedding will be like. A King's first born getting married isn't something to miss.

A.W. TOZER
Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

George's weding might not be that "big" at all, in 20 odd years the RF may opt for simpler weddings..

Old 07-29-2017, 01:35 PM
Courtier

Personally I love Princess Anne's wedding dress and whilst some of Sarah Ferguson's gown wasn't my taste, did she ever look better. Lady Diana Spencer's dress was made for the occasion and location. How long had it been since a Prince of Wales married? The sheer size of the location, the aisle of St Paul's is much broader than Westminster Abbey. It was a princess dress for a fairytale princess? Not my favourite dress then or now but my, was it a memorable day.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybees View Post
Personally I love Princess Anne's wedding dress and whilst some of Sarah Ferguson's gown wasn't my taste, did she ever look better. Lady Diana Spencer's dress was made for the occasion and location. How long had it been since a Prince of Wales married? The sheer size of the location, the aisle of St Paul's is much broader than Westminster Abbey. It was a princess dress for a fairytale princess? Not my favourite dress then or now but my, was it a memorable day.
Been 118 years. Edward vii was the last to marry as Prince if Wales, in 1863. George v married when Victoria was alive. George vi was Duke of York. Elizabeth was heir when she wed so close.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Courtier

Watching with anticipation as Diana got out I remember wondering if anyone else thought she was a wrinkled mess. I felt sorry for her. It was too much. Sarah never looked better than her wedding. I loved the initials. I also thought Camilla looked lovely marrying her prince
Old 09-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

It was wrinkled because the dress was pure silk which easily creases, especially in the confines of a very small carriage. The Emmanuels soon smoothed it out. Diana's dress was very much of its time, the very early 1980s. However the wide skirts and Diana's long veil somehow were right for the vast expanses of St Pauls IMO.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:11 PM
Majesty

Plus Diana had the stature to carry off that type of dress.

LaRae
Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Watching with anticipation as Diana got out I remember wondering if anyone else thought she was a wrinkled mess. I felt sorry for her. It was too much. Sarah never looked better than her wedding. I loved the initials. I also thought Camilla looked lovely marrying her prince
I was horror-struck when this unbelievably enormous crumpled poof of dress and veil exploded out of the carriage like an oversized meringue! I thought it looked ghastly and her train was just too big and too heavy, her veil swamped her face and the bouquet was huge!

It was amazing that the Emanuels's were able to pull and yank the dress into some semblance of order for the entrance but even that didn't help with her hauling that incredible volume of heavy silk, satin and lace up those very big steps and really long aisle.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...mfQXNeVHyFiR-A

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ding_dress.png
Old 11-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Courtier

I agree MARG, though lots of folks love it. I sometimes think she tried to tweak Queen Victoria’s dress but it just didn’t work for me.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:50 PM
Majesty

Honestly not a huge fan of Diana's dress. I love the idea of it...I love the bottom part of it...but the top part didn't care for. Liked the color though.

LaRae
Old 11-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I have read that it was a copy of a dress worn by an ancestor in the late 18th century in a portrait that hung at Althorp. It was a gown that a young girl of just 20 would think was wonderful in the very early 1980s, though.

It's not a design I would have chosen even then, but I did like it. The width of it, the OTT length of the veil just worked in the vastness of St Paul's in the way that a more restrained slimline dress and shorter veil wouldn't have. It added to the drama, the theatricality of that day, IMO.

The Emmanuels were very inexperienced and I don't think they counted in the fact that Diana would be travelling to St Paul's in a relatively small coach with her father who, in spite of his illness, was a large man.

I think that's where the crumpling of the pure silk happened. We're so used today to seeing synthetic materials too, that hang just so, that we are quite unforgiving of natural materials that do crumple and wrinkle. Anyway, I liked the gown, with the caveat that it was very much of its time and place.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:43 PM
Majesty

I hadn't heard that about the dress in the picture. Interesting.

LaRae
Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Nor I Pranter.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Royal Highness

I don't think Diana's dress was what I expected, (although I can't tell you what I expected) and at the time I was disappointed. But I did get to see it in person twice during the traveling exhibition and it was glorious and dramatic.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:01 AM
Majesty

Glad to know I am not alone. Everyone I know seems to have loved it. I found it a giant cupcake on top, and a wrinkled mess on the bottom. The train always seemed ridiculous to me. Having a long veil for drama in a cathedral makes sense, the train just seemed overload.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 AM
Courtier

Countessmemout, I’m on the entire overload train! For me, less is more on this one. Unfortunately I didn’t like it at all.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing thought that hit me about Diana and her wedding dress was that with the dress being so cupcake like and with the extraordinarily long train, it kind of diminished Diana. She looked a lot smaller and shorter than she really was to me.

I never liked the dress, the veil or the huge bouquet but hey... it was the 80s.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-21-2017, 03:15 AM
Nobility

It didn't help that she'd lost a dramatic amount of weight prior to the wedding. The voluminous dress seemed to swallow her -noticeably so from the waist up to the shoulders- however, it was a magnificent creation -I still recall gasping when I saw it at the Althorp exhibition- and a perfect balance for the width and opulence of St Paul's, compared with the elegance of Westminster Abbey, which appears to lend itself towards a more stream-lined style of dress, Princess Margaret's being an exception.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:20 AM
Serene Highness

I can't believe people would want to go for "less is more" with this wedding.

Really?? Lady Diana Spencer, to marry the Prince of Wales, heir to the throne of England, in the great wide St. Paul's Cathedral? A 19 year old girl, the embodiment of the fairytale come true (at the time) and one would expect her to wear a "modest dress"?
It was both the expectation of the times and of the position and institution she was set to enter.

A "less" dress would not have given off the impact that this wedding had and was supposed to have at the time.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Nobility

Not less, but a designer more experienced with getting high profile to major events unwrinkled may have insisted on some changes. A more fitted bodice could have made it through the carriage ride in better shape. Embellishment with some weight to it on the skirt, like embroidery, helps pull out the wrinkles a bit when you stand up. And honestly, just thinking more strategically about how to arrange the dress for the carriage ride (it looked like they just shoved it all in there willy-nilly) could have helped a little.

That said, for a long time I thought the wrinkles were on purpose. As a girl, I thought Diana's gown looked soft and fluffy and lovely.