The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-24-2016, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Tight?? Pippa's gown was low cut but it was certainly not anything close to tight imo. It fit her quite perfectly. All the fuss was made by the silly media fawning over her mythical perfect rear-end.

In any case, any blame for the hoopla over her little sister's dress must ultimately fall upon the bride herself. It would not or could not have made an appearance in the wedding without Kate's approval in the first place.
I dont think that her backside is perfect at all, and ti was quite inappropriate for a church wedding to have that dress stretched over it. it was horrible. I dont remember its being low cut as well but if so again inappropriate,. But then i dont think they have much taste, either Kate and Will or the Middletons.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

I have never understood the fuss about Pippa's dress it wasn't tight it wasn't low cut the press just made a fuss about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 08-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Oh, I loved the Cambridge wedding and thought the ceremony very moving. In fact I find this couple very uninspiring in general, but their wedding is one of my favorites. The liturgy was beautiful.

Diana and Charles's ceremony was more grand and more "Royal" than the the Cambridges but all I remember feeling that day was a vague sense of unease, that someone was just "off" about the whole thing and that all the theater that was on display somehow lacked heart.
Me too! I found it to be very elegant and stately...Traditional. I liked the smaller (size/numbers) ..more intimate. I like it that they were able to have that smaller service (William talked about his conversation with the Queen about it).

Having watched both C&D and W&K...I much prefer W&K's wedding...to include the dresses.

LaRae
Old 08-24-2016, 07:27 PM
Gentry

IMO Kate's dress wasn't long enough for a British royal wedding. I think at the least it should have been 12 feet. The two marriages in the family before hers and William's were not the most conventional so they are nothing to go by. All the modern big British royal wedding gowns were at least 15 feet or longer except for Princess Margaret's(and she was petite so it would have downsized her frame).
Old 08-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge has its own thread in the forums. Please, stay in the topic of the thread: the wedding of the Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Diana's wedding gown was one big 80s cliche and that's putting it nicely.

Plus it was wrinkled to death. It looked like she slept in it for a week.
I have to admit that at the time I loved Diana's dress, but so many years later, I'm not fond of it. I know what it is, the 80's big puffed balloon sleeves. Princess Astrid of Belgium's wedding dress had the same thing and now it looks terrible to me. I felt rather disloyal to Diana when Fergie married as I actually preferred her dress to Diana's although the huge A and S initials on her train was too much for me and rather tacky to my taste.
I read about an interview Diana gave in the 90's and supposedly she stated if she had to choose her wedding dress again, it wouldn't have been that dress. Before anyone jumps on me, I state again the "supposedly" and no, I didn't read the actual "interview".
Old 08-25-2016, 02:37 AM
Serene Highness

I duout if she would say that. It was of its time but so are most dresses. I liked it at the time and I still like it.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Every wedding dress was and is a product of its time. Some decades produce quite timeless gowns. I've seen for instance a wedding dress of the later 1920's in a museum that the Gen Y's with me absolutely loved. The 1980's wasn't one of those decades. Some things in it were reasonably pretty, pie crust collar blouses for example, but not many.

Perhaps quite a few brides would want to change their looks as the years go on. I know a couple of them, married in the 1990s, in the Dynasty era, that would want to for sure. Perhaps Kate will look back years into the future and say 'Why oh why did I go for cone boobs on my gown?' Who knows.

However, Diana's dress wasn't as crinkled and creased as Rudolph says. The Emmanuels managed to smooth out much of it. Her radiance, her youthful beauty, outshone everything on that day, including what she wore. And the width of the skirt of the dress, the lovely bouquet, and the long long veil were perfect in my view for the huge spaces of the interior of St Pauls.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
However, Diana's dress wasn't as crinkled and creased as Rudolf says. The Emmanuels managed to smooth out much of it. Her radiance, her youthful beauty, outshone everything on that day, including what she wore. And the width of the skirt of the dress, the overly bouquet, and the long long veil were perfect in my view for the huge spaces of the interior of St Pauls.
I quite like some 80s clothes myself, perhaps because I was a bright young thing then. I wore Laura Ashley stuff a la Diana, and I had a LA dress for my wedding.
I agree, people go on about Di's dress like it was awful but the reason it was creased BRIEFLY was that it was a natural material, and it soon shook out... SOme dresses are so artifical they couldn't wrinkle! It was a bit crumpled in the coach but it was fine within a minute. It looked right for St Pauls, and had the appropriate grandeur.
I think myself that 20s wedding dresses esp the ones with the short skirt and long train or veil look AWFUL...
Old 08-25-2016, 03:30 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Ditto on the thoughts that wedding dresses were of the era one married in. I married in 1970 and actually my dress, if I had to compare it with anyone's, was more like Anne's with the high neck and the flowing sleeves. It was also the era of the mini, Carnaby Street, go-go boots and Yardley of London makeup from the 60s that fit into the world I lived in at the time.

Sometimes I do get quite a bit of a flashback to the Diana influence of her time. Watching old reruns of "Night Court" on TV here, one character played by Markie Post had a "thing" with Charles and Diana and her apartment in the show was cluttered with memorabilia and she wore her hair like Diana and dressed like Diana. In this respect, Diana's wedding dress was iconic as it defined what a royal bride and princess to be should look like. I, personally, wouldn't be caught dead in it but that's just my taste.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-25-2016, 08:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Every wedding dress was and is a product of its time. Some decades produce quite timeless gowns. I've seen for instance a wedding dress of the later 1920's in a museum that the Gen Y's with me absolutely loved. The 1980's wasn't one of those decades. Some things in it were reasonably pretty, pie crust collar blouses for example, but not many.

Perhaps quite a few brides would want to change their looks as the years go on. I know a couple of them, married in the 1990s, in the Dynasty era, that would want to for sure. Perhaps Kate will look back years into the future and say 'Why oh why did I go for cone boobs on my gown?' Who knows.

However, Diana's dress wasn't as crinkled and creased as Rudolph says. The Emmanuels managed to smooth out much of it. Her radiance, her youthful beauty, outshone everything on that day, including what she wore. And the width of the skirt of the dress, the lovely bouquet, and the long long veil were perfect in my view for the huge spaces of the interior of St Pauls.

Your so right she looked amazing. It the dress prefect for the time and our beautiful princess

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 08-25-2016, 01:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Dittand dressed like Diana. In this respect, Diana's wedding dress was iconic as it defined what a royal bride and princess to be should look like. I, personally, wouldn't be caught dead in it but that's just my taste.
But if you were getting married in a big televised ceremony in a huge cathedral, it would be more suitable than a dress with a modest skirt. Di's dress had to be picked up on camera, form a distance and from close up. I think it was perfect, well maybe a bit OTT but she was so lovely that she coudl pull it off. Anne, the only thing I've ever seen her wearing that looked nice was her yellow outfit for Di's wedding. I also wish she had had the QUeen Mary Tiara, but It mgiht have been rather heavy.. and I also wish that she had had a neck ornament, a simple necklace or chain. I thogth her neck looked bit bare. (but I love jewellery).
Old 08-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
I have to admit that at the time I loved Diana's dress, but so many years later, I'm not fond of it. I know what it is, the 80's big puffed balloon sleeves. Princess Astrid of Belgium's wedding dress had the same thing and now it looks terrible to me. I felt rather disloyal to Diana when Fergie married as I actually preferred her dress to Diana's although the huge A and S initials on her train was too much for me and rather tacky to my taste.
I read about an interview Diana gave in the 90's and supposedly she stated if she had to choose her wedding dress again, it wouldn't have been that dress. Before anyone jumps on me, I state again the "supposedly" and no, I didn't read the actual "interview".
I too preferred Sarah's dress to Diana's as I thought it was more flattering to her shape. Diana's looked too large for her frame by the time of the wedding. However I did love the ivory color that warmed Diana's skin tone.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

I think that was partly due to Diana's weight loss. But Sarah's dress was amazingly pretty and jsut right. I maintain she learned by Di's mistakes...
Old 08-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Sarah's dress was fabulous. One of my all time favorites.

LaRae
Old 08-27-2016, 03:43 AM
Serene Highness

Did any royal lady wear a "Regency style" dress, wth the high bodice, puffed sleeves? Anne's was long and tubular with big long sleeves..
Old 08-28-2016, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness

I'm glad that there are more people out there who appreciate Lady Diana's wedding gown. It is refreshing after all the negativity the gown has received over the years. I have never understood that, the gown was breathtakingly romantic, suitable for the occasion and the venue and it fitted the bride's character/feeling at the time.
Lady Diana remains my #1 bride and I only have a Top 2. I don't even have a #3
Old 08-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
. I have never understood that, the gown was breathtakingly romantic, suitable for the occasion and the venue and it fitted the bride's character/feeling at the time.
Lady Diana remains my #1 bride and I only have a Top 2. I don't even have a #3
Agree SKippy, I never understood it either. It was a bit OTT, but that was the point. She wasn't marrying in a small church, she had to fill up a huge space, and to look romantic and to "back Britain" with the look and materials. She was lovely enough to carry off a somewhat "big" look...