The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2016, 04:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
It wasn't a good marriage but it was an amazing wedding.Beautiful bride, for that time the dress was prefect , huge train ,very solemn but little smiles between the couple.
A beautiful wedding

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Agree. I just did not bother with watching the Kate and Will wedding at all. I watched for a bit and got so bored, becase it was "blah". But Diana's dress IMO was beautiful, the whole cermony was wonderfully well done, music, clothes etc etc.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:57 AM
Heir Apparent

The Charles and Diana wedding was exactly how it had to be for the heir to the British Empire marrying an aristocratic English rose. At this moment it was the fairy tale of the century, years after we realised that the dream turned to nightmare but at this moment it had to be a perfect tale and it was

Old 08-20-2016, 12:42 PM
Serene Highness

I agree. Diana looked exactly as one would (could?) expect for the bride of the heir to the British throne.
Imagine her walking up the aisle in St Paul's Cathedral in a simple gown, no way.

For me, she still is and will always remain my most beautiful royal bride ever. Regal, extremely romantic and with all the pomp and pageantry necessary and possible. When I see a bride I want to see a bride and Lady Diana gave me that.
I've given up hope of her being eclipsed (because 1981 is so long ago and the marriage wasn't one of the happiest), it won't happen.
Lady Diana the bride is still my dream to look at. And The Prince of Wales didn't look too bad either in his uniform.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I agree. Diana looked exactly as one would (could?) expect for the bride of the heir to the British throne.
Imagine her walking up the aisle in St Paul's Cathedral in a simple gown, no way.

F didn't look too bad either in his uniform.
I think she and Charles got the wedding side just right. it was big, it was grand, it was beautiful. Sadly the more important thing was teh marraige and they did nto get that right. but as a wedding, it was great and she wont IMO be eclipsed.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think she and Charles got the wedding side just right. it was big, it was grand, it was beautiful. Sadly the more important thing was teh marraige and they did nto get that right. but as a wedding, it was great and she wont IMO be eclipsed.
That is indeed the sad thing, that the marriage didn't work. I don't believe she will be eclipsed either and now that I have come to accept that, I don't want her to.
Simple or understated seems to be the norm these days. That's not what a wedding is for, IMO. What's wrong with splashing out? I am a big fan of great, opulent gowns.

I want a covered bride in a gown that consists of one piece (thus not strapless with a shawl/bolero/jacket/whatever - that's fake as in covering up) with sleeves and a veil on top of her head. And she has to look romantic, not business-like or simple or grabbed together.

Those are my requirements and guess who met them all? Yes, the woman (or perhaps girl is better word) who became H.R.H. The Princess of Wales on July 29, 1981

As for the groom - preferrably he has to be dressed in black and yes, H.R.H. The Prince of Wales álso met that requirement
Old 08-21-2016, 03:44 AM
Serene Highness

I tought he wore one of his dress unifroms, not black
Old 08-21-2016, 05:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles wore the full dress uniform of a naval commander. It's a very very dark blue not black, but to be fair it's hard to tell the difference!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 AM
Serene Highness

you know I sort of thought he wore red!! memory plays tricks
Old 08-23-2016, 05:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
you know I sort of thought he wore red!! memory plays tricks
William wore red, not his father. I'm always wondering which exact protocol is ruling the choice of the uniform to be worn by the groom in these cases. Free choice ? Political circumstances of the wedding moment ? Why William choose the Irish guards and not another one ?
Old 08-23-2016, 06:16 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I'm not mistaken, William wanted to wear his dress RAF uniform to be married in but here is where Granny won out on the Irish Guard dress uniform. At first I wasn't too sure how well it would go over but with watching the wedding, I think it definitely was the perfect choice.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-23-2016, 07:01 AM
Heir Apparent

I believe that William had just become honorary Colonel of the Irish Guards and so it was protocol, as his grandmother pointed out, to wear their dress uniform at his wedding.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Serene Highness

honestly that was one dull wedding. NO idea what he wore...Then again I know Diana's dress but not what Charles wore. the only thing I think that Diana got wrong as a bride was the little bridesmaids..I think adults are more dignified...
Old 08-24-2016, 05:40 AM
Majesty

I have to admit, for the marriage of William, as a direct heir to the throne, the wedding was boring and the attire totally unremarkable. Now Charles and Diana's "looked" royal and were very grand, even though I cringed when the meringue exploded out of the glass coach, after a thorough push, pull, yank and shove, it looked absolutely perfect in scale as she walked up the aisle. Very majestic indeed.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:49 PM
Majesty

Oh, I loved the Cambridge wedding and thought the ceremony very moving. In fact I find this couple very uninspiring in general, but their wedding is one of my favorites. The liturgy was beautiful.

Diana and Charles's ceremony was more grand and more "Royal" than the the Cambridges but all I remember feeling that day was a vague sense of unease, that someone was just "off" about the whole thing and that all the theater that was on display somehow lacked heart.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Majesty

it was a British wedding. Children aren't unusual as wedding attendants there. Lady Sarah Armstrong was there to help manage them.

Quote:
honestly that was one dull wedding. NO idea what he wore...Then again I know Diana's dress but not what Charles wore. the only thing I think that Diana got wrong as a bride was the little bridesmaids..I think adults are more dignified...
Old 08-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Majesty

I much prefer children attendants. They add charm and a fairy tale feeling to a wedding imo, unlike adults bridesmaids where you have the "Pippa effect" of having them take attention(intentional or not) away from the bride.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
it was a British wedding. Children aren't unusual as wedding attendants there. Lady Sarah Armstrong was there to help manage them.
Yes I know it was a British wedding. I still feel that children are not sutiable attendants. Look at the ghastly spectacle of William at Sarah F's wedding. IMO children should be seen and not heard...
Old 08-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I much prefer children attendants. They add charm and a fairy tale feeling to a wedding imo, unlike adults bridesmaids where you have the "Pippa effect" of having them take attention(intentional or not) away from the bride.
If Pippa took attention away from Kate it was only becuase she looked so awful..in that too tight dress. .
Old 08-24-2016, 05:20 PM
Majesty

Tight?? Pippa's gown was low cut but it was certainly not anything close to tight imo. It fit her quite perfectly. All the fuss was made by the silly media fawning over her mythical perfect rear-end.

In any case, any blame for the hoopla over her little sister's dress must ultimately fall upon the bride herself. It would not or could not have made an appearance in the wedding without Kate's approval in the first place.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If Pippa took attention away from Kate it was only becuase she looked so awful..in that too tight dress. .
Diana's wedding gown was one big 80s cliche and that's putting it nicely.

Plus it was wrinkled to death. It looked like she slept in it for a week.