The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2016, 12:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

well exactly. As some have pointed out, Di's wedding dress was all britiish made and designed. It was meant to promote British history, and British design ability and to fit in with the history of Di's family and the RF. When she had left the RF to an extent, after her separation and divorce, she was free-er to use different designers..
Perhaps I'm just very much not into fashion, but I can't see what the fuss is about "French fashion"... Clothes are clothes, some are uglier or worse made than others, but in the end, they are just clothes.. and I don't see anything so great about them coming from Italy or the UK or New York.
Sure Diana got ti wrong at times, but overall I think she almost always looked lovely, and whether her clothes were from Laura Ashley or Versace didn't really matter.
I think that her wedding look was very suitable, for a big wedding in a big Cathedral ad for a young and lovely girl who could pull off such an extravagant fairy princess look

Old 07-16-2016, 01:32 AM
Nobility

The problem some curmudgeons like myself have with the French labels is that it sends the wrong message about the wearer namely "I'm frivolous and self indulgent and think that money can buy good taste" instead of "I am aware that my lifestyle is funded with public money and therefore I am going to use my status to help my country's industry"

Unless of course you are the First Lady of France, or a Grimaldi.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well I don't really care where a dress comes from, if it is attractive and fit for purpose. Certainly there is a general idea in the BRF that royal ladies should buy British, in fashions and cars and so on.. and I think that is fair enough as they are meant to be supporting their country. If they want to wear a French designer occasionally or at a private party that's fair enough.. but mostly in hteir public duties they should support Britian
Old 07-16-2016, 04:32 AM
Nobility

Compared to the other RF's, the Windsor way can be OTT at times (the subterfuge around the making of Pss Marina and Pss Alexandra's dresses was hilarious) but I don't see things changing in the future.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

35 years ago today Charles and Diana said "I Will."

https://amp.twimg.com/v/cd1c5701-31e...0-8f40435fb121

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes...I was watching a show about the royals last night and realized their wedding day was today. Hard to believe it's been that long ago.

LaRae
Old 07-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

It was a couple of years before my time, but I've watched the wedding on YouTube and that was a very beautiful day. Charles and Diana made a stunning bride and groom.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

I watched it on YouTube too, only a few weeks ago, as I did Sarah and Andrew's wedding. You forget details over the years. As well as the interesting commentary by the BBC and others on the day, what I got from watching it once more was the huge excitement of the gathered crowds who were massing in the streets through which the carriages passed. Many had camped out overnight.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Well I was young but I watched it on TV (and Sarah's too)....over the years with the documentaries etc I've seen quite a bit of it again.

LaRae
Old 07-29-2016, 12:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
The problem some curmudgeons like myself have with the French labels is that it sends the wrong message about the wearer namely "I'm frivolous and self indulgent and think that money can buy good taste" instead of "I am aware that my lifestyle is funded with public money and therefore I am going to use my status to help my country's industry"

Unless of course you are the First Lady of France, or a Grimaldi.
So when Catherine fells in love with a Birkin bag from Hermès, she can not buy it because it is French? When William sees a great glass sculpture made by Gallotti & Radice, he can not buy it because it is Italian?

Huuu... pull up the drawbridges!!!

When the Princess buys a Mini she is spending to BMW (German). When the Prince buys a nice Cadbury's chocolate for Princess Charlotte, he is spending to Kraft (American). When the Queen uses electricity at Balmoral, from Scottish Power, she is spending to Endesa (Spanish).

London landmarks as The Dorchester, The Savoy, Selfridges and Harvey Nichols? In foreign ownership. Money stalled at Barclays Bank? In Qatari hands... Buying a shirt at Harrod's ? Egyptian... Having breakfast with Ye Olde Weetabix? Chinese...

With other words: let Catherine buy that Emilio Pucci dress or that Tom Ford cardigan she likes. It is 2016.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
So when Catherine fells in love with a Birkin bag from Hermès, she can not buy it because it is French? When William sees a great glass sculpture made by Gallotti & Radice, he can not buy it because it is Italian?

Huuu... pull up the drawbridges!!!

When the Princess buys a Mini she is spending to BMW (German). When the Prince buys a nice Cadbury's chocolate for Princess Charlotte, he is spending to Kraft (American). When the Queen uses electricity at Balmoral, from Scottish Power, she is spending to Endesa (Spanish).

London landmarks as The Dorchester, The Savoy, Selfridges and Harvey Nichols? In foreign ownership. Money stalled at Barclays Bank? In Qatari hands... Buying a shirt at Harrod's ? Egyptian... Having breakfast with Ye Olde Weetabix? Chinese...

With other words: let Catherine buy that Emilio Pucci dress or that Tom Ford cardigan she likes. It is 2016.
I think I made a similar point that it's really more for show - yes they could go off and buy the Franco-Italian labels But consider media reaction - would it be positive? Probably not. The exception would be for say a state visit to Italy or the USA when maybe wearing pucci or Tom ford would be to hounor the hosts.

There is a thread I started in the Royal fashion forum about this topic on whether Royal have an obligation to wear local labels where we could discuss this in more depth.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Well I was young but I watched it on TV (and Sarah's too)....over the years with the documentaries etc I've seen quite a bit of it again.

LaRae
I missed Andre and Sarah's wedding and for some reason it never turned up again on TV.. Charles and Dis' wedding well knowing waht we know.. it is rather sad to watch...
Old 07-29-2016, 08:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

I loved the pomp and pageantry of the royal wedding. There hasn't been a royal wedding like it since.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-29-2016, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that was a unique event, the first of its kind really in the modern era, considering that the mourning Queen Victoria insisted on Edward and Alexandra's wedding being as quiet as humanly possible! No TV etc in those days, either!

Perhaps some of us will be around to see George, Prince of Wales married in the same sort of way. I don't know. Perhaps there's too much cynicism around about these things now.
However, so much magic was around on that day, the excited crowds, the innocent and beautiful young bride, all the pomp and ceremony, wonderful really.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, that was a unique event, the first of its kind really in the modern era, considering that the mourning Queen Victoria insisted on Edward and Alexandra's wedding being as quiet as humanly possible! No TV etc in those days, either!

Perhaps some of us will be around to see George, Prince of Wales married in the same sort of way. I don't know. Perhaps there's too much cynicism around about these things now.
However, so much magic was around on that day, the excited crowds, the innocent and beautiful young bride, all the pomp and ceremony, wonderful really.
Yes, the event was indeed unique. Even Andrew and Sarah's wedding was grand. I guess George's future wedding will be on that kind of scale. Being the Monarch's heir makes the difference.

A.W. TOZER
Old 07-29-2016, 10:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana was still Her Ladyship in this wedding photo.
Diana, Princess of Wales is led down the aisle of St. Paul's... News Photo | Getty Images
Old 08-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post

I dont think it wil be quite the same. And of course the pageantry was lovely but when you think of how unhappy teh marriage was, it seems a sad event now. I dont think that Kate and Wil's wedding was as grand..
Old 08-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate and William's wedding was much less grand. Neither of them wanted 'grand' (on the scale of his parents)...and William isn't the heir. Also...different era.

I actually liked Kate and Williams wedding much better than his parents. To include the dresses etc.

LaRae
Old 08-06-2016, 03:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

As a wedding no.. I thougth that K's dress was derivative, it wasn't all that grand, or glamourous. but as I said, the glamour of Di's wedding was heavily paid for...
Old 08-06-2016, 03:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

It wasn't a good marriage but it was an amazing wedding.Beautiful bride, for that time the dress was prefect , huge train ,very solemn but little smiles between the couple.
A beautiful wedding

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community