The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2016, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by WreathOfLaurels View Post
As for hair and tiara - although short hair was Diana's thing, this was a time when she probably could have done with either more volume in the form of a more choppy do with extra wave fto hide the tiaras base as the more traditional solution of hair extensions would probably have been too much. It's interesting that an earls daughter was never taught how to wear a tiara properly, and that the hair dressers seemed to have lost the ability to do good tiara do's. Either that or they have all gone to Sweden.
I recall that her hair was straighter during that time period and as a result her bangs looked rather flat on her forehead. In later years she did adopt a fuller hairstyle and her tiara placement was much better.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Serene Highness

She never wore a tiara because she didn't do any social events where she would need to wear one. Anyway I think that mostly they are for married women or royal women...I think she looked lovely on her wedding day. She was beautiful enough to pull off the very OTT dress and it was suitable for being married in a huge place like St Pauls.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I don't think a royal lady should be forced to only wear her countries labels. They can mix it up but if you don't like British fashion (or another country if that is where you are Princess of) then you shouldn't be forced to wear those labels all the time. And if Fergie wore foreign labels then the Dior's and St Laurent's were playing a cruel joke on her.
yes they should. They are there to fly the British flag, not to wear just any clothes they like.
And sorry but I do think that to call someone's wedding dress ugly is unkind. OK some wedding dresses are not very nice, but i'd never publicly call them ugly, as they are so special to a bride...
Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Heir Apparent

That Spencer Tiara was a stunner on her as well.

LaRae
Old 07-12-2016, 09:55 PM
Nobility

The base was still visible and for someone who I could swear had been born with perfect hair it seems like a bit of an oversight

The spencer tiara is still one of the nicest around and Diana always looked good with it on. It's a shame it's not a Royal tiara as I don't get to see it as often as I would like.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I think Diana liked wearing the family tiara rather than the Lovers Knot because of the discomfort of the latter, pearls on it tinkling etc. I like brides wearing their family tiara if they can. Also, the 1980's was rather an ugly decade fashion wise, so we could blame Diana's look as a bride at least partly on that!

IMO tiara's seem to look much better on women with thick rather springy hair, like Queen Sylvia of Sweden. When Diana had 'big' hair in the late 1980's her tiaras looked stunning, though I can't remember her wearing a large variety.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:24 PM
Nobility

The dress was designed to harmonise with the tiara - the lace mimics the floral and swirly motifs of the tiara and the sparkly veil added to the glittering effect of the tiara.

As I said earlier, this ensemble isn't everyone's cup of tea but its very well put together and coherent for something that was put together with relative speed and in cramped conditions, makes the misfires of larger fashion houses for other royal wedding gowns all the more glaring and unforgivable.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Was the decision up to Lady Diana to choose to ride in the Glass Coach to St. Paul's Cathedral? Or did Diana have the option to choose to ride in an automobile or a different carriage to the cathedral?
Old 07-12-2016, 11:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Was the decision up to Lady Diana to choose to ride in the Glass Coach to St. Paul's Cathedral? Or did Diana have the option to choose to ride in an automobile or a different carriage to the cathedral?
I think it was a protocol decision as this was the coach that had been used for other state weddings (Queen, Margaret, Anne) until that point - I don't think they will be using it for any weddings anytime in the future as its quite delicate.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
yes they should. They are there to fly the British flag, not to wear just any clothes they like.
And sorry but I do think that to call someone's wedding dress ugly is unkind. OK some wedding dresses are not very nice, but i'd never publicly call them ugly, as they are so special to a bride...

Then don't call it ugly, I don't think it's unkind I so I will call it ugly. And there are different ways to support your country rather than just wearing clothes from someone inside the country. Princess whoever can wear Versace or Dior while still doing work to better the country.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-13-2016, 01:25 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Then don't call it ugly, I don't think it's unkind I so I will call it ugly. And there are different ways to support your country rather than just wearing clothes from someone inside the country. Princess whoever can wear Versace or Dior while still doing work to better the country.
Fergie did very little work back in the day - the foreign labels that did her no favours was representative of her approach to being in the RF, in it for the perks and nothing else. Even somone who is far better at the whole RF thing like Sophie Wessex has been rapped on the knuckles for wearing Prada a couple of times.

Its part of the quid pro quo I guess.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:26 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Yes, I think Diana liked wearing the family tiara rather than the Lovers Knot because of the discomfort of the latter, pearls on it tinkling etc. I like brides wearing their family tiara if they can. Also, the 1980's was rather an ugly decade fashion wise, so we could blame Diana's look as a bride at least partly on that!

IMO tiara's seem to look much better on women with thick rather springy hair, like Queen Sylvia of Sweden. When Diana had 'big' hair in the late 1980's her tiaras looked stunning, though I can't remember her wearing a large variety.
Diana only wore the medium or small tiaras. From what I've seen big tiaras are not really for young women - age is needed to make them look good along with the right hair and cranium chunkiness - case in point, Camilla in the greville and Delhi durbar tiaras.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Fergie did very little work back in the day - the foreign labels that did her no favours was representative of her approach to being in the RF, in it for the perks and nothing else. Even somone who is far better at the whole RF thing like Sophie Wessex has been rapped on the knuckles for wearing Prada a couple of times.

Its part of the quid pro quo I guess.
Your definitely right about Fergie, that woman was just lazy and even if she did wear British designers she would make sure to pick the ugliest outfits they had.
I know Diana mixed it up and wore the big foreign labels sometimes; I think it's ridiculous that the media will criticize Sophie for wearing Prada occasionally, as long as they don't do it all the time then I feel its a woman's prerogative to want to look good and some of those big brands are great at making women look good. criticizing them for choosing foreign labels just seems like not picking especially if they don't do it all the time.

As for tiaras I think they looked off on Diana when she cut her hair shorter.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:45 AM
Serene Highness

She's supposed to use her country's designers... Assuming that British design is reasonably good (fashion means nothing to me) I can't see why she wouldn't look good. And "looking good" is rather subjective anyway and harldly the most important thing in life. it wodl be like always going abroad to expensive places for holidays and never taking a holiday at home, whereas the queen has nearly always taken her holidays at home. or driving foreign cars. I'm sure the POTUS does not let himself be seen driving a foreign car.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Your definitely right about Fergie, that woman was just lazy and even if she did wear British designers she would make sure to pick the ugliest outfits they had.
I know Diana mixed it up and wore the big foreign labels sometimes; I think it's ridiculous that the media will criticize Sophie for wearing Prada occasionally, as long as they don't do it all the time then I feel its a woman's prerogative to want to look good and some of those big brands are great at making women look good. criticizing them for choosing foreign labels just seems like not picking especially if they don't do it all the time.

As for tiaras I think they looked off on Diana when she cut her hair shorter.
Not when you're doing it on the public dime. It's not so much a case of looking good as it's looking presentable for the occasion, some people are good at wearing cloths and some are not. The services of a stylist can be of use for making a overall look work. They can wear foreign labels in private on their own time and pay for it out of their own pocket, but not while working - it's a dress code, most work places have them and 'the firm' is no different.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She's supposed to use her country's designers... Assuming that British design is reasonably good (fashion means nothing to me) I can't see why she wouldn't look good. And "looking good" is rather subjective anyway and harldly the most important thing in life. it wodl be like always going abroad to expensive places for holidays and never taking a holiday at home, whereas the queen has nearly always taken her holidays at home. or driving foreign cars. I'm sure the POTUS does not let himself be seen driving a foreign car.
I agree. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a country's head of state and, in the case of the Royals, the HoS's heirs and their spouses to wear clothes designed and made by their own country's designers and dressmakers. I think that it is part of their job/role which is to support and promote their country. They are part of the country's brand. I am quite sure that there have been enough competent designers in the UK over the last 30 or so years to produce sufficiently high quality clothes for the senior royals without recourse to foreign designers. I don't think that being French or Italian necessarily means that a designer is so much better than the UK designers that the royals would be risking not looking good if they wore locally designed and made clothes when performing their job, and, preferably too when they are on their own time.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:27 AM
Nobility

i think some on this thread are overlooking how influential the UK fashion houses are, due in no small part to royal patronage, and this covers a wide variety of styles and trends. The main reason men's fashion tends to be based in London not Paris is due to the saville row tailors association with the court and the city of London business sector. A number of important trends in women's fashion started in the UK not France and the Royal ladies did a lot in promoting it eg the new look was as much a creation of Norman Hartnell as it was Christian Dior, and the new romantic look of the early eighties was given a major boost by the clothing choices of Diana. royal patronage and the culture of the court has always played a large role in Britans fashion and textile industry and is one of the reasons it was able to enjoy at least some of the prestige the Franco-Italian brands do.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Not when you're doing it on the public dime. . They can wear foreign labels in private on their own time and pay for it out of their own pocket, but not while working - it's a dress code, most work places have them and 'the firm' is no different.
Agree. People don't mind the RF occaisioanally wearing foreign designers, but for the main part of their public life, they should wear British design
Old 07-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know Diana wore Versace at engagements apparently he was one of her favs. This may just be me being an American and not understanding British culture but I don't think royal women should be criticized if they wear Chanel St Laurent Prada etc. Especially if they don't do it all the time. To me every woman would love to wear those brands; now if wearing them means paying $5000 for a pair of shoes then sure stay away from them. I think if Sophie wears British 80% of the time then she is doing her part. Again it may just be because I don't understand it being American.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I know Diana wore Versace at engagements apparently he was one of her favs. This may just be me being an American and not understanding British culture but I don't think royal women should be criticized if they wear Chanel St Laurent Prada etc. Especially if they don't do it all the time. To me every woman would love to wear those brands; now if wearing them means paying $5000 for a pair of shoes then sure stay away from them. I think if Sophie wears British 80% of the time then she is doing her part. Again it may just be because I don't understand it being American.
Diana only wore the non uk labels after the decree nisi was issued, and it was about sending a deliberate message about how she was bigger than the RF - she also started to show more skin as well, again this was about sending a deliberate message. The other RFs tend to be more relaxed about such things maybe because they are more into the whole pan European thing than the UK is?
Nonetheless, the rule is if that person gets their money from the civil list (ie from the treasury and ultamintly the tax payer) the expectation is that said money should be put back into the uk economy promoting local business and not on foreign labels. The critisim stems from the idea that if you are going to receive taxpayer money as your income than it should be for promoting local industry and go back into the local economy. It's also for this reason the RF all drive cars that are manufactured in the uk and are historically uk brands. Same for a number of luxury goods brands - it's about the perceived greater good.

You may notice that the more peripheral members of the RF who don't receive civil list money but instead live off their own money (inheritances, buisnesses, marrying somone rich etc...) can wear what they like but still often go for uk labels for reasons of convention, patriotism, and to avoid critisim in the press.