The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Majesty

I think people have to understand that marriage is no fairytale, despite it being a royal marriage. Married royal couples have their ups and downs just like other couples.

I think that's the sad part about Charles & Diana's marriage, people put too much high expectations on their shoulders. I think it all became too great a burden for them to carry. The press wasn't much help either. Marriage is already hard but to have the media making everything into a soap opera, I think will really put a strain on anyones marriage.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Aristocracy

The world did put to push pressure on Charles and Diana's marriage. I remember everytime there was a picture of those two and they weren't looking at each other, or were looking at something else. ever talking to different people. There were reports about a Royal Breakup. It was every month, weekly by the end of the marriage.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
The world did put to push pressure on Charles and Diana's marriage. I remember everytime there was a picture of those two and they weren't looking at each other, or were looking at something else. ever talking to different people. There were reports about a Royal Breakup. It was every month, weekly by the end of the marriage.
Perhaps, but if they really wanted to stay together, papers, reports and "the world" wouldn't have made an ounce of difference if their life.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Royal Highness

Oh, no, it was not the public or the press that doomed that marriage. Those outside forces at times don't help a bad situation, but that bad situation was already in existence.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 AM
Heir Apparent

The wedding in full

And a nice tv special
Old 08-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think people have to understand that marriage is no fairytale, despite it being a royal marriage. Married royal couples have their ups and downs just like other couples.

I think that's the sad part about Charles & Diana's marriage, people put too much high expectations on their shoulders. I think it all became too great a burden for them to carry. The press wasn't much help either. Marriage is already hard but to have the media making everything into a soap opera, I think will really put a strain on anyones marriage.
I was a young girl still living at home at the time of their engagement and marriage, and even I knew something was way OFF about this so-called "love story."

I was enchanted by Diana like most everyone else, but at no time did I believe I was seeing a fairy tale or a true love match.(Unlike with Andrew and Sarah a few years later, which really was both and it was pretty obvious to me).

There was no chemistry between Charles and Diana from the beginning...ZERO. But Andrew and Sarah were giddy. If they had been any happier they would have levitated.

The press built Charles and Diana up because it's what they and the great majority of the public wanted and needed to believe.

I never did. And when it all fell apart I was sad but not a bit surprised.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Majesty

Charles & Diana was a stiffer couple but they had their moments and you could see that there was love between them. I know I saw it. There was too much expected of them and lots of pressure.

With Andrew & Sarah, their playful and naughty sense of humor showed more and they wasn't in the Wales's position, so they were able to be laid back and relax.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I was a young girl still living at home at the time of their engagement and marriage, and even I knew something was way OFF about this so-called "love story."

I was enchanted by Diana like most everyone else, but at no time did I believe I was seeing a fairy tale or a true love match.(Unlike with Andrew and Sarah a few years later, which really was both and it was pretty obvious to me).

There was no chemistry between Charles and Diana from the beginning...ZERO. But Andrew and Sarah were giddy. If they had been any happier they wpuld have levitated.

The press built Charles and Diana up because it's what they and the great majority of the public wanted and needed to believe.

I never did. And when it all fell apart I was sad but not a bit surprised.
I quite agree. At the time, Prince Charles was quite unappealing to my youthful, american self and to me it was obviously not a two way love match at the start. "Whatever love is," indeed! I wanted it to be LOVE, and I think a lot of us thought that after the wedding, there was no way he could not go head over heals for Diana's calm and charm.

Well that was that. I did see him admiring her abilities and then I saw him growing resentful, and her as well. All that as their respective staffs were busily undermining the relationship with leaks and half truths. Other staff from across the family joined in the sport and it descended into the very ugly very quickly.

It's true that Diana and Charles would fall back into like from time to time, but we were so entertained by their war that the rapprochements were mostly ignored.

I do blame myself for paying attention to all the mud - people like me fed the frenzy.

They reamain two people who could not have been more badly matched. Sad.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Majesty

After hearing one of Prince Charles's old friends admit that Charles has never been that good with women and love them in his own way, makes me think the "whatever in love means" remark wasn't just meant for his relationship with Diana.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
After hearing one of Prince Charles's old friends admit that Charles has never been that good with women and love them in his own way, makes me think the "whatever in love means" remark wasn't just meant for his relationship with Diana.
Yes. I think you could write a major psychological thesis on why he let it slip out as he did. I'd say it to a friend, not a fiance and certainly not to a camera with my arm around my fiance.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Serene Highness

Just one of the many little slips or clues that Charles wasn't into her. I doubt I'd have been onto those clues when I was 20 or so. Apparently "whatever love means" meant something different for Charles when directed at Diana, than at Camilla.

AFAIK, Charles has not been sustaining a close friendship with another woman while married to Camilla.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Majesty

I think Charles may feel he's too old to go through all that again.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 11-04-2013, 05:13 PM
Nobility

official photos

Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
A film about the royal wedding in the UK
En film om kungliga bröllop i Storbritannien | Svensk Damtidning

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...ien%2F&act=url
Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Auctioned a portion of the wedding cake of Prince Charles and Princess Diana
Subastan una porción de la tarta nupcial del príncipe Carlos y Diana de Gale | Realeza | Noticias hola.com

https://translate.google.com.tr/tran...les%2F&act=url
Old 02-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Nobility

I was born exactly 9 years later. When my mom said Charles and Diana got married on my birthday, I said no, I was born on their 9th wedding anniversary! My parents themselves got married on Princess Margaret's 46th birthday, and will celebrate their 38th wedding anniversary this year!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I was at Barnes and Noble recently and came across the book that the Emmanuels wrote about the creation of the dress. It was interesting to flip through, although most of the photos were ones I had seen before. It did have photos of the crew that made the dress, embroidered it, etc. I was thinking about buying the book for my collection, at some point. Has anyone else seen the book?
Iowabelle. I have the book. The book is titled A Dress for Diana.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Royal Highness

In A Dress for Diana, by David Emanuel and Elizabeth Emanuel, David and Elizabeth wrote:

Also, we wanted to create a very full skirt to give a scale to the dress that would reflect the fact that the wedding was to be at St. Paul's, one of the largest cathedrals in the world.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=Dman;1591699]Charles & Diana was a stiffer couple but they had their moments and you could see that there was love between them. I know I saw it. There was too much expected of them and lots of pressure.
QUOTE] I agree they were in love and if they had simply been an aristocratic couple, and not had to work together, and not had the media make a giant star out of 20 year old Diana, they would have been a happy couple, a younger wife and an older husband.
That is to say if they weren't the POW, they didn't have their public positions, they could have made it. Many marriages are undone by circumstance, work, money difficulties, doesn't mean they were doomed from the start just that the "slings and arrows" have gotten too numerous.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Royal Highness

In Diana, Sarah Bradford wrote:

At St. Paul's Cathedral, Diana had to concentrate on getting her sick father up the long aisle without mishap. One of the officiating clergy (Dean Webster) told friends how touching it was to see the way she practically carried him, walking painfully slowly, up the aisle.