The Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: 29 July 1981

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i know u shouldn't use the word love on objects but i have to say that i really love the pic-it brings back so many memories

Thanks for starting this thread. WHo would have known such an innocent, young would live such a tragic life. But she was the most beautiful royal bride ever.

He never should have married her in the first place. He gave her an illusion of a "happily-ever-after" and never intended to follow through with it. The two of them ended up miserable and I honestly think that she would have lived longer had they never married. I guess that the only thing that would have made that marriage worth it to Diana were the two amazing sons that were given to her.

Looking back at these pictures, I wonder how Diana walked or moved at all on her wedding day. The dress seems to engulf her tiny frame.

Personally, I would never wear a wedding dress like Diana's. Too meringue-y. But I would say that the romantic fairytale dress did suit Diana's character and the public's perception. It was this dress that ushered in the return-to-romance look of the 80s (and some of those wedding gowns were horrific) from the counter cultural gowns of the 60s and 70s. And considering the location was St. Paul's Cathedral, Diana had to have dress that would match and not be drawfed by the grandeur and majesty of the setting.

Last edited:
I absolutely adore the picture of Diana turning around on the steps and the wind is blowing her veil. Beautiful picture, probably my favorite along with the one of her talking to the little bridesmaid before the wedding.

Yesterday is was 24 years ago they were married. Pictures from AP, Reuters and ANP

Attachments

• churhh.jpg
    churhh.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 610
  • outchurh.jpg
    outchurh.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 720
  • 2608552.jpg
    2608552.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 798
  • charlesdiana2.jpg
    charlesdiana2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 742
  • other.jpg
    other.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 690
  • walk.jpg
    walk.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,036
  • boven.jpg
    boven.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,025
Thank you so much for those pictures!I can't believe how perfect it all looked. I wasn't alive then, but I can image how everyone was so captured by the 'fairytale'

Seeing the photos makes me sad. I still can't believe she's been gone.

micas said:
Some 1 can tell me how that facial veil get out? When Diana enter she have the tiara above the veil...so if Charles put the veil back the tiara stay down and that don't hapen...so some1 have pics from that moment or remember or see in some place?

I think that when they went off to sign the registry book they fixed her hair and moved the veil off her face. That was never shown on TV.

Beetlejuice said:
Seeing the photos makes me sad. I still can't believe she's been gone.

It still makes me very sad, too. The difference between what we saw and what was real was sad just by itself. And then to have lost her in such a needless way.

I cried for about a week and still do when I think of her.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the pics was collage like and said wedding of the century. Do you guys feel that it was the wedding of the century? I think so. But sometimes wehn I look at these and other pics of her I just want to scream why. She was a virgin who didn't do anything w/ anyone and saved herself for her husband. And for all this to happen...A virgin's worst nightmare to give your husband what you've been saving for him and for everything to turn all wrong. But she looked absolutely divine (I wonder will any of the conspiracy theorist say that she plotted to look so serene and graceful to get the public's attention). Anyway, I am going to get a video from the library of the wedding since I wasn't born then. I would really luv to se the wedding.

I really think that it was the wedding of the century. I haven't seen the wedding though. At the time, I was 7. It is really sad of what happened. Nobody was able to predict the future at the time although some people had the feeling that this marriage will be a total disaster.

Some pics and a beautiful sketching from gettyimages

Attachments

• Dianabeauty4.jpg
    Dianabeauty4.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 658
  • Dianabeauty6.jpg
    Dianabeauty6.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 934
  • Dianabeauty5.jpg
    Dianabeauty5.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 714
  • Dianabeauty3.jpg
    Dianabeauty3.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 984
  • Dianabeauty2.jpg
    Dianabeauty2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 609
  • Dianabeauty.jpg
    Dianabeauty.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 860
Yes, it was the wedding of the century. It was the wedding around the world that everyone watched and looked forward to. People took off work around the world to see it. It was the ultimate fairy tale come true even if it didn't turn out bad. By today's standards the dress is over the top, but in the 80's everyone wanted a dress like that it captured the imagination.

Someone already answered Micas question, but when she signed the book she changed her veil and tiara around. They were in the office for quite some time. Sarah also did the same thing but with the flowers. I remember it from the broadcast.

Pictures from the Church without watermark. Source unknown

Attachments

• new 1.jpg
    new 1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,014
  • new 2.jpg
    new 2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,095
  • new 3.jpg
    new 3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,302
  • new 4.jpg
    new 4.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 806
  • new5.jpg
    new5.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 781
  • new 7.jpg
    new 7.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 821
  • new 8.jpg
    new 8.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 2,720
Something special

Fashionista100 said:
Yes, it was the wedding of the century. It was the wedding around the world that everyone watched and looked forward to. People took off work around the world to see it. It was the ultimate fairy tale come true.
Well-stated Fashionista100. Nothing had captured the interest of the (Western) world like this event did. It was the launch of the Princess Superstar, the phenomenon of the late twentieth century. It is perhaps hard today to describe the atmosphere at the time, but the excitement was palpable and it united us all. (Probably much the same as the Coronation of 1953 did - my parents have told me of the neighbourhood Coronation parties held here in Sydney.) As much as Diana's funeral depressed us, the wedding was the other extreme in its universal uplifiting effect. It was a very special time.

Warren said:
Well-stated Fashionista100. Nothing had captured the interest of the (Western) world like this event did. It was the launch of the Princess Superstar, the phenomenon of the late twentieth century. It is perhaps hard today to describe the atmosphere at the time, but the excitement was palpable and it united us all. (Probably much the same as the Coronation of 1953 did - my parents have told me of the neighbourhood Coronation parties held here in Sydney.) As much as Diana's funeral depressed us, the wedding was the other extreme in its universal uplifiting effect. It was a very special time.

It was truly a very special time. I had just turned 13 years old 3 weeks previous to the wedding. I remember the excitement of counting down the days with my Mom until the wedding.

We got up at 4AM (EST) to see all of the festivities. I was blown away by the amount of people lining the streets!! I remember the carriage procession and seeing Diana in the glass coach with her father. She looked so shy and demure.

When she walked down the aisle, I thought of her poor father. They kept repeating here on American TV that the Earl had had a stroke and was not too steady on his feet. My mother and I were holding our collective breaths until he got Diana to the altar!

I made a sound of surprise when she mixed up Charles' names. I was like OH MY GOD!

The carriage procession back to Buckingham was magnificent. They looked so good together and the balcony appearances were phenomenal. It was miraculous in a young girl's eyes (as I was at the time) to see a woman transformed from the ordinary to a princess.

If I had only known how it was going to end. I wouldn't have wanted her to walk down the aisle:( :( :( .

At the time it was the wedding of the century. However, knowing now that it was a complete sham, makes it null and void in my eyes.

The wedding of Fred and Mary may not have been watched by as many people, but it was probably the most regal of royal weddings that I can remember and I do remember Charles and Dianas wedding.

did Diana lose weight before the marriage? she looks heavier in the engagement pictures than in the wedding photos.

cd_1 said:
did Diana lose weight before the marriage? she looks heavier in the engagement pictures than in the wedding photos.

The dress designers complained that she was losing weight all the time, they had to keep taking the dress in.

I think she was bingeing and purging throughout the engagement.

semisquare said:
i know u shouldn't use the word love on objects but i have to say that i really love the pic-it brings back so many memories

well, I was there that day, with my younger cousin, we waited for so long on The Mall, which leads to BP, then, she and C. came by, and then we went to BP, just where the statue is, I recall when ppl asked for a kiss and so he kissed Diana.

Moonlightrhapsody said:
He never should have married her in the first place. He gave her an illusion of a "happily-ever-after" and never intended to follow through with it. The two of them ended up miserable and I honestly think that she would have lived longer had they never married. I guess that the only thing that would have made that marriage worth it to Diana were the two amazing sons that were given to her.

she would have been still alive, now, maybe she would have married some1 who could love her, as for the sons, I feel so sad when I c that they have accepted the new wife of their father and carry on with their lives, I wonder if they ever think of their late mom, she was so proud of them, exp. of Wills.

Reina said:
Thanks for starting this thread. WHo would have known such an innocent, young would live such a tragic life. But she was the most beautiful royal bride ever.

I loved her wed dress, and that started a trend btw the spouses, I myself got married 2 years after Diana, but was not able to find a wed dress that resembled hers, unfortunately, I have seen so many wed dresses in Royal weds, but for me Di's was the most beautiful, hope to go to Althorp soon , so I can visit her grave and look at her wonderful wed dress.

emily62_1 said:
I loved her wed dress, and that started a trend btw the spouses, I myself got married 2 years after Diana, but was not able to find a wed dress that resembled hers, unfortunately, I have seen so many wed dresses in Royal weds, but for me Di's was the most beautiful, hope to go to Althorp soon , so I can visit her grave and look at her wonderful wed dress.

PS- when Caroline of Monaco married Stefano Casiraghi wearing the short wed dress at the end of 1983, I remember some of my cousins chose a short wed dress themselves and wore a white tape in their hair just like Caroline.

misshelen said:
and more pics..

who were the bridesmaid and the bride- grooms? I think the blonde girl of about 4 years old, on Di's left must be Lady Gabriella Windsor, then Lady Sarah, who were the other 1s? was Lord Federick there, maybe not as he was only 2 at the time-

emily62_1 said:
who were the bridesmaid and the bride- grooms? I think the blonde girl of about 4 years old, on Di's left must be Lady Gabriella Windsor, then Lady Sarah, who were the other 1s? was Lord Federick there, maybe not as he was only 2 at the time-

Gabriella Windsor was too young.

The girls were Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, then 17; India Hicks, 11, granddaughter of Lord Mountbatten; Sarah Jane Gaselee (I might have spelled this wrong), 11, whose father had something to do with Prince Charles' polo; Catherine Cameron, 6; and Clementine Hambro, 4 or 5, who was the great-granddaughter of Winston and Clementine Churchill and who was a student at Princess Diana's kindergarten.

I have forgotten the boys' names but I know I've seen them in various books.

The boys were Edward van Cutsem (dark hair) and Lord Nicholas Windsor.

micas said:
Some 1 can tell me how that facial veil get out? When Diana enter she have the tiara above the veil...so if Charles put the veil back the tiara stay down and that don't hapen...so some1 have pics from that moment or remember or see in some place?

After the vows they went to sign the register. At that time, away from public view, the veil over her face was removed.

iowabelle said:
Gabriella Windsor was too young.

The girls were Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, then 17; India Hicks, 11, granddaughter of Lord Mountbatten; Sarah Jane Gaselee (I might have spelled this wrong), 11, whose father had something to do with Prince Charles' polo; Catherine Cameron, 6; and Clementine Hambro, 4 or 5, who was the great-granddaughter of Winston and Clementine Churchill and who was a student at Princess Diana's kindergarten.

I have forgotten the boys' names but I know I've seen them in various books.

thanx, was India Hicks the little girl who died about 2 years after the wedding, of a brain tumour, and Lady Di was so distressed, I recall it so well, it was all so sad, Di nursed the little girl as if she was her own kid, she let India to be shown on the Royal Balcony on official duties, and she spoilt the little girl so much til the end, but I'm not sure if it was India or not, this kid was a daughter of some relatives of the Windsor.

Hon Leonora Romsey

emily62_1 said:
Was India Hicks the little girl who died about 2 years after the wedding, of a brain tumour, and Lady Di was so distressed, I recall it so well, it was all so sad, Di nursed the little girl as if she was her own kid, she let India to be shown on the Royal Balcony on official duties,
The little girl was the Hon Leonora Romsey, the daughter of Lord and Lady Romsey, who died at the age of four from a kidney tumour. She appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in June 1991 and died four months later in October.

Lord Romsey is the eldest son of Countess Mountbatten of Burma. He and his wife, neé Penelope Eastwood, are part of the tight inner circle of the Royal Family, and Lady Romsey is known to be close to The Duke of Edinburgh.

India Hicks is the daughter of Lady Pamela Hicks, the sister of the Countess of Burma.

As an aside, I think it more likely that The Queen determines who appears on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

Last edited:
emily62_1 said:
thanx, was India Hicks the little girl who died about 2 years after the wedding, of a brain tumour, and Lady Di was so distressed, I recall it so well, it was all so sad, Di nursed the little girl as if she was her own kid, she let India to be shown on the Royal Balcony on official duties, and she spoilt the little girl so much til the end, but I'm not sure if it was India or not, this kid was a daughter of some relatives of the Windsor.

India Hicks is still alive. She lives in the Caribbean and is a model. She has never married but she has a long-time partner and children with him.

emily62_1 said:

I'm not sure that Diana really "nursed" this child at all -- since this was during the very bad period of her marriage, and the Romseys were clearly supporters of Prince Charles.

But Diana probably doted on this poor child when she had the opportunity to do so.

Warren said:
The little girl was the Hon Leonora Romsey, the daughter of Lord and Lady Romsey, who died at the age of four from a kidney tumour. She appeared on the balcony of Buckingham Palace in June 1991 and died four months later in October.

Lord Romsey is the eldest son of Countess Mountbatten of Burma. He and his wife, neé Penelope Eastwood, are part of the tight inner circle of the Royal Family, and Lady Romsey is known to be close to The Duke of Edinburgh.

India Hicks is the daughter of Lady Pamela Hicks, the sister of the Countess of Burma.

As an aside, I think it more likely that The Queen determines who appears on the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

well, I recalled the fact, but did not remember the girl's name - thanx.PS- wasn't a brain tumour ? I was very impressed by that little girl.

iowabelle said:
I'm not sure that Diana really "nursed" this child at all -- since this was during the very bad period of her marriage, and the Romseys were clearly supporters of Prince Charles.

But Diana probably doted on this poor child when she had the opportunity to do so.

she did, I'm sure of it, so did Charles.

India Hicks is still very much alive (and beautiful) she was on TV quite a bit not too long ago, she was promoting a book she's written.

Back
Top Bottom