Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Serene Highness

Lady Di and Prince Charles | Last big royal wedding

With 104 photos.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for that.I always love looking at B&W photos from the wedding. Shame some of the links in this thread are dead but overall the main photos are still able to be found on the net.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I made a short time line of the day and some details from the wedding breakfast
Quote:
10:50 am
The Bridegroom arrives At St.Paul's Cathedral and is greeted by the Dean, The Chapter, the bishop of London and the Archbishop of Canterbury, then moves into Dean's Aisle

10:55am
The Bride's arrival is greeted by trumpet fanfare. With her father at her side she walks down the aisle

11:00am
The Marriage Service

12:10pm
The Royal Couple emerge from St.Paul's Cathedral

12:20pm
The Carriage Procession of the Royal Couple leaves for Buckingham Palace

12:25pm
The Queen's Carriage Procession leaves for Buckingham Palace

1:15pm
The Queen, the Bride and Bridegroom and the families of the Royal Couple appear on the balcony at Buckingham Palace

1:40pm
The Royal Family, the Bride's family and close friends retire for the Wedding Breakfast

4:00pm
The Prince and Princess of Wales leave Buckingham Palace by carriage for their honeymoon
Quote:
Charles and Diana’s wedding breakfast was held in tradition, a menu of fresh strawberries and cream, brill in lobster sauce, and supreme de voilaille Princess de Galles which is chicken breast stuffed with a fine lamb mousse.While there was naturally a beautiful and edible wedding cake on the wedding breakfast menu there were also a multitude of wedding cakes that were lining the walls that were sent as tokens of good fortune from bakers around the globe.
There were about 20 wedding cakes adorning a side room, presents from bakers across the country. Those were just for show.
More Here: Affairs to Remember : People.com

Quote:
"The bridal group then lined up in the Throne room for photographs. Lord Lichfield had put a chart on the wall. We had to find our numbers then stand on the spot marked on the floor. I looked and looked but my name wasn't there. Everyone was in position but I was on the sidelines, on the verge of tears, until someone found a place for me. That's why I'm no smiling much."
But Sarah-Jane relished the once-in-a-lifetime chance to gaze down from the Palace Balcony at the thousands of cheering well-wishers below and listening to their chants of "We want Charlie" We want Di."
Afterwards, in the Ball Supper Room, we children weren't interested in the Supreme de Volaille Princesse de Galles, but were thrilled that it came with chips. Strawberries and cream followed, which we liked even more.
More Here: sarahjanegaselee
Quote:
At last — the wedding breakfast. God knows why it’s referred to as such, because, in fact, it is a lunch. We had brill in lobster sauce, chicken stuffed with lamb mousse and *strawberries and cream.
Being royal, Charles had not one, but two best men. Princes Andrew and Edward made speeches, light and witty, just as you would imagine brothers to be on a wedding day.
As soon as the cake had been cut, Diana, her sisters, Sarah, the smaller bridesmaids and I disappeared upstairs to help the princess change into her going-away outfit.
More Here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1345229/Princess-Margaret-nightie-sweets-Queen-Tonga-Diana-singing-Just-One-Cornetto-A-royal-bridesmaids-VERY-surprising-big-day.html#ixzz1AQITMgG0

Quote:
I had the great honor of serving at the prince and princess's table. Like the rest of the household staff, I wore the full state ceremonial dress, a scarlet jacket embossed with gold. It weighs five to six pounds, so maneuvering in it is difficult. Even though the princess had unhooked her train, I was fearful that I would tread on her dress when I served her, or spill something. But neither happened. She hardly ate a thing. The nerves of the occasion were too much. - Paul Burrell
More Here: Affairs to Remember : People.com

Quote:
The wedding breakfast lasted from noon till 4pm but Diana, Charles and the rest of the immediate family didn't join the guests till sometime after 1:40pm possibly around 1:53pm if I've done my math correctly. I timed it with my DVD and the balcony appearance was about 13 minutes long. In the official broadcast on BBC Lord Litchfield said he was only given about half an hour to take the photos after they had left the balcony. Again they first appeared on the balcony at around 1:10pm Apparently the carriage arrived at BP at about 12:37pm

Here you will find the official wedding program, wedding breakfast booklet and ceremonial booklet

ROYAL WEDDING 1981 | Princess Diana Book Boutique
Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Thank ghost_night554. You made a good work.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Aristocracy

wedding dress question

I recently saw a video of Princess Diana's wedding dress being uncrated. the train was seperate and showed 2 ties. the gentleman explaining the dress said the train attaches here, at the same time they show pictures of the wedding. he also said she would have detached the train so she could have moved more freely after the wedding. I have a picture of the wedding party standing on the balcony and it is from behind showing the train is still attached to the dress. My questions are...how does the train attach to her dress? i have looked at hundreds of pictures and i can see the straps or ties. also does anyone know if she did detach the train after the wedding?

TIA for stopping by.

Ann
Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Heir Apparent

She did, Mr. Burrell mentions it here:
Quote:
Even though the princess had unhooked her train, I was fearful that I would tread on her dress when I served her
Affairs to Remember : People.com
Old 01-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness

Thank ghost_night554 for sharing it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:52 AM
Heir Apparent

I found another interesting tidbit in the book. In William and Kate's thread I had asked if the royal couple have their own private photo album of photos not published to the public- I guess if you read on, they do!

Royal pursuit: the palace, the press ... - Google Books(link to quote since I don't have the actual book)
Quote:
"Lord Litchfield was given the prestigious job- though he fell down slightly by inadvertently including for public distribution a wedding day picture that Prince Charles had wished to retain for his own private album-it is the one where he bends low to kiss the outstretched hand of his bride"
Is this the one they're referring to? If so, he's bending down not to kiss Diana's hand but to kiss Diana herself. Or atleast that's what I think cause I don't see Diana holding out her hand like the description says.

Link to picture:http://images1.fanpop.com/images/pho...36-550-387.jpg
Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Aristocracy

thank you ghost, i think i am going to have to get this book and read it. i also dont remember a picture of her out stretched hand being kissed, maybe they were able to get the picture back before it was published?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Another tidbit in Diana: The portrait Lord Litchfield speaks about how he did not attend the wedding breakfast(aka lunch) so obviously he never took any professional photos from that part of the wedding which is why none were ever released. He actually speaks about how he had to run down and develop the wedding portraits and that's why he missed the lunch the Queen hosted. He also mentions how he took some of the more candid photos throughout the day and also mentions a photo he took of Charles with his best man of which we obviously have never seen. As for the mystery photo it could be possible that they managed to pull the photo Charles wanted for his private album before it was distributed worldwide or it could also be an error on the author's part. It also mentions her dad took many photos of the crowds on the day of the wedding.

To bethaliz6894 if you do get the book will you let us know if anymore info about this mystery photo is given or any other info relative to the wedding. Thank you in advance!
See post below this one for scans from the book, Diana: The Portrait.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Alright here are the scans I have to tell you when the makeup artist says when she wasn't being seen camera Diana was with "other photographers" I'm assuming she meant Lord Lichfield cause there were no other official photographers well atleast that we know of otherwise I dunno who she meant cause she specifically says" when Diana wasn't being seen on camera (as in tv camera)...." and all the other times that(unofficial) photographers were present on that day she was also being seen on (tv) camera at the same time. She also mentions he took "behind the scenes photos of her getting ready" sadly the only ones we do have of her getting ready is the one in the Throne Room of them touching up her makeup just prior to the photoshoot.Also one of her bridesmaid as well as Lord Lichfield speaks about the famous photo of them on the floor as well as the rest he took.
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 42227
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 89210
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 48775
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 29079
imgPlace.com - Image Hosting - Free Image Hosting - Free Image Uploading - image 89423
©Diana: The Portrait

I dunno how reliable this book but seems like Charles and Diana left for their honeymoon and didn't personally choose the wedding portraits to be released to public domain unlike Fergie and Andrew
Quote:
He was even annoyed at Patrick Lichfield, the Queen's cousin, for having taken a candid shot of the royal wedding party that he sold around the world. "He never even submitted the pictures to the Queen," Charles grumbled
The Royals - Google Books
Seems like he not only didn't like the fact his favourite photo was released bu also the candid shot....

Also this one says he had 40 mins to do group shots but he himself said on BBC on the morning of the wedding he had about 30 minutes to do the whole session
Quote:
official wedding party photographs were being organized in very little time and under great duress by Patrick Lichfield, ... the family groups in the forty minutes allotted to him, and on to the portraits of Charles and Diana alone.
Diana, Princess of Wales: a biography - Google Books
Now I'm working on composing video of all the alternative angles to the original BBC broadcast.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Royal wedding cake on display in Christchurch
Royal wedding cake on display in Christchurch - Newstalk ZB
Old 01-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Now I'm working on composing video of all the alternative angles to the original BBC broadcast.
I would love to see that video, it is going to be awesome. in regards to kitty kelly's book, i am not sure much in that book is true. Some of the stuff in that book totally shocked me and i was left thinking, "not in this world would that happen"
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I've heard her books are very controversial so that's why I took it with a grain of salt but I do wonder if Litchfield made it back in time before they left for their honeymoon cause he did say development of photos back then was about 3 to 4 hours to long. And if my calculation is correct he musta finished the shoot around 2pm and the couple left at 4pm. I also do wonder about the mystery photo it very much puzzles me I'm still inclined to beleive it was a descrption error on the author's part. I shall definitely post it when I'm done with it, last night I finished the conversions now I just have to piece everything together and upload it.

Alright checked my dvd for confirmation cause I realized all this time I've been saying the photoshoot session was 30 mns long but I never really did go back and check that he 100% had said 30 mins and not 40 mins I was just drawing from recollection. I hadn't watched my dvd in a while. So I can now confirm 100% and straight from the BBC broadcast that Lord Lichfield says he has half an hour to take the official portraits which will be taken right after they step off the balcony. He then goes on to say he has name cards which will tell each individual where to stand he says he will finish those off later in the morning he also says he will start off with the largest group and keep going till he gets to the individual photos of Diana. He also speaks about the whistle he will use to keep everyone in order. So I dunno where they got the 40 mins from but in another book I did read he has cameras taking all at the same time from 5 different angles. Thought tbh if you look at the portraits it certainly doesn't look like they're taken from 5 different angles. He also says he wants to sneak in a few informal poses.

In the People Magazine article entitled "Good Show" written about a week prior to the wedding they said Diana and Charles would cut the cake at 1:00pm which could be true because there was some sort of gap from 12:37pm when they arrive to 1:10pm when they appeared onto the balcony.
http://www.people.com/people/archive...079899,00.html

Also I don't remember if it was Kitty Kelly's book or a different one but it mentions Charles wanted the wedding to be at the Abbey not St. Paul's though if I recall correctly Charles mentioned how he specifically always wanted to marry at St. Paul's so I doubt that's true.

Ahh here's the quote:
Quote:
Prince Charles chose St. Paul's Cathedral rather than Westminster Abbey because the fine accoustics would enhance the music he wanted played.
and here's the other one, though it seems I was wrong I think they are talking about Prince Phillip not Prince Charles

Quote:
He was stifling his own annoyance that the wedding had not taken place in Westminster Abbey
http://books.google.ca/books?id=zpyf...=0CEAQ6AEwBTgK

Alright now this description definitely matches the picture we have:
Quote:
Resulting from Lichfield's suggestion to Charles that he might lean towards the seated Diana, the striking fairytale image dominates the first six spreads in Life magazine's Scenes from a Marriage: the Story of a Love that Didn 't Last
http://images1.fanpop.com/images/pho...36-550-387.jpg
From the book:
The British journal of photography

Alright this is interesting...
Quote:
and the five-foot high wedding cake, baked by navy cooks at Chatham, was cut, using Prince Charles's naval sword.
Quote:
Charles cut the cake with his ceremonial sword, Andrew proposed a toast, Charles replied, and Diana had her first taste of Navy rum, added to the wedding cake at her husband's special request. Whether or not it was the Navy rum at work,
The Princess of Wales - Google Books
From the same book....
They opened champagne.
Also that same book says unlike Fergie who's wedding breakfast took place in the State Dining Room Diana and Charles held it in the Ball Supper Room

Another funny quote:
Quote:
At the wedding breakfast afterwards at Buckingham Palace, Edward and Andrew stood at the door with football rattles and took it in turns to ... Later they teased Diana for calling Prince Charles 'Philip' during the wedding ceremony.
Prince Edward

VERY strange considering Sarah says in her book she was told "toasts" were not traditional at a wedding breakfast. These are her exact words
Quote:
"At one point we raised a glass , yet no one made a toast, for that was not traditional! "
Prince Andrew and Sarah Ferguson, July 1986

I wonder if Patrick Lichfield was at the ceremony though when introducing him the BBC announcer said "he's got something else to do today" and Patrick himself said he would be at the palace later in the morning finishing up last minute details for the photo session.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Diana’s Wedding Dress Continues To Inspire U.S. Fans
Princess Diana’s Wedding Dress Continues To Inspire U.S. Fans | BBCAmerica - Anglophenia blog
Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Serene Highness

ITN Video - Diana's dress designer reminisces
Diana's dress designer reminisces
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Heir Apparent

For clarification I watched back the clip once again and Patrick did not go to the ceremony since as I had assumed he had to prepare for the photo session later in the
afternoon.

A photo gallery
Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer Wedding - Royal Weddings - Royal Wedding Prints - Box Canvas Prints from Media Storehouse
Old 01-30-2011, 02:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Videos:

The alternative angles I had promised:

Streaming Link
http://www.zshare.net/video/859272910d27c483/

Download Link

zSHARE - Dianweddingalternativeangles.wmv

ABC News

ABC.com
July 29, 1981: Prince Charles Marries Lady Diana - ABC News

Playlist of the full wedding broadcast live on BBC
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

BBC News at 6 Broadcast July 29th 1981

Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness

Video ABC - July 29, 1981: Prince Charles Marries Lady Diana
July 29, 1981: Prince Charles Marries Lady Diana - ABC News
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Nobility

Diana is still my favourite princess bride for all time!