The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Aristocracy

Re Diana's dress

the Emanuel's said themselves that they had practiced getting Diana into the coach wearing a toile, or mock up of the finished thing, but they failed to take into account the fact that her father was such a big man. I believed they were horrified when she steped out of the coach at St Pauls and saw how much the dress had creased.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Nobility

Yes, that was a pity about all those creases but luckily they dropped out fairly quickly. The Emanuels also thought that, strangely, the dress's imperfections made it all the more beautiful.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Nobility

Just watched the whole footage of the wedding a week before its 29th anniversary. It brought back some wonderful memories of watching it with my mum when I was 7.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Nobility

I remember watching it. It was my wedding i actually saw, ever. When my king married Silvia i slept according to my parents. In one of the preweddingshows for Victoria they showed a documentury about the wedding and the cermony. I feel ashamed to admitt that i thought it was hillarious when the priest said that they should be fatefull to eachother. But as i watched the photos i also see something else. Diana looked in love, Charles didnt.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Serene Highness

The most gorgeous wedding dresses of all time

The most gorgeous wedding dresses of all time | OneWed.com
Old 07-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Royal Highness

Do You Remember

hope this in the right spot.

for those of us that remember, it was 29 years ago today that charles and diana married. although it didn't turn out so great....i still remember waking up to watch it and how stunning she looked. it was so very "80's".
Old 07-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Courtier

In honor of the English Rose I watched that fairytale wedding again today (not all, but the first part especially), and it was like I was that 14 yr. old young girl again. Ah, what memories...

Twenty-nine years ago today, yet it seems like yesterday after watching it again. :)

Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Nobility

I got up early (1:00am here on the West Coast of Canada) with my mother and my grandmother, who was visiting. We sat in our pyjamas, drinking tea and eating cream cake with fruit we had prepared the day before. Right before Diana went into St. Paul's Cathedral, my grandmother ran and got 3 of my mother's fancy hats (that she wore to weddings etc.), exclaiming that we could not attend this wedding without putting on a hat!

While we all criticize Diana's dress and call it a meringue now, I remember at the time how breathtakingly romantic and lovely we thought it was. She was this beautiful English girl next door who had captured the heart of a prince- or so we thought. Her dress really played up the romanticism of the story and I remember how completely enchanted we were with her. The Archbishop of Canterbury captured it perfectly with the opening of his remarks during the ceremony when he said "This is the stuff of which fairy tales are made".

Youtube has the entire wedding in eight 10-minute sections beginning with Diana's arrival and procession.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Serene Highness

Site with a lot of photos
The Storybook Wedding pictures by dawngallick - Photobucket
Old 07-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Thanks to all for the pictures and videos. Lord, it does seem like the wedding took place just a few days ago instead of 29 yrs. ago.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Royal Highness

The train was too long- and the gown cost 10,000 pounds I think in those days-It was a romatic gown for royalty and Diana had the charm to pull it off. It was not well thought out- and later Diana thought out everything- concerning her clothes.
The only thing I disagreed with was the veil hiding her face.No Bride should cover her face ever.
I knew from day one that the marriage was doomed.I just had a presentiment.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:03 AM
Nobility

I totally disagree with you, Jaya. The train had to be long because anything much shorter would have been dwarfed by the vastness of St Paul's Cathedral. Diana was only 20 when she got married, wasn't she? Therefore the dress had to be romantic enough to appeal to her and yet grand enough to be part of history. The idea behind the veil over the bride's face was to hide her from any evil spirits and/or ex-lovers. After the signing of the registers, Diana's face veil had to be cut off.

As for saying that the marriage was doomed from the start, perhaps such a verdict would only be partly fair as, of course, they had high hopes for their marriage and there were moments of great tenderness and joy.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Serene Highness

The blusher was very popular during the 80s, maybe because of Diana as her gown definitely set the trend for big, puffy gowns for the rest of the decade. Of course, Diana's gown was made from the finest silks and heirloom lace. Compared to the wedding cake creations the rest of the world had to wear, her gown was exquisitely suited for her image, her personality and her venue. Diana's blusher was probably too opaque and thick in its material, so you couldn't see her face. But I still like a blusher on a bride sometimes (Princess Grace pulled it off well); it gives her an air of mystery.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Serene Highness

The first time I saw a bride without a veil was at a royal wedding, I think most British Brides or at least the recent ones wore veils to cover their faces. I think it's nice to walk down the aisle with the face covered but to then pull it back during the vows, but as it was a royal wedding Diana couldn't just pull it back because it would cover the tiara so she had to wait until they got into the deans aisle to get it off. Know I saw an interview somewhere with the Emanuel's where Elizabeth says they didn't cut it off but they made it to it could just be taken off, hmmm I guess I have to look for that video...
Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Royal Highness

I think then you should not say the nose ring is hideous in a Hindu marriage as it is to me anyway- as the veil covering the face reminds me of the Sharia law and I as a feminist dislike it- As for Grace I have no idea what she was thinking and did not like her veiled face- nor did I like Diana's- I think Noor had a healthy approach along with Farah Diba.Letizia in more recent history.In a church and when one enters to marry there are no evil spirits unless invoked. There is a superstition that says as long as the bride's train is her troubles will be- and certainly I am starting to think that Diana had plenty of those-. But if you all liked and still like it fabulous!
Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Serene Highness

I had a veil covering my face for my first and my second weddings, and I was glad for it. Somehow it concealed my face a little during the vows, and when my new husband lifted it to kiss me it was magic!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge View Post
The blusher was very popular during the 80s, maybe because of Diana as her gown definitely set the trend for big, puffy gowns for the rest of the decade. Of course, Diana's gown was made from the finest silks and heirloom lace. Compared to the wedding cake creations the rest of the world had to wear, her gown was exquisitely suited for her image, her personality and her venue. Diana's blusher was probably too opaque and thick in its material, so you couldn't see her face. But I still like a blusher on a bride sometimes (Princess Grace pulled it off well); it gives her an air of mystery.
It was just the way the blusher was gathered to fit onto the tiara that gave it an impression of being opaque. If you were to have the blusher too transparent, you might as well not bother with it at all.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
The first time I saw a bride without a veil was at a royal wedding, I think most British Brides or at least the recent ones wore veils to cover their faces. I think it's nice to walk down the aisle with the face covered but to then pull it back during the vows, but as it was a royal wedding Diana couldn't just pull it back because it would cover the tiara so she had to wait until they got into the deans aisle to get it off. Know I saw an interview somewhere with the Emanuel's where Elizabeth says they didn't cut it off but they made it to it could just be taken off, hmmm I guess I have to look for that video...
I liked it more how Sarah and Sophie had done it. They had the Veil simple over the tiara (which in Sarah's case was covered by a wreath of flowers) and had the Veil thrown back when signing the register and so nothing had to cut out of the Veil.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 07-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I liked it more how Sarah and Sophie had done it. They had the Veil simple over the tiara (which in Sarah's case was covered by a wreath of flowers) and had the Veil thrown back when signing the register and so nothing had to cut out of the Veil.
As you can see here Sarah didn't have the veil over her head flower thingy, and here you see that her veil wasn't covering the tiara, leading one to believe it was either cut or take off during the signing of the registers.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelo View Post
The Archbishop of Canterbury captured it perfectly with the opening of his remarks during the ceremony when he said "This is the stuff of which fairy tales are made".

Youtube has the entire wedding in eight 10-minute sections beginning with Diana's arrival and procession.
Sadly, this was a fairy tale that wouldn't end happily ever after, and it's not hard to see why. Mind you, Diana looked absolutely stunning on her wedding day.