The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like her wedding dress.Of course it has some mistakes,but in general is a fairy tale wedding dress.She is really a beautiful bride

Old 03-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Courtier

I saw Princess Diana's wedding dress at the exhibition in 2004. It was a beautiful wedding dress but I heard it was supposed to be like a fairytale wedding dress. I also saw her shoes, and umbrellla (she never used it), etc. I can't remember what else but my jaw dropped when I saw her wedding dress.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

preparing the wedding dress for display

Old 05-23-2009, 04:23 PM
Aristocracy

the diana and Charles' wedding was the wedding of year. my mother told me that these wonderful wedding was seen all world,
i've seen the diana' dress wedding. it's so beautiful that dress.It's a dream to wear that dress that is a dream.
who was the stylist?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Nobility

Elizabeth and David Emanuel designed the dress. They wrote a book about it. The dress was made in the typical style of the Emanuels, and Diana liked that style of dressing at that time.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I also think Diana had a lot of influence from her mother in that big collared, satelite dish hat look. If you look at what Mrs Shand Kydd wore to the wedding, It's almost interchangeable with what Diana was wearing thoughout the engagement and early years of the marriage.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Nobility

That style of dress was also what young women of the British upper class wore at the time- it was the style of the Sloane Rangers as they were called.So Diana was of her time and place with regards to dressing that way.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
I'm pretty sure the veil was not cut. It seems to me that in many regular weddings the veil is just folded back, but they must have removed her tiara and put the veil folded back under it. Just a guess.

That is a very interesting auction site! I wish I could have found out how much that sign went for.
I read in the book by the Emanuels "A Dress for Diana" that Barbara Daly, the makeup artist for the wedding, carried a small pair of scissors with her to cut off the front part of the veil while the bride and groom were out of sight signing the registers. The job went to Daly because only one "extra" person was allowed to be present at that bit of the ceremony, and the Emanuels felt it should be the makeup artist in case Diana's makeup needed retouching after the long ceremony under hot lightning. The didn't want to risk disarranging the rest of the veil by removing the tiara at that point, so the front layer of the veil was just cut away. (With hindsight, it might have been better if it had been the hairdresser who was there at that time, to do a bit of emergency tonging - poor girl, how she did wilt under all that veil!)
Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Gentry

The wedding as such was lovely but I strongly disagree about the weddingdress. It one of the worst royal weddingsdresses ever. Diana looks like an overdone miserably failed weddingcake. In addition to the lack of style and moderation, the designers (or Diana herself) choose a silk that required an iron all the way up the aisle.

I was really sorry for her, she looked horrible. The designers and the hair dresser should ashamed of themselvs.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I disagree with you.For me, the only mistake of the dress are the sleeves in the high part of the dress ,that might be narrowed,because the low part of the sleeves are beautiful, like those dresses of Marie Antoniette´s time.The bow of the dress is beautiful too ,and she looks beautiful in her wedding dress ,like a fairy tale princess.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Courtier

I have to say I disagree too. I think Princess Diana's wedding dress is lovely and it's like a fairytale. I've seen her wedding dress in person at the Princess Diana's exhibition 5 years ago. I also saw her train and it was very long train.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Nobility

I thought Diana was a stunningly beautiful bride but it was a shame about all those creases in her dress when she stepped out of the carriage at St Paul's Cathedral.
Quote:
Originally Posted by micas View Post
Some 1 can tell me how that facial veil get out? When Diana enter she have the tiara above the veil...so if Charles put the veil back the tiara stay down and that don't hapen...so some1 have pics from that moment or remember or see in some place?
Apparently, that bit had to be cut off.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

What happened was that during the ceremony the couple and their witnesses signed the registry away from the sanctuary and the veil was re-arranged at that point, out of the view of the cameras. The TV crews probably concentrated on a lengthy musical performance at that point in time so as not to leave the viewers with nothing to look at.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

This is probably a dumb question but do the British Royals usually take their first kiss at church cause I noticed Charles and Diana didn't but I think Peter and Autumn did I can't member about Edward and Andrew.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I think if we want to talk "traditional", it's not traditional for the BRF to have a kiss. Charles and Diana broke tradition with the kiss on the balcony, Andrew and Sarah repeated it.

Since Edward didn't get married near BP, there wasn't the balcony kiss... but I'm not sure if there was a kiss elsewhere that was recorded (my guess is no).

IMO kissing in public is more for the pleasure of the public than for any other reason (as far as the BRF go). It's probably a matter for the individual couples to decide.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:33 AM
Nobility

As Charles and Edward got married in different eras, attitudes weren't the same as they are today.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the links Zubiaur.

It truly was the wedding of the century.