The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

It would be nice to see a set of photos like the ones released for Willem and Maxima and Constantijn and Laurentien before their wedding. There was a wide variety and range to them.

Old 04-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Courtier

They're getting some great stuff, thanks for the pictures!
About the castle, will they own it, or have exclusive rights to use it/live in it? And is this a summer home/castle or a main living area? Didn't Frederik already get a castle?

Old 04-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Nobility

The Queen has the right of liberty of Amalienbrog Palace, parts of Christiansborg Castle, Sorgenfri Castle, Graasten Castle, and the hunting seat of Erimitagen. Marselisborg Castle, the hunting lodge at Trend, and Château de Caïx in France are privately owned. Schackenborg Castle is also private, being owned by Prince Joachim. The prince took over Schackenborg Castle at the age of nine from the last Count Schack, who was childless.

Amalienbrog Palace is the Queens official residence. Amalienborg Palace consists of four palaces: Christian VII Palace, Christian VIII Palace, Christian IX Palace, and Frederik VIII Palace. All four palaces are arranged around a statue of Frederik V, the king who initiated the works on Amalienborg Palace. The palaces were all built between 1750 and 1760. The kings and queens of Denmark bought the palaces in 1794 and started using them as their residences after a fire engulfed Christiansborg Castle.

Graasten Castle is a wedding present the Queen gave to her son and future daughter-in-law. Graasten Castle will be the summer residence of the Crown Prince and Princess. Once they become husband and wife, the Crown Prince and Princess, will temporarily reside in Fredensborg Castle until renovations are complete in Christian VII Palace.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Royal Highness

I'll gladly take some of that stuff off their hands :P

Really, I wonder what they do with it all? I'm sure half of it is probably never used. Do they just keep it, donate it, give it to others, stick it in a storage shed.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Courtier

That's a good question Gabriella. I'm sure stuff like dishes, furniture (if it's not too outrageous) can be used in one of their homes. But other things, well, not so much.
I wonder what's the most outlandish gift they'll recieve?
Old 04-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Nobility

The people of Denmark gave Frederik and Mary porcelain china. In 1995, the people of Denmark gave Joachim and Alexandra 13 million DKK. The couple used the money to renovate their official residence, Schackenborg Castle.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Courtier

Something just seems odd about that...
The second in line gets money, the Crown Prince gets dishes?
Old 04-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Nobility

There's nothing odd about that. The Crown Prince won't need the money once he becomes King.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Courtier

True enough, but, still. (I'm the oldest in my family, and I'd feel odd if my sister got a very nice amount of money, and I got dishes. Of course, I am a klutz, so that could have something to do with my bias).
Old 04-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Nobility

I doubt the Crown Prince would feel odd. Besides, he and his bride-to-be will have many castles at their disposal, especially once they become King and Queen. His little brother, on the other hand, will probably own just one castle - Schackenborg Castle.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireweaver@Apr 4th, 2004 - 9:43 pm
Something just seems odd about that...
The second in line gets money, the Crown Prince gets dishes?
I agree. That does seem odd. I'd probably feel a little cheated if that was me.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Aristocracy

What did Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra get from the Queen as their wedding gift?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Nobility

I don't know what the Queen gave to her youngest son and future daughter-in-law. I do know that she gave her future daughter-in-law, Alexandra, a tiara and a five row cultured pearl necklace with a sapphire pendant. The tiara was once worn by the Queen's grandmother, Queen Alexandrine, and by the Queen herself. The necklace was once given to the Queen as a present. The Queen's husband, Prince Henrik, gave his future daughter-in-law a diamond and sapphire brooch. For their first wedding anniversary, Prince Joachim, gave his wife a diamond necklace with a big south sea pearl.

The Queen gave her future daughter-in-law, Mary, a gold diamond and pearl bracelet. This present was given to the Queen from her grandmother, Queen Alexandrine. Prince Henrik gave his future daughter-in-law a necklace that consisted of two rows of cultured pearls - one emerald green and one white. With a diamond and sapphire lock. Crown Prince Frederik gave his future wife a five row cultured pearl necklace with an aquamarine pendant. She was also given a pair of diamond hoop earrings with aquamarine and diamond pendants.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Nobility

i read somewhere that grassten castle is owned by the danish state and can hence never be 'given as a present' to anyone. however, what the queen can do is 'allow' whomever to live in it. apparently she once expressed her wish that the relatively little lived in castle would be populated by the CP and his future family.

can somone confirm this? thats how i remember it.
definately, the CP does not own the castle in the sense prince joachim owns his. thats complete nonesense. like with so many things (jewels, houses, etc.) the things are 'borrowed' by the royal family, they dont 'own' them legally, but have sole right to use them.

i think the dutch royal website explains this quite well.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:00 AM
Nobility

As I said in my earlier post, "The Queen has the right of liberty of Amalienbrog Castle, parts of Christiansborg Castle, Sorgenfri Castle, Graasten Castle, and the hunting seat of Erimitagen." This means that these castles are owned by the Danish state. Graasten Castle is an 'unofficial wedding present' from the Queen to her son and future daughter-in-law. Prince Joachim, however, inherited Schackenborg Castle from the Danish count Schack.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Nobility

The lamps are wedding presents from towns in the South of Jutland. The man standing next to one of the lamps is the Mayor of Graasten, Bendt Olesen. A similar gift was presented to the late queen mother, Queen Ingrid, for her 90th birthday.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Nobility

The party was held at Fredensborg Castle. This castle will be the official residence of the Crown Prince and Princess until renovations are complete in Christian VII Palace.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Aristocracy

{Removed response to deleted post - Elspeth}

Do you have more information about the Wedding Party?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Serene Highness

I heard that Kylie Minogue has been asked to perform?
Surely there is a better representative of Australian talent than the "Singing Budgerigar"?
Old 04-07-2004, 12:14 AM
Nobility

I don't know much about the party. Sorry.