The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The groom's name was Mr Antony Armstrong-Jones, and he was created Earl of Snowdon and Viscount Linley before his wedding. He was never Lord Anthony since his father wasn't a duke or an earl.

Looking forward to the pictures!
Strictly speaking, the correction should have read that he couldn't be Lord Anthony because he wasn't the son of a duke or a marquess. The courtesy title of the son of an earl would never take the form Lord + first name. The eldest son would be known by the earl's subsidiary peerage title and the younger sons as the Honourable + first name + surname.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

These are from Hola.com:

Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

The tiara was made by the prestigious jewellers Garrards, in 1870, especially for Lady Poltimore, wife of Queen Victoria's treasurer.

Old 06-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Gentry

Elsa, thank you for all the pictures... they are so cute!!
Old 06-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1043590
Strictly speaking, the correction should have read that he couldn't be Lord Anthony because he wasn't the son of a duke or a marquess. The courtesy title of the son of an earl would never take the form Lord + first name. The eldest son would be known by the earl's subsidiary peerage title and the younger sons as the Honourable + first name + surname.
Thanks for pointing that out; of course I meant duke or Marquess (I also meant Antony, not Anthony) - obviously a day when I was posting without having my brain engaged.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Serene Highness

Wow! Princess Margaret was soo beautiful bride! Thank you for posting!
Old 06-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Margaret was a truly beautiful bride. Everything was in place, beautiful, stylish dress and veil, makeup perfect, hair perfect. but I am sorry, I don't think she looked over the moon happy on her wedding day. She didn't glow the way most brides do. In fact, the only time she ever looked really happy as an adult in pictures was when she was with her children. To me, her eyes always looked so sad and she had the MOST incredible eyes.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Nobility

Princess Margaret was very beautiful as a bride. But I agree that she did not look happy, on her wedding day or after. It would be interesting to look at old pictures of weddings to see which brides looked really happy, and then compare that to how things turned out. I think you can tell a lot by the bride's happiness but sometimes you are surprised--look at Alexandra and Joachim, they were happy, but their marriage failed.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Gentry

but i thought she looked really happy on her wedding day
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 AM

Cool Princess Margaret and Antony Armstrong-Jones

I hadn't seen these photos in such a long time and I had never realised how much Viscount Linley looks like his father. I had always thought he resembled his mother but now can definitely see his father.

Jannygai
Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannygai View Post
I hadn't seen these photos in such a long time and I had never realised how much Viscount Linley looks like his father. I had always thought he resembled his mother but now can definitely see his father.

Jannygai
Yeah Viscount Linley takes after his father, Lord Snowdon alot. I think the same applied to Lady Sarah Chatto. Looking at their facial expressions, you can not say much or little of Princess Margaret, just like a copy of Lord Snowdon, i think.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 10-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Aristocracy

Princess Margaret's wedding look stands the test of time-- (so much so that her daughter-in-law copied the look 35 years later) She is truly the most beautiful bride I have ever seen...
Old 10-21-2007, 10:06 PM
Royal Highness

This question shows my ignorance, but who gave Princess Margaret away? Was it Prince Phillip?

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 10-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Aristocracy

Yes he did
Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Aristocracy

Guestlist

What about the guestlist?

Did any representatives from the European or other Royal Houses take part at the ceremony?
I know that many European royals thoght that the groom was not 'good' enough for a queen's sister!

Times have changed since that....
Old 11-16-2007, 04:27 PM
Courtier

My memory tells me that I have read somewhere that Margaret deliberately chose such a simple wedding dress. In comparision to other members of the royal family, it *was* a simple dress but perhaps an elaborate one would not have suited her (or what she was truly feeling at the time, perhaps we will never know that).
After all, her life with Antony Armstrong-Jones (starting from their engagement) was not completely built on sincerity or true love. For legend has it (and I tend to assume it's true) she decided to marry Antony A-J on the same day that she received a letter from Grp. Cpt. Peter Townsend in which he announced his own engagement.
And I don't know if that is me since I am very interested in the Margaret/Peter saga, but I always get a second best-feeling when I think of her wedding. Her true love was taken away from her and there were no real other suitors than the photographer. My guess is that with the departure of Peter Townsend from Margaret's life, her chance at true happiness was gone and that explains the sad look she's had in her eyes since then (even though she is supposed to have been very happy in the first years of her marriage).
Old 11-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Aristocracy

According to one of the Princess's biographies---most of the Royal Houses of Europe did not attend the wedding. They were invited, but declined.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Royal Highness

i noticed that the photos Mandy posted all have the initials "MW" on them. are these your initials Mandy or are they Margaret's and the photos from a private collector?

also, i agree with Rice about her daughter in law copying the dress, it's a wonderful compliment. margaret was a beautiful bride and i think with her looks she didn't need a dramatic gown...the simplicity was perfect for her.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
margaret was a beautiful bride and i think with her looks she didn't need a dramatic gown...the simplicity was perfect for her.
That's indeed something to notice and I must admit I haven't looked at it that way. When it comes purely to looks, I think that Margaret eclipsed Elizabeth (the same thing has been written in Hello! Magazine's tribute to her when she had passed away).
Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
That's indeed something to notice and I must admit I haven't looked at it that way. When it comes purely to looks, I think that Margaret eclipsed Elizabeth (the same thing has been written in Hello! Magazine's tribute to her when she had passed away).
I agree-Margaret was definitely the more glamorous sister, but I am sure that is part and parcel to the fact that she was the "spare". She was the indulged child because she wouldn't inherit the throne (or so I've seen it written in her biographies)
Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Nobility

Margaret was the more beautiful of the two. I think the Queen was more cute on her wedding day and Margaret was stunning, but Margaret had darker skin because she was always in the sun in Mustique. But Margaret was the prettiest of the two.

Tags
anthony armstrong-jones, armstrong-jones, london, princess margaret, viscount linley, wedding