Princess Madeleine of Sweden and Christopher O'Neill: June 8, 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Madeleine is wearing a green bow in her hair. What is the meaning?

It's myrten. Don't know the english word for that plant, sorry.

When the kings grandmother Margret married our king and moved to Sweden, she brought a plant of myrten with her. It's been nurtured ever since those days, and it's tradition that all royal brides in Sweden wear some myrten in their hair.

It's myrten. Don't know the english word for that plant, sorry.

When the kings grandmother Margret married our king and moved to Sweden, she brought a plant of myrten with her. It's been nurtured ever since those days, and it's tradition that all royal brides in Sweden wear some myrten in their hair.

In English i think it is called myrtle :)

I simply focused on the bride and groom it was their wedding. Estelle was a guest like everyone else just a very cute one.

Disney songs

Chris looks head over heels in love IMO, Madeleine is more in control.

Yeeej, another Disney-ish song :ermm:. oooooeeeeooeeeooeeeee when I saw your face... why?

Thelady at on the 3rd row at Chris' family side (next to the orange turban) has a serious tiara...

Yes, I'm with you, Marengo. This is a beautiful wedding...but, I can't stand trite songs. I was going to say at weddings. But, actually, I just can't stand trite songs, ever. :flowers:

It appears from the photos that Princess Charlene is not wearing any jewelry at all. Perhaps there was a mishap with her belongings. Even if she would have chosen no tiara, she would normally wear earrings.

Where are all of these pictures that everyone is seeing and I am not?

Madeleine is so beautiful that would be impossible to her looking bad in her wedding day. However, I was expecting a different dress, not a romantic type like this one. And I was expecting the Cameo tiara too just to see how it would like on Madde.
Chris was so happy, so in love, it was very touching.
I think the service was too short but at the same time it was better than William and Kate wedding and all those songs and lectures. Here in Brazil the services are short too (sometimes really short).

Haha in contrast, I will be disappointed if it was not a romantic dress. And I think it fit perfectly my vision of how Madeleine should look like as a bride. Love her make-up, she is so beautiful. Glad she did not wear the Cameo, I do not like the tiara prior to this and I always think Madeleine is more modern for the Cameo.

In English i think it is called myrtle :)

Don't the British royal brides carry myrtle in their bouquets too? Is this something that one of Queen Victoria's decedents brought to Sweden?

It appears from the photos that Princess Charlene is not wearing any jewelry at all. Perhaps there was a mishap with her belongings. Even if she would have chosen no tiara, she would normally wear earrings.

I don't think there was a mishap she has gone to events with no jewelry not even earrings before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't the British royal brides carry myrtle in their bouquets too? Is this something that one of Queen Victoria's decedents brought to Sweden?

I thought that too. I remember something about a myrtle plant being in one of the palaces and Royal brides have it in their bouquet's.

I am happy for Madeleine and Chris, I can clearly see that they are in love.

Looks like the carriage possession is about to get under way.

I thought that too. I remember something about a myrtle plant being in one of the palaces and Royal brides have it in their bouquet's.

Don't know about the brittish royal brides, but when queen Ingrid (who was a swedish princess) married king Christian, she brougt part of the myrtle bush with her to Denmark. So danish royal brides also wear a piece of myrtle from the same plant. Don't know where in Sweden it's beeing kept these days.

Loved Lilian's Tiara on Victoria, nice gesture from her, that way their aunt is also at the wedding (including necklace and brooch)!

Maybe we'll see the Pink Tourmaline Tiara at the Nobels? I'm dying to see it.

Ok,they're outside again, posing for pictures. The first complete view of the dress that I saw, don't like the lower part of the dress, reminds me of the dress of Sybilla of Luxembourg, though a lace version and less horrible.

I loved Lilian's jewels on Victoria too, and is Madeleine wearing a bracelet of Lilian (as was said in the Swedish press)?

I wonder why the princess of Monaco actually has the Ocean tiara. She has only worn it once... is it still property of the jeweler perhaps and only used for promotion?

Stockholm really is a beautiful city btw.

Mette-Marit is having fun with prince Daniel, the royalsare coming out to go to the bus / boat. Princess Charlene looks a bit lost.

It seems to get clouded, I hope it won't start raining.

Last edited:
I love this wedding!!!!
victoria and estelle are so so so sweet!
the best mary and mette marit!!
and sophie wessex really look loverly!

no official photos yet?

A few things that I wasn't crazy about:.

1.) I don't see the need for the non-religious, Disney-esque romantic songs being sung at the Church ceremony. I didn't like it at Victoria's wedding and I didn't like them today
2.) Frankly, and I already know that I'm probably in the minority with this opinion, but I didn't think it was appropriate to bring 1 1/2 y.o. Estelle into Church. The focus should be on the bride, not a toddler who will one day be Queen and have plenty of her own big days!
3.) Why on God's good earth did the TV cameras focus on those violinists at the end of the ceremony and COMPLETELY MISSED Madeleine and Chris bowing to the King??????

ITA!! :flowers:

Not only did some of those song lyrics verge on inappropriate, but there is nothing more awkward than being sung to! You just sort of stand there and wait it out.

I have never liked having young children at weddings. Estelle behaved fairly well, but what was the point of having a toddler there?
If it truly was Madeleine's wish, I believe she should have thought again!
(But I suspect Victoria and Daniel are doting parents who wanted to bring her; there's a lot of those! And Madeleine decided not to make a fuss in the interest of family peace).

Ah, I just found some info about the myrtle on the royal website.
Brudens kläder - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Quick translation: Princess Margret, who married Gustav Adolf in 1905, in S:t Georges chapel at Windsor Castle, brought a myrtle bush to Sweden. It grew, and was first kept and nurtured at Sofieros castle. These days it's kept at Ulriksdals castle. A branch from this particular bush has since 1935 been part of the royal brides boquets or in their hair. Princess Ingrid, who married the danish crown prince in 1935, brought a stickling (part of the plant) to her new homeland. Since then the danish royal family maintain the same tradition as the swedish, with myrtle from princess Margrets original plant.

Ah, I just found some info about the myrtle on the royal website.
Brudens kläder - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Quick translation: Princess Margret, who married Gustav Adolf in 1905, in S:t Georges chapel at Windsor Castle, brought a myrtle bush to Sweden. It grew, and was first kept and nurtured at Sofieros castle. These days it's kept at Ulriksdals castle. A branch from this particular bush has since 1935 been part of the royal brides boquets or in their hair. Princess Ingrid, who married the danish crown prince in 1935, brought a stickling (part of the plant) to her new homeland. Since then the danish royal family maintain the same tradition as the swedish, with myrtle from princess Margrets original plant.

Princess Margret was Victoria's granddaughter, so, am wondering if this is a tradition that Victoria started.

So Madeleine and Chris didn't come to the balcony to meet people, only a few could see them when they came out of the Chapel?

The Grand Old Ladies, Countesses Gunilla and Marianne Bernadotte, 90 and 88 years
http://s20.postimg.org/z4ncf7inx/gunmar.jpg

Last edited:
A nice 36 pic gallery from BT, including the triumphant kiss: Se billederne: Eventyrbryllup i Sverige | www.bt.dk

Two large pics of Mary and Frederik: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/492/6/6492508-sweden-royalwedding.jpg

And Mette-Marit with her Haakon: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/files-dk/node-images/492/6/6492509-sweden-royals-marriage.jpg

Three videos from the wedding, so far: VIDEO: Se højdepunkter fra prinsessebrylluppet | Nyheder | DR

Top: Guests arriving. - I see Mary also brought an adjutant.

Middle: The actual marriage.

Bottom: The kiss upon leaving the church.

The crowds seem very quiet to me.

Last edited:
gosh those clouds look menacing to want to rain soon!

So Madeleine and Chris didn't come to the balcony to meet people, only a few could see them when they came out of the Chapel?

The Grand Old Ladies, Countesses Gunilla and Marianne Bernadotte, 90 and 88 years
http://s20.postimg.org/z4ncf7inx/gunmar.jpg

I guess people have an opportunity to see them now, during the carriage ride.

I didn't see a picture of countess Marianne, but countess Gunilla really looks great for her age!

ZDF seems obsessed with Jenny Alexanderson (Swedish royal reporter) btw. Why I don't know because she never said anything remotely interesting.

Back
Top Bottom