Princess Irene of The Netherlands & Prince Carlos-Hugo of Bourbon-Parma: Apr 29, 1964

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There were slightly more protestants than catholics in the country in 1960, though the protestants were divided in the Dutch Reformed, Remonstrant, Reformed, Lutheran etc. churches. Most people that were 'unreligious' were originally from protestant families too.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religie_in_Nederland#Historisch_verloop_nationaal

I don't think HM had to decide for herself. The government did that for her, and quite rightly so. They didn't want the Dutch RF/ country to be accociated in any way with Carlism.

---------------

The Bourbons behaved horribly throughout the matter btw. They were reluctant to cooperate with the government and Dutch court. A reconstruction from these websites:

Het Marathoninterview -> Afleveringen -> De zaak Irene -> Items -> De verloving en het huwelijk
and
http://www.thedutchroyalfamily.nl/2010/11/spraakmakende-koninklijkeliefdes-deel-1.html

On January 27th the princess gave an interview to newspaper the 'Telegraaf', in which she asks for understanding of Spain's social policies. She says she is impressed but forgets to mention the repression under the fascist regime. The interview is met with furious reactions in the Netherlands. Newspaper 'Parool' calls the princess 'naive'. The prime minister was not notified about the interview (as he should be, due to the ministerial responsibility), in the end the Dutch ambassador in Madrid is blamed for the interview.

On the 29th of January rumours about a conversion of the princess pop up. The RVD calls the rumours 'nonsense'. But a day later a photograph (made by Jaime Penafiel) appeared of Princess Irene praying in a catholic church in Spain. Vice Prime Minister Biesheuvel doesn't know what to do, and the Prime Minister Marijnen is on a skiing holiday. Biesheuvel informs the counsil of ministers and the prime minister immidiately returns to The Hague.

Reactions werer furious again. For example in the village St. Maartensdijk they immidiately removed the name 'Irene' from the school that carried her name. Most protestants were understanding of her conversion, but that it was done in secret was unacceptable to most. The princess also did not notify the government, while due to the ministerial responsibility they are responsible for everything she says or does. But the matter that was hurtful to most protestants was that the princess had to be re-baptised. Cardinal Alfrink was not sure if he should re-baptise the princess (2nd of January in Rome), but the ultra catholic Bourbon-Parma family absolutely insisted on it. The cardinal was too intimidated to call the palace for advice and yielded to the pressures of the Bourbons.

After his return, the prime minister visited Queen Juliana, and he was informed about the engagement plans between Irene and CH. The prime minister formed a quartet of four ministers from different political parties. They wanted to announce the engagement as soon as possible, so the press wouldn't discover it first. The family of Carlos Hugo (in Paris) refused to cooperate with this plan as they wanted to wait for the right moment that they could announce the engagement in Spain to maximal effect. After this the RF left for Innsbruck to attend the winter Olympics.

The quartet of politicians agree that princess Irene should renounce the rights to the throne, as it is impossible to have succession rights to the Dutch ánd Spanish throne at the same time. This was much to the surprise of the Bourbon family.

On February 4th the RF hastily returns from Austria and Queen Juliana announced on the radio that Princess Irene notified her family that the engagement would not proceed (the public & press still didn't know the identity of the man in Irene's life). The same evening Prime Minister Marijnen gives a press conference and still refuses to reveal the identity of the man in question.

Prince Bernhard travels to Paris to meet the Bourbons. Prime Minister Marijnen talks to Carlos Hugo and tries to explain him the democratic values of the Dutch state. One of them was that you could not have ambitions at the Spanish throne (as a Carlist) and be married to a Dutch princess with succession rights. CH didn't understand it.

On February 8th prince Bernhard traveled by plane to Madrid to collect his daughter and Carlos Hugo. Much to the surprise of the Dutch government, CH announced the engagement on the Spanish radio before Bernhard arrived, without consulting the Dutch government & RF. Irene does the same shortly after arrival around midnight in the Netherlands. The prime minister sends a letter to parlament, in which he said that the princess will not ask for permission to marry and will thus lose her succession rights.

A day later the couple gives a press conference. In the following days the duke and duchess of Parma & two of their daughters arrive in the Netherlands. There is also a special reception at the counsil of ministers, where the prime minister gives a toast. This is followed by an interview at Huis ten Bosch palace.

Two months later the couple gets married in Rome, although the Dutch prime minister previously announced that the wedding would take place in The Netherlands. CH and his family however decided that they wanted a grand wedding in Rome, by the pope. The pope refuses, and only blesses them after the ceremony. The Dutch government is relieved as they feared that the carlists would use the wedding to hold demonstrations in the Netherlands.

I think that between the engagement and the wedding there still was the state visit to Mexico. Princess Irene was supposed to join her parents and elder sister but much to their surprise she did not join them on the airport. During the absence of the royal couple it was said that the Bourbon-Parma's took over Soestdijk Palace, where they misbehaved. It was even said that Princess Margriet had to call the local police in Baarn (not likely, but still....it shows that the family was considered horrible and CH's sisters were seen as the wicked step sisters from Cinderella).

So after all the drama and the irrisponsible behavior of princess Irene and the Bourbon-Parma clan, it isn't surprising that many people were angry. I believe she was by many referred to as a 'rotmeid'.

Last edited:
Thanks to Lucien and Marengo for all the xtra tidbits and information on the wedding and scandal that ensued afterwards.

I find it all very interesting :flowers:

Very interesting backstory to the wedding-despite all the drama she was a gorgeous bride nevertheless.

Last edited:
Did the family ever really warm up to CH or was he merely tolerated for Irene's sake?

Did the family ever really warm up to CH or was he merely tolerated for Irene's sake?

They all had a very close relationship with him. He was at all the major events. Even after he and P Irene were divorced.

Oh no,he was really really warmly loved by all in the Royal Family!Even after the divorce he was still very much part of all events in the family,be they happy or sad until the very last.As Carlos Hugo died in Barcelona HM Queen Beatrix send the Government aircraft KBX to fetch the remains there and take them back to The Netherlands.For IIRC,three day there was a liying in state at Fagel's Pavillion,a beautifull and beautifully restored pavillion in the gardens of Noordeinde Palace,with ALL honours!

All members of the Dutch Royal Family,including ofcourse the new Duke and Duchess of Parma,payed their respects there to their much loved former husband,b-i-l,uncle,dad and dearest friend.No really,he was much much loved ,both in the family as well as in the Country,"our" Carlos Hugo.

And then ofcourse his funeral in Parma,his coffin was flown again on the KBX,as were his children,and W-A and Máxima and the brothers and s-i-l's,Princess Margriet and Pieter and their children.Loved,yes,very much.

Lucien,
How was the relationship between the Queen and the Prince and Prince and Princess Xavier of Bourbon Parma ?

I have no idea, though I am sure prince Bernhard wouldn't have had too much patience with their odd & antiquated ideas. That they used Irene's money to restaure Lignieres castle, while afterwards Princess Madelaine disinherited her eldest son in favor of the nutty prince Sixtus wouldn't have helped either.

Last edited:
I have no idea, though I am sure prince Bernhard wouldn't have had too much patience with their odd & antiquated ideas. That they used Irene's money to restaure Lignieres castle, while afterwards Princess Madelaine disinherited her eldest son in favor of the nutty prince Sixtus wouldn't have helped either.

I wonder how Irene got on with her formidable mother in law,Princess Madeleine de Bourbon-Busset,she sounds like an 'interesting' read!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Princess Irene's Gown

At first I thought this gown was boring, however I now think it's a very lovely wedding dress. Love the lace details on the top. Not one of my favorites but still, it's a very beautiful and elegant wedding gown.

It really was a beautifull wedding gown...and remained so even after it got ripped by the crowds upon leaving the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore on their way to an Audience with HH Pope Paul VI.

The lace was from the Royal House Collection and attributed to Queen Mother Emma,her great-grandmother.

In a six hour exchange at the Soestdijk Palace, Princess Irene and Prince Carlos Hugo made it plain that they expected a lavish Roman Catholic wedding in the Protestant Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam.
They wanted all members of Europe's royal families invited.
Queen Juliana would not sanction the wedding.

In a six hour exchange at the Soestdijk Palace, Princess Irene and Prince Carlos Hugo made it plain that they expected a lavish Roman Catholic wedding in the Protestant Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam.

An Ard Ri, This statement came from A Dark History: The Kings & Queens of Europe written by Brenda Ralph Lewis.

Princess Irene chose Rome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGMekelQnc

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know where you get this information from (an old newspaper perhaps), but I fear that it is incorrect. Esp. the part about the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam, the last Orange-princess of the main line to marry away from The Hague was princess Amalia of Orange-Nassau, who married the hereditary margrave of Baden-Durlach in Leeuwarden (Frisia) in 1727. Beatrix was the first member of the family that got married in Amsterdam (in the Wester church, not the New church btw).

Last edited:

I've never heard that before,if they were to marry in Amsterdam my choice would be the Catholic Basilica of Saint Nicholas,which is the largest RC church in Amsterdam.

An Ard Ri, This statement came from A Dark History: The Kings & Queens of Europe written by Brenda Ralph Lewis.
[/INDENT]

Wouldn't put too much trust in a book that is advertised with the phrase "beneath the splendor and sophistication of the monarchies of continental Europe are tales of scandal, mystery, and skullduggery."
Maybe you should start to add the source to all the little quotes you post on these forums, because imo it makes a world of difference were a quote originates from.. :flowers:

Empress Zita was there. But the reigning houses did not send representatives as far as I know. The page boys were the sons of the groom's eldest sister and Pss Diane de Merode helped the princess with her veil. Diane's maternal grandmother was Css Gabriëlle Gontaut-Biron, née Css Bourbon-Busset - a sister of Dss Madeleine.

Among the other guests were the duke and duchess of Bragança, Archduke and Archduchess Robert, count and countess Charles Louis de Cossé-Brissac, a prince and princess [newspapers refer to 'the' Prince and Princess] of Liechtenstein, the Duchess Medina-Sidonia and the Duchess of Osuna. Various other French nobles were mentioned, some of them relatives of Dss Madeleine.

The newspapers reported that the Belgian court said they were absent to respect the wishes of the couple and the private character of the ceremony. Though another newspaper reports that Prince Xavier had moved heaven and earth to settle King Baudouin's attention on one of his daughters, which lead to the family not being very much appreciated at the Belgian court. The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg and her family were reportedly absent out of solidarity with Queen Juliana. Though one newspaper mentions that Prince Felix wanted to go but the Lux. government fully supported his wife on the matter. Other reigning houses were not mentioned in the papers.

Outside of the immediate family and Empress Zita other members of the extended Parma clan were not mentioned. I suppose the Duke and Duchess of Calabria were not there for example.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom