The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Aristocracy

While surfing the net, I came across these articles that demonstrate how active Sheikha Hind is with respect to development of Dubai and especially the UAE women:

Sheikha Hind to sponsor unique charity auction

Dubai Women's College handed out certificates to 388 graduates at a ceremony yesterday, which was patronised by Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma'a Al Maktoum, Wife of General Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Crown Prince of Dubai and UAE Minister of Defence.

H.H Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Jumaa Al Maktoum urges women to take on a more active role in business

The wife of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum, is also an active campaigner for greater opportunities for UAE women and is convinced that they are ready to take on political roles.

She seems to be quite active in social events. Speaking to some Dubai-UAE Nationals, I was told that she is greatly loved in Dubai. I wonder if she is "ok" with PH & SM's marriage. We just seem to assume that she gave her consent.... Does anyone know for a fact that she has?

Old 04-27-2004, 04:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She seems to be quite active in social events. Speaking to some Dubai-UAE Nationals, I was told that she is greatly loved in Dubai. I wonder if she is "ok" with PH & SM&#39;s marriage. We just seem to assume that she gave her consent.... Does anyone know for a fact that she has?
Well, I was under the assumption that the first wife HAS to give permission to her husband to allow him to take another wife. In fact, I think she has to sign some sort of permissary form. I don&#39;t know for sure so please correct me if I&#39;m wrong.

I was surprised to hear how active the Sheika is in Dubai soceity; since I hadn&#39;t seen any pictures of her I just assumed that she spent most of her time at home, looking after her children. Just goes to show just because you don&#39;t see someone taking an active role doesn&#39;t mean that they aren&#39;t.

Old 04-27-2004, 04:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
madonna23 Posted on Apr 27th, 2004 - 8:48 pm
Well, I was under the assumption that the first wife HAS to give permission to her husband to allow him to take another wife. In fact, I think she has to sign some sort of permissary form. I don&#39;t know for sure so please correct me if I&#39;m wrong.
That is true madonna but who goes by that these days? So may marriages have taken place in "secret" and the first wife came to find out about them later.... Then again, which woman is ever ok with her husband marrying another - it&#39;s just a woman&#39;s nature. It will be very sad to think that Sheika Hind was not consulted on this. I have been told that she was very upset and felt unwell upon hearing the news. How true that is, I am not sure, but I heard it from Dubaians who claim to know the royal family.... I guess we will just have to wait and see. Time will tell...
Old 04-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
That is true madonna but who goes by that these days? So may marriages have taken place in "secret" and the first wife came to find out about them later.... Then again, which woman is ever ok with her husband marrying another - it&#39;s just a woman&#39;s nature. It will be very sad to think that Sheika Hind was not consulted on this. I have been told that she was very upset and felt unwell upon hearing the news. How true that is, I am not sure, but I heard it from Dubaians who claim to know the royal family.... I guess we will just have to wait and see. Time will tell...
You&#39;re right...I could never imagine a woman willingly wanting to "share" her husband...but why doesn&#39;t the Sheika seek a divorce? She could fear not being able to see her children or she may not want to give up her elite position.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Nobility

"It will be very sad to think that Sheika Hind was not consulted on this. I have been told that she was very upset and felt unwell upon hearing the news. How true that is, I am not sure, but I heard it from Dubaians who claim to know the royal family.... I guess we will just have to wait and see. Time will tell... "

After reading that, I felt unwell&#33;&#33;&#33; I&#39;m not kidding&#33; My hands were trembling afterwards....

Also in an earlier post, I said that this whole engagement with no celebration and then news reports about &#39;a legendary celebration&#39; smelled bad. Well, I would like to clarify...this whole thing smells like something is baking in the oven. Once again, take a look at the engagment photos. SMo looks absolutely horrified and PHaya is....can I say it?.....glowing.

Also the news reports out of Dubai is that SMo was supposed to be in an endurance race the day he got married. Then it was announced he was not going due to &#39;previous commitments&#39;. (Did he forget he was supposed to get married or ride in an endurance race?) And then he goes and gets hitched in a country not of his own with prominent women in the UAE (Shka Fatima) talking about banning marriage between Emirati men and foreign women.

My truest and most heartfelt sympathies go to Sheikha Hind.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:44 PM
bluetortuga

Quote:
Originally posted by silver charm@Apr 27th, 2004 - 6:09 pm
"It will be very sad to think that Sheika Hind was not consulted on this. I have been told that she was very upset and felt unwell upon hearing the news. How true that is, I am not sure, but I heard it from Dubaians who claim to know the royal family.... I guess we will just have to wait and see. Time will tell... "

After reading that, I felt unwell&#33;&#33;&#33; I&#39;m not kidding&#33; My hands were trembling afterwards....

Also in an earlier post, I said that this whole engagement with no celebration and then news reports about &#39;a legendary celebration&#39; smelled bad. Well, I would like to clarify...this whole thing smells like something is baking in the oven. Once again, take a look at the engagment photos. SMo looks absolutely horrified and PHaya is....can I say it?.....glowing.

Also the news reports out of Dubai is that SMo was supposed to be in an endurance race the day he got married. Then it was announced he was not going due to &#39;previous commitments&#39;. (Did he forget he was supposed to get married or ride in an endurance race?) And then he goes and gets hitched in a country not of his own with prominent women in the UAE (Shka Fatima) talking about banning marriage between Emirati men and foreign women.

My truest and most heartfelt sympathies go to Sheikha Hind.
"Baking in the oven? Glow? Are you saying that P. Haya is pregnant? Please clarify.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Serene Highness

Wouldn&#39;t her children be grown by now? I am sure she agreed and would get a divorce if she wanted, or she would move abroad. She certainly has resources at her disposal.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:10 AM
CathyEarnshaw

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubbette@Apr 28th, 2004 - 9:06 am
Wouldn&#39;t her children be grown by now? I am sure she agreed and would get a divorce if she wanted, or she would move abroad. She certainly has resources at her disposal.
The power to divorce largely rests with the man. Hind&#39;s marriage contract will have included provisos for her financial protection.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:44 PM
Aristocracy

I have not heard of any Al-Maktoums getting divorced as of yet. Maybe a UAE citizen can shed more light on this.

A few years ago, Sheikh Maktoum (SM&#39;s brother and ruler of Dubai) apparently married a Morrocan beauty. His first wife (from a powerful branch of the Al-Maktoums) immediately left the palace but she never filed for divorce.

Also, if I recall properly, I think my friends also mentioned that SM has been married twice: once to a Lebanese lady, and another to a Morrocan. A few of his kids are from those marriages. He then divorced these wives for whatever reason, but he has never contemplated divorcing Sheikha Hind. As I mentioned earlier, I am not 100% sure about how accurate this information is.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:05 PM

I prefer P. Haya in western clothes. Her hair is one of her strongest features. Is hair considered a feature?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:09 AM
Serene Highness

I just read an article that the UAE (one of them) is in the process of marketing their wedding business to Europeans--that it&#39;s still cheaper there than in Europe.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Nobility

Bubbette

The UAE has recently started catering to the &#39;destination wedding&#39; market. It&#39;s where people pick up the whole wedding party and transport them to Dubai or similar and get hitched.

Just thought I would clarify.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Nobility

The racingpost.co.uk has just reported that Mr. Haya and his beautiful bride are in England to inspect his racehorses for this season&#39;s flat racing campaign. I&#39;m sure they will be at the Guineas this weekend. If any of you are in the neighborhood-I&#39;m sure they would love for you to stop by and wish them well.

I would send them a gift but I&#39;m certain they already have a toaster. :P
Old 04-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally posted by paloma@Apr 28th, 2004 - 9:10 pm
People think that it is a joke considering the fact that the government wants to issue a decree preventing Emirati men from marrying foreign women. At this point, even though marriage to a foreigner is not prohibited, any Emirati man who marries a foreigner is looked down upon by the society. He will find himself unable to have his pick of the best jobs etc.
Paloma,

It&#39;s so sad that people consider Haya a foreigner even though she&#39;s an Arabic/Muslim woman. I think that&#39;s aweful&#33;
Old 04-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Aristocracy

I don&#39;t think it is so much tribal. To better understand it, imagine King Abdullah taking on a second wife. Because the people love Rania, the second wife will not be very popular with the public. The reason why everyone is being understanding about PH is because they like her. If it had been someone other than PH, I believe they would be siding with Hind more.

But at the end of the day, it&#39;s their life and they&#39;re free to do as they like.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Nobility

Don&#39;t underestimate tribal connections-especially in the Emirates.

Also, I think many of the posts from people within the Emirates have stated that this union is NOT being viewed positively. And Jordanians are forgeiners in the Emirates. They might be Arab and Muslim but they are not locals. This is the way it is. Yes Jordanians are more welocmed in marriages than say an alien with 2 heads but not by much. All women I know who are married to Emiratis have faced considerable difficulty intergrating. Usually the only accepted thing to do is to break all times with the &#39;other&#39; culture-whatever/wherever it is.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally posted by nicole@Apr 29th, 2004 - 12:12 pm
Paloma,

It&#39;s so sad that people consider Haya a foreigner even though she&#39;s an Arabic/Muslim woman. I think that&#39;s aweful&#33;
But aren&#39;t the Hashemites from Jordan always stressing that they are not like everyone else because they are Hashemites?
Old 04-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Commoner

I found another picture of them together:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory_plain.asp?id=17935

Couldn&#39;t find the racing post article though...
Old 04-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Nobility

the article in question:

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/horses/?MIval=...k&page=latest14

"....The Guineas contenders had been given a day to settle in before enjoying light exercise inthe confines of Godolphin stables on Bury Road on Tuesday but it was time to take the wraps off in front of Sheikh Mohammed, his new wife Princess Haya and other members of the team....."

you have to register for the racing post, so i thought i would save you the hassle
Old 04-30-2004, 02:37 AM
Commoner