Princess Caroline of Monaco and Phillipe Junot, 29 June 1978

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I´m not sure i like her puffs at the ears

a bit of star wars over it

What was she thinking? I don' know them an dI can tell he was not the right one for her.

Guest2003 said:
I've never seen these photos before, who attended?
Mostly members of Grace and Rainier's families and some of Grace's Hollywood friends. No royalty.

Julia said:
Mostly members of Grace and Rainier's families and some of Grace's Hollywood friends. No royalty.
No royalty? I don't understand. She is the daughter of a reigning prince.

If memory serves, I think Caroline's first wedding was a deliberate contrast to her parents' eleborate ceremony. I think I've read that Grace was much distressed by all the hoopla and press mania that accompanied her wedding, and she didn't want a repeat of that for Caroline. Of course, they were both known to not have approved of Phillipe so maybe that was also a factor, too.

You are correct Jackswife. Grace and Rainier didn't want a lot of hoopla at Caroline's wedding. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that the press was not even allowed near the ceremony (only Howell Conant the family's favourite photographer) until Caroline and Phillipe came out of the palace.

And, I was somewhat incorrect. From the book "The Royal House of Monaco" by John Glatt (didn't he know that they are a princely and not royal family???): "The night before Princess Caroline married Philippe Junot, a lavish pre-wedding ball was held at the palace. The 800-strong guest list included the cream of European aristocracy and minor royalty; the representatives of the English, Dutch, Belgian, Danish and Swedish monarchies had declined to attend. Palace press spokeswoman Nadia LaCoste explained that they had 'prior commitments', pointing out it was not a state wedding."

So did he marry her for her money and prestige?

Reina said:
So did he marry her for her money and prestige?
Basically the answer is yes. Junot was a bad character. He tipped off the press as to where they were going to honeymoon and made some money off of it...bad guy.

The wedding is autside?? I am not inside the cathedral??
Say that because in the last pics that Anna R post they semes be praing and is a lot of sun.

Reina said:
What was she thinking? I don' know them an dI can tell he was not the right one for her.

My question is what was she thinking when getting her hair done. I think she was aiming for the princess Leah look from the Star Wars movie. That must have been popular since the movie came out in the 70's. This is a classic example of a bride looking back at her wedding pictures and wondering WHY him & why the hair & why the dress??

In all seriousness I find her to look very naive and inexperienced in the pictures. I'm sure she had high hopes for the marraige but also wanted to get out from under her parents' thumbs and experience some freedom.

She looked much better in her second & third weddings.;)

Princess Caroline of Monaco marries Philippe Junot - ITN Stills - Part 1

vfw2o2.jpg
vfw2yq.jpg
vfw31u.jpg
vfw36x.jpg
vfw3dc.jpg
vfw3h3.jpg
vfw3nn.jpg
vfw3sz.jpg
vfw403.jpg
vfw47a.jpg

Princess Caroline of Monaco marries Philippe Junot - ITN Stills - Part 2

vfw4g4.jpg
vfw5si.jpg
vfw5y1.jpg
vfw60o.jpg
vfw66d.jpg
vfw6dc.jpg
vfw6j6.jpg
vfw6lk.jpg
vfw6r8.jpg
vfw6xk.jpg

Princess Caroline of Monaco marries Philippe Junot - ITN Stills - Part 3

vfw760.jpg
vfw7br.jpg
vfw7e0.jpg
vfw7k0.jpg
vfw7m1.jpg
vfw8xd.jpg
vfw8zr.jpg
vfw95k.jpg
vfw9bc.jpg
vfw9ec.jpg

Certain Italian press wrote that it looked more like the wedding of the *godfather's daughter* than that of the daughter of a souvereign.

micas said:
The wedding is autside?? I am not inside the cathedral??
Say that because in the last pics that Anna R post they semes be praing and is a lot of sun.
If my memory does not fail me the wedding was celebrated in the Palace gardens.
Marc Bohan had to modify Caroline's wedding gown, because it had been previously photographed, and then pics were sold to magazines prior the wedding. In Italy they were published by NOVELLA 2000.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Very rare pics !! It's the first time that I see The princess caroline wedding's behind the scene thanks a lot Tbhrc !!:p

Last edited:
The wedding was attended by members of foreign Royal Families:

King Michael and Queen Anne of Romania
King Umberto II of Italy
King Constantine II of The Hellenes
King Fuad II and Queen Fadila of Egypt
Archduke Otto of Austria
Grand Duke Vladimir and Grand Duchess Leonida of Russia
D. Juan and D. María, Count and Countess of Barcelona
Prince Henri, Count of Paris
Prince Louis Bonaparte
Prince Karim Aga Khan
Prince Bertil and Princess Lilian of Sweden
Prince Jacques and Princess Gersende of Orleans
Princess Maria Gabriella of Savoy

Lovely pics of Princess Caroline and Philippe Junot's wedding.

Wow, Lovely pics of Princess Caroline and Philippe Junot's wedding, tbhrc!:) Where did you get those pictures? I have always loved Princess Caroline's wedding dress ever since I was young..:p Thanks for posting!:)

Original invitation to the wedding of Princess Caroline and Phillipe Junot. Additionally an official picture. source: Palais Princier

2001589773747298684_rs.jpg

2001564392306087187_rs.jpg

Well, in my opinion this was just not a good dress for a princess. I must say, though that her style has improved greatly from this miserable mishap!

One would think that she would have a better sense of fashion, having grown up where she did.

Oh well, we all make mistakes

I thought the dress was lovely ... but the hair was too Star Wars.

I read in her biography that the hairdo was inspired in the ballet, which she loves so much.

BMC said:
Whatever happened to Phillippe Junot anyway?

I read he went on to marry someone else and had children. Caroline hoped that would persuade him to support her petition to the Vatican for the annulment of their earlier marriage.

BMC said:
Whatever happened to Phillippe Junot anyway?
He married a danish woman,Nina Larsen, they had 2 girls and a boy, and now are divorced.

Back
Top Bottom