Princess Astrid Of Belgium & Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este 1984

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The dress isn't the prettiest, but they did look very happy on their wedding day and that's all that matters! Bear in mind that for all we know, the fashion we have now could be seen as being really bad in the future, like we think the 80s style is now :)

:previous: I am sure there will be elements of current fashion that people will look back on with disgust in the future. But there are classic looks which, even as trends change and we look back, stand the test of time. For me, this wedding dress does not have that timelessness about it. But, for example, Grace Kelly's wedding dress was a reflection of its time and is standing the test of time, even though there are many elements of the 50s that are no longer in fashion. The same could be said of Catherine's wedding dress, which is from present times.

Was it costumary for the bride's family to wear a special kind of hats? Because if you notice the hats of queen Paola and queen Fabiola and GD Josephine Charlotte and princess Marie Astrid are wearing the same kind of hat.

Oh good gawd! That is just a horror! People who grew up in the 80s....really?! Did you see something like that and think "Yes, it's beautiful, I'm definitely wearing that". My gawd those sleeves are atrocious. You could take the sleeves off and make her a white mini dress for after the wedding. If it wasn't for the sleeves, I think the gown would have been very beautiful.

Yes, I grew up in the 80s (and the first half of the 90s). And yes, it is typical 80s fashion. And no, I don't think it's atrocious at all. On the contrary, fashion in the 80s was glitz, excess, opulent and people were not afraid to be seen. These days mostly it has to be as basic and timeless as possible.
When I get married, I plan to have somewhat puffy sleeves because it suits my character and my frame. 80s wedding dresses - elegant, visible, opulent and romantic. And that is how I see it as it should be.

Last edited:
Wonder why the Princess-Archduchess did not wear a tiara?

Queen Paola loan her tiara to Princess Mathilde for her Wedding because her tiara present of the belgian Nobility was not ready.
She wore only one of her mother-in law tiara when her Father became King . Now this tiara is hers.

King Baudouin never gave tiaras or jewels to his Nieces , Marie Astrid, Margaretha and Astrid for their Wedding wich were Weddings with Royal Houses .

Last edited:
But her mother had one which she later loaned to her daughter-in-law Mathilde for her Wedding Day. And her mother-in-law had 2 tiaras.

Strange that her mother in law didn't loan her a tiara seeing as the Belgians are jewel poor.

Normally the brides wears a family tiara such as Archduc Martin 's wife.

Hopefully Astrid's daughters will get to wear a tiara on their wedding day unlike their mother.

Back
Top Bottom