Princess Anne & Captain Mark Philips 1973

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Mark was quite the dish, wasnt he ?
:wub:I mean, ISN'T he

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not seen some of the pictures! Princess Anne was a beautiful bride!

I don't know if anyone has seen the BBC/PBS special on Royal Weddings. It basically details royal weddings of the BRF and how they have changed with the times. I missed the first portion (where I believe they dealt with Princess Elizabeth's and maybe Princess Margaret's wedding) but I did catch the piece on Princess Anne.They talked about the economic times and the usual about the dress, members of the BRF, etc.

What I found interesting was that they also spoke with members of the Royal Band...they talked to this one guy who basically talked about them playing when the Queen walked in and how he thought it was the best they had every played (as they play the Overture I believe). Than this other guy comes in (maybe the choir director or someone) and he is like why did you play the song. The guy said, well you okay (maybe it was the code word for them to start the Queen's Song when she came in). And the choir director was like NO, I just asked if you guys were Okay!

So the basically played the song , and the Queen hadn't even arrived at the Abbey yet. So I had a little chuckle (yes, it doesn't take much for me). And of course the guy said when the Queen did arrive, they played it again and in his opinion not so well the second time.

It was nice to see snippets of Anne and Mark's wedding. They both looked extremely happy and she was a beautiful bride.

I think Anne's dress looks better in person than it does on paper. It is a unique dress and I rather like it, though it isn't my favorite. At the time of the wedding what was the general feeling about the dress?

Oh, she looks so pretty! thank you for these great family photos. I do remember when they got married.

Last edited:
BBC Documentary

Hello,

I am a researcher for the BBC and I'm trying to track down some home movie footage of the 1973 Royal Wedding between Princess Anne and Captain Mark Phillips. It is for a series about life in Britain during the 1970s.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about where to find some or knows of anyone who filmed the celebrations - either in London or in towns and villages across the UK.

Many thanks,

Alexandra

Until recently I had only seen still shots of Ann's dress and thought it was of heavy satin. But in a retrospective of the Queen's 6 decades there was a marvellous shot of her before she left for the Abbey and the skirt and sleeves had the most wonderful, almost sinuous, movement and when she walked down the aisle it shimmered and made her look every bit a Princess. She moved right up on my list of favorite royal wedding dresses.

Anne looked lovely. Almost, never looked, better. Too bad the marriage was not that enduring.

I remember getting up early before school to watch this. I loved the dress then, and love it even more now. Except for the sleeves, it really is a timeless classic.

It was nice wedding but I think Anne & Mark was rather a stiff and formal couple. I'm not sure Mark was all that comfortable in royal life.

Princess Anne's wedding was designated a family occasion rather than a state occasion.

So wa William and Kate's. Only the wedding of the heir, or the monarch if single, is considered a state occasion.

Princess Anne's Tudor wedding dress was beautiful. I am a man, but I liked her dress.

What type of uniform did Capt. Phillips wear? I like it. Powerful red uniform.

Also, what type of uniform did Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales wear?

In which coach/carriage did Prince Philip and Princess Anne travel to Westminster Abbey?
In which coach/carriage did Princess Anne and Mark leave the Abbey?

Could Princess Anne and Prince Philip have ridden to Westminster Abbey in the Irish State Coach instead of the Glass State Coach?
When Princess Elizabeth got married, she rode in the Irish State Coach with her father, King George VI. She was the daughter of the King.
Anne is the daughter of the Queen Regnant.

Princess Anne's wedding tiara was a nod to Russian Tsars

A little further reading on the Pre Wedding Gala and Wedding Ceremony in November 1973
There was a nice group of Foreign Royalty in attendance and from the photos

King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie of Greece
Queen Ingrid of Denmark,Queen Mother of Denmark
Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace.
Prince Juan Carlos and Princess Sofia of Spain.
Princess Beatrix and Prince Claus
Crown Prince Harald and Crown Princess Sonja of Norway
https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/11/14/wedding-of-princess-anne-and-captain-mark-phillips/

Back
Top Bottom