Princess Alexandra of Kent & The Honourable Angus Ogilvy - April 24th 1963

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
Toccata from Organ Symphony #5 by Charles-Marie Widor. Check out youtube, they have a number of videos. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much AuroraB, I really like this piece!!

You are welcome. You will find a variety of interpretations of the piece. It is a wonderful piece of organ music that I have not heard for many years.

I believe it was also played at the wedding of the earl and countess of Wessex, when they left the church.

You're right, Marengo; and also at the weddings of the Duke and Duchess of Kent in 1961 and of Princess Margaret and the Earl of Snowdon in 1960.

What music did Princess Alexandra come in to on her wedding day?

Her wedding gown was very beautiful. Though, I do not think it would look today but, I thought it was a beautiful dress for it's time.

Princess Anne was the chief bridesmaid.
She was given a gold bracelet as a thank-you present.

In Royal Romance, it was written:

Of all the royal brides Westminster Abbey has seen, Alexandra seemed the least affected by nerves. As she walked that long distance to the high altar on the arm of her brother, the Duke of Kent, she seemed to be positively bubbling over with joy. :rose:

Last edited by a moderator:
What music did Princess Alexandra come in to on her wedding day?

It was a hymn called Holy! Holy! Holy! written by Reginald Heber (1783-1826). The music for the hymn is called Nicaea and was composed by John Bacchus in 1861. It's a very processional hymn.

Princess Alexandra the bride left her home for Westminster Abbey in a Rolls Royce.
As newlyweds, she and Angus left the Abbey in a horse-drawn carriage.
Which carriage was this?

The announcement of Alexandra and Angus' engagement

Prior to Sir Angus Ogilvy,was Princess Alexandra linked to anyone else?

No link to anyone else, but her mother was probably hoping for her to marry a royal. Unfortunately for the Duchess of Kent, her daughter chose to marry the second son of an Earl who was a sir and being a second son means not much money like the elder brother.

According to author Christopher Warwick, Princess Alexandra was in love with the 4th Baron O'Neill who was the stepson of Bond author Ian Fleming. He instead married Georgina Scott who was the niece of the Duchess of Gloucester. Also according to Christopher Warwick it was well-known in royal circles that Princess Marina wanted her daughter to marry Crown Prince Harald of Norway, but as we all know nothing came of that. Funnily enough his father, King Olav, had proposed to Marina after the death of his wife Crown Princess Märtha in 1954.

According to author Christopher Warwick, Princess Alexandra was in love with the 4th Baron O'Neill who was the stepson of Bond author Ian Fleming. He instead married Georgina Scott who was the niece of the Duchess of Gloucester. Also according to Christopher Warwick it was well-known in royal circles that Princess Marina wanted her daughter to marry Crown Prince Harald of Norway, but as we all know nothing came of that. Funnily enough his father, King Olav, had proposed to Marina after the death of his wife Crown Princess Märtha in 1954.

I had forgotten about Princess Marina's hopes for the Crown Prince of Norway :previous:

I absolutely love this video, Princess Alexandra looked so beautiful on her wedding day (coming to think of it, Beatrice Borromeo's wedding dress is very similar to that of the Princess!) Just breathtaking to see her walk down the aisle as 'Holy, Holy, Holy' is sang. She looked like an angel.

One of the most beautiful brides ever.

Alex was very beautiful and striking and quite true to her stylish tastes — but I have heard the entire dress + veil was uncomfortably heavy, and somehow no one realized that prior to the wedding...

:previous: Nevertheless, she persisted and nobody watching was aware of her discomfort. Now that is effortless class, then and now. :flowers:

There was quite a royal gathering too compared to the Weddings of Margaret and Anne.

Royal Guests included

King Olav V of Norway
Crown Prince Harald of Norway
Queen Frederica of Greece
Crown Prince Constantine of Greece
Princess Irene of Greece
Queen Louise of Sweden
Queen Ingrid of Denmark
Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark
Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain
Prince Don Juan Carlos of Spain
Princess Sofia of Spain
Queen Helen of Romania
King Umberto II of Italy

Impressive list of guests, I was shocked (in the most positive way) to realize Queen Ena attended the wedding, did she arrive with her grandson? If so, it surely was one of the few public events they attended together, if not the only one.

Impressive list of guests, I was shocked (in the most positive way) to realize Queen Ena attended the wedding, did she arrive with her grandson? If so, it surely was one of the few public events they attended together, if not the only one.
I don’t think she attended with her grandson

There was quite a royal gathering too compared to the Weddings of Margaret and Anne.

Royal Guests included

King Olav V of Norway
Crown Prince Harald of Norway
Queen Frederica of Greece
Crown Prince Constantine of Greece
Princess Irene of Greece
Queen Louise of Sweden
Queen Ingrid of Denmark
Princess Anne-Marie of Denmark
Princess Margriet of the Netherlands
Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain
Prince Don Juan Carlos of Spain
Princess Sofia of Spain
Queen Helen of Romania
King Umberto II of Italy
Yes because I don’t think Anne really hangs/hung out with many royals like the Kent’s with a few exceptions and I don’t believe Margaret was especially close to most royals with the exception of Queen Ingrid who was her godmother

Back
Top Bottom