Prince William and Catherine Middleton: Church Service - April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello!
Some one can find me a video were you can see Kate father raising her veil??? I can not find that moment in all videios from the wedding

in did, i am looking for the video with this moment

The Queen decided William's wardrobe for his wedding? Where has that been stated? I assumed that the royal men who were in the military had a certain number of uniforms they could wear and they had to make their selection from there; and to be fair William did wear something different from previous grooms on their wedding day in England.
BTW England please start a national campaign to ban Katie Nicholls from all media outlets including personal blogs and letter writing to newspapers.

Yes, the Queen informed William that he had to wear the uniform of the Colonel of the Irish Regiment for his wedding. He's commissioned in several armed services, but had just been appointed colonel to the Irish Guards in February 2011. There was an interview by William in Robert Hardman's book, "Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II" discussing the wedding and his choice of uniform. He said half-jokingly that he couldn't refuse an order from the colonel-in-chief of the Irish Guards what uniform to wear. He said that he was told what to wear and his response was, "OK."

Last edited:
Yes, the Queen informed William that he had to wear the uniform of the Colonel of the Irish Regiment for his wedding. He's commissioned in several armed services, but had just been appointed colonel to the Irish Guards in February 2011. There was an interview by William in Robert Hardman's book, "Her Majesty: The Court of Queen Elizabeth II" discussing the wedding and his choice of uniform. He said half-jokingly that he couldn't refuse an order from the colonel-in-chief of the Irish Guards what uniform to wear. He said that he was told what to wear and his response was, "OK."

One thing that came through loud and clear in the documentary The Diamond Queen was that Her Majesty commands a large amount of both affection and authority with her grandchildren. I also got the impression that neither she nor the Duke of Edinburgh are hesitant when it comes to giving the younger generation their opinions and letting them know if their behaviour should be altered, and in fact I believe William quite recently spoke about his grandfather's unfailing directness and willingness to tell him, (William), things he doesn't necessarily want to hear.
It sounds like QEII and the DoE have been significant influences, both as family members and as "bosses", for lack of a better word, on all of their adult grandchildren. I don't doubt that if The Queen thought William and Kate should attend the memorial they would have been there, front and centre, with bells on.

Well that decision makes me go :ohmy: because the uniform wasn't that great. Queen Grandmama needs to have a talkin to by the fashion police.

I'm sorry, what?! William married in probably the most famous army uniform in the world - the red tunic of one of the Guards Regiments. There's not a man alive who wouldn't be improved by that uniform. It was also perfectly tailored (by Kashket & Partners), as is expected for an officer in the British Army. The Queen had the good sense to stop William wearing a different version of the Irish Guards uniform (I suspect the one he drove off in the Aston Martin in) that he apparently wanted to wear. Yet another thing we have to thank HM for.

Compare with Albert of Monaco's white monstrosity. Yuk.

I'm sorry, what?! William married in probably the most famous army uniform in the world - the red tunic of one of the Guards Regiments. There's not a man alive who wouldn't be improved by that uniform. It was also perfectly tailored (by Kashket & Partners), as is expected for an officer in the British Army. The Queen had the good sense to stop William wearing a different version of the Irish Guards uniform (I suspect the one he drove off in the Aston Martin in) that he apparently wanted to wear. Yet another thing we have to thank HM for.

I associated that particular uniform with Great Britain since I was a small child, and was shown pictures of Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. Definitely a famous uniform, known world over as something British (even if not the specific regiment it is associated with). I agree, Her Majesty had the good sense to recommend this particular uniform (and stick to her guns), because William looked extremely dashing. The other uniform he wanted to wear was too dark and didn't do him any favors. However, he did get a compromise and got to wear it when leaving Buckingham Palace on his wedding day. As to Prince Albert's white monstrosity, I couldn't agree more. He looked like a marshmallow, and blended way too much into the whiteness of the church and surroundings. Yikes indeed.

It was obviously an honor for him to wear this uniform and it added a dashing and festive note to the occasion as well, I thought.

Last edited:
Well that decision makes me go :ohmy: because the uniform wasn't that great. Queen Grandmama needs to have a talkin to by the fashion police.

Someone needs a talking to, but not William by the Queen. I mean...You've got to be kidding!?!

1. That uniform is internationally known as one of the things when someone sees it, is beyond a doubt something British. You see that uniform, regardless of what Guards Regiment is being worn, you know that soldier is a British solider.

2. IIRC, William wanted to wear the Dress Uniform of the RAF because he's a serving RAF pilot/officer, *but* the RAF Dress Uniform is the most drab and dark uniform across the board (from normal everyday, to the next class of uniform and then to the Class A/Ceremonial Dress Uniform) in the British Armed Services AFAIK. While I understand why William wanted to wear it, and I'm pretty sure HM did as well, that dark uniform would not have shown well to the crowds both on the way to the Abbey from Clarence House and then from the Abbey to Buckingham Palace. The Dress Uniform of the Irish Guards OTOH, not only was easily seen, but William looked so dashing and handsome in it to boot.

Considering everything else we've heard went on in the planning of the Wedding, especially w/that first guest list, the thing HM put her foot down about was *exactly* the right thing. William needed to be seen easily that day and the RAF Uniform would *not* have done that at all.

As for the photos...I hope the only time I see them is by accident when I'm out and about the next week or so and Hello Canada is there in the front for all to see. AFAIC, when they're on vacation, leave them alone.

EIIR said:

Harry looked better in his uniform, Charles and Andrew also had better uniforms in their wedding day; it is my opinion that his uniform was unattractive on him and slightly unattractive all around. I don't know if it could have worked on a other man. I remember thinking that William and Hardy needed to trade when they were off camera. Don't know the names, ranks, or anything about the uniforms except that William didn't look too good in his.

Last edited:
^^^^
The choice of uniforms are not about fashion decisions. Uniforms are about rank. Colonel of the Irish Guards is Williams highest rank, and the scarelt red coats of the Guards regiment is pretty iconic as well. Harry wore the captains uniform of the Blues & Royals which is his highest rank.

Do I need to replay my previous thread? I stated clearly what I feel about rank and history and why I didn't like William's uniform.
On the other hand
I still dont know where WnK are, but shouldn't William be getting back to work? I thought he had less than a week of leave before he had to go back to work?

Do I need to replay my previous thread? I stated clearly what I feel about rank and history and why I didn't like William's uniform.
On the other hand
I still dont know where WnK are, but shouldn't William be getting back to work? I thought he had less than a week of leave before he had to go back to work?

No thanks, you have already demonstrated your "knowledge" on the subject of rank and history, and expressed your reasoned opinion.

XeniaCasaraghi said:

I thought he had to wear it because it is his highest rank? Might been chatter by commentators on their wedding day.

veso far now and have list contact with my famiy so there is no one i can ask.....
And in my family there is a rumor that has been passed thought the generations that there was infidelity between one of my forefathers and their Master. Now master of royalty I am not sure but, no documents were found yet. I don't think they would document affairs with pride... how would I find out????

Pleas help extremely frustrated lost and possible forgotten Middleton.....
In researching your family history be sure that you are really searching the correct family. The LDS Library (usually there is one locally located) can give you instructions on how to use their facilities. They will not do your research, but will instruct. Start with yourself, find your birth records. That should give you the records for your parents. Then do theirs and on backwards. It is time consuming, but very rewarding. Good luck.

^^^^
The choice of uniforms are not about fashion decisions. Uniforms are about rank. Colonel of the Irish Guards is Williams highest rank, and the scarelt red coats of the Guards regiment is pretty iconic as well. Harry wore the captains uniform of the Blues & Royals which is his highest rank.

Wasn't William appointed as Colonel in the IG shortly before the wedding, so he could wear that uniform? Early in 2011, I believe.

Wasn't William appointed as Colonel in the IG shortly before the wedding, so he could wear that uniform? Early in 2011, I believe.

Just to clarify, are you suggesting that William's appointment as Colonel of the IG was based on sartorial considerations for the impending nupitals?

I am more than suggesting. It is not unusual in the BRF. Actually, William is a Honorary Colonel. Edward was all decked out with medals and braid that he had not earned. An experienced eye would identify the orders and medals in question and appreciate that none of them was given for active service - they are purely honorary.

I just find it somewhat amusing that the BRF feels they have to "put on airs."

I am doing more than suggesting. William is an Honorary Colonel. Edward was also wearing an honorary uniform. An experienced eye would identify the orders and medals in question and appreciate that none of them was given for active service - they are purely honorary. I'm not saying that both men didn't look nice, but the uniforms are a costume. JMO

What about Anne being awarded the Garter when she was? Was that also because the sash would match well with a dress Anne was planning to wear? What about the RFO that Camilla has? Was that to offset her emeralds? :ROFLMAO:

:previous: You are taking this much too seriously. It matters not who wears the Honorary uniforms and the honorary braid and medals, they are costumes. The BRF will wear, and have always worn, what they want. They are happy with the way they do things, so what I think is moot...except for the fact that the uniforms are just symbolic, not real.

:previous: You are taking this much too seriously. It matters not who wears the Honorary uniforms and the honorary braid and medals, they are costumes. The BRF will wear, and have always worn, what they want. They are happy with the way they do things, so what I think is moot, except for the fact that the uniforms are just symbolic, not real.

Royal appointments in the military are honorary, there is little to dispute that. However, to suggest that certain appointments are made purely for sartorial coniderations is frankly, IMO, quite ridiculous.

Pray how might this differ from an RFO or Garter being awarded because it might match a dress?

There is no difference, in my mind, male, female, braid, sashes, etc. Of course certain appointments may be made because they might photograph better. I'm not trying to say he shouldn't have worn it, I'm merely saying that his appointment to the IG was an auspicious one, as he got a really flashy uniform to wear to the wedding.

I'm now finished with this subject.

There is no difference, in my mind, male female, braid, sashes, etc. Of course certain appointments may be made because they might photograph better. I'm not trying to say he shouldn't have worn it, I'm merely saying that his appointment to the IG was an auspicious one, as he got a really flashy uniform to wear to the wedding.

I don't mean to offend, but your imperious "I'm now finished with this subject" is quite amusing!

There is no difference, in my mind, male, female, braid, sashes, etc. Of course certain appointments may be made because they might photograph better. I'm not trying to say he shouldn't have worn it, I'm merely saying that his appointment to the IG was an auspicious one, as he got a really flashy uniform to wear to the wedding.

Along with the dashing uniform Wills obtained, I'd like to think that this royal appointment also had something to do with the milestone of his wedding as was his endowment of the title Duke of Cambridge. I really don't believe the BRF doesn't things haphazardly and all things have purpose.

Very, very few of the medals worn by any Royal when wearing military uniform are 'earned'. Certainly not in the sense that Harry earned his Afghanistan medal or the DoE his WWII medals. For example, all the royals, alongside all serving British service personnel, will receive the Diamond Jubilee medal. It means nothing other than you are in service to HM on the special occasion.

But this is not just a British thing. Does anyone really believe, for example, that Albert of Monaco earned all the medals he had pinned to his enormous white wedding monstrosity in the Monaco 'Armed Forces' (does such a thing even exist)?

The issue with William and the IG - they don't just have one uniform. There are several different types of uniform which an officer in the IG can wear - not just the red tunic. Apparently William wanted to wear the uniform he wore to drive out of BP in the Aston Martin which he also wore here:

Kate and the Guards

According to William the Queen put her foot down and he wore the red tunic.

I am more than suggesting. It is not unusual in the BRF. Actually, William is a Honorary Colonel. Edward was all decked out with medals and braid that he had not earned. An experienced eye would identify the orders and medals in question and appreciate that none of them was given for active service - they are purely honorary.

I just find it somewhat amusing that the BRF feels they have to "put on airs."

I personally find it quite amusing that Non-Europeans often have problems grasping the concept of monarchy, even though they are interested in the topic or even believe themselves to be monarchists.

Creating members of a Royal Family to be honorary commanding officers of certain regiments is born out of the most important source of monarchy: Tradition, continuity and being honoured for service.

It is true that the Earl of Wessex found that he was not cut to become an active soldier. None-the-less he is a son of the reigning monarch and thus a living symbol of the spirit behind the monarchy. It has nothing to do with his own merits, it has all to do with the merits of the soldiers who are honoured by being recognized by the souverain so much that she appointed one of her own blood, a real Prince of the Blood Royal, to become their honorary commander.

It has nothing to do with "putting on airs" - Royals have no need to do that because they are born on the peak of society. A peak their ancestors have climbed and kept. A peak their contemporary subjects have a craving to keep and to look up to. Otherwise their kingdom would easily become a democracy like other countries surrounding them. But it's the people's wishes and needs that keep the Royal Family on top - not their own efforts.

I guess this is hard to grab as a concept for eg US-citizens whose forefathers decided against that concept and for another one. But it still works for the majority of Britains and especially for the soldiers of the Irish Guard who serve by purpose her Majesty and who feel honoured and rewarded for their service when a future king marries his beloved bride wearing their uniform.

Very, very few of the medals worn by any Royal when wearing military uniform are 'earned'. Certainly not in the sense that Harry earned his Afghanistan medal or the DoE his WWII medals. For example, all the royals, alongside all serving British service personnel, will receive the Diamond Jubilee medal. It means nothing other than you are in service to HM on the special occasion.

But this is not just a British thing. Does anyone really believe, for example, that Albert of Monaco earned all the medals he had pinned to his enormous white wedding monstrosity in the Monaco 'Armed Forces' (does such a thing even exist)?

The issue with William and the IG - they don't just have one uniform. There are several different types of uniform which an officer in the IG can wear - not just the red tunic. Apparently William wanted to wear the uniform he wore to drive out of BP in the Aston Martin which he also wore here:

Kate and the Guards

According to William the Queen put her foot down and he wore the red tunic.

:previous:
You have to admit, the Queen certainly made the right decision regarding his wedding day uniform. The one he wore driving is not a good look IMO :lol:

And just for FYI, Monaco does not have an armed forces so Albert wearing a uniform and his father before him is odd to say the least. Apparently Albert served for a time in France's military but I'm not sure if that's true or not... :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom