Prince William and Catherine Middleton: Church Service - April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm re-watching it again, and when Kate spoke it seems she was getting emotional sometimes. Nothing major, just like if she didn't want to "loose" it, so she hold it in as much as possible. does that makes sense?

I'm sorry but I have to say this.

The reason that there has been so little coverage of foreign royals at today's ceremony is that the vast majority of British people don't know that other countries even have royal families. The weddings of the Swedish, Danish, Norwegian etc couples received next to no media attention in the UK, except for in Hello magazine perhaps which only a very small proportion of the population would read.

So, why would the BBC spend time talking about people the British population, on the whole, neither recognise nor care about?

I mean no disrespect to any of the foreign royals but this is just the reality of the situation.

I understand, because the average American thinks the British Royal Family began and ended with Diana.

Other than HM the Queen they could not identify most of the Windsors if their lives depended on it...and couldn't care less at that.:sad:

Beautiful dress. Beautiful couple. Beautiful service. Beautiful day. I loved every second of it. I don't understand the negativity and nit-picking.

Last edited:
Also besides Catherine's dress my next favorite "item" was Grace Van Cutsem! her face expressions were too precious!
Btw, I have not seen her parents , did anyone get a glimpse of them during the ceremony?

its beacouse there is not a close friendship between the British royals and the other European royal familys.
the other royal familys in Europe have a close friendship, but the Brits have never been a part of it. And i think its sad, they should be.

(sorry if the english could be better)

They seem pretty friendly with the Greeks, so I don't think that's the reason.

its beacouse there is not a close friendship between the British royals and the other European royal familys.
the other royal familys in Europe have a close friendship, but the Brits have never been a part of it. And i think its sad, they should be.

(sorry if the english could be better)

Whatever the reason for the disconnect, it is the situation we are in. For example, I watched the wedding with my mother who is a passionate supporter of our royal family and when I mentioned CP Victoria of Sweden she had no idea who I was talking about.

Oh, and your English is very good :flowers:.

Hi everyone,

Newbie here. I just got so caught in the hype of this royal wedding that I decided to register. I've always been a royal enthusiast, though, and was very disappointed when I tuned in bright and early this morning to see the foreign royals arrive, and in the end I got nothing (even though I kept trying all the different channels broadcasting the wedding). :sad:

They seem pretty friendly with the Greeks, so I don't think that's the reason.

That's because the Greek Royal Family spent a great deal of their time in exile in England, their youngest two children were born and educated in England, and Constantine is William's godfather. Besides, the Greek Royal Family is related to the BRF through Prince Philip.

That's because the Greek Royal Family spent a great deal of their time in exile in England, their youngest two children were born and educated in England, and Constantine is William's godfather. Besides, the Greek Royal Family is related to the BRF through Prince Philip.

I know. My point was that we shouldn't say they're not friendly with foreign royals. Obviously they are friendly with some.

hey everyone, come on lets move on and smile! we are all here for a reason! I mean come on, we come from different countries its not easy to get a chance to at least talk! :p
heres something funny to cheer everyone up!
YouTube - Funny moment with a priest at Royal Wedding
priest doing funny stuffs in the church! LMAO! anyone seen it?
now im wondering if the bishops do that inside when kate and william were signing haha! just like the T-mobile youtube vid!

So much history; so much grandeur; so much beauty; so much to reflect on. We thank you, your Royal Highnesses and wish you both all that is good, fulfilling and happy. You did Britain and the Commonwealth proud.

Very nicely put. I agree wholeheartedly.

I confess I was a bit disappointed at the lack of coverage of the arrival of the other Royals. I was looking forward to that part and I don't think it would have hurt to spent five or ten minutes covering them, but hopefully I'll find pics of them somewhere.

I thought Kate looked wonderful. Her dress was elegant and beautiful and I thought she handled it all very well.

Where some folks here and there say" boring" i see dignity and britishness. This event doesn't need to be overhyped and cheesy (as the wedding of Victoria was, imho, in many ways ).
If you want this kind of stuff just watch this dreadful Lifetime TV thing.

SillyYun said:
hey everyone, come on lets move on and smile! we are all here for a reason! I mean come on, we come from different countries its not easy to get a chance to at least talk! :p
now im wondering if the bishops do that inside when kate and william were signing haha! just like the T-mobile youtube vid!

Hahaha that was hilarious.
He had to bust a move...he couldn't help it :lol:

Where some folks here and there say" boring" i see dignity and britishness. This event doesn't need to be overhyped and cheesy (as the wedding of Victoria was, imho, in many ways ).
If you want this kind of stuff just watch this dreadful Lifetime TV thing.
In my opinion no wedding has been as overhyped as this one. The hype in this case outdid the event itself which might explain some of the griping. Not that I'm complaining. I thought it a good wedding, the bride looked beautiful.

Beautiful picture of what I didn't see during the TV coverage
http://troonopvolgers.web-log.nl/.a/6a0134849851fd970c014e8826166e970d-800wi

Oh...how lovely...so that is how her veil came to be pushed back..I am so annoyed that we didn't get to see that. :bang:

I was a little disappointed that she uncovered her face so early in the ceremony..if I remember correctly Diana and Sarah did not have their veils back until they emerged from the Chapel of St Edward the Confessor after signing the register......

OMG TOO TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::D:D

He was letting loose wasn't he! I bet William and Catherine felt like doing that after they got married!

they should invite the priest to the evening dinner haha! I bet he will be dancing crazily!

In my opinion no wedding has been as overhyped as this one. The hype in this case outdid the event itself which might explain some of the griping. Not that I'm complaining. I thought it a good wedding, the bride looked beautiful.

So who did the hyping? Did someone promise a hollywood production? A Lady GaGa wedding dress? A gig down the aisle? If there was hype, it was done by those that expected something above and beyond a traditional royal wedding. Not the bride and groom, nor the RF.

So who did the hyping? Did someone promise a hollywood production? A Lady GaGa wedding dress? A gig down the aisle? If there was hype, it was done by those that expected something above and beyond a traditional royal wedding. Not the bride and groom, nor the RF.

Of course it's the media that's responsible for the hype. I thought that was implied. I don't think anyone suggested otherwise.

texankitcat said:

What are you talking about? The hyping was done by the media. The media either made people more or less excited. Of course it wouldn't be hyped by the royal family...especially the groom.

Interestingly some guy on Sky just told that Diana's funeral was so unbritish, so unroyal in some ways (on the feelings expressed for exemple) but much like a celebrity thing.He was glad that today the Windsors were back at their best in a spotless, royal and unmistakably british event.

What are you talking about? The hyping was done by the media. The media either made people more or less excited. Of course it wouldn't be hyped by the royal family...especially the groom.

The media did nothing more than what we were doing here day in and day out for months. Speculating and repeating rumours.

People can get excited but they don't have to believe everything they read. None of the hype came from the royals so why believe it.

People can get excited but they don't have to believe everything they read. None of the hype came from the royals so why believe it.

Exactly. I enjoyed some of the commentary, but the excitement was my own. I enjoyed every moment just as I did Charles and Diana's wedding.

I was very pleasantly surprised. The British and American tabloids constantly yammered about William and Kate putting their own "non traditional mark" on every part of the ceremony, but all I saw was reverence for tradition, dignity and deep spirituality...not Kanye West leading the congregation in a rap version of "God Save The Queen" like stupid Star or People Mag seemed to insinuate!

Good taste dictated the entire day from start to finish.:)

Everything got me hyped- the media, this forum, having seen Daniel and Victoria's wedding, stuff released by the palace-Every bit had a part, I just love a royal wedding....and I've gone back and forth a bit and changed my mind but have now settled on happiness, and excitment with the day and everything :)

Moonmaiden23 said:
...not Kanye West leading a rap version of "God Save The Queen" like stupid Star or People Mag seemed to insinuate!

LMAO picturing this! ;)

They didn't look bored to me, they just seemed nervous. I mean, there were massive amounts of people watching and I can't even imagine how nerve-wracking that was for them. Especially since Harry said they would have loved to have a small wedding.

Um I will surely tune in to more weddings and give my opinion on it...whether bad or good. I don't understand you people. I say my opinion and you all get upset. Well this how I feel. It was boring. Even though it was a royal wedding, it was boring...I'm sorry if it's putting you in a tiff that's how I feel. I've never been one to mince on words...I say what I feel about something. Downfall or not.
To be honest, I think all weddings are a bit boring. Parts of this wedding were boring, just like parts of Victoria and Daniel's and every other royal wedding I've watched. For me though, the boring bits don't take away from the wedding as a whole. I thought this one was absolutely lovely.

People keep harping on all the affection in Victoria and Daniel's ceremony, but I thought it was kind of one sided. Victoria seemed way more affectionate than Daniel. He actually seemed really overwhelmed and nervous (the same look Catherine and William were sporting today). He didn't actually loosen up until they got to the reception.

I know some wanted them to be more like Victoria and Daniel, but that's just not Catherine and William's way. They are a lot more subtle with their affection. There was a moment in the carriage where they held hands as they were going under the arch and immediately stopped when they came through the other side. It might be disappointing to not see them hugged up, but it doesn't mean they aren't happy.

Last edited:
One of my favorite moments was very early on. When William and Harry were moving into their places just as the bride was arriving at the abbey, he passed through the aisle between the royal family and the foreign royals. Tim Laurence was seated at the end of the row, and when William passed by looking very nervous, Tim gave him a reassuring smile. It was a quick moment, but it was nice to see William getting a little support at a crucial moment.

Just before that, Harry was fiddling with a program. He handed it to a footman (I think?) who didn't take it, but a guest sitting nearby grabbed it instead!

I think one of the problems is that people are able to see all the different ways that the different royal houses do things and expected the Brits to do the same things as other royals do.

The British do things there way - and the way they do things is exactly what happened yesterday - pomp and circumstance, dignified and traditional religious ceremony, short balcony appearance and then privacy.

The British public though are encouraged to join in by having their own parties etc and that is how they get involved.

I prefer the British way - but maybe that is because that is the one I grew up with and I like the British way of keeping a large part of the day private and share the important part - the religious service (even with Charles and Camilla - it was the religious blessing that was shared with the world).

Back
Top Bottom