Prince William and Catherine Middleton: Church Service - April 29, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the question, when they went back to the palace as man and wife, William saluted many times, and than Cathrine bent down her head. Why?

I have the question, when they went back to the palace as man and wife, William saluted many times, and than Cathrine bent down her head. Why?

To show her respect for the cause he was saluting.

The Telegraph just announced it. NO prenuptial agreement.

Royal wedding: loving Prince William rejects prenuptial agreement

Prince William's whispered words to Catherine Middleton at the altar in Westminster Abbey, "you are beautiful", are not his only romantic gesture. The Duke of Cambridge, as he now is, refused to sign a prenuptial agreement with his fiancée.

Thanks, I read it: "Once again, the Duke saluted when the carriage passed significant military monuments – and the Duchess in turn paid her respects by bowing her head at the same time."

The Telegraph just announced it. NO prenuptial agreement.

Royal wedding: loving Prince William rejects prenuptial agreement

Prince William's whispered words to Catherine Middleton at the altar in Westminster Abbey, "you are beautiful", are not his only romantic gesture. The Duke of Cambridge, as he now is, refused to sign a prenuptial agreement with his fiancée.

Somehow I'm not too surprised, and I don't think they'll ever need a prenup--they're doing everything right as far as I can tell. I think this will be one of the strongest Royal marriage, on par with perhaps HM and DoE's marriage.

No pre-nup? No matter how much they love each other, that's still odd for royals. I mean, even Frederik and Mary had a pre-nuptial agreement. I'm glad they bucked that trend, though.

There's one thing I didn't quite get... in the article about what lip-readers think the royalties actually said to each other during the wedding,it was stated that in the carriage William told Kate sth like "I don't think you should bow quite yet,you can just bow with your head"
What was he reffering to?The salutes in the carriage or the curtsy to the Queen?
Thanks in advance :)

I don't know if this is the place to ask this question, but I'll ask anyway. Do the royal women always curtsey to each other (according to rank), or do they only do it in public? It would seem kind of strange if they were getting together for a family dinner and all of a sudden Kate had to curtsey to Camilla...

No pre-nup? No matter how much they love each other, that's still odd for royals. I mean, even Frederik and Mary had a pre-nuptial agreement. I'm glad they bucked that trend, though.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but pre-nups are not a trend/tradition among British royals? I don't believe Charles and Diana or Andrew and Sarah had one. I know Frederik and Mary and Victoria and Daniel did. I *think* Grace and Rainier did too. A big stipulation of those pre-nups concerned the custody of the children who as heirs to the throne, custody is primarily granted to the royal parent to ensure they grow up in the country they will one day rule.

Has anyone seen a photo of Lady Sarah Chatto at the wedding? I cant' find one. Her niece, Margarita Armstong-Jones, daughter of Viscount and Viscountess Linley was one of the bridesmaids.

Not sure where to put this, so feel free to move it.

They are barely married and people are already thinking about babies.
The University of St. Andrews (yes, that one), have created images of how W&C children could look like.
IMO, they forgot to add the rather dominant Windsor-teeth to the equations.

Short Sharp Science: Heir apparent? Meet Will and Kate's children

When Diana married, she processed on the arm of her father and then recessed on the arm of her husband.

When Kate married, she processed holding hands with her father and then recessed holding hands with her husband.

Does anyone know why the difference or was it personal preference?

My Analysis

Well, I have to say only a Royal Wedding would press me to rise up at 7 AM on 28 April and not lay my head down until 8PM 29April, EST! I want to add my two cents as this wedding enticed me to come back to the forums and continue my passionate hobby of Royal Watching with all of you wonderful people!

The Usage of Cars: I was very impressed with the Duke and Duchess' decision to have her arrive at the church in a beautiful English car. I loved the significance of her coming into the Abbey as a commoner but leaving in a Royal Carriage to signify her change in title. A very thoughtful detail and it made me even more enamored with the princess. I have been in her corner from day one.

The Dress: Very elegant, simple, beautiful, sophisticated and fitting of modern princess. I loved the princess shape. The lace was beautiful and very intricately detailed. She looked amazing and was true to her style.

The Bouquet: A minor detail for some but but again, as modern as they are, the decision to respect tradition was inherent in the myrtle addition to the bouquet. This tradition stems to my namesake Queen Victoria.

The Ceremony: Beautiful, of course tasteful and adhering to traditional Anglican standards. I know some people on these boards are not fans of Britain's multiculturalism and what not, but I was really honoured to see some different races in the boys choir and pages who help make up the country today in there own way. This is their history too. I thought the songs were very beautifully sang and I saw some teary eyes in the audience!

The BRF: The Queen, as always was magnificent and it warmed my heart to see the crowds cheer for her to and fro the wedding. Dare I say, hey cheered loudest for her out of everyone! God Bless the Queen:) The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall were very elegant, although I did not like Princess Charles' dress. I thought it made her look dowdy, and she usually had pretty nice taste. Prince Charles looked very distinguished and happy. Eugenie...well I did like the dress, but I was not at all happy with that Hat. She looked like the Mad Hatter's daughter. And Beatrice...well, I did not like the dress. It seemed cheaply made. I don't follow them often to know their daily style, but it was lacking such an important day as this. The Duchess of Wessex was lovely. The Daily Mail, didn't like her wardrobe, but I LOVED IT. She looked youthful and fresh.

The Balcony Scene: A double kiss! That was most surprising and telling of how much these two are in sync. I love how the Duke said, "Shall we kiss?" and the princess just gave a slight nod and smiled beautifully. Then he asked, "Shall we kiss once more" and of course she complied. Lovely. You can tell the princess was overwhelmed! She came out and said,
Wow...Oh my God!" It was finally hitting her, I think.

The Duke and Duchess have been accused of having a shockingly less than Grand wedding. And it is shown in every detail. I say their wedding was Grand because it shows what socially conscious people they are. These are trying times economically and instead of a "let them eat cake" attitude they pulled off an low-key affair that was still fabulous and elegant and befitting of royalty in every way. What a great way to ensure their subjects that they are caring and just as loyal to them as their subjects have been to the Crown. I shouldn't really say this, but if I had a choice to pick which European ethnicity to assimilate to, it would be the English. Even their scandals are posh! lol

Last edited:
Osipi said:
I may be totally off base here and its just my supposition but I think perhaps swords were always "checked at the door" in any place of worship. If you noticed, Prince Charles, William and Harry all handed over their hats and gloves upon entering the Abbey. I think it would mainly be a show of respect in a house of worship.

But I think Charles and Phillip had swords? Or am I wrong? Also one of the foreign royals definitly carried a sword, can't remeber who though? Maybe Will and Harry just thought the swords might be in the way....

When Diana married, she processed on the arm of her father and then recessed on the arm of her husband.

When Kate married, she processed holding hands with her father and then recessed holding hands with her husband.

Does anyone know why the difference or was it personal preference?

As far as I know, it was pure preference. I loved it though; it was something different and had an old-world feel.

Following Diana's wedding, a lot of newspapers made the point that Earl Spencer was in many ways quite a frail man - he had had a very bad stroke. [ Indeed, whatever people think of Raine Spencer, you have to acknowledge that she did a very good job in 'keeping him going' - if you can find some of the biographies of Diana, they quote in detail how Raine 'refused to give up' when the Earl was literally hovering between life and death and 'willed the doctors on' and did her best to locate successfully new drugs that were still only in their trial stage etc and then taking full responsibility for them being tried on her ailing husband.]

During the walk up the aisle, Diana was apparently even discretely supporting the Earl at times. [I believe it was the longest that he had walked 'unaided' for quite a time].

Diarist

Royal Wedding Lip Reader Decodes Secret Conversations

LONDON -- Tina Lannin, a professional lip reader who was born deaf, caught the private whispers during the royal wedding that television microphones couldn't capture.

Lannin, who has worked for 7 years as a forensic lip reader for police forces and media outlets with O'Malley Communications, picked out comments from Prince William, his bride and Queen Elizabeth II in a partial transcript. Her assessment couldn't be verified.

___

10:20 a.m. – Prince William: "Looking forward to it." To Harry, "shall we go in then?

Prince Harry: "Sure, everyone has arrived."

William (to Bishop): "Make sure everything's alright. It's beautiful the way it is."

10:25 a.m. – William to lady in congregation: "You look very pretty, very pretty."

10:55 a.m. – Michael Middleton to Kate Middleton as they left hotel: "You okay?"

11:00 a.m. – Pippa Middleton to sister Kate: "You look amazing."

Michael Middleton to Kate Middleton as they entered Westminster Abbey: "You okay?"

Kate Middleton to her father: "Yeah."

11:05 a.m. – Kate to Bishop before walking down the aisle: "Yes I suppose so ... I expect I'll be worn out today. Thank you."

Harry to William: "Right, here she is now."

William to Middleton at the altar: "You look lovely ...(unclear)... You look beautiful."

William joking to Michael Middleton: "We're supposed to have just a small family affair."

12:00 a.m. – Queen Elizabeth II to Prince Philip: "It was excellent."

Prince Philip: "Yes?"

12:15 a.m. – William to Kate Middleton: "Alright?"

Kate Middleton: "Yes."

William: "Wish I was out."

Kate Middleton: "I'm beginning to find (unclear)."

William: "Yeah, alright." Hands bouquet to Kate after they climb aboard their carriage, "here you are."

Kate Middleton: "Thank you."

Kate Middleton: "Now, are you happy?"

William: "Yes ... (unclear conversation) ... wave to everybody."

Outside abbey – queen: "I wanted them to take the smaller carriage."

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall: "It all went very well."

Queen: "Very well."

In wedding carriage – William: "I don't think you should bow quite yet. I think you should just bow your head, okay?"

Kate Middleton: "Okay."

William: "I hope I remember ... It's mad, it's mad! Oh my goodness it ... really loudly here (unclear) these people are clapping."

Kate Middleton: "Did they?"

William: "I think so. I went out here the first (unclear)."

In separate carriage – Prince Charles: "Yeah it looked nice."

Camilla: "Yes, but you have to know how to do it."

In wedding carriage – Kate Middleton to William: "You look happy."

1:30 p.m – On Buckingham Palace balcony, Kate Middleton: "Oh wow."

William: "Alright? You'll be okay?"

Kate Middleton: "Oh I'm fine, thank you."

William: "Yeah! Yeah! There's a lot of people down here." To pageboys, "I know but look up there as well." To his bride: "Okay? Look at me, let's kiss, okay."

William, shouting balcony: "Harry! Your go!"

Kate Middleton: "What's next?"

William: "They want more time I think."

William shouting across balcony, possibly to Camilla: "You could have brought up (unclear) as well."

Camilla: "Oh, very heavy."

William: "Just do a bit of everything. Do you like the balloons (unclear) they go up in the air."

Kate Middleton: "Look at these people."

William: "I want to see the plane, I think I'm (unclear)."

William to Harry: "Okay."

William to pageboys: "...to stop them coming in here, to stop them coming in this side, I mean it's hard."

William to Kate Middleton: "One more." The couple kiss for a second time. "That's it, come on!"

Link

has anyone seen this comment at dailymail.co.uk?

"When the couple were signing the register the camera was panning around the guests. I'm sure I saw Princess Anne say 'rags to riches'. You can watch it on BBC iplayer. - Shelley, UK, 30/4/2011 16:53 I've had a look at this and it really does look like that's what she said (1hr 57 & 54ish secs on iplayer) it's all a bit weird though considering she wanted her children's titles removed so they could live normal lives! - Ibbydolla, Belfast, 30/4/2011 20:24 Yes, I've just played it on BBC iplayer and it definitely looks as if she said that. I wonder what Tim said first. Gives you some indication doesn't it, what it must be like to marry into that family if you're an 'outsider'? Mmm.....hope they treat Kate decently. - Denise, Herts, 30/4/2011 22:23 I think if it was up to them, they would continue marrying each other first cousins. Earl Spencer's girls are gorgeous and available!!!"

Read more: Royal wedding: Lip-reader reveals just what WAS said at ceremony | Mail Online

Basically, they're claiming that Princess Anne said, referring to Kate, "rags to riches".
Many people have said that seems that she did say it, but one guy said she actually says "thank you Richard".

anaforrester said:

"When the couple were signing the register the camera was panning around the guests. I'm sure I saw Princess Anne say 'rags to riches'. You can watch it on BBC iplayer. - Shelley, UK, 30/4/2011 16:53 I've had a look at this and it really does look like that's what she said (1hr 57 & 54ish secs on iplayer) it's all a bit weird though considering she wanted her children's titles removed so they could live normal lives! - Ibbydolla, Belfast, 30/4/2011 20:24 Yes, I've just played it on BBC iplayer and it definitely looks as if she said that. I wonder what Tim said first. Gives you some indication doesn't it, what it must be like to marry into that family if you're an 'outsider'? Mmm.....hope they treat Kate decently. - Denise, Herts, 30/4/2011 22:23 I think if it was up to them, they would continue marrying each other first cousins. Earl Spencer's girls are gorgeous and available!!!"

Read more: Royal wedding: Lip-reader reveals just what WAS said at ceremony | Mail Online

Basically, they're claiming that Princess Anne said, referring to Kate, "rags to riches".
Many people have said that seems that she did say it, but one guy said she actually says "thank you Richard".

Someone else said she was answer her husband and said '' yes, I think you should'' .......

Just watched bits and pieces of the ceremony again. James did a good job with the scripture reading. I had to do that at a wedding once and it's not easy as it looks. I was surprised they used the scripture in Romans. It was very fitting for the occasion.

This is random but I also loved the voice of the archbishop (the one with the messy hair. Don't know his name). It was thee perfect voice for a royal wedding.

Various lip readers are saying various things about what was being said throughout the day on friday. One that I particularly liked said that just before the second kiss William went " I love you, let's kiss again"

I still can't get what that was reffering to?
"In wedding carriage – William: "I don't think you should bow quite yet. I think you should just bow your head, okay?"

"

Any suggestions?

I still can't get what that was reffering to?
"In wedding carriage – William: "I don't think you should bow quite yet. I think you should just bow your head, okay?"

"

Any suggestions?

When the carriage passed a military display or the Cenotaph, William saluted and Catherine bowed her head as a show of respect, since she obviously can't salute them herself.

What's hysterical is the person's comments about Anne wanting her children's titles "removed". I wish people would do their homework before they open their mouths. Anne's children never had titles to remove, as their father refused an earldom when he married their mother.

Is there a reason why Samantha Cameron did not wear a hat?
I thought that was very disrespectful.

Someone else said she was answer her husband and said '' yes, I think you should'' .......

And I heard (read) that she said "as well you should be." Maybe he remarked that he was getting a little hungry!

Back
Top Bottom