The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine
How many of the other Royals are Catholic? Currently in the process of converting myself even as an adult I had to have a sponsor. Asked like a Godparent yes. It was my understanding that as a Catholic you can only have a Catholic godparent and be a godparent only to a Catholic. Generally someone the parents are close to. I am sure if I am incorrect a Catholic will respond. And its appreciated if they do.
In the forementioned case of Konstantine Alexios, who would presumably be Greek Orthodox, the godparents are of varying faiths from Lutheran (Victoria, Haakon, Frederik) to Catholic (Felipe) to Protestant (William).

Alexandra of Berleberg (presumably Lutheran) chose her cousin Alexia of Greece to be a godmother to her daughter Ingrid, and Alexia would likely be Greek Orthodox or may have converted to Catholicism because of her husband and many years spent in Catholic Spain. Alexia is also a godmother to one of her cousin Cristina's sons, and Cristina being Catholic. Victoria of Sweden is also the godmother to Catharina-Amalia -- and while it escapes my mind what faith the Oranges are, I don't think it is the same as Bernadottes who are Protestant.

I think that in many cases religion does not matter as much -- or at least it seems so here in the choice of godparents.

Old 12-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Depending on which Priest I see tomorrow night in Catechism I will find out to be be sure. Now I am wondering if I heard him wrong or if due to who they are if exceptions are made.

Old 12-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaco70s
Some ppl say that the reason why the Grimaldis are looked down is because some don't consider them of royal descent, since Francesco Grimaldi, founder of the dynasty and conqueror of Monaco was a Genovese pirate. And also there was a Spanish treaty signed in the 16th century in which the Grimaldis were granted the title of Prince by mistake presummely.
Wow they're only Royal by mistake??? what was the mistake?? O__O
Old 12-12-2004, 11:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Stephanie's godmother is Elizabeth Ann De Massy, I'm not sure if her godfather was John Kelly.

The mistake is that they were granted on the treaty the title of Prince by mistake when they didn't have one before, or so I read...
Old 12-13-2004, 06:24 PM
Nobility

Interesting replies! Thank you very much!

In the case of Konstantine Alexios' christening, some people said that this was a way for the exiled Greek royalties to maintain their status, legitimacy, and connection to other royal houses. I don't know.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarotonga
Interesting replies! Thank you very much!

In the case of Konstantine Alexios' christening, some people said that this was a way for the exiled Greek royalties to maintain their status, legitimacy, and connection to other royal houses. I don't know.
The Greek royals are related to the Spanish and Danish families and have close personal friendships with the British family. But yes I agree with you that they only chose the other crown princes and crown princesses so plump up their social status in those circles.
I wonder why they didn't ask someone from Luxembourg or Litchenstein. Maybe because those countries are too small to get them any attention.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Aristocracy

Now that Albert is Sovereign, do you think the heads of other Houses will attend his marriage (if he chooses to marry of course).
Old 04-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Gentry

I guess, yes.
1. First of all, now Albert is the head of the state.
2.The Monaco's reputation really rise up since the R&G wedding. If Albert was invited on almost all royal great events, so why another royalty must ignore his wedding?
3. Last year four royal family received new common members. Three of them are heirs of the throne. Even if Kings&Queens will not attend Albert's future wedding, minor members (Felipe, Haakon, Frederik with wives) will arrive.
4. Is the Monaco's royalty worth to attention of other royalties or not? I can't say that another royalty are much better then Grimaldi. Bernadotte was a Napoleon's general, the father of Elisabet, Georg VI received the throne by the case. The Burbons suffered Franko's board.
If Windsors still remember pirate's past of Grimaldi, they should recollect their own history with terrible murders in struggle for a throne.
I think Grimaldi are much closer to their people then Windsors, who have heaped up in the royal traditions so much that can't step now without stumble in networks of the royal etiquette.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaco70s
The mistake is that they were granted on the treaty the title of Prince by mistake when they didn't have one before, or so I read...
If it was a mistake why wasn't the title taken back?
Old 04-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Vilghelmina
I guess, yes.
1. First of all, now Albert is the head of the state.
2.The Monaco's reputation really rise up since the R&G wedding. If Albert was invited on almost all royal great events, so why another royalty must ignore his wedding?
3. Last year four royal family received new common members. Three of them are heirs of the throne. Even if Kings&Queens will not attend Albert's future wedding, minor members (Felipe, Haakon, Frederik with wives) will arrive.
4. Is the Monaco's royalty worth to attention of other royalties or not? I can't say that another royalty are much better then Grimaldi. Bernadotte was a Napoleon's general, the father of Elisabet, Georg VI received the throne by the case. The Burbons suffered Franko's board.
If Windsors still remember pirate's past of Grimaldi, they should recollect their own history with terrible murders in struggle for a throne.
I think Grimaldi are much closer to their people then Windsors, who have heaped up in the royal traditions so much that can't step now without stumble in networks of the royal etiquette.
This is what I have thought as well. None of them received or maintained their thrones under any better circumstances...
Old 12-16-2005, 03:11 AM
Heir Apparent

she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, I would have liked to see her grow older and watch her near the Cashiragi Trio...
Old 02-08-2006, 08:28 AM
Majesty

Princess Grace's wedding dress and Headpiece

Quote:
Wedding Gown and Accessories Worn by Princess Grace of Monaco (front view)
Designed by Helen Rose (American, 1904-1985)
Worn by Grace Kelly (American, born Philadelphia, 1929-1982) at her marriage to Prince Rainier of Monaco
Silk faille, Brussels lace, silk net, and seed pearls
Philadelphia Museum of Art: Gift of Her Serene Highness, the Princesse Grace de Monaco, 1956
Quote:
Wedding Headpiece
Designed by Helen Rose (American, 1904-1985)
Worn by Grace Kelly (American, born Philadelphia, 1929-1982) at her marriage to Prince Rainier of Monaco
Brussels lace over millinery wire, embellished with seed pearls and imitation orange blossoms
Philadelphia Museum of Art: Gift of Her Serene Highness, the Princesse Grace de Monaco, 1956

Source: Philamuseum
Old 02-08-2006, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for the photos tbhrc. It makes me really sad that such a beautiful and perfect wedding dress like Grace’s has discoloured and aged in such a way. :( I wish something more was done to make sure it didn't end up like that. I'm pleased it's on display so people can see it though.

I had never thought of that. Maybe it is. I have a copy of the movie, so tomorrow I'll examine her hands very closely.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Courtier

Grace's wedding dress is on of the best dresses I've ever seen
Old 03-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Nobility

Princess Grace's wedding dress will be one of my favourites for all time. She looked like a princess. My mom can remember watching the wedding on tv.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

I read in another thread that many royals turned down invitations to go to Rainier and Grace's wedding. Can anybody shed light as to why?
Old 03-21-2006, 06:02 AM
Serene Highness

her wedding gown is my favorite royal wedding gown! simply beautiful. i was thinking of having a wedding gown similar to hers, though with a little difference and the waistline won't be as high. (not that i'm getting married soon, anyway)
Old 03-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

according to "Rainer and Grace" many royals attended (doesn't say who) but the Queen declined as a matter of protocol, as she had never met either Rainier or Grace. She did send a gold serving tray. page 122
interesting history from the book (paraphasing)"The Queen and Rainier are 15th cousins, related thru Henry VII the first Tudor King. In fact most ruling houses of Europe are related through this line. It ties Rainer to the Swedish, NOrwegian, Danish, Belgian, Dutch, Luxembourger and Greek royals."end quote.
i hope this is correct. I adore Princess Grace and love to read everything about her. I think i heard her gown was going to be exhibited in the states, but haven't read anything for details, does anybody know about it?
Old 04-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Majesty

AP

Quote:
Grace Kelly's Wedding Dress designed by Helen Rose on display at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Friday, March 31, 2006. To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the royal wedding of Grace Kelly and Prince Rainer III of Monaco the Philadelphia Museum of Art will present the exhibition Fit for a Princess: Grace Kelly's Wedding Dress, on view from April 1 through May 21, 2006. Grace Kelly was born in Philadelphia in 1929. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
Old 04-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Their engagement thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...elly-4592.html