Prince Rainier & Grace Kelly: 19 April 1956

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alexandria said:
I think that whenever Albert gets married, the royal guests will likely be his counterparts for whom he has attended their weddings, such as Frederik, Felipe, Willem, etc. But likely we'll not see some of the reigning kings and queens as we saw at the other weddings, such as Sofia, Margrethe, Silvia attending Haakon's wedding.
Saying NOTHING bad about Haakon and Mette-Marit because I like them both very much, but I think it would be very rude for reigning royalty not to attend Alberts wedding based on the fact that they are not "royal" enough, when they would attend the wedding of a couple who had been living together and a bride with the reputation she had at the time. Now like I said, I am not saying anything bad about them because I really do like them as a couple and was very happy when they got married.

And that is not to say that reigning monarchy would not attend, but if they did not, I feel it would be extremely impolite.

Well when Grace & Rainier got married a lot of royals and the world in general didn't have a good image about Monaco, but throughout the years after seeing what the Monegasque princes did their conception of Monaco changed a lot, to a positive one.

I think Princess Grace and Princess Anne we very close because she visited Monaco in 1971 and invited Grace to her wedding. The Duke Of Edimburgh also visited Monaco like his son Prince Charles various times in the 70s and later with Diana they met Princess Caroline and Stefano Casiraghi on a French Chateau in 1988.

Princess Grace was good friends with Queen Victoria Eugene, who was Albert's baptism godmother, Queen Sofia, Queen Fabiola among others. Proof of this was that a lot of Royal houses attended her funeral or sent representatives.

Thanks for the explanations maryshawn and monaco70s.

I had not idea about the perception of Ranier and Grace and Monaco by the other royals during the 50s/60s. I had presumed, because I had seen Ranier and Grace attending Juan Carlos and Sofia's wedding, as well as other pictures of Ranier and Grace with the Albert and Paola, Diana, Anne and other royals that they were both well received.

Well they became well received after their wedding because I'm pretty sure that the other Royal houses saw their work was well done. I think the reason why the wedding was snubbed is that Princess Grace, was Grace Kelly one of Hollywood's most popular actresses now and back then, and we're in the mid 50s and as far as I remember royal marriages were equal, royals marrying royals. We have to remember the whole scandal concercing the relationship of the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson, well she was a divorceé...and not royal so that didn't help a lot.

I think maybe that some royals thought Grace wasn't gonna do her job well and just live a jet set life travelling around the world, emptying boutiques in Fashion capitals etc...And they were wrong because she started working as soon as she could, and with some obstacles in her way like those that were set up by Palace workers and not having a good relationship in the beginning with Princess Charlotte & Princess Antoniette.

In fact, now that you mention Juan Carlos and Sofia, they were in 1960's Red Cross Ball in Monaco, and that's 4 years after the wedding...so you can realize that some Royal Houses realized they had been mistaken.

Regarding Caroline and Stephanie's relationship with other royals, before Caroline married Ernst it's true that we didn't see her in every major royal gathering, but she attended some events as Monaco's first lady, along with Albert, ex: Carl Gustav's 50th b-day celebrations, some state visits to France (1996/7) and Spain (1992).

Princess Stephanie as we know tries to live a private life away from all the royal glitz and splendor, that's the reason why we don't see her at any Royal events. Another reason that she's not involved with other royals/heads of state is that she's not Monaco's first lady like Caroline, who assumed this responsabilty after Princess Grace's death.

Some ppl say that the reason why the Grimaldis are looked down is because some don't consider them of royal descent, since Francesco Grimaldi, founder of the dynasty and conqueror of Monaco was a Genovese pirate. And also there was a Spanish treaty signed in the 16th century in which the Grimaldis were granted the title of Prince by mistake presummely.

In regards to the Grimaldis attending special events and occasions of the other royal households -- Albert is generally the one who attends but now and then Caroline does attend, such as King Carl Gustav's 50th birthday celebrations, Queen Ingrid's funeral and various Crown Princely weddings, such as Willem and Maxima's and Achilleas of Greece's baptism in London.

I think there is a bit of a catch 22 in regards to Caroline however. In marrying Ernst August she married up and by virtue of his ancestry (relations to QEII, Constantine of Greece and Sofia of Spain) the couple would be invited to nearly everything. But with Ernst August's wild behaviour I sense that most royal households unwittingly invite him (them), and only to keep up appearances and ties is he invited. I have read that unofficially (at the private request of the Queen) he is persona non grata at Windsor events (not that they are one to judge but ...). And after he got so drunk at the pre-wedding ball for Felipe and Letizia that the couldn't attend their wedding the next day, I think he is likely headed in that direction with the Borbons, too.

With Stephanie, I suspect that if she wanted to attend something another royal household was attending she could get herself an invitation.

My understanding however, is that when such events occur, one royal household extends an invitation to another royal household and it is up to the receving royal house to determine who will represent them. Unless it is otherwise stated, as in Martha Louise and Ari's wedding, when it was requested that younger royals attend. For example, Stephanie could've attended with Albert to Felipe and Letizia's wedding.

I still think there is a bit of a "stima" about the Grimaldis however -- while Felipe, Frederik, Victoria, Haakon are the godparents to multiples of royal children, Albert isn't a godfather to a single one of them. Nearly all of the future Crown Princes and Victoria were chosen as Konstantine Alexios' godparents -- even a Bulgarian prince was included I believe -- but no Albert, or even Caroline or Stephanie.

Alexandria you brought up something to my attention that I hadn't considered before: Albert is not a godfather of any kid unlike the other heirs. And if you go back in time neither Prince Rainier or Princess Grace were godparents to any royal...

I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but Rainier and Juan Carlos are cousins in the 8th degree.

monaco70s said:
Alexandria you brought up something to my attention that I hadn't considered before: Albert is not a godfather of any kid unlike the other heirs. And if you go back in time neither Prince Rainier or Princess Grace were godparents to any royal...
I had never considered this either. For me, it begs another question: Who are the godparents of Caroline, Albert and Stephanie?

How many of the other Royals are Catholic? Currently in the process of converting myself even as an adult I had to have a sponsor. Asked like a Godparent yes. It was my understanding that as a Catholic you can only have a Catholic godparent and be a godparent only to a Catholic. Generally someone the parents are close to. I am sure if I am incorrect a Catholic will respond. And its appreciated if they do.

The Belgian, Spanish and Luxembourg royals are all Catholic as well. I'm not a Catholic myself so I don't know the answer to your other question.

Prince Albert's godfather was the late Prince Louis de Polignac, and godmother the late Her Majesty Queen Victoria-Eugenia of Spain. Don't know on his sisters.

LadyMacAlpine said:
How many of the other Royals are Catholic? Currently in the process of converting myself even as an adult I had to have a sponsor. Asked like a Godparent yes. It was my understanding that as a Catholic you can only have a Catholic godparent and be a godparent only to a Catholic. Generally someone the parents are close to. I am sure if I am incorrect a Catholic will respond. And its appreciated if they do.
In the forementioned case of Konstantine Alexios, who would presumably be Greek Orthodox, the godparents are of varying faiths from Lutheran (Victoria, Haakon, Frederik) to Catholic (Felipe) to Protestant (William).

Alexandra of Berleberg (presumably Lutheran) chose her cousin Alexia of Greece to be a godmother to her daughter Ingrid, and Alexia would likely be Greek Orthodox or may have converted to Catholicism because of her husband and many years spent in Catholic Spain. Alexia is also a godmother to one of her cousin Cristina's sons, and Cristina being Catholic. Victoria of Sweden is also the godmother to Catharina-Amalia -- and while it escapes my mind what faith the Oranges are, I don't think it is the same as Bernadottes who are Protestant.

I think that in many cases religion does not matter as much -- or at least it seems so here in the choice of godparents.

Depending on which Priest I see tomorrow night in Catechism I will find out to be be sure. Now I am wondering if I heard him wrong or if due to who they are if exceptions are made.

monaco70s said:
Some ppl say that the reason why the Grimaldis are looked down is because some don't consider them of royal descent, since Francesco Grimaldi, founder of the dynasty and conqueror of Monaco was a Genovese pirate. And also there was a Spanish treaty signed in the 16th century in which the Grimaldis were granted the title of Prince by mistake presummely.
Wow they're only Royal by mistake??? what was the mistake?? O__O

Stephanie's godmother is Elizabeth Ann De Massy, I'm not sure if her godfather was John Kelly.

The mistake is that they were granted on the treaty the title of Prince by mistake when they didn't have one before, or so I read...

Interesting replies! Thank you very much!

In the case of Konstantine Alexios' christening, some people said that this was a way for the exiled Greek royalties to maintain their status, legitimacy, and connection to other royal houses. I don't know.

rarotonga said:
Interesting replies! Thank you very much!

In the case of Konstantine Alexios' christening, some people said that this was a way for the exiled Greek royalties to maintain their status, legitimacy, and connection to other royal houses. I don't know.
The Greek royals are related to the Spanish and Danish families and have close personal friendships with the British family. But yes I agree with you that they only chose the other crown princes and crown princesses so plump up their social status in those circles.
I wonder why they didn't ask someone from Luxembourg or Litchenstein. Maybe because those countries are too small to get them any attention.

Now that Albert is Sovereign, do you think the heads of other Houses will attend his marriage (if he chooses to marry of course).

I guess, yes.
1. First of all, now Albert is the head of the state.
2.The Monaco's reputation really rise up since the R&G wedding. If Albert was invited on almost all royal great events, so why another royalty must ignore his wedding?
3. Last year four royal family received new common members. Three of them are heirs of the throne. Even if Kings&Queens will not attend Albert's future wedding, minor members (Felipe, Haakon, Frederik with wives) will arrive.
4. Is the Monaco's royalty worth to attention of other royalties or not? I can't say that another royalty are much better then Grimaldi. Bernadotte was a Napoleon's general, the father of Elisabet, Georg VI received the throne by the case. The Burbons suffered Franko's board.
If Windsors still remember pirate's past of Grimaldi, they should recollect their own history with terrible murders in struggle for a throne.
I think Grimaldi are much closer to their people then Windsors, who have heaped up in the royal traditions so much that can't step now without stumble in networks of the royal etiquette.

Last edited:
monaco70s said:
The mistake is that they were granted on the treaty the title of Prince by mistake when they didn't have one before, or so I read...

If it was a mistake why wasn't the title taken back?

Alice Vilghelmina said:
I guess, yes.
1. First of all, now Albert is the head of the state.
2.The Monaco's reputation really rise up since the R&G wedding. If Albert was invited on almost all royal great events, so why another royalty must ignore his wedding?
3. Last year four royal family received new common members. Three of them are heirs of the throne. Even if Kings&Queens will not attend Albert's future wedding, minor members (Felipe, Haakon, Frederik with wives) will arrive.
4. Is the Monaco's royalty worth to attention of other royalties or not? I can't say that another royalty are much better then Grimaldi. Bernadotte was a Napoleon's general, the father of Elisabet, Georg VI received the throne by the case. The Burbons suffered Franko's board.
If Windsors still remember pirate's past of Grimaldi, they should recollect their own history with terrible murders in struggle for a throne.
I think Grimaldi are much closer to their people then Windsors, who have heaped up in the royal traditions so much that can't step now without stumble in networks of the royal etiquette.

This is what I have thought as well. None of them received or maintained their thrones under any better circumstances...

she was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, I would have liked to see her grow older and watch her near the Cashiragi Trio...

Princess Grace's wedding dress and Headpiece

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Wedding Gown and Accessories Worn by Princess Grace of Monaco (front view)
Designed by Helen Rose (American, 1904-1985)
Worn by Grace Kelly (American, born Philadelphia, 1929-1982) at her marriage to Prince Rainier of Monaco
Silk faille, Brussels lace, silk net, and seed pearls
Philadelphia Museum of Art: Gift of Her Serene Highness, the Princesse Grace de Monaco, 1956

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Wedding Headpiece
Designed by Helen Rose (American, 1904-1985)
Worn by Grace Kelly (American, born Philadelphia, 1929-1982) at her marriage to Prince Rainier of Monaco
Brussels lace over millinery wire, embellished with seed pearls and imitation orange blossoms
Philadelphia Museum of Art: Gift of Her Serene Highness, the Princesse Grace de Monaco, 1956

ne96k8.jpg
ne96kw.jpg
ne96o4.jpg

Source: Philamuseum
[/FONT]

Thanks for the photos tbhrc. It makes me really sad that such a beautiful and perfect wedding dress like Grace’s has discoloured and aged in such a way. :( I wish something more was done to make sure it didn't end up like that. I'm pleased it's on display so people can see it though.

I had never thought of that. Maybe it is. I have a copy of the movie, so tomorrow I'll examine her hands very closely. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Grace's wedding dress is on of the best dresses I've ever seen:rolleyes:

Princess Grace's wedding dress will be one of my favourites for all time. She looked like a princess. My mom can remember watching the wedding on tv.

I read in another thread that many royals turned down invitations to go to Rainier and Grace's wedding. Can anybody shed light as to why?

her wedding gown is my favorite royal wedding gown! simply beautiful. i was thinking of having a wedding gown similar to hers, though with a little difference and the waistline won't be as high. (not that i'm getting married soon, anyway) ;)

according to "Rainer and Grace" many royals attended (doesn't say who) but the Queen declined as a matter of protocol, as she had never met either Rainier or Grace. She did send a gold serving tray. page 122
interesting history from the book (paraphasing)"The Queen and Rainier are 15th cousins, related thru Henry VII the first Tudor King. In fact most ruling houses of Europe are related through this line. It ties Rainer to the Swedish, NOrwegian, Danish, Belgian, Dutch, Luxembourger and Greek royals."end quote.
i hope this is correct. I adore Princess Grace and love to read everything about her. I think i heard her gown was going to be exhibited in the states, but haven't read anything for details, does anybody know about it?

AP

Grace Kelly's Wedding Dress designed by Helen Rose on display at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, Friday, March 31, 2006. To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the royal wedding of Grace Kelly and Prince Rainer III of Monaco the Philadelphia Museum of Art will present the exhibition Fit for a Princess: Grace Kelly's Wedding Dress, on view from April 1 through May 21, 2006. Grace Kelly was born in Philadelphia in 1929. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

spdob8.jpg
spdoci.jpg
spdod1.jpg
spdogh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom