The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

All I have read is the British Royal family declined the invitation to Prince Rainier's marriage to Princess Grace. There was a list of 600 or 800 guests depending on the source.

Princess Caroline's marriage to Philippe Junot had a pre-wedding ball held at the Palace. The guest list was 800 including the cream of European aristocracy and minor royalty; the representatives of the English, Dutch, Beligian, Danish and Swedish monarchies had declined to attend.

Princess Stephanie was marriage to Daniel in a civil cermony at town hall. Forty people attended including her family. Prince Albert was the only close family member to attend the dinner. To my knowledge none were present at her second marriage.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:14 PM
Nobility

I'd be curious to see if representatives of the British, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish royal families will attend Albert's wedding.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarotonga
I'd be curious to see if representatives of the British, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish royal families will attend Albert's wedding.
You know I find it funny that the Sovereign Prince of Monaco is the only ABSOLUTE ruler of any european country and the other royal households feel like they are the "Black Sheep" royals.

Watching some programs this weekend on different royal families they talked about how most of them had no power and merely there to represent their country. I think they used Sweden as an example.

So I just don't understand in anything that has been written about how the other royal households feel superior and decline invitations to events in Monaco.

One royal family sure to attend will be the Italian Royals since Albert did have something to do with Clotilde and Emmanualle Filiberto meeting. And they are supposed to be really good friends.

But I am sure some would attend as the royal houses are changing with more modern monarchs. And with Ernst August of Hannover being married to HRH Caroline, you could bet on the being that family represented as well.

Okay enough rambling. I will get back to my less than regal life.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyMacAlpine
All I have read is the British Royal family declined the invitation to Prince Rainier's marriage to Princess Grace. There was a list of 600 or 800 guests depending on the source.

Princess Caroline's marriage to Philippe Junot had a pre-wedding ball held at the Palace. The guest list was 800 including the cream of European aristocracy and minor royalty; the representatives of the English, Dutch, Beligian, Danish and Swedish monarchies had declined to attend.

Princess Stephanie was marriage to Daniel in a civil cermony at town hall. Forty people attended including her family. Prince Albert was the only close family member to attend the dinner. To my knowledge none were present at her second marriage.
I can understand why some royals declined invitations (or weren't invited at all) to Caroline's three weddings and Stephanie's two weddings, but why did they turn down the invitations to Ranier and Grace's wedding?

I think that whenever Albert gets married, the royal guests will likely be his counterparts for whom he has attended their weddings, such as Frederik, Felipe, Willem, etc. But likely we'll not see some of the reigning kings and queens as we saw at the other weddings, such as Sofia, Margrethe, Silvia attending Haakon's wedding.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Albert is very private person. I would like to say when he makes that commitment it would be very private for that reason however the situation require's more. His marriage unlike his sisters would be a State affair like his parents. Its sad when the day that is suppose to be considered your day with the person you love and chose to marry can't be the type of union you would like. Hey you never know he might already be married.
Old 12-11-2004, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes,i also think no Monarch at Prince Albert's Wedding.Maybe only the representive of them maybe:
.Britain: Prince Charles
.Denmark: Prince Frederik and Princess Mary
.The Netherlands: Maybe Constantijn and Laurentien.
But do the Monacan Royal Family have relationship with other Royal families.I usually saw Prince Albert goes with Prince Charles at Royal weddings,or funerals.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 12-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

When Prince Rainier and Princess Grace got married the only royal present was King Farouk Of Egypt.

When Caroline married Phillipe Junot the Count and Countess of Barcelona were present. Her other 2 weddings were mainly a private ocassion so that's the reason why there weren't any royals and only family members and close friends. The same can be said about Princess Stephanie's weddings, while on her 1995 wedding was attended by her family, her 2003 wedding wasn't, but Prince Albert telephoned her that day, or so it has been said.

Since Albert's wedding will be a state wedding I'm pretty sure we'll see some royals and heads of state because he has a very good relationship with most of them.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent

that good answer question,monaco70

i think Prince Albert would chose different country like CP Frederick who marry to Mary Donaldson in May 2004 both wanted have lavish wedding or gala wedding used as tiara.

if he wanted chose as perfect wife they would used have lavish or gala wedding if following intives of tiara or hats choses or military suites or morning suites.

i would understand Albert is private person but he dont wanted copy his sister's wedding like that but he is 46 years old same my mum's ages! but im sure if he would wanted bigger wedding or small wedding like his sister did! no matter!

Sara Boyce
Old 12-12-2004, 03:04 AM
Serene Highness

Why Royals "Snubbed" Grace/Ranier Wedding

Hi there! Interesting question. Re: British royals, Queen Elizabeth did not feel House of Monaco was worthy of her attendance although her husband disagreed and wanted to attend. I think they sent a tray.....Grace and Ranier were disappointed. Many royal families see/saw Monaco and this marriage in particular, as a "show biz" wedding and did not deem it worthy of attendance 'tho gifts were sent. Grace gradually endeared herself to many--suffice to say, perhaps a few later regretted their decision to not attend. Monaco's reputation as a "sunny place for shady people" likely didn't enhance respectability and therefore suitability of attending occasion. And the British family DID attend Grace's funeral by sending Princess Diana.....although originally wanted Prince Charles to go but he had obligations and Diana loved Grace for her kindnesses to her from the start. Caroline's new status makes her status--marrying relative of QE--more royal but does that translate into attendance of more royals at other weddings? That one I simply don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
I can understand why some royals declined invitations (or weren't invited at all) to Caroline's three weddings and Stephanie's two weddings, but why did they turn down the invitations to Ranier and Grace's wedding?

I think that whenever Albert gets married, the royal guests will likely be his counterparts for whom he has attended their weddings, such as Frederik, Felipe, Willem, etc. But likely we'll not see some of the reigning kings and queens as we saw at the other weddings, such as Sofia, Margrethe, Silvia attending Haakon's wedding.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaco70s
When Prince Rainier and Princess Grace got married the only royal present was King Farouk Of Egypt.
Golly that's all??? doesn't Monaco's Royalt family have a good relationship with other Royal families???
Old 12-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Saying NOTHING bad about Haakon and Mette-Marit because I like them both very much, but I think it would be very rude for reigning royalty not to attend Alberts wedding based on the fact that they are not "royal" enough, when they would attend the wedding of a couple who had been living together and a bride with the reputation she had at the time. Now like I said, I am not saying anything bad about them because I really do like them as a couple and was very happy when they got married.

And that is not to say that reigning monarchy would not attend, but if they did not, I feel it would be extremely impolite.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well when Grace & Rainier got married a lot of royals and the world in general didn't have a good image about Monaco, but throughout the years after seeing what the Monegasque princes did their conception of Monaco changed a lot, to a positive one.

I think Princess Grace and Princess Anne we very close because she visited Monaco in 1971 and invited Grace to her wedding. The Duke Of Edimburgh also visited Monaco like his son Prince Charles various times in the 70s and later with Diana they met Princess Caroline and Stefano Casiraghi on a French Chateau in 1988.

Princess Grace was good friends with Queen Victoria Eugene, who was Albert's baptism godmother, Queen Sofia, Queen Fabiola among others. Proof of this was that a lot of Royal houses attended her funeral or sent representatives.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for the explanations maryshawn and monaco70s.

I had not idea about the perception of Ranier and Grace and Monaco by the other royals during the 50s/60s. I had presumed, because I had seen Ranier and Grace attending Juan Carlos and Sofia's wedding, as well as other pictures of Ranier and Grace with the Albert and Paola, Diana, Anne and other royals that they were both well received.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well they became well received after their wedding because I'm pretty sure that the other Royal houses saw their work was well done. I think the reason why the wedding was snubbed is that Princess Grace, was Grace Kelly one of Hollywood's most popular actresses now and back then, and we're in the mid 50s and as far as I remember royal marriages were equal, royals marrying royals. We have to remember the whole scandal concercing the relationship of the Duke of Windsor and Wallis Simpson, well she was a divorceé...and not royal so that didn't help a lot.

I think maybe that some royals thought Grace wasn't gonna do her job well and just live a jet set life travelling around the world, emptying boutiques in Fashion capitals etc...And they were wrong because she started working as soon as she could, and with some obstacles in her way like those that were set up by Palace workers and not having a good relationship in the beginning with Princess Charlotte & Princess Antoniette.

In fact, now that you mention Juan Carlos and Sofia, they were in 1960's Red Cross Ball in Monaco, and that's 4 years after the wedding...so you can realize that some Royal Houses realized they had been mistaken.

Regarding Caroline and Stephanie's relationship with other royals, before Caroline married Ernst it's true that we didn't see her in every major royal gathering, but she attended some events as Monaco's first lady, along with Albert, ex: Carl Gustav's 50th b-day celebrations, some state visits to France (1996/7) and Spain (1992).

Princess Stephanie as we know tries to live a private life away from all the royal glitz and splendor, that's the reason why we don't see her at any Royal events. Another reason that she's not involved with other royals/heads of state is that she's not Monaco's first lady like Caroline, who assumed this responsabilty after Princess Grace's death.

Some ppl say that the reason why the Grimaldis are looked down is because some don't consider them of royal descent, since Francesco Grimaldi, founder of the dynasty and conqueror of Monaco was a Genovese pirate. And also there was a Spanish treaty signed in the 16th century in which the Grimaldis were granted the title of Prince by mistake presummely.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Heir Apparent

In regards to the Grimaldis attending special events and occasions of the other royal households -- Albert is generally the one who attends but now and then Caroline does attend, such as King Carl Gustav's 50th birthday celebrations, Queen Ingrid's funeral and various Crown Princely weddings, such as Willem and Maxima's and Achilleas of Greece's baptism in London.

I think there is a bit of a catch 22 in regards to Caroline however. In marrying Ernst August she married up and by virtue of his ancestry (relations to QEII, Constantine of Greece and Sofia of Spain) the couple would be invited to nearly everything. But with Ernst August's wild behaviour I sense that most royal households unwittingly invite him (them), and only to keep up appearances and ties is he invited. I have read that unofficially (at the private request of the Queen) he is persona non grata at Windsor events (not that they are one to judge but ...). And after he got so drunk at the pre-wedding ball for Felipe and Letizia that the couldn't attend their wedding the next day, I think he is likely headed in that direction with the Borbons, too.

With Stephanie, I suspect that if she wanted to attend something another royal household was attending she could get herself an invitation.

My understanding however, is that when such events occur, one royal household extends an invitation to another royal household and it is up to the receving royal house to determine who will represent them. Unless it is otherwise stated, as in Martha Louise and Ari's wedding, when it was requested that younger royals attend. For example, Stephanie could've attended with Albert to Felipe and Letizia's wedding.

I still think there is a bit of a "stima" about the Grimaldis however -- while Felipe, Frederik, Victoria, Haakon are the godparents to multiples of royal children, Albert isn't a godfather to a single one of them. Nearly all of the future Crown Princes and Victoria were chosen as Konstantine Alexios' godparents -- even a Bulgarian prince was included I believe -- but no Albert, or even Caroline or Stephanie.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Alexandria you brought up something to my attention that I hadn't considered before: Albert is not a godfather of any kid unlike the other heirs. And if you go back in time neither Prince Rainier or Princess Grace were godparents to any royal...

I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but Rainier and Juan Carlos are cousins in the 8th degree.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaco70s
Alexandria you brought up something to my attention that I hadn't considered before: Albert is not a godfather of any kid unlike the other heirs. And if you go back in time neither Prince Rainier or Princess Grace were godparents to any royal...
I had never considered this either. For me, it begs another question: Who are the godparents of Caroline, Albert and Stephanie?
Old 12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

How many of the other Royals are Catholic? Currently in the process of converting myself even as an adult I had to have a sponsor. Asked like a Godparent yes. It was my understanding that as a Catholic you can only have a Catholic godparent and be a godparent only to a Catholic. Generally someone the parents are close to. I am sure if I am incorrect a Catholic will respond. And its appreciated if they do.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Royal Highness

The Belgian, Spanish and Luxembourg royals are all Catholic as well. I'm not a Catholic myself so I don't know the answer to your other question.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Prince Albert's godfather was the late Prince Louis de Polignac, and godmother the late Her Majesty Queen Victoria-Eugenia of Spain. Don't know on his sisters.